This movie is so fucking scary. Holy shit. It doesn't get you until later after viewing it

This movie is so fucking scary. Holy shit. It doesn't get you until later after viewing it.
Horror movies normally don't affect my dreams.
This one did.

gay :P

is that Cthulhu

I downloaded and skipped around and deleted it without even watching because it seemed like it was literally B movie tier garbo, explain yourself.
Legit amateur hour.

Is this a Lovecraft movie?

Something like that.
Look at this shit.

It's like The Thing.
It's like if somebody decided to make a modernized version of The Thing in mainland America instead of Alaska, with more emphasis on the cosmic horror aspect.

It isn't based on any of his stories, but it is cosmic Lovecraftian horror.

I wasn't too impressed by it tbh, but the practical effects were great.

But the Thing took place in Antarctica not Alaska.

Why has not a single movie ever captured the feeling of Lovecraft's books?
Everybody just steals the giant squid monster. Nobody ever looks at his stories which don't involve cosmic Gods.
The Music of Erich Zann still freaks me the fuck out, that part where [actual spoiler]Zann is dead but his lifeless body is still playing the violin got me real good.

You don't think Dagon and Necronomicon did his stuff justice?

What about In The Mouth of Madness?

It would have worked so much better if the wife hadn't been a stupid cunt, and the reveal at the end was lame.

Not really, they miss all the subtly of his work.
Lovecraft's stories rely heavily on pacing and buildup, movies seem to miss this part the most. They try to either go too fast or ramp everything up at the very end.

It's too silly, I can't imagine a man sitting in a cinema laughing at a film of himself ever being something Lovecraft would write.

The Resurrected, directed by Dan O'Bannon was pretty good. The PI angle works quite well IMHO, and if I'm not mistaken HPL added the PI/investigator characters to try and get the story published in a detective magazine originally

The Haunted Palace, directed by Roger Corman is also quite entertaining. It is mostly based on The Case of Charles Dexter Ward as well, but it adds themes from other stories as well.

The Thing is an obvious must see Lovecraftian film

The Descent is pretty much The Beast in the Cave

You'd have an easier time listing the horror movies that don't take inspiration from Lovecraft than listing the ones that do.

But I agree with OP that the Void really does a good job of capturing the feel and visuals of a lovecraftian story better than most movie that tried it before did. It was an enjoyable watch until it falls apart near the end.

Well in speaking of Lovecraftian movies there's a Japanese found footage movie called the Occult. Its good up until the ending.

There's also adaptations of Lovecrafts work like Call of Cthulu fan film and others you could find on youtube.

Void > Arch

Anyone seen Die farbe from 2010?

Call Girl of Cthulhu could have been a decent Lovecraftian horror comedy – the effects weren’t too bad given the low budget, but the few attempts at humour fell flat, the story dragged on and was a mess.

They could have made a comedy about the god that actually had sex with a human, but they chose Cthulhu instead.
What a waste.

Is that real?

Oh yeah, it is very real.
Got some nudity and body horror, but overall not worth a watch IMHO

Gotta appeal to normies I guess - the only thing they know about Lovecraft is Cthulhu.

Looks like Troma shit post 1980s.

Yeah, it's got that Troma feel to it - some over the top crazy (practical) effects at the end.
Weird Tromo didn't publish it tbh…
I think it was funded by Kickstarter.

If they had focused on writing a decent, funny script it could've been great fun actually. The effects weren't too shabby.

Also, Ericha Zann was a qt in this

What are you, 10?

It's not like I woke up screaming and pissing my pants. I just said that it entered my dream.

Lol no

arch is shit tbh

I actually enjoyed this one. Then again I was drunk as shit when I saw it.

I know this shit is ironic but I will take the bait
READ
THE
FUCKING
FORUM
BEFORE
YOU
UPDATE

Is the post you're making supposed to be ironic? No stable version of any distro should require users to do such a thing before updating, broken updates should never be pushed out.

How was this scary? I liked the gore, wishes it showed a little more when the people were getting killed, but it wasn't scary at all. As far as horror movies go, I liked that it didn't rely so much on cheap jumpscares, but it was predictable.

You think I know? It planted a seed in my subconscious.

A person who is unable to explain why they found something appealing is someone who has shit taste.

It was fine, would have worked better as a TV series though.

Would have benefited from being made in the 80's too.

this

I enjoyed the Baneposting part - it was easily the funniest thing in the film.

pick one, moron

It just me or was the Hellraiser series closer to Lovecraftian cosmic horror than 90% of this uninspired "creepy space squid" copypasta?

Event Horizon is one of the best Lovecraftian horror films ever made, and certainly the most underrated one.

Some of the CGI doesn't quite hold up today, and I wish they would have gone in another art direction for the ships, but overall it is highly enjoyable.

