All Hail King Julien: Exiled trailer

All Hail King Julien: Exiled trailer

Meh. Not as interesting as Penguins of Mad, and considering it's a netflix show it's probably gonna be shit.

Show's been plenty shit so far. A lot of leftie propagand in every episode. Even I think a diaper fetish episode….

Is this trend for DreamWorks/Netflix cartoons? Rebrand them as a new show after it gets too many seasons?

I'm still mad they cancelled penguins for this mediocre turd.

That's more due to the Nick deal ending

Puss in Boots is better.

Well, its got to be better than Fruit Ninja Frenzy Force.

Is Dragons:Race to the Edge good?

Given that they re-branded Veggietales in the House to Veggietales int he City, it kind of seems like it, doesn't it?
I feel like we need one more of their shows to do it before we know for sure.
Not Dragons though, Dragons was rebranding between seasons when it was still on TV, so it's allowed to do that. And probably will given that the latest season of Race to the Edge ends with the Edge in question being destroyed.

does it actually still have christian messages? Or did those get CURRENT YEARed away?

This version is by Doug TenNapel, meaning they still have religious-themed morals at the end, but focus more on gag writing

For god's sake, let this franchise fucking die already.

If by Christian messages you mean the moral of every episode is cited from the bible, then yes.

Very subtle message right there

It's a four movie franchise.
Even if it isn't a high tier franchise, Madagascar is still one of their big ones.
So when Netflix gives you a bunch of money to make whatever you want, you dust off some of those big franchises and see if anyone still likes them.

I like the art style on The Peabody & Sherman Show cover, anybody seen the show?

It's kind of zany.
Like the animators are playing a game to see who can create the wackiest faces.

Yeah, that was a thing. Lots of shitty toilet humor and everyone showing off their 'hot' diapers.

Its still pretty true to itself surprisingly and its probably one of the few shows that have actually improved as they aged.

I'm still pissed they didn't go with the 2D path. They went 3D and just keep Puss confined to the same boring village in a magic bubble every fucking day when it should about him traveling the world and going on wild adventures damn it.

I like the music.

Maybe they just like that kind of mind turn off silliness.

He said Penguins were more interesting than Julian, not interesting period.

This isn't half bad, I might just watch it.

Nice, too short though.
We need this in the music video thread.

Well, Penguins already had their big movie, I imagine they wanted to try someone else.
Don't ask why the actual main characters of the movie franchise are never up for these kinds of things.

Are they still planning a second Puss movie?

It's not currently on the table right now.
I think maybe the TV Show is them trying to see if there's enough interest to greenlight Puss 2?

It is neat how almost all the stuff in the trailer is from past episodes.
He's going full story mode for the show's finale so it'll be interesting to see how he attempts to weave every random thing that's happened so far into one big thing.

It's alright. It's not bad but it's not great.

Legit triggered. Why the fuck would they do this?

Well, little girls love horses, and they weren't going to do anything else with that IP

If it makes you feel better, the setting actually is still old-timey.
The main characters just look like they stepped out of the present day to be more relateable, I suppose.

You know, until the rip in the dimensions in the trailer, I kind of forgot that multiverse shenanigans were on the table.

I am partially disgusted by the artstyle, designs and the fact that this has to exist when the film was good enough as a standalone. Damn you Dreamworks. Next up you'll be making a 3D tv show about El Dorado with none of the adventurous feel and completely devoid of the charm of Bing Crosby and Bob Hope.

Well, know I'm even more disgusted.

so they made gentle, sweet cat waifu into another "strong independent". Guess I can't say I'm surprised.

Well they had to given that she's the chosen one destined to rid the world of an ancient evil.

…. I think I'm glad I stopped watching this show after the first season.

I mean, that's what the entire show was building up to.

I figured it was about Puss doing random adventures.

Well, that's just the first season's episodic hijinks.
After that it's a serialized adventure about an ancient evil awakening and the cat of destiny.

I think the real crime is there's practically no art of Dulcinea. Not even of the QUALITY variety.

yeah, I can't say I'm happy they took it that direction but if you enjoy it that's fine.

if anyone has some ideas I might be willing to draw something. I enjoy cat characters.

