NASA uses node.js in spacesuits

Javascript is going to space!
foundation.nodejs.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/50/2017/09/Node_CaseStudy_Nasa_FNL.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

fastcompany.com/28121/they-write-right-stuff
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is why Musk is winning

Space stuff must be programmed in Forth, it's the law.

this is why we now rely on the russians to take people into space.

End it all.

Hire street shitters

Attached: HOLY SHIT.png (1416x792, 183.77K)

On the topic of space, I've recently joined a team at my college designing a space capable satellite. I am going to try and get them to switch the computers that are on board for running experiments to be switched over to running Gentoo.

Estes is using Docker to make sure everything runs smoothly and suppress a versioning nightmare. Docker “containerizes” applications so everything they need to run—code, runtime, tools, system libraries—live independently and separately from the rest of the system.

node.js and Docker, written in Go, are the latest "progress" from the UNIX weenies. They're workarounds for a broken OS. People want garbage collection so they use node.js. People want applications to work so they use Docker. A good OS wouldn't need either of these UNIX workarounds.

You'll remember unix "gurus" flaming about how evil andrepulsive and wrong file-systems with versions are (about aswrong and evil as they claimed "shared" libraries to be, asan example.)More way retro progress from the avant-garde boys at thephone company.Oh, and now you know why your Sun loses your work all thetime -- its that "translucent" filesystem.

welcome to the money burning pile called state space programs

The fuck is this buzzword soup supposed to mean?

Instead of caring about Astronaut safety, they did this on the cheap using web developers who had to chose javascript because it was all the knew. It's not like they selected Javascript over Spark/Ada because they had a choice, they're too dumb to explore the other options.

is correct.
Look at >>885230:
which just means NASA people only know JS so they choose JS for new projects.
Unbelievable...

Attached: 12000847160.jpg (246x249, 12.22K)

This could end badly...

Attached: 8e524c2a6233cf348b951d177bbd936b6fef895f0b6bcbbdbe58b8ab2d23e081.png (863x1080, 364.96K)

Attached: cd0362c39647e922a353ecd06e427f6d-video.webm (1280x720, 2.26M)

Irrelevant meme language

All sarcasm aside, this is actually an incredibly irresponsible decision.

Imagine someone in 10 years, mind you is an extremely long time in tech years though an extremely short amount of time in the grand scheme of things, having to look back at all the meme frameworks and libraries people used. He'll probably need to learn 15 different languages and 40 different frameworks.

At least we know NASA is filling their diversity quotas.

It should stay there.

rofl

Attached: 1505587562673.gif (277x400, 116.1K)

best post tbh

We need a skill testing question to stop posters like you commenting here.

But then what would we laugh at?

Javascript, niggers, and BSD cucks.

woah, misread that for a minute

fpbp

lol someone is going to die

Houston, my oxygen level is reading NaN. Troubleshoot please.

I'm I'm reading this correctly, and it is difficult to navigate the minefield of buzzwords, they're just creating a system to store data ABOUT the suits. This project isn't dealing with any sort of realtime system that the astronauts will utilize during missions.

*If

What's the alternative?

competency

That's still not a reason to use something as shitty as javascript. All the same crap could be accomplished in COBOL with far less potential issues.

"Oxygen level equal 0" means "there's no oxygen".
"Oxygen leven equal NaN" means "no thing such as oxygen exists in this context".

HURD

This is possible (and easy) in many better languages, including Python, Rust and Go.
oh so they want to allow Pajeets to do important code. what could possibly go wrong? :^)

Which operating system do you use to sen your posts, and do everything else in your life? :^)

NASA is a bureaucratic hot mess.
Expect nothing, ever.

your tears are delicious,

your reaction is also quite outdated

Attached: slowpoke-news.png (350x400, 25.71K)

JavaScript is now the officially the best language. Deal with it /tech.

You pick the right language for the job, like Cobol for databases and Ada for space suits. NASA can afford to spend some of that money on programmers who are capable of learning. They spend millions of taxpayer dollars on space suits and billions on launches and then hire JavaScript weenies to "cut costs." These UNIX weenies pick JavaScript because C and C++ are worse. Perl and PHP were created because awk was worse. If your language makes you consider using awk, it really has to suck.

I stumbled across this little item in the current (October1992) issue of Communication of the ACM:"BANKS UNDERDRAWN... The banking industry spent over abillion dollars on technology last year, yet they are noteven close to employing leading-edge tools. A new survey... indicates that over 75% of bank computer programs arestill written in Cobol and 84% of banking software isdesigned for mainframes, not PCs. Moreover, 80% of thesoftware used by banks is over six years old and only 37% oftheir locations are networked. The report reveals mostbanks are simply not investigating new advances in computerapplications." [Communications of the ACM, Vol 35, No 10,p.9]A translation:BANKS CONSERVATIVE... The banking industry spent over abillion dollars on techology that works, rather than thelatest glitzy play toy. A new survey ... indicates thatover 75% of bank computer programs are written in a languageappropriate to the task as opposed to trying to force theirmodels into the latest Object Oriented fad and 84% ofbanking software is designed to run on systems that have lowmean time between failures, juggle hundreds of users, handlehuge databases, and push megabytes at high rates, not tinylittle machines that crash with great regularity, aredesigned for a single user, if even that, have minisculedisks, and have bandwidth the approximating that of asclerotic soda straw. Moreover, 80% of the software used bybanks has been fairly well debugged and only 37% of theirlocations are open to attack by thirteen year olds withmodems and a lot of time on their hands. The report revealsmost banks are simply not chasing the latest fad in confuserscience and piddling their money away on recoding workingapplications unnecessarily.

Bastard
No amount of repeating digits will convince me though.

I did it only for giggles. I am always the first one to scream how much js sucks donkey balls.

The end

A cis-gendered straight white privileged male falls out of his stolen African technology space station. How is this anything other than a victory for progress? Javascript helps us further the agrarian revolution, viva la javascript!

NASA fakes everything so it's not as big of a deal as you'd think.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't use spark or ada. theyd use C like everything else.

There are no clouds in space.

comcast is blocking /. atm

None of these reasons are anything specific to NodeJS.

Attached: Screenshot_20180321-074610.png (1620x1080, 193.31K)

REMINDER OF WHAT WAS LOST
fastcompany.com/28121/they-write-right-stuff

Attached: waterfall.jpg (1920x1200, 2.26M)

Attached: Hitler checkem.jpg (236x306, 13.42K)

Can we just let this thread die? They're not developing anything for use in space. All they made was a document storage system for NASA to lookup spec sheets for components used in the space suits. That's why it's all webstack crap.

NASA moves dumb tasks like this to the private sector so they don't need to worry about concerns outside their principal domains. They don't care what it is written in, just that it actually works.

Of course this silly company and all the node tards are hyping the fuck out of this story as a success, because they can associate themselves with NASA SPACESUITS and normalfags and lowIQ tech tards will eat it all up.

Attached: Kim Jong check em.jpg (600x364, 79.18K)

That's why they don't use an actual language, it's full of Indian devs.

lol