SPQR. LATIN THREAD

As per discussions from language thread.

Latin is a great language. Rome were the last owners of the Holy Land before the Jews, the Brits, and the Muslims, and the last Great Empire.

It was also a Republic at one point. They civilized heaps of barbarians, and also exiled the jews.

Latin is a simple language with simple rules and the letters are the same as ours.

You can get a feel for the grammar of it by watching Spartacus (TV Show) which used English but with Latin Grammar. (e.g. I’m for wine and the embrace of questionable women.)

In this thread we will speak in Latin and in English and try to correct each other until we all know perfect Latin.

Advantages: Sounds cool. Has magic powers, spells are written in Latin. Was the language of the 2nd and hopefully, 4th, Reich. Can be spoken in public with nobody understanding. Sounds super cool. Helps to learn other european languages, which (except for anglo-saxon based ones) are bastardizations of Latin.

We post LATIN in ALL CAPS and English in lower case like this

Etc. HAIL CAESAR / God Emperor

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Pzl39pvVZk
thegreatcourses.com/courses/greek-101-learning-an-ancient-language.html
thegreatcourses.com/courses/latin-101-learning-a-classical-language.html
youtube.com/channel/UCEdalcRdYO8yMuk8T5qHz4A/videos
youtube.com/user/evan1965/videos
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sum#Latin
amazon.com/Lingua-Latina-Illustrata-Pars-Familia/dp/1585104205
perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0060:entry=fidelis
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/paeninsula
heraldrysinstitute.com/lang/it/cognomi/Ippolito/Italia/idc/7469
cs.utah.edu/~gback/awfgrmlg.html
google.nl/maps/place/12041 Bene Vagienna CN,[email protected]/*
mcl.as.uky.edu/conventiculum-latinum
nationalarchives.gov.uk/latin/advanced/popup/grammar-table.htm
hup.harvard.edu/collection.php?cpk=1031
perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/
sites.google.com/site/janualinguae/
hackettpublishing.com/lingua-latina-per-se-illustrata-series/lingua-latina-audio-files
spqrchan.org/
perpendiculum.iobloggo.com/cat/pronuncia-restituta/427317
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

CORNELIA ET FLAVIA EST PUELLAE ROMANAE

Cornelia and Flavia are Roman girls?

We should be learning PIE though.

Here's one for you English speakers. "bona fide" is not pronounced:

It's:

Drives me nuts. Never seen once American pronounce it correctly on the TV. On that line "semper fi" is "semper fee".

(AD) SENATUM ET POPULUM ROMANUM

Hey, I too got that book.

Forever Faithful

Pronounced like:

BONA FIDE
(in) Good Faith – real

Sextus was a fucking buttslut and got married into the Imperial familia at the end of book six, if I recall correctly. The Dead Spirit of the Slave Woman

Lmao, I was thinking of Cambridge Latin Course I. I might have mistaken a name though.

EN VINO VERITAS
In Wine [there is] Truth

Nah you're correct. The last bit is to see if anyone from my class is on Holla Forums. We had to write out long stories and had a deep continuity in ours through three years of Latin.

"WEENO WEREETAS"

In classical pronunciation,

"VEENO VERITAS"

In Church Latin.

Non Oxford-tier detected

Decent enough intro to the subject and types of latin.

E Pluribus Unum
out of many, one that's all I know

CARPE DIEM
Sieze [the] Day

CARPE NOCTEM
Size [the] Night

CUI BONO[?]
Who Good [for?] / Who's benefit?

IMPERIUM IN IMPERIO
Empire in empire

VOX POPULI
Voice [of the] People

To clarify:
v is [w]
Vowels are the same as their IPA equivalents
I turns into [j] before another vowel.
Stress is always on the penultimate syllable. [pu'ella] [ty'rannis]
ae or æ is [ai]
y is [y], not [j]
Anything else other anons can add?

Ego serio spero vos populus hoc non faciunt.

I mean theres this but not nearly epic enough

Addendum: c is always [k]
Long vowels may be marked with a macron in textbooks, but diacritics won't show on Holla Forums.

Also, coincidentally, I was thinking about making an early Roman/Italian peninsula history thread today. Early Roman history is surprisingly not well documented and only retold through legends, while for perspective, Etruscan culture and civilization is well known through their own works and they got fucked before Rome was even a big guy.

youtube.com/watch?v=8Pzl39pvVZk

Anonymous Quid audio?

MELIUS EST?

Divinus. What is it about?

A good anthem for the Empire.

If you are going to act like you know what you are talking about could you at least Google first?

