Is it the future? Will we see the death of physical consumer hardware and the rise of "hardware subscriptions?"

Is it the future? Will we see the death of physical consumer hardware and the rise of "hardware subscriptions?"

Is there a FOSS solution to creating my own low-latency cloud computing network? Ex: setting up a server and streaming it to a SBC or something.

Attached: index.jpg (322x157, 8.01K)

Other urls found in this thread:

geekwire.com/2018/dropbox-saved-almost-75-million-two-years-building-tech-infrastructure/
steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/2650805212057939028/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, that's completely retarded. Amazon, Microsoft, and Jewgle know that even if they combine all their hosting infrastructure they still will not have anywhere near the capacity to deliver realtime applications to every computer user on the planet. That and the offline storage industry is simply too powerful to take down.

They want it, and people want to give it to them. I think it's only a matter of time until it happens.

they simply need to get a majority of firstworld users to accept it and eventually it will become commonplace - which is currently happening (microsoft office online, amazon EC2, etc.)
also, anyone remember that thread that was up about some company doing something that inhibits local storage?

they will bring the NWO

Support your local mom&pops VPS provider!

Another question is - will a handful of huge cloud/AI corporations effectively subsume all of tech, as all local software, platforms, and infrastructure is dismantled and moved into their datacenters? Will the only available career in tech be to work fro these megacorps?

Not in the near future. Right now companies that are based on Free software / hardware are growing.

What? It's much better to sell storage in bulk to a few parties that having to deal with hundreds if not thousands of resellers so they can offer them to consumers.

Just like Linux grew from 1% to 2% in a decade and a half?

But eventually yes? Also, what is "near" future exactly, the next 5, 10, 20, 40 years?

No its not, offline storage for consumers is an evergreen commodity that companies can sell for a significantly higher price than bulk

Yes, that's pretty much why IBM quit doing consumer stuff towards the mid 00s and sold it all off to Lenovo. Seagate and WD would love to quit dealing putting their products onto the consumer market and instead just sell huge quantities to a small number of business partners.

Then why is the "you have to keep your shit in the """cloud""", goy" thing being pushed since years? Why ist the rental culture where you don't own anything being engrained in the younger generation's minds?

I have heard many opinions recently that designing and maintaing local infrastructure just isn't viable anymore, because at this point it will always be less flexible, more expensive, and often even less performant that moving everything to IaaS.

How does the "devops" meme tie into this (where a "devops" is often supposed to be a system admin, network admin, backend developer, frontend developer, web developer, QA, 3 lines of support etc. etc. all in one)? Is it because all of these roles as local staff are becoming obsolete anyway, so everything is being rolled into one, with eventually getting rid of all the local IT staff except for just a handful "superdevops" who maily liaise with the cloud services provider?

So used to be landline telephones and typewriters.

It's not retarded if they can create the demand for these services and it's not about realtime applications either.

Just look at Netflix, your average consumer isn't interested in buying physical media anymore if they can pay a subscription fee and get all the media they want on any device they own. Same thing with Steam where the hard drive is just a cache for game content downloaded from their servers. All of the consoles from this generation require subscriptions for online use that provide digitial distribution of games.

Want to use Adobe software? Since 2013 it's on the cloud subscription business model where you're renting their software. For Autodesk software they switched to it in 2017. It's quickly becoming the rule rather than the exception for all proprietary software.

Hardware subscriptions and SaaS doesn't mean everything is done remotely and delivered to a thin client. All they need to do is incorporate a small portion of the processing remotely or only provide you with a small portion of the media content at a time and you'll be unable to use their service without an internet connection. It's also much less likely you'll be able to escape their vendor lock-in as well.

And the vast majority of consumers love it.

I was "devop" long before the meme existed (late 90's through early 00's). I was working at a startup as the only technical staff. I did everything: sysadmin, security, architecture, DBA, software dev, QA, etc. Had around a dozen servers in various co-location facilities in different countries (our own servers that I built/tested and we physically brought there and hooked-up). Only thing I didn't do is run the network at the data centers. In the end, I hardly made any money. I'm sure more companies would do this if they could get away with it.

They also love 16:9 displays, shit keyboards, botnet hardware, spying OS, and buying the same shit over and over again in different formats.

They do not love any of that shit. They just don't care. Mostly because they don't understand the problems.

you don't give a shit either which is why you are posting on this shitty spyware site that sells user data while using a 10 million LOC browser

You're pretty stupid tbh.

hahahaha

The point is that you're equating two different things by a criteria that isn't comparable. That post isn't attacking your argument because of fallacy, because that would imply that you had an argument to begin with.

>geekwire.com/2018/dropbox-saved-almost-75-million-two-years-building-tech-infrastructure/
I don't know what Amamzon's payment plan looks like, but looks like it is not very good for at least medium-to-big players in the market.

