DOT tries to make cars safer, doesn't understand how open systems work

archive.is/V0hcS
The DoT wants all cars to be equipped with ability to talk to each other to prevent accidents by 2023. Anyone who knows anything about computers know this is a fucking awful idea, as a hacker can cause massive wrecks if this were implemented.

Other urls found in this thread:

scpr.org/blogs/multiamerican/2015/01/06/17767/calif-dmv-immigrants-drivers-license-AB60/
tru*cks.com/2016/11/29/trucking-industry-praises-elaine-chao-us-dot-choice/
electrek.co/2016/10/26/tesla-now-offers-almost-20000-in-software-upgradable-options-when-buying-a-vehicle/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They should make the steering wheel do nothing in order to prevent the "driver" from tampering with the safety features. :^)

This move toward automated cars has been coming for a long time. Seven or eight years ago the car companies were already connecting the CD players to their vehicles' drive by wire systems for some reason. I guess if you want assassinations to be easier to cover up, that would help.

Yes, you need LESS control over your own lives goyim.

at least the Trumpenreich will put a hamper on electric cars, where you've zero control over the car's software and they can update it automatically at will. Not to mention literal DLC for your car (extra battery capacity, speed, autopilot, etc. can all be unlocked on your Tesla for a few thousand dollars). Fuck Tesla so much.

Never heard of any of that. Source?

It's this among many other reasons I'll be holding onto my older car as long as I can.

Here's hoping the hacker known as Holla Forums doesn't do anything.

a phone?

How about you just make getting a license more strict? Have refresher courses to renew that license more often?

Any scenario where the car takes control from the driver cannot provide fail-safe assurances. And if the car can't take control from the driver in response to stimuli received through this system, then the system has no point.

So much this.
The training requirements for a license in this country are a fucking joke.

Why change anything at all? The current situation is not so intolerable. Who stays up late at night worrying about traffic safety?

Don't fall for the traditional anti-gun rhetoric of "something must be done" and "even a single life!" Resist all attempts to sanitize this country. It's already too safe, too few stupid people die every year.

Furthermore, the real problem is illegals who aren't licensed to drive in the first place.

That's racist.
scpr.org/blogs/multiamerican/2015/01/06/17767/calif-dmv-immigrants-drivers-license-AB60/

Us if it means we get to shut down liberal flop houses

RIGHT WING SAFETY SQUADS

I don't think any of us are actually concerned about the fire safety of leftist scum. It's just a convenient excuse to shut their hives down. Car safety though? It's a manufactured issue. Nobody cares about this shit until the media tells them that they should care.

the only people who want and will use such vehicles are those very same leftists. Imagine the fun we will have staying up late making these fucks get into fender benders that insurance will deem their fault.

Imagine how fun it will be making their premiums go through the roof until their insurance is eventually revoked and their licenses suspended.

Imagine how fun it will be making their lives a living hell.

Imagine how fun it will be forcing their vehicles to pull into a parking lot and position all of them so the cars spell out MAGA and then force the cars into park and rev the engines til they throw a rod or and sieze.

IMAGINE THE OVERWHELMING JOY OF TAKING THEM ON MR BONES WILD RIDE THROUGH THE GHETTO WHILE BLARING MOONMAN THROUGH THEIR SPEAKERS

this would also make it conveniently easy to track you. Holla Forums must stop this

I've played Battle Network.

The Internet of Things is such a horrible idea that you can make a game for children about it and the message comes through flawlessly. The first stage of the first game is rooting out a virus that is causing your natural-gas stove to behave erratically and vent its fuel as fast as it can, setting your kitchen on fire. As early as the second game, you've graduated to stopping terrorists from remotely hijacking airliners. This will become increasingly true as more infrastructural things are moved online.

I thought pretty much all new cars already had the ability to be tracked. For "anti-theft" purposes of course.

Can't have you stealing "your" car from the creditors

anyone else having trouble posting?

Consider this:
What happened?

Yeah. I don't know about that. Seems way over-engineered.

However, I've heard a long time ago about a simple idea: Put a magnet and a magnetic sensor in each car and have it slow down whenever it detects it's moving too fast and close toward another car. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

What do you guys think?

see >>>/sudo/16429

I bet the person (((who))) thought this was a good idea also thinks transportation ought to be centrally managed and the data (((scientists))) to be in charge of such a system need metrics to understand every driver's behavoir and habits (i.e. where they travel to.)

I can imagine it.

More mandotory electronic that consumer dont need and dont want, to make cars more expensive and cement market so they dont need compete with new, small companies. And now stupid goyim will be traced anywhere they go.