Dubs checked

Whats your point barbarian faggot?

Ave.

not entirely sure what the point of this thread is, but for anyone wanting to learn latin, i recommend it. its super easy and you kinda halfway know it already. just know that (for restored classical latin, ecclesiastical ie church latin is different,) all non-vowel letters only make one sound, v's sound like w's (because w doesnt exist in latin,) and that i sounds like e and vice versa.
and if youre learning latin, you might as well learn greek, which was literally the patrician language of choice. Latin borrows a lot from greek: for example, the latin alphabet is derived from a western greek alphabet.
While the best way to learn a language is to actually converse with someone else in the language, ive found some video lectures that i have found incredibly useful
thegreatcourses.com/courses/greek-101-learning-an-ancient-language.html
thegreatcourses.com/courses/latin-101-learning-a-classical-language.html
now before i hear cries of sticker shock, they regularly put their course on sale for 70-80% off, so you just have to wait for a sale to get it at a reasonable price (70-90$ per)

reprehendo em

meant for

anno is in the ablative case. It's the ablative of time. So 'IN the year of (our) lord . . .'
dominus is in the genitive case.

Use this if you're interested

How long have you been learning?

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS

LINGUA ROMANAE EST PULCHRA.
(the) Language (of the) Romans is beautiful.

oh and the only really difficult part of latin is having to memorize tables, but its not too bad if you make it into a chant.

i had been doing latin and greek every day for about 4 months, but fell of the wagon due to illness and needing to study math for college.

DUBITO ERGO COGITO ERGO SUM

People called the Romanes they go the house.

ROMA NON EST INSULA. ROMA EST PAENINSULA.
Rome is not an island. Rome is a peninsula.

I don't know much latin, but I'm trying to learn.

Latin is awesome, but I haven't touched it in a while. A couple of useful channels that I helped me learn it .

youtube.com/channel/UCEdalcRdYO8yMuk8T5qHz4A/videos

youtube.com/user/evan1965/videos

That should be reprehendite. Reprehendo is the first person singular present, it should be in the imperative plural.

So, did he say 'I check em' instead of '(other people) check em'?

LAUDEM KEK

Ah Rome. The greatest Nation on Earth…until Christians came along and made it weak until it finally collapsed under its own weight.

So does EST mean "is" or "an/a"?

Is.
In places like that it appears to act as 'is a/an'.

Is.

Was an amateur quote, but it was an example of the (((show))) which is generally as close to Latin Grammar as possible without being too difficult on the untrained ear.

Academiafags plz dont bully

kek. It is incorrect for two reasons: the verb goes last in latin syntax and being plural it should be "sunt".

En is Spanish

You're not serious - right?
carpe diem was always meant in an allegorical sense, as in "seize the MOMENT" - not the daytime.

an i too many in the spelling but most of all lacks context and is uncomprehensible to non latin literates.

why do you [add these]? The declination "i" on the root "Popul" literally translates only to exactly the words you wrote.

Verb goes at the end. pulchra est.

Verb goes at the end. Remember that if you want to learn, if you get verbs and declinations you can make out most texts.

Sheeit. So I've got it backwards then?

The language, culture, and law of the Empire is all anglo. Paying homage to our Latin imperial heritage by using their tongue for meme magick is not anti anglo. To the mines with you.

he did say "i check em" but the imperative from has much more gravitas to it than just telling someone to do something; it is an order, you will check em! (the imperative is usually translated by just putting an exclamation point at the end of a sentence)

Oh, ok.
That makes sense.

Yeah but if we start pronouncing latin correctly then Caesar turns to kaiser and thats gay

And Ave to a-way

est is the third person singular present indicative active form of the verb sum.

sum i am
es you are
est he/she/it is
sumus
estis
sunt

a/an is the indefinite article.

A man is superior to any woman.

The man is superior to any woman.

One is general, the other references a person or thing that really exists and is unique.

So we doing anglo-Latin. Anglatin.

It'd be "Roma non insula est" or "Roma paeninsula est".

est is the latin word for being, but it is third person singular form, which is "sum." sum is an irregular verb, meaning to fully utilize it, you have to memorize all the forms because they dont follow the other set patterns

HAIL CEASAR!

May the Emperor grant you land and titles for your service.

see en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sum#Latin

Though to be accurate, it's better to use "Urbe" if you're referring to the city of Rome rather than the Empire or the "idea" of Rome.
Urbe means city, with a capital U and referring to "THE" city = Rome.

Reddit delenda est.

SEMPER VIVAT IMPERIUM

Ego serio spero vos populus hoc non faciunt.

