Avoids an entire operating system because of its init system

PSA: focus on more important things about a distribution like stability, security and its package manager and stop worrying about "bloat" shit

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=761658
github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/7182
video.fosdem.org/2014/Janson/Sunday/NSA_operation_ORCHESTRA_Annual_Status_Report.webm
gnu.org/licenses/license-compatibility.html.
gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Most alternative init systems are more stable and more secure than poetteringware.
Also a package managerhas notbing to do with your choice in init system.
If you like apt it's available on devuan, antiX
If you like pacman(lel) there is the option for openrc on arch(or i think there was)
Gentoo can uses openrc and i think you can install systemd on it
If you want something like arch but more stable and dont care about packages use void

Although systemd has gotten more press for being "insecure" that's because it gets more views from angry readers, SysV is much more vulnerable to attacks than systemd. Stability has also improved last time I checked
P.S. I'm using MX Linux, a distro that uses SysV instead of systemd.

What "security" are you talking about if an init system doesn't let me connect to a VPN without leaking my DNS queries to Google out of the box? I just want the fucking thing to work, not to fiddle with bash scripts and hacking iptables rules.

Source?

its almost like there are only two possible /sbin/init variants

why the fuck is this gay ass thread still up

another init thread

That wasn't my point, retard

Got BTFO too hard in the other thread eh Red Hat shill?

Just go shitpost on Reddit, the adults are talking here.

Which thread?
And why would you avoid an operating system because of its init system exactly?

Google spyware and the attitude that lead to its inclusion.

Give sources to your claims

All the distros are almost the fucking same. Its these details that matters. They are all one of a few kernels, one of a few package managers, they all have the same libraries and shit installed on all of them with slightly different names. Init system is a big piece of that variation. You know all these different linux distros are 99% the same shit right? Init system is one of the few big pieces that is meaningfully different.

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=761658

Oh shit
Well thanks for being the first person on this board to actually give me a solid reason to avoid it

Avoiding an entire operating system because it's overrun with anime avatarfagging cuckchan attention whores is another good reason.

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/7182

Go fuck yourself nigger.
Two of the three are affected by the init. SystemD's code is gigantic and wasn't audited, so odds are it's very insecure even if you ignore the shit devs it has.

[citation needed]
Yeah they still have a lot of room for improvement for sure, unlike good inits.

Not him but I noticed on a routine check that my DNS was leaking. Turned out systemberg added a DNS hijack so I wasn't using unbound but Poettering's kosher featureless DNS. After disabling systemberg's DNS things went back to normal.

why can't they just leave resolv.conf alone?

If you configure systemd to handle your DNS you should change the default settings don't you think? resolved is disabled by default.

not resolvconfconf.conf

For your convenience, so you do not need to bother your pretty little head with these details~

If you did not set up DNS it should not work. It is not their business to decide what DNS server others should use, and even less to pick one from a multinational corporation that makes its money off of personal data.

Also it is planned to make it default in the future. SystemD consumes.

see

lol

Firstly I am going to sage.
Secondly I will say that there is nothing at all wrong with Devuan. It's like Debian with a fembian-free side order of fries

There should be no default in the first place. It is part of an older system, designed in an era in which networks/ISPs didn't always specify a DNS server. This is a non-existent scenario, and when it does come up network manager has solutions for it.

Why does systemd have this in it? Why were the defaults changed so recently? Why is a "corporate" solution needed when the problem has been long fixed in the first place?

I'll avoid operating systems for a CoC.

Please fuck off to reddit.
Stop worrying about bloat? Really, bigger?

This "bloat" means nothing in the long run of operating your computer. Have some proper sense of perspective.

This is absurd, every iota of unnecessary bloat and processing decreases the life of your computer. Why do you think Windows was designed the way it was?

Just to add to this shitpost.

jesus you're retarded

And this is a GOOD thing. It makes LINUX much easier to support.

Uh, systemd is LGPL.

Even worse.

Exactly as planned...

It could be because of:
-Incompetence.
-Bad management
-Reinventing the wheel (but badly because you're incompetent or sniffing your farts so much that you don't realize it)
-CIA niggers

On Sun, 2015-03-29 at 05:57 +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
Wouldn't it be then the naturally expected result that DNS recursion
simply fails and not built-in resolver of some data and money greedy
company is used?
If I haven't DNS configured, I probably don't want it to happen - and if
I do, then I will very quickly notice that it doesn't work and can
easily correct it.

