Since discussion about the industry is heating up, I feel this article is worth note

Since discussion about the industry is heating up, I feel this article is worth note.

The Retailer’s View // A Disgrace To The Industry

comicsbeat.com/the-retailers-view-a-disgrace-to-the-industry/
archive.is/NppkB

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/txbxX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

TL;DR The market is changing and the industry isn't adapting fast enough to survive.

I honestly hope the comic industry dies. There's a chance of real rebirth that could grow and adapt in the changing times with the current systems/companies out of the pictures. But Marvel won't go away until their movies start doing terribly. DC won't go away until normalfags stop giving their shit movies loads of money just to watch how bad they are or because they're brainwashed to watch anything with a cape.

Is that guy crazy?!

seeing as he's a liberal comic book journalist, probably.

I don't think most savvy people will deny that things need to change, but ironically this article lists all the incentives against it. Playing the long game sounds nice from the cheap seats, but it's not realistic for everybody.

Fuck him. I'd kill to go back to the days before touting a character's skin color and genitalia was reduced to being another marketing tactic and an excuse for shit writing.

Can we stop this meme? DC and Marvel certainly aren't going anywhere now that they're corporate subsidiaries

All his suggestions? Yeah, they're never going to happen because they all involve money.

Focus on ideas? Well that means spending more money on talent. Putting out less books? That means downsizing and losing money.

The downsizing thing is the absolute terror of both DC and Marvel. DC started the disastrous Nu52 because they were threatened with downsizing. The moment any higher-up starts throwing around the word "reprints", comic companies get nervous.

We can still hope, ya dingus.

Oh no, they can totally die. It's called "going into reprints". Their staff downsized to a skeleton crew where they put out only two or three new titles a year and rest is republishing their old stuff. It's death in all but name.

That is what I mean when I say "I hope the comic industry dies".

But they're not talking about going back to the 90's, bro. They're talking about going back to the Geoff Johns era.

Just watch anime like the rest of Holla Forums

Can you not do this in every thread? Every anime after 1999 is pretty much garbage.

Btw, this was the cover for that particular issue.

The 2000's were a dark time.

If daily "omg comics are bad now, what can we do" threads stop.
And? I didn't say watch modern anime.

All I want is people to stay on topic, no need to pull out your stale smug anime girls

Damn this pic made me realize how ugly cartoon girls are D:

This thread isn't about cartoons

To add onto the samefag's point: just read and BUY independents.

Well, sucks for you then cause this is smug anime girls thread now

He is making a lot of good points. Diversifying methods of distribution and formats would help industry a lot. Places where comics thrive tend to offer more than just short monthly issues available almost exclusively in specialty shops.

Why can't they understand that people just want good characters? Old Captain America, Peter Parker, Batman and so on, got popular for a reason other than being white.
Problem with the new "diverse" characters is that they are all bad and written mostly the same way. They are all Mary Sues, never face serious consequences of their actions, and are all extremely self-righteous. They also have tendency to be quippy, fanboyinsh/fangirlish, spouting political crap at every opportunity, and praised by every non-evil character. If that character is a white woman, she is an angry cunt most of the time. And let's not forget about obligatory eating with friends and social media scenes that take pages upon pages.

That's because they aren't good. For every superman, there are dozens of other white super heroes that did not become popular and are now forgotten.

Country is still 70 to 80% white. Even if you just narrow it down to New York metropolitan area, vast majority of characters would still be white. If anything, many minorities are over-represented. Then there are minorities like European and Asian immigrants that are underrepresented. Interestingly enough, characters tend to either come from suburbs, royalty equivalents, or ghettos. Where are blue collar, small-town, or ethnic neighborhood superheroes?

The thing you have to remember is most of these 'diverse' characters are written by people that don't really know that races lifestyle or real attitude based on real accounts. They take the tumblr ideals and roll with those. So you get nothing but quip machine mary sues with no legs to stand on beyond 'I'm a minority so ya gotta respect me'. They have no character because the writers don't have character. Just brainwashed ideologies that they spout back and forth.

I agree with your point on diversity characters being cut-outs of characters for the most part, but when they're actual characters like New Superman, it can be pretty good.

kek

Good. That was my preferred era.

The thing about Chinese Superman is that he's written by an actual Chinese guy with no love for the communist government and the fact that he's not meant to be a replacement for Superman. Just another Superman character. He even makes sense with China's policy of bootlegging the shit out of everything. Why wouldn't the China of DC do the same thing?

Yup, we must never let whites have anything of their own, we always need to remind them they, and only they, have to share with everyone else.

Nobody likes a whiner

Now get yourself a copy of "Identifying Jokes."

Kid I know its summer but leave the fedora at home for once.

I think you will find that the newfag is you, my friend.

s-sauce? and name?

Sad.

I love this, I honestly do

There's a solid reason for that too. Publishing monthly comics is expensive and rough on the talent.

I don't think anyone outside of the Big Two really publishes monthly comics anymore.

When I stopped by my FLCS yesterday, the guy manning the register apologized to me because Diamond had shorted them on a bunch of stuff, so they were behind in stocking. It's no big deal to me, I'm only following a few comics regularly and I've got two shops in easy driving distance, but he was really pissed. We talked about it a little. He hates Diamond because they have a monopoly, so they can do whatever they want to retailers.

Aussies, please stop reporting this thread for "underage nipple". Just because a girl has small tits doesn't mean she's underage.

Thank you.

OK, but I'm still reporting her for kneeling on Dr. Strange.

lol

Pedobear, I've come to bargain.

The author of this article was just kicked out of Marvel's secret retailer facebook group for stating the obvious.

archive.is/txbxX

Hey Holla Forums

Seconding

It just keeps tumbling down tumbling down tumbling down