My proud user…would you believe me if I told you I am truly decayed Roman nobility shitposting on an animeboard at 4.30 in the morning?

I have a family crest and over 700 years of official bloodline to prove it.

My ancestors were crusader knights - we owned most of the regions surrounding Venice and some territories North of Rome.

It all fell with the wars.

Restore your family's dignity.

KAESAR does sound more Roman.

This

Deus vult

lel

I'm from 1000 year old royal celtic/viking bloodlines and just here for the lulz and DEUS VULTing

Puellae Romanae mihi maxime placent.

BTW, best book for learning Latin ever, hands down nothing else comes close:

amazon.com/Lingua-Latina-Illustrata-Pars-Familia/dp/1585104205

Meant for the other thread.

How many others have you tired?

That's incorrect. It's

SEM-per fi-DAY-lis

where the upper-case syllables get the accent.
The "e" in fidelis is a long e. In a dictionary it has a line over it. And the first "i" is short, no line, thus pronounced as in "hit."

Source:
perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0060:entry=fidelis

Thanks.
Looking at the same post: INSULA, PAENINSULA I'd assume SULA is "land"?

is there any easy way to remember the penult/ante-penult rule? like a nmenoic device or is it just rote memorization?

I have absolutely not forgotten. My fucking family crest is straight outta dark souls.

Virtus in Arduis - Deus Vult!

Insula means Island
Paeninsula means semi-island. Italy as a territory is a prime example: sea on all sides except one.

Mind you, Romans often spoke in allegorical terms and the insula/paeninsula rethoric has been used to signify "political access" to territory

not a latin word, AFAIK. TERRA is land in latin.

to clarify
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/paeninsula
paene ‎(“nearly”, “almost”) + īnsula ‎(“island”).

Well, at least I'm north Italian I guess

Paucas. Spero tenere plures.

I'm from русские bloodlines and I'm also here shitposting for keks.

Thanks again. I automatically assumed SULA must be the base word, will have to work on that before I sink my teeth into this.

Where does the e come from? I did a search for PAEN before posting and got nothing.

I know that feel.

inb4 all of the regulars are some kind of old noble family.

You mean for accents? It's very easy and perfectly consistent.

One syllable: gets the accent.
Two syllables: penultimate gets the accent.
Three or more syllables: look at the penultimate syllable: if it's long it gets the accent, otherwise the antepenultimate gets it.

Ah, so how do you know whether a syllable is long or not? It depends on the vowel and consonants following the vowel. More than I want to type on my phone. You might have to look in a dictionary if you are missing the vowel marks.

But it's simple enough to cover in the first day or any introductory Latin class. Pronounciation is the easiest part of the language (especially since there are no native speakers to tell you you're doing it wrong).

That sounds like one hell of a plot, what's your bloodline as far as you can trace it?

trips and dubs get must be acknowledged

However, I am sorry to tell you, friend. Ippolito is a major name of Southern Italian nobility - literally from Sicily and moved into Naples, where they even participated in ruling. Definetly not peasants, in the day, but today Ippolitos are fucking everywhere and they're commoners.

heraldrysinstitute.com/lang/it/cognomi/Ippolito/Italia/idc/7469

If you want details you should get in contact with the araldica organization (one in the stamp of my pic) as it's the main dog in the business

Lel, no idea. I've never looked.

Incorrect: only if the penultimate syllable is long. Example, money is pecunia:

pe-KOO-ni-uh

I'm a reasonably intelligent person and interested in languages. Could I really attain proficiency just studying on my own? And then if I did, what would I use it for?

I studied German all through highschool and college, and kept up some practice on my own, but don't feel even close to fluent. I've spent the past two years or so working on Italian, and I can barely read a newspaper. Gaining fluency seems insurmountable.

Any word on Mazzaros? Yes bad opspec, but I'm a bastard :^)

has to do with the conjugation of the adverb, the root word is paen, but needs at least a suffix to have any meaning. this bring me to my next point, you would get a lot farther in latin by looking at the declension and conjugation tables and understanding/memorizing those more than you will just by looking at the vocabulary.

yeah, i get that part, its the vowel rules for tri-syllabic words that i cant remember.

have you ever read mark twain's essay on the language? it will explain your prediciment quite well cs.utah.edu/~gback/awfgrmlg.html

yes.
to read the works of great masters such as cicero, livy, aquinas, etc. in their own language.
gain a much greater understanding of English.
conversing with fellow patricians

The thing is my DNA markers have nothing to do with south Italy. Mostly North Italy, Germanic lands and Polish lands.