Serialized is just kind of the way that works best with Netflix.
The King Julien showrunner even talks about how Netflix kept bugging him to make AHKJ into a more serialized show and that's where we are now with Exiled.

I suppose if it works then it works. It's not like being serialized is a bad thing.

Only a few days left, we'll just have to see.
I'm curious as to what happens next, in interviews he implied this "Exiled" story was just going to be one 13 episode season, and then season 6 was going to be the last one and written to be the definitive end.
I'll be curious to see if story mode continues into the last season as well.
And if they have to rebrand the show yet again if he stops being exiled after the end of this season.

She's shit. The black cat from the movie was better.

The show is here, let the fun times roll!

So much to work with, but such a worthless job is done. Absolutely disgusting.

What does serialized mean?

Episodic: Random plots of the day that don't really have a whole lot of connection with each other.
Serialized: There's an ongoing plot between episodes and they're all connected.
In Exiled's case, it's literally one continual 13 part story and the regular opening theme has been replaced with a recap of the previous episode.

I understand now, thanks user.

I suppose if you put all 13 together youd get a fairly decent summary of the entire arc.
Maybe not a good song though, the melody would repeat too much.

This is probably the reason I saw Madagascar cereal in 2017

It's actually pretty cool how this big story turned out.
As promised when he compared it to Mystery Inc, it does have a bunch of stuff that builds up to crazy cosmic events, but it still stays a comedy.
In fact, a lot of the final battle is just everyone watching all the big plans that have been set up throughout the arc and a bunch of extra deus ex machina all happen at once and most of them canceling each other out.
Now it'll be sad to see the show end next season.

And now it's like twice as terrible to think that Julien eventually abandons the kingdom without a second thought in the movies.

Dreamsworks touches nothing pre-madagascgar, be glad. Prince Of Egypt animated series, jesus

It's like they want DWA not to sell it to TV networks

Given that they started selling out AHKJ as soon as it "ended" (which it technically did because remember, Exiled is listed as an entirely new show), that's probably a fair point.

Here, I did that.

>the adventures
That is beyond stupid.

Well, it's a mystical town of great treasures that he accidentally broke the protective spell on, so adventure is just sort of drawn to it intrinsically.

It was blatant with the wall and scorpion/gun episodes, but were there any others?

A supervillain manages to sweet talk his way into office that one time.

with a southern accent to boot. Forgot about that.

Oh, and the big bad of Exiled starts spoofing Make America Great Again.

I just got to this, there's not even a set up for why he uses it, he just does. This is the most obvious pull.

Well it is Dreamworks, you gotta throw in the trendy pop culture reference from time to time.

Mort's got one of those physically hurts the voice actor to do voices.
I wonder if he appreciates that Mort has gone from a one liner character to a main character with lots of dialogue, often with multiple versions of himself.

A reference to that other Netflix show?

I post this only because My Little Pony always describes its adult male horses as "stallions"

I mean it's not like they are drawn with genitals anyway. Even when not being used as a sexual angle, having the unmentionables in their proper place is seen as icky.

Spirit was always notable in that they did bother to draw a little bump meant to represent genitals on the horses.

In the end, the most they did with the multiverse is use it to explain Mort's split personality disorder; he literally has other Morts living inside of him.

It gets a little off the wall, but that was sort of promised when he said he was going to make it like his past work on Mystery Inc.

Julien and PiB launched within a month of each other and so new releases of both are generally close together.
I hope PiB is soon because I want to see where it's going with "We defeated an ancient evil from the pits of hell but forgot to close the hellmouth he walked out of".

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an aye-aye.

Why all the Madagascar spin-offs? Has the franchise really been that successful?

Dreamworks mission statement is to create large franchises that can have many sequels.
It has 4 movies now, so they want to see if there's interest for a 5th.
Like how they tried a Croods show when they were working on Croods 2 before deciding maybe the sequel wouldn't work out.

In a darker story, this sequence of events would probably involve a deliberate suicide instead of an accident.