Thoughts on this man?

Thoughts on this man?

Identity politics and spectral beings

he coo'

idpol

I like him, but I will admit that he does too much id pol.

He's a good dude.

I like him.

Don't know who he is, but he has a nice suit.

Muh perpetratorless, victimless racism

A bit idpol but pretty cool overall.

I mean he's pretty a lot of idpol but he has a really good insight into the economic roots of racism and discrimination. 6/10

Great guy. Bit of an idpoler, but seems to understand that class is the heart of the problem.

So why give him a 6/10? Is idpol inherently negative? And if so, why?

This. He's a mixed (no pun intended) bag.

Yeah. I view idpol is something inherently negative. It focus on superficial qualities and teaches people to underestimate the material roots of oppression. It encourages people to have solidarity with wealthy members of the identity group, to seek rights from the establishment, and discourages class based Harmony. It's worth noting we also consider Holla Forums and conservative stuff to be idpol too. Anyway I was being lazy with my first post. I marked him down a few points for being part of the elite leftists academic circles in America. Which I've lost a lot of respect for over the years because of the way they fall in line with the status quo when the going gets tough.

He's awesome. He slammed Hillary and openly advocated for Jill Stein on TV thus making Bill Maher lose his shit. He's alright with me.

Idpol

Get out.

Hm okay. I see your point.

This id pol stuff is kind of silly. Very few people alive probably care as much about curbing it as some of you do and especially among leftists.

If that's you're problem with it, then it doesn't apply to Cornel West or at least I need actual proof that it does. His focus is on marginalized people as such, I.e Palestinians and poor black, lgbt individuals. Not in the sense that Tim Cook, a billionaire is gay and therefore is oppressed or marginalized.

If you knew how we would react then why did you make this thread?

Keep it up, leftypol.

He supports BLM. I mean yeah he's better then most. I saw an interview of his with Abby Martin where she tried to pull the usual white guilt stuff and he just looked uncomfortable and tried to move the conversation away from it. He certainly isn't Bell Hooks or anything. Anyway like I said I was lazy in my first post. A big factor is that he's part of the part of the entrenched "leftists" academic circle. I actually really enjoy the stuff he has to say about reconstruction and racism in America though. He's a mixed bag like the other guy said.

Pretty standard anti-communist DSA shill, not someone I take seriously. He's far above the level of the average person though and he can be helpful in some situations. Though that's more of a testament to the low level of class-consciousness than the soundness of his politics.

Bill Maher losing his shit is always great

He's really shown himself to be an absolute piece of shit over the years. He's the post child for smug liberal.

He used to be a Marxist back in the day.

So did a lot of people even some prominent libertarian use to be Marxist. It use to be the trendy intellectual position. Kind of like liberalism and libertarianism now. In France, a lot of those assholes trying to take away workers rights and destroying French Republicanism were leftist protestors in the 60s and 70s.

Cornel West is fucking based, he is Black Jesus

I don't regard him as IDpol. A few little sprinkles of IDpol here and there is OK as long as you can reasonably justify it and present it as a symptom of capitalism. That's what Brother West does.

Nice afro

That's true. I'm mixed but I can't grow one. Of I try I basically just grow a curly mullet. It looks terrible.

brother west is cool but very anti communist

He only stopped being a Marxist because he saw it as deeply anti-theism. He still is in many ways anti-capitalist and is sympathetic enough to have at least spoken at conferences with both Zizek and Eichard Wolff on separate occasions.

*Richard Wolff

Hell. He got into trouble a while back for endorsing Bob Avakian who IIRC is a Maoist.

i saw him an zizek it was nice im not saying he wouldnt be on our side on most issues and he will often talk to Marxist but still says alot about not being a communist/Marxist whatever , hes cool tho

You have the wrong impression of him. See:

I like how he calls everyone brother. It makes me all warm and fuzzy. But when I do it, I sound like pic related

I'm confused are we talking about West or Maher? My comment was about Maher not West.

Oops. Sorry fam. I was talking about Cornel. Bill Maher used to be a lolbert and is indeed anti-communist – especially anarchists.

Black misleadership class

A pretty cool guy, most of his idpol keeps class central so he's not doing anything awful.

nigger

Oh I though he was still a Marxist. I'm disappointed that he isn't. His historical writings always seemed like they were from a Marxist perspective.

I like to listen to him talk, so he at least has that going for him

>>>Holla Forums