I'll look into the genealogy service you provided. What does the price go for on that? And does it include information about places outside of Italy? Got some weird names on my German-Polish side and I don't know what the hell that's about. Probably heir to some royal throne in Galicia tbh.

That's incorrect, though the common tendency. You can rearrange the word order as you please (at least within a clause) and the meaning stays the same.

Puer vivet puellam
Puer puellam videt
Puellam puer videt
Videt puellam puer
all mean "the boy sees the girl," it's the inflected endings that indicate who is seeing vs being seen (subject versus object).

Also, the verb "esse" (to be) =, of which "est" is a form is optional, so you can just leave it out in many contexts.

Lingua Latina pulchrissima.

In this case, would it be advisable to just hire a genealogist? Also:

wew

I think you mean:

laudate kekum

a curious thing about Latin is its lack of articles, definite or otherwise. Curious because romance languages do have them. For example, French has "un" which comes from the Latin word for "one," and "le"/"la" from Latin's "ille"/"illa", meaning "that" as in "that thing over there." But where French got the second part of "ille," Itailian got the first: "il."

It wouldn't be odd at all considering your ancestors prospered both in the South and the North were they moved later - you do get genes from mothers too.

Also Southern Italians aren't as nigger tier as this board makes them out to be, nor tanned. Especially high-positioned castes.

pre-search kek based on the name. Mazza = club. Mazzaro = clubdude. Often times last names derived from professions in ancient times.

post search: rejoice! Your ancestors have earned their rightful glory!
google.nl/maps/place/12041 Bene Vagienna CN,[email protected]/* */,5.7317078,8z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x12d2a6ffc79d6331:0xaf0b01ff174070e1!8m2!3d44.5426467!4d7.8269217

That is where your family comes from originally, they were middle class outstanding citizens and soldiers whom earned their spot among the official album of italian nobility ever since 1834.

language is important but these threads are sliders
absolutely implicit

B-baka! You just don't know what you're talking about1!! The furest south they ever leved was ROME!

ROAUNSDIANINAAHNANKI

Believe it or not there are groups that get together to speak Latin.

mcl.as.uky.edu/conventiculum-latinum

You'd be surprised how naturally things would click into place with latin, pronounciation and the meaning of many words will come naturally and you won't even know why.

Oh and the price - I have no idea. Probably a decent expense. As you can see from the yellowed out page of my original pic, it was my grandfather that commissioned it.

I'll second that and it helps with spelling too. Since I learned Latin I've never had any difficulty spelling the word "necessary."

that's really not correct syntax though. My latin teacher would hav flogged you in front of the class.

The first example is acceptable, passable, in a simple sentence like that. 2nd is correct form. 3rd is also correct form but switches subject - it means the girl sees the boy
4th is incorrect.

As I mentioned, first form is passable in a simple phrase, but in complex long fucking texts - I assure you, everybody DEMANDS order. The verb at the end of sentences is the key to decipher latin, it's literally how it's taught in Rome.

This is a good series with a heavy emphasis on reading (gradually ramping up complexity). The publisher has a lot of supplements for additional readings as well.

Memorize the stress rules, but look for Catholic liturgical texts like missals for supplementary practice. These often have the stress accent marked, as opposed to textbooks, which just have macrons to mark long syllables. For example: Introíbo ad altáre Dei. Ad Deum Qui laetíficat juventútem meam. The acute accents mark the stress. You'll develop a feel for different patterns this way.

Verbs don't have to go at the end. I would not say anhthing stronger than that they often go at the end.

Word order does not determine the subject, the ending does. If it was "Puella puerum videt", the subject would have changed.

Alright. So what do I do? Pick a textbook and work through it?

Cheers.
Keked hard. I hope that doesn't mean my ancestors were male strippers, I can see why there wouldn't be many running about.Maybe they just really liked clubs and maces?
Benis.

In hoc signo vinces!

(checked)
I'm planing on understanding these tables before I get into the vocab.
nationalarchives.gov.uk/latin/advanced/popup/grammar-table.htm

Do not despair user, even Southern Italians can have aryan babies for blonde hair and blue eyes are both recessive genes - and yes they do carry them.

It's also my case: I was born blond, as was my brother, but both our hairs got darker as we aged.

You are technically correct, which is the best kind of correct. I am mistaken and therefore may be on my absolutism about verbs at the end too. will go sleep.

Good night anons

That's not true. Latin is an inflected language, and it is primarily the inflections (i.e., the word endings in most cases) that govern their relations, not the word order. user's example, puellam puer videt, would still be "the boy sees the girl" due to case endings (puellam'" in accusative, puer'' in nominative). In larger texts, it is not always the case that clauses or sentences are terminated by verbs. Just for a random example, I took a few sentences from the opening of De Bello Gallico. Only 3/5 verbs are at the ends of their respective clauses (italicized means at the end, bold means not at the end).