I feel like lovecrafts depiction of what hell truly is, no matter what movie is pretty terrifying. I mean at the end of the void its just showing them living out their 2nd life somewhere in the galaxy right? whereas Event Horizon could be a nightmare which one cant escape, even in death

hellraiser is only in space very briefly, even then we have to wait on the reboot for it to be on another planet or whatever direction they took it. still the fact that their are attendants to some higher divine hell is fucking horrifying

there's nothing fun about a world consisting entirely of living flesh, eyes and mouths.

Just finished watching, bretty fucking gud m8. It's Lovecraft-lite, no mistake- but still its fucking nuts for like 80% of the movie so I'll give it a pass.

Besides when does a film ever go full Lovecraft really? John Carpenter's "Apocalypse Trilogy" does, I suppose Event Horizon does too, Noroi and Occult do, but those are the only ones I can think of offhand.

Linux is shit tbh.
I wish more mainstream operating systems had the same philosophy as TempleOS.

The Thing didn't look like a student film.

based terry

I actually haven't, but the director is a friend of mine.

Why are you on Holla Forums if you have filmmaker friends? WHy aren't you out making kino?

The only Doom movie. More accurate than the actual Doom movie.

I did, back in August of last year. He's doing post-production right now.

What movie was it user?

Nah, EH is a Warhammer 40000 prequel.

Give me some deets.

Can't give out too many details due to legal reasons, but it's going to be a sci-fi/war movie with a heavy Lovecraftian angle.

We filmed in an active quarry where they dug a trench for us, and we used the basement of an old factory for a bunker set. Shit was pretty cash.

That's pretty neat. So you're German?

Das ist richtig, ich bin Deutscher.

You can't be German, you're not speaking Turkish.

That's cool. You should tell your friend to make some OINKED kino, tbh.

.>>878355
was für türkisch amk isch fick deine mutter du hundesohn

Better?

Will do.

I read that story in a Donald Duck-magazine 10 years ago.

Event Horizon gave me 1 nightmare after watching it.
Zombie movies gave me hundreds of nightmares.
Shitty zombie movies are scarier than Event Horizon.

I watched The Void and I wasn't disappointed, though I didn't expect much. I have to say I'm hardly a horror fan. The movie used tons of cheap tricks to build suspension and create surprises (like blatant off-screen teleportation), and the plot and premise was convoluted mess. It also took itself really seriously, even though it was filled with cliches and was Herbert West-tier in its goofy viscerality. And worst offense was that it wasn't sexy like Dagon. It takes effort to remove all the sex appeal from implied monster rape for me, but The Void managed it by making it all post-conception/surgical transplants.

It really felt like I was watching someone's recap of a clumsy Call of Cthulhu TTRPG game. Cultists, tentacle monsters, an excuse plot and characters that work together only because they are the main characters. They even had the grognard that pretended he had no idea what was going on not to spoil it for the newer guys, but still always knew what to do, pocketed the magic tomes and got mind controlled just so the story/GM could get rid of him for a while.

Figures it's a retard goon that gets Antarctica mixed up with Alaska.

I fucking hate "horror" films that do that. They're boring as fuck when you're watching them but as soon as you see a dark corner your imagination starts bothering the fuck out of you by putting the monster there. You just convinced me never to watch whatever shitty film it is that you're shilling, thanks.

The only word I can find that encapsulates this film is 'eh'.

Ending ruined all the buildup that had come before, shoehorning in the dumb cult, and having the leader of said cult be the only one that went through the rebirth process and came out remotely functional on the other side. What's worse, the cultists gained nothing out of the process, and the horror basement at the end was also botched because they conflated some of the shittiest visuals in the movie with some good prose. Seriously, the description of the house at the beginning of the movie got me going a lot more than the environment at the end of the movie, which was termed 'hell'. Policeman's wife was unsympathetic, especially after he went 'are we in the same damn building' - freaking paragon of common sense, in stark contrast to the stupidity of his spouse. Dad and his retarded son was dumb as boards, and the fact that the director somehow expected the retard to carry the ending of the film is pathetic.

Oh right, the movie actually doesn't end there, it ends in a transparently greenscreened shot of a black pyramid descending on a desert - only thing missing were the rocket exhausts at the bottom to complete the resemblance to Detroit 2080. For reference, a triangle in three dimensions has a triangle for a base, not a damn square.

Someone please make sure the guy watches Carpenter's Apocalypse trilogy.

What even was going on with the cult? They just stood around looking like uncomfortable autists in a ghost costume made of a blanket and apparently existed solely to shiv people near police cars. As a lazy plot device, they could have been replaced with pretty much anything that hampers movement.

this.

Yeah, there was a big lack of waifus.

The asian girl at the hospital was kinda qt - annoying as fuck though.

This is why Holla Forums is the best board

Come on, Bernd - don't leave us hanging like that.
We need a title and a release data, if possible.

really makes you think

I assumed they were on orders not to just slaughter people around the hospital, evil doctor wants living subjects for his experiments. Their job was to intimidate until it was time for the ritual.