If you told men in 19th century he need goverment issued license to ride he would tought you are wacko

Most people bring up the whole get assasinated meme but don't forget, you could utilize these 'features' to kill people outside of the car. You drove through a stop sign and splatted someone? Can you prove it was a technical error on the part of the car? Two birds one stone. Put someone in jail and splat a dissident.

Man, it's almost like the DOT and EPA want to make sure the goyim can only use sardine can public transport.

Oy vey goyim, nothing to worry about.

More like ability to talk to authorities.

user…

We're going to have both oil and battery production in the USA, and electric cars will be a USA meme

Maybe I sound like an oldfag, but why the fuck does a car need an internet connection? Whatever happened to the only worry being whether you had enough gas to drive home?

They already did it at least twice.

I'm aware, just saying we need to be on the lookout for outside parties getting injured. Look at what happened in france. What's to stop the DoD from hacking a car into a crowded area then crying terror attack?

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if there have been many 'accidents' where the driver walked away fine because they weren't the actual target. It would be a lot easier to hide that way.

I'm buying a fucking horse.

This is the consequence of that retarded idea of The Internet of Things.
Everything, for some reason, needs to have an internet connection. Coffee machines, lights, cars, sinks, my dick.
Have fun with hackers fucking with every aspect of your life.

Non-retarded manufacturers use separate buses for the entertainment and control systems. Having everything on one bus is asking for trouble.

I think you mean the Internet of Shit

Great, now we just need to program the cars to ride into nigs.

The question shouldn't be why it needs an internet connection, but rather why the computer that has wireless capabilities is also connected to steering and the brakes. Internet is just for muh features, which is fine, but that device should be physically disconnected from the rest of the car.

The "internet of things" should really be reformulated to the "intranet of things". Everything hard-wired, nothing with an internet connection. The adversary would have to have physical access to compromise anything. Of course, you won't be able to remote access your IoT dildo or car, but at least neither of them will be compromised and used to kill you.

Friendly reminder that if you have to have a wireless connection make sure you are updating your SID's at least weekly.

No, you don't need an Intranet of Things either. Your fucking door locks do not need an internet connection, your fucking power outlets do not need an internet connection. Your fucking toilet doesn't need an internet connection, wireless or wired.

Good, bad or we don't know yet?:

Trucking, Auto Industries Praise Elaine Chao Transportation Secretary Nomination

tru*cks.com/2016/11/29/trucking-industry-praises-elaine-chao-us-dot-choice/

>has Tesla executive in his cabinet

no, not part of his cabinet

Ah but see goy, the new ethanol fuels that we're making the only thing you can buy will ruin the fuel lines, guess you have no choice but to upgrade to our new Kosher models :^)

Ethanol does not degrade metal fuel lines and rubber lines are piss easy to replace, which should be done on most older vehicles with original rubber fuel lines anyway

Also most vehicles made since the mid 80s can safely use ~10-15% ethanol, the main issue with Ethanol is the lower energy density which requires you to burn more to achieve the same power as gasoline and lower MPGs with mixed blends, not to mention that gasoline is currently cheaper to produce which makes the use of Ethanol completely pointless.

This is why you drive a car pre-1993.

OBD-II systems were standardized/mandatory in 1996, not 1993. Only cars with CANBUS media systems that have wireless capabilities can be hacked remotely and older analog OnStar systems made before 2006 are disabled and incompatible with current cell towers, meaning most cars before 2006 are pretty secure.

There are also plenty of aftermarket ECU controllers such as Megasquirt or Haltech boxes that you can program yourself and completely bypass/replace the factory ECU and control systems. Not to mention a lot of higher end car models like the GM Corvette and Camaro have ECU systems that are designed to be user modifiable and have released tuning tools which you can use to modify or disable anything you want, although doing so voids the warranty.

I understand that being killed by a dildo is just like falling asleep.

electrek.co/2016/10/26/tesla-now-offers-almost-20000-in-software-upgradable-options-when-buying-a-vehicle/

FÜNFFACH

blame chodemonkey; I tried submitting the post earlier multiple times but it wouldn't go through

sorry for stealing quints from a worthier post

you missed the part where they want this to be mandatory.

I bet Russians are behind it.

So will this apply to kit cars?
They tend to have different standards.

Also doesthe USA have an equivalent to the single vehicle assessment?
Will it apply to those too?

not likely

Inspections vary wildly by state, some states have no inspection or emissions testing at all while others are very strict

FUCKING THIS

If you suck at riding you'll christopher reeve yourself
If you suck at driving you'll at best kill yourself when fucking up but it's far more likley that a few people will die with you

should mean automatic failure.

this