The amount of privacy leakage that sums up these days in Linux and also
Debian is really disturbing.
The masses whine about mass surveillance and we have nothing better to
do than just making live of spy and tracking companies as easy as
possible.
I'm probably used to, that all kinds of GNOME programs leak my peers to
gravatar (and even that the respective upstreams are quite hostile, when
one tells them they have privacy issues)... but now we start such things
even at the lowest system level?
Simply disturbing.

Well and I'm sure the NSA is best in storing data safely - nevertheless
I wouldn't want them to provide me their "friendly backup services".

I'm really not inclined to start another security discussion, since
that's already lost cause in Debian... but the appropriate way would be
to reopen this bug, solve it so that no data/privacy leakage happen...
or perhaps to retitle Debian Windows, since apparently we're at the best
way to become a system where everything works with many colours out of
the box, but no longer under control or possessed by the user/admin.

Cheers,
Chris.

savage

systemd has been a buggy piece of shit every time I tried to use it.

Your post has been closed, WON'T FIX.

It just so happens that no systemd-default system has any of those traits. Nothing to do with the init system.

A few years ago I'd have said this was physically impossible.

there's other dedicated programs you can use if you dislike systemd

Really activates my almonds.
Operation Orchestra is looking more realistic.

this never happens in actual use, fag

A great mindset which, I'm sure, some posters actually have. While we're at it, we should also remove the safe-mode from all firearms, so that the trigger will always be pulled when you touch it. Gun owners should always read the complete manual and also only load the weapon a few seconds before they want to fire it. It is the duty of the gun owner alone to provide safety.

Fun read.

Nice strawman, faggot. Just like you shouldn't run random commands without knowing what they do you should not enable random services without knowing what they do. It's called being a system administrator, and taking responsibility for your own system.

Debian isn't fsf.

The funny thing with systemd propagandist like you, is why do you want everyone to use it? Why do you even give a fuck about a random board with not so much users?
"We", let's say some of us, don't want it. We want and support other alternatives.

What is your problem? I'll never use systemd.
This fucking proselytism is crazy.
Get back to reddit. I'm sure there is a tone of people who'll agree with you.
Have you ever tried runit? That's so smooth and simple I don't know how I can continue to use anything else.

That seriously must be a bait. Just talking about "bloat shit" shows that he don't understand anything about what he's doing.

Just a little reminder: Red Hat is a company, and the biggest client is the US army. Anyone with money, can anonymously fuel any project without the dev knowing anything about his motives. We'll not forget the sudden push for systemd out of nowhere, and the obligation to many distro to only use it, in a matter of months, for projects that are decades old.

And shit defaults are called shit defaults. What do you think happens when you type "rm *" and why do you think your system is still there after that by default? Do you think it could have something to do with least damaging defaults?
You can call it a strawman or whatever - but that's how stupid you sound.

Never heard of that before.
Creepy parallels

Interesting.
Here is the accompanying video if anyone is wants it
video.fosdem.org/2014/Janson/Sunday/NSA_operation_ORCHESTRA_Annual_Status_Report.webm

Agree with everything else, but a discussion about what kind of license suits a given software and situation best in not necessarily a JTRIG psyop. Let's not forget that the GPL protects software from being turned proprietary, something permissive licenses don't. Also, I'd like to add that many people divides free licenses into two caps: permissive and copyleft. There is another one called intermediary, to which the LGPL belongs: gnu.org/licenses/license-compatibility.html. That said, maybe it's better if we insist on GPL-compatabilty instead of GPL.
Find a license from this list: gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
Ignore everyone from this list: gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

Man he's right about needing politics solve this, but unfortunately as soon as politics get involved you get a bunch flaming faggots bringing up unrelated bullshit. I guess we just need to gas them all before we can even dream of anything useful being accomplished.

Fuck off license fag. If you read/watched the rest of the talk you would have determined that it literally makes no difference if its proprietary or your particular flavour of free. Of course since you are a follower of the GPL it doesn't suprise me that the only thing you care about is "muh license."

nsa pls go.

Bullshit. The reason they have to go through the effort of manipulating documentation, giving themselves plausible deniability and so on is because it is free software, and your cuck license lets them make it proprietary that makes subverting it much easier and even easier to hide.

The point is that is blocks consensus, they are seldom educated/informative posts and are generally in threads where they don't belong. It is a rare occurence that licensing posts have any meaningful value and serve a purpose other than to divide and distract.

case in point.

Dude, just change the defaults! Nobody is forcing anybody to use the defaults!

What if Stallman was a CIA mole? What if Linus is a KGB agent?
OMG abandon ship autists we were the botnet all along

shill/retard that should lurk and stfu detected.