>Gallia "est omnis divisa in partes tres, quarum unam incolunt' Belgae, aliam Aquitani, tertiam qui ipsorum lingua Celtae, nostra Galli appellantur. Hi omnes lingua, institutis, legibus inter se differunt. Gallos ab Aquitanis Garumna flumen, a Belgis Matrona et Sequana dividit.

what is the deal with the vocative case? in what way is it different from the nominative?

yeah, try looking for used ones in pawn shops/thrift stores first before buying a new one if money is an issue. OR use the lectures mentioned here

OR use any number of youtube channels dedicated to the subject.

whatever you choose dont forget to supplement your studies with loeb books hup.harvard.edu/collection.php?cpk=1031 (theyre book with the original language and a literal translation in englsh on the opposite page) and/or the perseus library perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/ its a shittly set up site, but its got the goods bb. im not sure what the beginner latin texts are (though perseus can help you determine the relative difficulty of a text based on word variance. low variance = easier) but the greek ones are epictetus and xenophon.

could someone tell me what salvia growing in all agrorum, agri, whatever would be? I can't into cases or grammar

I've found older public domain textbooks, but I don't know if that's the best to use.

I've heard Caesar's commentaries are often used in teaching, since they are written clearly using simple language.

That's a terrible approach. What is the point of knowing syntax etc. when you don't know any words to use it on? The Orberg series someone posted earlier is very good, and is very smart about how it introduces grammatical concepts, to avoid overwhelming beginners with too many forms.

My grandfather could speak Latin, I envy him. I was actually thinking about studying Latin earlier today, what's a good starting resource?

The vocative case is used to address the person whom one is directly speaking. English punctuates its vocative with commas. For example:
user, you're a faggot. :^)

Sounds gay and pretentious as fuck and doesn't fit with American pronunciation.
Is bona pronounced "bone-ah" or "baugh-na"?

anything is better than nothing, pick one and do it, and if you dont like it, do a different one. but ill tell you right now it is a lot harder to study a book on the computer than it is an actual physical book, simply due to the distractions a computer provides. it can be done though.

theres a dozen different resources itt, either pick one of those or audit a latin course at your local university.

we better be using classical pronunciation and none of this vulgar latin spaghetti trash

whodathunkit?

I don't have any recommenfstions for public domain beginner textbooks. But the guy who runs this site is a nerd who uses a lot of old public domain texts off archive.org. his favorite seems to be Adler's Practical Grammar. He tries to sell you his supplements, but you can just get a free copy of the textbook off Archive.org and work the exercise yourself.

(His site, for reference)
sites.google.com/site/janualinguae/

agris

I'm serious user, I'm not Southern Italian

truly, to kraut is to suffer

No, to kraut is to sauer.

If I'm going to learn a language I don't want to sound like a faggot speaking it. No offense to any Romance language speakers but your shit sounds fruity as fuck and nobody takes you seriously. Germanic and Slavic languages sound 1000x cooler and more masculine tbh

Just started this last week, very good to read. Now that I've given up TV, and Hollywood trash entertainment, I'm learning latin in my spare time.

I've been reading Livy in English.

My goal is to read Cicero and the Vulgate, I'm a long way off from that though.

why not be a real patrician and read it in greek?

What of Cicero do you wish to read? All of him? Or his major works? Because if it's the former, and if you prefer books, then it will be expensive. I would know, I own all of Cicero's works in dual English and Latin, and buying all of those books were exorbitant.

Because Greek is a pleb language for slaves and immigrants.

That would be nice, but that's a much more difficult endeavour. Also, Latin has the side effect of enhancing my understanding of English.

I have a pleb tier understanding of his titles, but I'm interested primarily in his political speeches.

*was

Yeah, and some of their roots and affixes are nasty to the palate.

There are a lot. He has his pro speeches, his Verrine Orations. His most famous works, not sure if they're speeches, are On the Laws, On Duty, On the Republic. To acquire these you will likely have to purchase a number of Loeb books as, it appears, Oxford doesn't have dual Latin and English for their Cicero books.

not really, the structure of the grammar is almost identical to latin, just with, in some cases slightly, different suffixes and prefixes. hell id even go as far as to say greek is easier grammatically (no ablative case, only one conjugation.) there is also a lot of crossover with greek and latin, as well as greek and english.

greek was the preferred language of the patricians for centuries, you pleb. to larify, im talking about ancient greek.