That's a load of horseshit I've heard the same thing over and over again over the years but each time they don't realize what control they loose over such services.
Control comes at a cost yes that was always like that.

In 2006 it was data storage via internet on servers that was cheaper
In 2008 it was thin clients that were cheaper.
In 2010~11 it was VMware that was cheaper.
In 2012 it was data storage in the "cloud" that was cheaper.

Don't take the BaitHype of muh less cost so easily, each time these people open their mouth to say that it cost less they don't take into account the technical debt that comes with it and it's difficult to evaluate the possible technical debt when your infrastructures are dependent on obscure third parties.

The Cloud™ is the same as any other form of outsourcing in that regard. It looks great on a monthly balance sheet or a quarterly report, but it fucks with your bottom line in the long term. Sooner or later you will run into situations where you need something fixed RIGHT NOW, or need a solution that EXACTLY fits your needs, or the bad quality of outsourced work will catch up with you, and the extra cost of paying someone else to do it will eat up all the supposed savings of not maintaining a dedicated staff and/or hardware.
I started my career with IT service providers (long before The Cloud™ or outsourcing to foreign countries became a thing) and this happened to every single one of our clients who relied on outsourcing past the start-up phase. It also happened to every single company I served as a consultant and which insisted on outsourcing, since. It's not just IT services, either. Outsourcing anything you need every day will cost you more in the long term. Even stuff like facilities maintenance or fleet management.
Outsourcing is great when you have no capital and little confidence in your enterprise, but it will always cost you extra in the long term. That's how service providers make their money.

Wew lad you have really great reasoning skills there

Maybe because the totally not controlled market suddenly shifted and don't propose physical media anymore.

And when you want to backup your game you need a internet connection, when you want to restore it you need an internet connection, these people truly own their "rented" product.

And people asked for that too ?
Nowadays adobe "cloud" analyze the documents when you save one to see if you have a legal license to use certain images or fonts.

No they don't they're niggercattles and don't know better because the average knowledge of 99% of users on a scale to 0 to 10 is -5
People are still seeing computer as magic, they don't know of other solutions, they just go with the flow of shit that comes and the commercial world knows that very well.

When you think of it the "openSource" hype that MS, Google and other infectors did shows how much they are scarred of free software, they would loose a lot of control over people, they could still sell anything they want but that isn't important to them what's important is that people don't get control of their own computing.

Seems that you learned the hard way, sadly a lot of knowledge from the 70s/80s weren't passed in the educational system, all of this isn't new at all but people seem to do the same mistakes again and again, I don't know why exactly.
This

Or, like Linux grew from 0% to 98% of all public facing internet servers in 25 years. Or, like it grew to 100% of the top 500 super computers. Or, almost 70% of the mobile market.

Do you really think that non-tech people are such idiots?
Thing that people love is digital distribution.
It makes getting media and software easy.
People generally dislike cloud things because in 99% of cases it means some sort of lock-in.
People mostly do not care about cloud part of software that they are using as long as it does not interfere with their usage of software.

oh yeah that's why everyone is using iCloud and all those other cloud services right?

They are using them because they don't think they have a choice and because they do not understand why having a choice would matter.
Normal people will use whatever you set in front of them. Until it hurts them so much that they notice and can't ignore it. At that point markets tend to change rather rapidly.

Attached: werwolf_pin_lg.jpg (400x382, 197.79K)

Normies use shit that works without having to had a degree in CS. Any asshole can start using an iphone, I know tons of old people that use them. Installing an OS though? Using PGP? Way harder.

Attached: ashkenazi_jew.png (635x892, 599.41K)

They don't know any better. Pic somewhat related, as the difference in functional intelligence between most IT professionals and a normal adult is about as big as the difference between a normal adult and a seven year old child.

Attached: confused-little-girl-29280689.jpg (1300x956, 112.78K)

At least seven year old child has curiosity to figure shit out.

But what can they do if they get a locked down proprietary google phone where they do not even have root?

Society is shit.

Attached: faaaaaaaaaaaaaa.png (473x413, 172.86K)

A child will never build a house, if you give it just a single building block. But it will throw the block away and build a house out of mud or go to the guy who has a whole heap of blocks, when it grows bored.

Attached: buildingblocks.jpg (1024x748, 165.81K)

You must have no concept what normies are actually like. They have no idea how computers work.

"User is not stupid, user is very smart but also very busy, with something other than computers"
- Some famous computer wizard, paraphrased

If you're smart then you would not have a problem with computers.
Stupid quote, just as stupid as you.

They serve the same purpose, but they're not identical. Links is several orders of magnitude smaller than Firefox and doesn't expose your computer to javascript. 8ch doesn't know your real identity (facebook requires you to validate it) and doesn't track relationships between users because nobody even has so much as an alias (except maybe eternal tripfags but that's their own problem).

