Why are the free as in speech options so dismal?

Why are the free as in speech options so dismal?

I needed to get a smartphone for my job and have been doing what little I could to prevent companies from making money by datamining me. But the libre options available in places like F-droid are pathetic. Many can't even open PDF or music files from my SD card while the programs that make money snooping around my phone do.

If people like me who are aware and willing to use free as in speech options and support it wherever possible are having this much trouble, there is no way this movement is going to grow let alone survive.

Attached: you need a dick in your mouth.webm (900x506, 1.47M)

Here's a thought, maybe peoples incentive to dump thousands of hours of their time into something for free is too low.

Thanks user, no one thought of that before.

You going to dedicate all your time to fixing the problem then? I doubt it.

Do you either contribute or donate to a project? This is a genuine, curious question. I'm not trying to be cheeky.

Conversation messaging app is free software, available in Fdroid, but is sold in Play Store for money. Where is your g-d now?

Not much but if there's something that I used for a few months/years and they have a donate button I drop a bit of money. Hopefully now I have a stable job I can donate more.

Android a shit. Dragonbox Pyra ships in 3 months(tm) and runs Debian, just get that.
Has no access to memory and can be reliably switched off. Or buy a LimeSDR and nigger-rig your own.
code a free one or don’t use it if you care that much. CLI mobile telephony is the new frontier in freetardism.

Just in case you were thinking about suggesting something gnome based, I'd like to remind you that shitty free software was exactly what OP didn't want.

Better option would be to wait for the EOMA68.

That's your own fault. Get the phone, install the "required" apps and only turn it on during work hours, using it only for work. You're now as unspyed-on as possible (for a smartphone user)

Librem will be out next year. I think it will cost $599 when it comes out.

Why would work pay for the phone? It’s current_year, everybody has a smartphone.

while most of the goyim balk at purchasing software that isn't video games on desktops they have zero problem with blowing money in the app store on some shitty worthless app that took 4 days to create, or they just put up with the over the top ads placed in the free apps.

as a result there's no motivation to release open source software when you can instead pollute free versions with ads and sell premium versions.

In an app store, and with video games, your payment information is already baked into the system. Google / iOS app stores have your credit card, steam has your credit card. Purchasing something is one click, from one location. Compare this to purchasing normal PC software where you have to go find it on some random site, make an account, add payment info, etc.

speak for yourself

It has nothing to do with freedom and everything to do with smartphones being shit.

Yeah fuck the billions of normies with lives

Unironically this.

people should be making good products because they enjoy doing it. not because they are getting paid

hell yeah dude lets make a bunch of free android software simply because we love to program for the love of programming! i'll start with the logo and CoC *tips fedora*

Why does pdf reader app need internet connection and access to my phonebook anyways? But more importantly, how come these "hackers" that I hear about here that are good at making free software are so bad st subverting current software culture.

Modding existing non-free software for purpose of making it free and open should be goal of every "hacker".

Attached: 1521433656019.png (666x420, 259.5K)

Addendum
I read a lot about how you guys are just running off to another little "free" island everytime you see someone fuck you over with their non free non open software or tech.
I say, why the fuck are you guys running anymore, don't you get bored? Retake what is yours famalam.

the hidden hand of free market capitalism seems to allow a certain amount of progress towards certain goals

but just when you're almost there there always seems to be a never ending story going on with drivers and software

Shut up Holla Forums

I've seen some prosumer software being sold through Steam, perhaps that's the solution. It's the closest we have on Windows to an App Store and Package Manager.

am I violating your CoC bro ?

shut the fuck up both you niggas need to chill

yes goyim, ayn rand is right, let the market decide everything, I mean its not like the average human being is extremely ignorant on any given topic!

Attached: merchant2.png (600x544, 155.41K)

Find a flaw.

Ever heard of hardware and firmware backdoors? Replacing the kernel, userland, and a few drivers and other apps is not enough. Even if you were to get some device with a free and open source bootloader and LineageOS or PostmarketOS pre-loaded, you still have a bunch of closed source radio drivers, shitty Linux kernel support from chinkshit ARM manufacturers, and a totally closed off cellular modem. These modems are mostly made by Qualcomm and Intel, and neither company cares about privacy. These modems are usually poorly isolated from other stuff like system memory and your main CPU cores and the guys over at the Replicant project found some pretty serious security holes in the baseband software on Samsung phones.

So pull your fucking battery, retard. It's the only way.

Attached: gteaEbu3NJ4EfXolUgzpIN9cSvHf4DUBxA7sAyqpYr0.png (320x356, 61.66K)

That almost doubles the volume your pocket has to hold, is annoying to put back in and take out all the time, and you have to wait 10 years for the phone to boot up every time you want to check something.

Democracy is pretty much dead at this point because of how many drugged up faggots and non-whites we live with. Nearly everyone is a single issue voter these days, otherwise they have some sort of extremely watered down view of the political system. They'll literally vote for a politician because they have a vagina, or because they think that building a giant wall on the Southern border is better than lining it with landmines and barbed wire and shooting illegals in the back of the head.

This is the kind of soft, weak, and childlike system we live in. But just remember goy, if you step out of line, we'll take all your precious stuff.

Numale detected. Opinion disregarded.

Attached: 1517670145541.jpg (1189x1023, 530.8K)

I wear slacks because my job actually has a fucking dress code. It can fit, but it's obviously not comfortable you turbo autist.

lol

I think it has something to do with Google fucking up directory permissions in recent Android versions.
Instead of just opening files form directly via Linux syscalls you need to do it through Android special API. I am not sure on the details, but there're other directory structure-related and general conceptual purpose of sdcard changes too, that make things hard.

Not sure what problem they were solving exactly. Some conspiratards say it's a push to use more Cloud(tm), while Google claims it's for extra security.
In practice, though, as usual, this resulted in bad actors with incentive to jump over all the hoops, while honest actors are struggling to keep up.

The worst part was when they removed the USB mass storage option when connecting to a PC and forced you to use that gimped mtp crap that constantly breaks, especially on GNU/Linux. LineageOS devs are Google cocksucker so they didn't add it back.

Federation get out.

Attached: 4cd336e26f8dee02e1d0334241d9d99928173afa8a78c8a23f618d5249c22aeb.jpg (600x664, 97.03K)