I wanted to add in case people did not add it yet, that Latin has no "U" or "W" and in Latin, the "V" can actually make a "U" or "W" sound depends on the grammar

For example, the Roman Emperor "VALENTINIANVS" is pronounced in English (and often Anglicized to) "Valentinianus" but is pronounced in Latin more like "Walentinianoos"

Likewise whenever you see an old Latin inscription that has a "V" such as "-ANVS" you now know it's pronounced as a "U"

This is also why the name of the "W" in English is "Double-yoo" even though the gliph itself looks like 2 conjoined "V"s

Also, Latin doesn't have a J-sound. J=Y, like in German.

Yes, to a certain degree, but only because they were plebs themselves enamoured by its foreign mystique. It's analagous to Americans today thinking that British English (and the associated accents) are classy. In reality, British English is a language for chavs and ignorant boffins. Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes. Patricians rule. Plebs (i.e. Greeks) drool.

i dont get it.

To be honest Swedish, a Germanic language, sounds fucking gay as fuck. Thankfully the pretty archaic dialect spoken in western Finland sounds much sturdier like Finnish than the mainland Swedish. Basically like a fingol speaking Swedish except correctly.

I'm from cobblers, vine-trimmers and coal-miners tbh.

nah man, they were devout hellenaboos and o etrsucaboos (who were also hellenaboos) eventually they even went as far as to retcon themselves as descendant from Aeneas so they could claim some half assed connection to their senpai, among a dozen other things im too lazy to type out and would really just detract from the point of the thread.

You know how when women type, you can tell they're women?

Apparently native Swedish-speaking men typing in English are easily mistakable for women. That's how fucking gay they sound, they speak like women once they learn English.

What, really? Are there actually accounts of this? BRB.

To start with, I'm sure I'll just be reading "selected excerpts" to improve my skills. Since I also have a lot of other things I need to learn, I suspect my progress will be plodding.

Sounds fine to me, might just be that many Swedes are low T lefty faggots. The heroes of Nordfront sound masculine.

Talking around 2:52

This thread is of substance I enjoy.

I can't find any right now, but I remember seeing several on halfchan /int/ and Holla Forums, along with one on this board, that go into it.

It's quite interesting how language shapes the way people speak and think, even when they learn other languages.

Kek demand these be checked.

For the great and almighty frog god, shadilay!

I want to rant on something off-topic, but Aeschylus is the worst tragedian playwright and people shouldn't bother reading his egregious plays.

It's rather sad that Sweden, and now Swedish itself, have become synonymous with cuckoldry and femininity.

Well, you have to remember that Cicero is top-tier in terms of writing ability as he uses the periodic sentence, as does Livy, so don't fret it.

Firstly, let me clairfy…

I hate Anglos. Brits are great (historically, not now, kek) but I hate you. I love Latin. The syntax of the people in the program "Spartacus," is retarded. It's the syntax of peasants/illiterates. "Rome," is a bit more cleaned up, not up to par though. We live in a civilization that is entirely based upon presupposed literacy.

We live in an information age… Despite the vast amounts of plebs, the language that should be cultivated in the US should be something like the "Mid Atlantic," or even the appropriate "Southern accents." Overseas, whatever the non-retarded version of UK English will suffice. The last thing we want to do is dumb shit down (more than the ne'er-do-well governance we currently have who is actively genociding the citizenry…) .

We need to be raising a distinct, fine class of citizen-soldiers, a new Legionary. The future fash will look like Heinlein's controlled grades of citizenship/residency, based on military and civic service, defining roles and parts of society, hopefully with mobility/liberties. We need to speak better than these retards plebs, hold higher standards. A militaristic/partisan (and in my case, Roman Catholic) Phalanx. See: Falange Espanola, British Union of Fascists, Iron Guard, A fictional future fash storyline might look like Battletech/Mechwarrior Clans societies.. Founded by a general Nicholas Kerensky on "Strana Mechty," (Страна Мечты/ "Dream country/land) . and ultra eugenics to surpass other men, in mind and body. Killzone / Helghast in their perception of distinction and desire for self determination. Scolar Visari is a Mussolini look alike for certain.

Read up on Kai Murros. Historical figures like Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera, Oswald Mosley, Corneliu Codreanu, Juan Peron, Augusto Pinochet, Alfredo Stroessner, (inb4 anyone listed in this post is >white or not.) Future fash will be ultranationalism.

