Madman Storytime

I can't sleep, have some Madman.

I really like Frank's introspection in these books. It asks interesting questions while still maintaining an air of innocence, and his faith in God being reinforced by his resurrection without solidifying it to a specific understanding is interesting.

Man Frank does some pretty hardcore shit in this first arc.

Being Gale is suffering.

And now, the end of the beginning.

Fuck, don't lie to Frank.

And thus ends the Oddity Odyssey. I might do more later if anyone ends up reading this.

Gonna read this later but I just wanted to say thanks OP. I love spontaneous storytimes.

bump

(checked)
Just finished reading the whole thing. And wow what a ride.

The thing is pretty surreal at first, and I thought I was in it for a Deadpool-clone story, but I've actually grown to liking Madman a lot. And the pacing was perfect, the story is not too long and shit actually gets done in each issue… I'm surprised the girl fell for Madman though, and even long before he "proved his worth" to her.
And what's with the weird scribbles at the bottom of each page?

Thanks a lot for this, user.

They're a flip book

Oh wow, that's pretty neat.
He keeps going left and right though and it's disorienting as fuck

It's so it would work both ways in the printed comics. You know if an user with some photoshop skills made a gif out of it and put it next to the Holla Forums logo it could make for a pretty cool banner.

Oh I get it now. So it's like one animation on the odd pages and another on the even pages. Clever.

I can have a crack at the banner thing but I'm afraid the BO is no longer adding banners.

OP here, gonna sober up and read Bug! #1 in the DC thread, then dump some more Madman. I think next is Madman Adventures? I'll try to do the next story arc, whatever it is I'll do at least 3 issues worth.

Yeah, Mike has a tendency to put a lot of 'true love'/'soul mate' type relationships in his works, they're aren't terribly interesting in and of themselves but they lead to some interesting dynamics with the people around said couple. Apparently it's because he's head over heels for his wife. That said Frank is pretty appealing in and of himself, he's a good mix of sensitive/understanding and badass who don't take no shit.

Anyways onward we go, Mike's wife Laura starts doing colors for the art and it slowly transitions into a more Pop Art style. Honestly the Oddity Odyssey is my favorite arc, but that shouldn't be seen as implying that it's all downwards from there. The core aspects I loved about the story and character stay and develop throughout the series, the plot itself just sort of gradually changes from the weirdly gorish cartoony sci-fi stories I preferred to a sort of modified gorish silver age cape comic type stories, which are still pretty good. Visuals get trippy as fuck later on too.

Anyways here's the next arc of Madman.

I think about 4 of these costumes enter regular rotation. Rest still look pretty cool though.

Actually wait, only the last one in that page actually gets used alongside his normal one. A couple other slight variations come along later though.

Being Gale continues to be suffering.

These are big files.

Alright, this is the last issue for the night, it's also one of my favorites. I think. Hard to tell through thumbnails.

Okay this IS the one I thought it was. Good. Mind Expanding.

Thanks for the story time user

You're welcome user.

I don't think this guy ever shows up again, but he's entertaining.

And that's all for tonight.

Sweet. The creator seems like a nice fellow too, we need more people like him who portray healthy heterosexual relationships in comics.
I'll read this later and report back as usual but I wanted to ask; the 3 issues you storytimed at the beginning of the thread are supposed to be the first appearance of madman, right? Would I be missing anything if they weren't?

They're essentially the first appearance of Madman, the only prior appearance is Creatures of the Id and you aren't missing anything by not reading that. The appearance there is like two pages and it's just him narrating a story about how people are dicks to him because of how fucked up his face looks. I guess it's interesting because it takes place before the mental breakdown that causes him to start wearing the mask and sets the Oddity Odyssey in motion, and it shows that maybe Allred had some different ideas for Frank floating around in his head before he turned into Madman, but I'm pretty sure there's no scans and it's not really worth shelling out the $80+ dollars a copy of it costs just to read it. I speak from experience on that one.

Does anyone know if this is Mormon mythos or just some of Allred's fantasy lore? Because I know he slips in equal helpings of both into this setting.

Alright I'm back. By the way does anyone know what issues the Superman crossover takes place between? Because otherwise I'm just gonna do it once I get to the third volume.

These files are big.

Planting a lot of seeds in this issue.

And here's the final issue of the night.

And that's all tonight, we'll conclude this story tomorrow.

That's how you know this was made in the 90's.

I'm going to have to come back and read all this, but I had to say that Mr. Robot here is the cutest robot I've seen all year.

And we're back for 3 more issues, starting with the conclusion of last night's story.