If you were smart you would not bother with computers, either.
Sadly, we are stuck with computers and users. The only ways out are to get rid of the computers or to keep the users away from them.

I can understand links. No single human being can understand Firefox, or any other modern browser, as a whole.

Yeah they do all calculations in their smart heads right?

>

Smart people don't need to do complex calculations. They have people like us to worry about such things.

People see software that used to cost several hundred dollars for a license offered at 99$ a year and absolutely love it. It appears to be cheaper and much more convienent to them so what's not to love?

Also just remembered that in the latest Metal Gear Solid game you're not even allowed to save your file locally anymore and they charge money to have more than one save slot. We're finally past the point where always connected DRM is required to them charging for using it. Another example of 'cloud gaming' that will become standard in a few years.

The entire point of modern digital distribution and cloud computing is to find new innovative ways of fucking over your customers and convicing them it's a good thing.

I've heard through the grapevine that Amazon is doing virtual windows desktops for some larger companies as thin clients.

Amazon is offering Windows desktops to everybody with a credit card or an IBAN. Their GPU instances are even good enough for some light gaming. You could probably register a free account and take one for a spin right now, if you want.

Sucks for them. I'll take 1980's games over any of this nonsense.

Attached: b39ace4d.png (256x212, 2.4K)

You say that, but they keep trying to make everyone and everything depend on them, they have never stopped and they haven't shown any intention of stopping.

If computers were an optional commodity an average human could live without, like doctor's equipment, or even a car then yes. But nowadays computer literacy already came to a borderline of being the new literacy. You either are the ruling class corporation owner, the servant Google/MS/Redhat employee, self-educated middleman hope you are here or a full serf peasant average normie who never seen computers other than his iphone in terms of computer-related freedoms which in fact already substitute basic citizenship freedoms in some yay-IT-superpower countries where you can't vote for repairing road potholes or some shit without "download our e-gov app on google play" kikery or using proprietary javascript-ridden websites that accidentally bootstrap malware because dumb admin installed all node modules he could see in a repository.

Also the fact that both Jobs and Gates didn't let their kids use smartphones/tablets/play computer games until age of 14-15, and they sent kids to schools without computers too, this must say something right?

In some cases when you want to play the game you bought you need an internet connection period. Doesn't matter if it's a 20 year old game that worked fine before, if their new mandatory DRM stops working you're shit out of luck:

steamcommunity.com/app/39140/discussions/0/2650805212057939028/

With a new remastered version of this same game coming out soon that seems like a lot to hope for. Why should they let you play an older game of theirs instead of buying the new one?

Don't use steam. Just download game from some shady oldwarez site and use emulator. Also backup all emulator source code and system/game roms, just in case.

Attached: druglord_4.gif (720x400, 12.05K)

I'll take GPLv3 games over any of this proprietary nonsense.

Attached: 2018-03-20-161256_5760x1080_scrot.png (1922x1080, 423.62K)

s/GPLv3/GPL/

I had building blocks like these when I was a little shit, but what's in your pic must be several sets of them. I always kept running out of blocks whenever I tried to build something larger.

How does that match up with the fact that most people leading a successful career in tech had computers very early on (such as 8-bit home computers in the 1980s when still in grade school)? Why the recent "let's have children program right from the kindergarden" push? Did Jobs and Gates intend to steer their children away from a career in tech?

We can't get rid of computers, because the whole of society or even civilization relies on them and would collapse and send us right back to the stone age (yea you read me right, not medieval, not antiquity, but fucking stone age, because most traditional ways of doing things that are essential to keeping society functioning were removed and replaced with ways strictly relying on computers and internet connectivity).

I tend to think in this age

if you're running a business, if you're smart enough to come up with some kind of formula that makes money in this fucked up hellscape the last thing you'd want to do is provide the complete blueprint for it in the cloud

Like Sam Hyde says, they're going for the crumbs, they're printing all the money, they sticking their nose into every cranny where they smell a profit. Put your business in the cloud and if you're doing something that works maybe you won't be for long.

Not that user, but I bet it's because the (((cloud))) facilitates data mining, and the publishing industry kikes also hail it as the ultimate DRM: the code that processes the data never touches your computer, so you won't ever be able to 'pirate' it. It's similar for other media, as instead of having a local copy, you have to run their approved software to access it.
Moreover, the (((cloud))) makes it easier to single out and revoke access from users who break their draconian, anti-consumer, one-sided ToS and (((EULAs))), so anyone who dares to be a bad goy is putting their collection of rented files (or maybe even their criminal records) on the line.

you mean SaaSS (software as a service substitute). Nobody ever needed all this senseless 'cloud integration'.
Because they don't know any better. Then they'll boycott it once it bites them in the ass, like that 'smart' thermostat company that turned its products into bricks when it discontinued its service. The only regretful thing is the goyim have no foresight and only learn after getting bitten, and then they only boycott the company rather than the practice itself, repeating the cycle when another competitor comes around.