Very true. I have a bad feeling that there is little hope for native Swedes even if they somehow do repel the invaders, given how degraded their society is. Fixing the place would take many decades, perhaps centuries, of cultural rebuilding. A healthy society is one where men are men and women are women, and Sweden thoroughly lacks this.

This reminds me of a problem I have noticed with the alt-right and populists as of late. As identitarians, moderate or extreme, they all seek to keep their countries majority European, but at the same time they cannot really opt to fix their societies and restore tradition for fear of alienating the pleasure-seeking, "free-thinking" modern westerner.

feels bad man

If it makes you feel better, there is a character in the English version of Demon's Souls who uses it correctly, it's the first time I ever heard it properly pronounced.

I think the perspective on that is this: lower the waters in dam, one must drain it, not destroy the dam.
Or some better analogy.

CAECILIUS EST IN HORTO

esperanto is a better language tbh

Did you type that with your nose?

But will the dam every finish draining? It must be done, but at the same time restoring traditional values is a giant hurdle for the right in modern society, and I imagine after the Greatest Generation dies many conventions of traditional, authentic western culture will disappear from our collective memory.

Keep in mind that the biggest populist voting block right now are the Boomers. Without the Boomers, remain would have won the Brexit referrendum, and it's likely Donald Trump would have lost as well without them. The Boomers have become conservative with age, as most old folks do in a world where the liberalism of 20 years ago is now erraneously called Conservatism and linear "progress" marches on.

Now look at the Boomers and tell me if you see an example of healthy, traditional society. Those are your voters.

One glimmer of hope I see are the young generation- people born either just before the end of the Millenial Generation or after it. A lot are complete libtards, but at the same time many seem to laugh at SJW types. Internet culture, which people are now growing up totally immersed in, laughs at these people, and acts as a gateway to ridicule a lot more aspects of Cultural Marxism. This generation, as the Boomers die and their countries become significantly less white, will also likely become more racially conscious, promoting the kind of alt-right white identity politics promoted by such figures as Richard Spencer.

However, these youths also seem to be atheist, hedonist degenerates, with many raised by cuck dads and single mothers. Preserving tradition, and by extention Western civilization, is going to be a race against both time and public opposition to the restoration of traditional values on grounds of selfishness and hedonism.

I just bought book 1 of "The Divine Comedy" and Voltare'a "Philosophical Dictionary". I've reads parts of "The Republic", but should I really go through the exhaustive effort of "START WITH THE GREEKS DUDE", I can grasp the concepts offered pretty well without any trouble. *i do plan on buying one of Homers books though, can't pass up on the Trojan war fam**

Yes, but if Trump comes through with his policies to enrich America, Millennials might become disillusioned with the left, albeit not entirely, and will begin to consider that conservatives aren't equivalent to backwardness, and if Trump goes further right, and shows the benefits of a homogeneous society, leftists might start reconsidering their positions on race. But that is wishful thinking.

That's why the culture war is important, and I think that leftists are or have become jaded to all of the hedonism, but I think millennials, in general, are wardless and, because of this, lost in ways. They don't what they are, who they are, and where they fit in the world, which may be why they are fine with multiculturalism. That's just my opinion, though.

"baugh-na"

You'd be surprised how open millennials are to some ideas. A lot are librul cucks but many are just laughing joking numb nuts, and Nazi jokes are the best ammirite? :^)

Checked. Read the essential works of the philosophers. Then read Sophocles, read Livy at least Books 1-5 and 21-30.

True, but indoctrination is a powerful thing.

Should I also read Tacitus, or read him instead? He gets lots of acclaim in these circles for some reason.

anyone interested in a reading/study group?

I'll organize one if there is interest.

If you read anything of Tacitius, it should be Germania, as that gives an account, albeit biased, of the Germanic tribes during Roman times. Remember to keep a salt-shaker on you when reading it.

IM ANGRY ABOVT GERMANS
==CLICK HERE TO FIND OVT WHY==

Really that bad?

AWOO AWOO AWOO
I'm all out of Latin

Remember that Romans and Greeks thought that anyone that didn't speak their language was savage barbarians.

Real Latin here, I approve of this

Sure, but if you are willing to start at square 1.

The reason why I absolutely adore Latin is because of the inflections and lack of aticles, which is the case in my native language as well. It is also the reason why I see and dislike modern English as a retarded mess of French and Germanic hobbled together with Victorian Latin.

Latin is very close to the roots of PIE, hence a lot of similarity to Slavic and Germanic root words that aren't loanswords but native. The grammar really flows as well once you get the rhythm of the language and the world order follows from it.

I am at the very basic level with Latin atm, I just only covered most of the 1st declension and the types of inflections, but I'm hankering to dig into the complex grammar and reading of proper texts. Probably will start with De Bello Gallico.