Keep an eye out for tonight's special guest star in this issue.

Also keep an eye out for tonight's less special guest star.

And that's all for tonight. Check in tomorrow for when shit gets even crazier.

And here's more Madman.

And that's all for tonight.

And we're back for three more issues.

Reading this kind of makes me want to give Golden Plates a read.

Is anyone still reading these?

Screw it, I'm just gonna do this whole arc for now.

I forgot how brutally Allred had Conan and Andy Richter die.

Huh, the black rings around his eyes are fading.

And thus ends The Exit of Dr. Boiffard, a rather pivotal story for Madman. I might be back tonight to do the Superman crossover.

I am

thank you btw

I'm reading this too, thank you for the storytimes OP.

And I'm back with the Superman Madman Hullabaloo.

Actually I was wrong here, there are other appearances in between Creatures of the Id and the Oddity Odyssey in Grafik Muzik. Apparently it's more substantial than Creatures of the Id, but the majority of it is recapped in the various origin flashbacks Dr. Flem gives and the G-Men From Hell arc that I'll be dumping tomorrow.

These designs are pretty cool, kind of a shame they're wasted on a one off.

Astroman ain't taking no shit Machina.

Being Gale continues to be suffering.

That was a pretty good way to end it IMO. Anyways that's all for tonight, I'll be back tomorrow to dump G-Men From Hell!

Yup this user sure is.

And here's three more issues. I think my scans stop around the time this arc ends, and my torrent for the Atomics and Atomic Comics is slow as fuck, so it might be a couple of days before I can continue after this.

Oh yeah the holiday special comes before G-Men from Hell. Been a while sine I re-read the Dark Horse stuff.

Oh shit that print after the cover is from the Jam crossover. I've gotta get scans of that, it's awesome. Might be my favorite of the Madman crossovers.

And from what I understand this is the best recap of Grafik Muzik that's really available. Maybe one day I'll collect all the old floppies and try to scan them.

And that's all for now. I'll be back later, or maybe tomorrow to finish up this arc.

And here's the rest of G-Men from Hell.

By the way this actually got made into a movie. Apparently the DVD came with Astroesque as a special feature too.

Meanwhile some director has been sitting on the theatrical rights to Madman for like 20 years now.

I think this special was the last thing to come out before The Atomics. Actually it may have come out after the first couple issues of Atomics, I'm not entirely sure on the chronology.

And that's all for now, I'll be back in a few days to storytime The Atomics. Probably.

The torrents slow, but I did manage to get my favorite crossover, Madman & The Jam, out of it after a couple of hours, so I'm dumping that now.

There are a lot of reasons I like this, and they're mostly to do with the art. First off I like it when both artists co-operate in a crossover, even if it is Just Allred drawing Frank in and Mireault doing the rest. They don't do cool stuff like that enough.

Second off, Laura doing her more simplistic coloring style over top of Mireault's sort of grungy cartoonish art style is a neat combination.
Plus the fact that it's a Madman story means it involves a lot of crazy, trippy visuals that Mireault doesn't usually draw(from what I understand The Jam is basically a really chill Canadian version of Kickass), and which work really well with the combination of his art style and Laura's colors.
And when you put all that together it just makes the whole story feel like a special, unique experience. Like it's not just characters crossing over into the same story, it's the creators genuinely coming together, and combining the styles and tones that make those character's series special. Not a lot of crossovers really accomplish that IMO, and I don't think any other Madman one does it this well.

Plus the two characters have a pretty good dynamic.

Man this shit looks cool.

And that's all.
I'll be back whenever with The Atomics, and then Atomic Comics.

Has anyone here actually heard of or read The Jam before? Because it seems cool.

bump

I've heard of it, but never read it.

Alright I got all of The Atomics and I think all of Atomic Comics, once I finish them I might dump The Jam because rereading the crossover got me interested in it. Anyways here's the first three issues of The Atomics!

That's all for tonight.

This is quite a nifty series.

Just got back from an LCS and I'm feeling good. Here's 6 more issues for your troubles, Holla Forums.

I guess this one was ripped straight from the floppy. Weird scans.

I think this guy's origin warrants his own mini-series.

And that's all for now. I'll be back with more later, sometime. Eventually.

Here's more.

Fuck it I'll just finish off The Atomics tonight. I think this Savage Dragon crossover goes until the end of the run.

Shit did I just hit bump limit?

Oh shit, I completely forgot they reprinted this.

And that's all for tonight. I fucked up and hit autosage, so I'll probably start a new thread for Atomic Comics.