Obviously (((they))j dislike people having their own computers, even more since some small but smart fraction can install alternative operating systems and cause trouble or just get off the plantation. Intel is planning on having a small SSD built into its CPUs in the near future and storing all “your” data in the cloud with magical 5g.

I don’t think that this will be forced by law, but rather people and companies will choose it because it’s easier. Computer control would be even tougher than gun control at least in the USA, even now artists are collecting non-pozzed machines just in case.

You know how comparison works right? 2 and 3 are not equal.

I think I understand what that user meant. Let me rephrase.
The elites, aristocracy, the people in power have all the possibilities to be literate, but they have an option to remain ignorant. And keeping your kids away from dumb computers (smartphones, tablets and current year winshit with games) is not the same as keeping them from 8-bit education-centric computers.
Yes, the nobles of the past kept their offspring from peasant cartoons, but not from reading fine literature.
So, imagine a "society class division pyramid" from late feudal times, 18th-19th century, the one that commies like to spam everywhere.
1) The top is monarchy and aristocracy. They rule you. Modern equivalent would be: corporation CEOs, Rotschilds, various oligarchs. They are in position of power and they have a choice not to use computers completely, use them indirectly through servants or even shitpost to twitter with iPhone. It doesn't matter in any case how technologically illiterate they are, there are hordes of people to defend them.
2) The Servants and Clergy. They fool you. People who write proprietary software, people who write "Open Source" software for corporations like Herr Poetthering, the "hackers" in mass media meaning of this word, government-backed "hackers" etc.
3) The Army, Police and Secret Police. They kill you. DMCA lawyers, other proprietary software-enablers, hackernews folks, "Open Source not Free Software mmkay" kind of people, pajeets. Not the brightest kind, but they are in power and have weapons to suppress masses.
4) The Ostracized, hermits and alchemists. GNU/Wizards would be Orthodox monks - long-bearded shut ins. BSD/Wizards are Catholic monks - shaved clean, living in big collective, prone to homosexuality. These people sometimes have dignity to come and enlighten the plebs for free, like lectures Stallmann reads, Free Software conferences. Sometimes, this education turns people into "Clergy" class.
5) The Jews City Dwellers, Bürgers, Bourgeoisie. Peoples who had enough time, motivation and effort to spend on self-education, while barely being above average peasant/prole in terms of willpower. This kind of plebs started appearing in late 18th century with wide adoption of cheap printed literature (cheap home computers, used thinkpads, $uname it), these are the people who started revolutions. They would be an equivalent of modern free software user-developer. A person literate enough to use computers at their full potential while having a conscious thought on the position of things in this (technology) world.
5) A factory worker or peasant who scraped enough money for Sunday school. Can count to 100 and read. Modern equivalent are Windows "Power users", people who can use Photoshop, video editors and some basic command line stuff without questioning freedom. Telemetry disablers and antivirus is enough for them to feel safety.
6) A serf, a slave, the lowest caste. Unironically, Indians lol. Folks who never operated anything beyond walled-garden personal tracking device. And most of them never will. They are put at the end of food chain, expendable material.

As for "programming in kindergarten" I think is a way to oversaturate the programming job market and dump all wages to bottom. Big corps need fresh blood to keep functioning and they don't want to pay large salaries for Western/skilled programmers when it's easier to wait another 5 years and get cheap child labor of brightest pajeets, chinks and slavs willing to sell their code for bowl of soup equivalent of offshore freelance salary, as well as local western mass of "educated" niggers/women doing the whitecollar amoeba-tier job not worthy automation or optimization because our scale economy Dog bless now sells smartphones with 128 GB of RAM. I know what I'm saying because I happen to live in one of those "offshore IT labor" slav countries. Every major IT-related site, and companies are pushing this kind of attitude "become a successful freelancer, migrate to West (or East) and work for our great *companyname*, young folks", this kind of motto is also cultivated on web forums, imageboards for last 8-10 years or so.

There is huge difference in usage of those two categories. 8-bit computers were something that you would tinker with and do things with. Smartphones/tablets are just about consuming media.

It is about pushing children towards career in programming. Simple economics tell us that if supply increases and demand is same cost needs to fall. Push everyone into programming to make programming minimum wage job.

They probably did steer their children away from 'low level' tech like programming and engineering and thought them about managing people.
They both acquired piles of money by doing management, not by doing programming. Even low rank management people get paid equally or more than programmers, despite them not creating any value.

if coordination was so cheap programmers would work together over the internet to build services and have no managers saving a shit ton of money