Well I'm related to Robert the Bruce and William Wallace through their cousin Roger de Kirkpatrick, I also am apparently related to the current ruling family of Britain (more dubious I need to do more research into this as well as do DNA testing). Eventually both sides of the family kind of fell out of favor and descended into poverty.
If I do turn out to be of royal linage you guys can bet your ass I will try and grab the throne of the U.K. even if I'm a Clapistani

Meant to say word order but the other works too.

It would be interesting if the Latin received in us a host. It is too much, still.

Eric?

Another interesting Latin fact for you. On Roman coins or when referencing any Roman Emperor after Augustus you will often see the title "AVG" this is short for Augustus. Because as you should know "V=U" and the proper spelling of Augustus naturally is AVGVSTVS

Nah, sorry m80

unless you hold excalibur in your hands noone will ever support a yank
mfw ours is the only nation in the world where a magic sword can literally confer divine right of kings on a man

I consider Tacitus as far less biased than the others of his age though so his would be the most trustworthy accounts

SALVE

I'm somewhat interested. I started learning Latin over Christmas, but it's been hard to keep up the study now that work's started again.

Also, looks like /latin/ is free. Anyone want to claim it?

Thanks grandpa I guess

yea sure, sounds fun.

I'd join

annuit cœptus novus ordo seclorum

inanimate objects have gender in english too.

How?

Latin is a wonderful and robust language with strong PIE roots. Lefties and shitskins can't touch it and we can use it to our advantage.
We could even manufacture memes with Latin, to spread awareness of the language and history, we already have "Deus Vult"

ships, vehicles and parts of the machine are given the pronoun she

You are right, I was just trying to spell out phonetically how it should be pronounced with non-composite vowels. Not a native English speaker you see.

there are three genders; masculine, feminine, and neuter. gender only referred to these grammar distinctions until feminists wanted to push the "gender is a social construct," meme.

inanimate objects having genders is a part of every language, especially german

DEBEMUS AEDIFICARE MURUM PROPTER ILLOS FABAE STULTAE

What textbook would you want to use? I have Lingva Latina, and also the Cambridge course on latin book.

I mean its nice to speak the language of Legionarycucks but still

COHORS PARATI

Fuck me, I'm rusty. It should be "fabas stultas"

Literally nothing wrong with them

Also

Maybe in the past, but I've never heard anyone speak like that before.

When will this meme end
t. pasta

people still say that with their boats and name the boat with a female name just go to your local pier
t. lives 30 minutes away from the ocean

Pretty implicitly white tbh

I agree Richard.

Thank you for the image. I now have a new idea on how to represent the practicality of shields on a modern battlefield. I am making these. in the little spare time I have. FML it'll be months at this rate.

Anyone have a definite guide on the classical pronunciation, by the way?

There are guides in most textbooks, but it really helps to hear it. If you like 'Familia Romana', you can get both the Classical and Ecclesiastical readings of the text.

hackettpublishing.com/lingua-latina-per-se-illustrata-series/lingua-latina-audio-files

Ab and ex become a and e before consonants, cf. a priori.

Mods have anchored the thread. Should we regroup somewhere else?

>>>/spqr/

That sounds like that scene from 'Life of Brian'

Paen means what? Not? Non?

This is Holla Forums related!

Holla Forums has fallen captive, the jewish administratorship is trying to control us now.

I actually want Holla Forums to start communicating in this language. It would annoy normies trying to scour our super secret base.

I learned this today.
Blond - male
Blonde - female

SPQRchan is a thing.
spqrchan.org/
Though at the moment, it looks goon infested and dead. Why not retake it for the glory of Rome?

I'd rather just stick to Holla Forums for the time being, better the devil you know.

Pretty frustrating tbh fam. On the bright side, I know that I'm descended from one of his grandsons who served at Valley forge under George Washington during the Revolutionary War. The family was awarded a coat of arms actually from the newly founded government after the war ended for their service.
Fucking brits. Oh well, we showed them in the end anyway.

perpendiculum.iobloggo.com/cat/pronuncia-restituta/427317

Couldn't you claim /latin/ as your own board and become the BO since it's an empty board? you know more Latin the I do. I don't know very much

Why the fuck is this thread anchored?

because the mods are kikes

You must mean someone else, because I'm a rank amateur at Latin. I claimed the board though. It will be a Holla Forums style Latin Language study board.

an amateur always outranks a novice especially one that started today

In any case, I'll remain the BO until someone with more knowledge and enthusiasm comes along.