What would Zizek say about American Psycho...

What would Zizek say about American Psycho? I feel like there would be some gold in this movie in terms of Zizekian analysis.

I doubt there'd be a lot to say.
The real psychos in this film are all the yuppies, and some feminist silliness the director tried to shoehorn into it. That's it.

Something like: "Well, you know, like, it's not like, you know, when people say, you know, this or that, no. Absolutely no. I hate that! In fact it's exactly the opposite of this, no? I mean, you know, Kant, and Hegel, Marx, and so on and so on, but to me it is totally wrong.

There are still things that I think could have potential. The constant cases of mistaken identity for example. Or how about how he mixes a cheap prostitute woth a high class one.
Lots of little details.

t. chomsky

where was that?

I assume he's talking about the female director putting a lot of emphasis on sexual abuse. Otherwise I have no idea

Probably the conversation between a bunch of rich white cis males where they literally say all women are nothing but walking fuckholes that need to be slapped around and their tiny brains don't matter, also the fat and ugly ones are useless and should basically be put to death.
Honestly women flatter themselves with how much time they think men spend thinking up ways to oppress and abuse them.
I could give 2 shits about 3dpd, give me that anime robot waifu

Given that the author of the book admitted that he wrote it as a critique of the vapidity and egocentrism of 80s capitalism and his intent is as obvious as a candle in the eye, I don't see what you'd expect Zizek to add.

The constant cases of mistaken identity are a comment on the shallowness and narcissism of the yuppies who inhabit the world of the novel.

The prostitutes, I think, are intended to show how capitalism degrades and devalues all the those below the apex of the pyramid. The cheap woman is abused by being shown the body of the expensive woman and thus her own lack of worth. Similarly, the high class hooker is shown that even for the price she commands, she is as devoid of value to the protagonist as the cheap woman, attacking her self-esteem.

Their early work *sniff" I don't care about. But when Sports came out in '83 it was ideology at it's purest, you see. Huey's magnum opus "Hip To Be Square" *sniff* on one hand critics say the lyrics are about the pleasures conformity and the importance of trends and so on and so on. But no! I totally reject this. I mean, you know, you see it's a personal statement about the band itself

meh i don't think that's a totally unfair characterisation of wall street yuppies, a bad male in a movie doesnt make it feminist in my mind (or at least not obnoxiously so)

Bad impression.

I just interpreted that scene to have meant "rich capitalists are fucking pigs who think only of themselves". If it was both male bourgs and male proles, then I could see it being the director trying to imply "patriarchy".

feels bad man (good book)

To be fair I live in a conservative part of burgerstan, but lots of dudes think like that. They aren't as explicit as the porkies in the movie, but yeah the attitude is there.

Sadly, that's not an uncommon mentality among the younger ruling class.

the sexual abuse was there in the novel too.

I always thought American Psycho was supposed to be an allegory for the brutality of the Reagan Revolution, that's why Patrick Bateman pretends to be a clean cut successful business man but deep down he's a shallow, materialistic, homophobe who hates the poor and homeless more than anyone else he kills.

It was explicitly a criticism of the 80s mentality yeah

My favourite part is when Bateman goes back to the apartment he left all the dead bodies and gore in and it's all cleaned up, and the real estate agent knows what he did but she out-sociopaths him and tells him to leave so she can sell the apartment

My favorite part is when Bateman talks about how great pop-Genesis is compared to prog-rock Genesis. Only someone pretty familiar with the band can really understand the point of this scene: it's to show how absolutely batshit is Bateman by having such terrible taste and using sophistry to justify it

Checked.

fucking this

t. no argument

great film, vaporwave af 9/11