It keeps happening: Intel Broadwell and Haswell CPUs systems crashing after firmware update

newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-security-issue-update-addressing-reboot-issues/

Will the ride ever end?

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/windows-meltdown-spectre-update-now-some-amd-pc-owners-post-crash-reports/
press.f-secure.com/2018/01/12/intel-amt-security-issue-lets-attackers-bypass-login-credentials-in-corporate-laptops/
rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98763-AISuite-fails-to-start-after-Windows-update-KB4056892-(Intel-vulnerability-patch)
youtube.com/watch?v=LQmruYqBiQE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_mode
archive.fo/v6HA6
archive.fo/JFiJ7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"We have received reports from a few customers of higher system reboots after applying firmware updates. Specifically, these systems are running Intel Broadwell and Haswell CPUs for both client and data center. We are working quickly with these customers to understand, diagnose and address this reboot issue. If this requires a revised firmware update from Intel, we will distribute that update through the normal channels. We are also working directly with data center customers to discuss the issue."

microsoft also managed to fuck amd users with their meltdown mitigation

zdnet.com/article/windows-meltdown-spectre-update-now-some-amd-pc-owners-post-crash-reports/

x86 is so fucked.

is it because some bags of money changed some (((hands)))?

Is this the ultimate joojeet mutt breed?

Putting echos around an Intel CEO is a bit redundant, like writing (((jew))), (((merchant))), (((ADL))), (((AIPAC))), (((Israel))), (((Zionism))), ..., etc.

What a cohencidence...

x86 needs to die as fast as possible

First Ajit Pai, now this poo in the loo.

Not trying to be an Intel shill but I haven't had any issues.

And this is why you never trust intel and disable ME.

When intel, arm, AMD, and IBM have destroyed all CPU's made in the past 30 years and forced everyone to upgrade to always needing internet connection botnets.

JUST
press.f-secure.com/2018/01/12/intel-amt-security-issue-lets-attackers-bypass-login-credentials-in-corporate-laptops/

Updating is NEVER EVER NOT EVER the right answer.

F

Computing enlightenment achieved.

That update also fucked with the official software I use to manage my ASUS 1070
rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98763-AISuite-fails-to-start-after-Windows-update-KB4056892-(Intel-vulnerability-patch)

Seriously this is insane. It also coincides with, for me, severely degraded AWS.

LARPniggers need to die first. x86 will never die because ARM or PowerPC will never get an open platform standard. The only thing close to competing is ARM, and they perform significantly less than x86 because if ARM ever did want to match x86s single percussion instructions per cycle they'd need to basically turn ARM into x86. POWERPC is pretty much in limbo right now too because nobody is taking it seriously anymore. Game consoles stopped using it and so did supercomputers so it's only market penetration now is freetard laptops and an overwhelming minority of servers.

These bugs aren't going to hurt x86 either. If anything companies will just move to AMD Threadripper/Epyc because it would have 0 impact on software compatibility and minimal damage to company workflow which would otherwise have a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars that frankly is not worth it whatsoever

And when (((somebody))) starts using a version of specter designed for AMD x86 cpu's? What about the heat death of x86 that intel had just recently hit where performance gains are not possible without sacrificing something else? What about all the energy loss that x86 proccessors use supporting things like the original 8086 ISA still? What about the insecurity of the whole design of things like intel ME and amd PSP? The x86 architecture needs to be put out of it's misery and destroyed already. But not replaced with ARM or powerPC, but with something like RISC V or a better version of Itanium.

1.) Intel Atoms exist

2.) In your twisted LARP mind that's a problem, but in reality where a company could be running software 20 years old or more that's sort of the entire point
They'll just move to AMD like I said, you know, where Spectre is not nearly as impactful as meltdown. Alternatively Intel is going to Jew out on some upgrade program if AMD doesn't first where companies can swap their old shit for Intels newer microarchs that fix Meltdown at a discount so Intel can re-sell the old shit to Africans or something

Hey Pajeet, what's this even mean?

No tell me, what's it mean?

ARM/PowerPC do not have an "IBM PC Compatible" equivalent. And nobody is interested on making it happen. ARM is market-relegated to walled-gardens. Even the shit ARM has like U-Boot is I would say not equivalent whatsoever and would be a misnomer to call it the same thing as a standard BIOS

You are the cancer that is kill computing. Fuck backwards compatibility with the IBM PC, of which was announced intel will kill off in 2018 by making UEFI no longer support CSM compatibility mode. Thereby making the x86 proccessing architecture intert as it will break compatibility.

Have YOU used an Intel Atom recently? They have comparable TDP to ARM and can do shit like vid related
youtube.com/watch?v=LQmruYqBiQE
Your assertions are based on conjecture so it's not easy to answer this without saying "You're dead wrong about x86s thermal design as an overall issue"
Your shit opinion has been noted you LARPnigger
You're retarded. This wont break compatibility with older software, just older bootloaders. You can still use shit like FreeDos (which most computers that require DOS compaitility should already be using in 2018) Besides, there's no word yet on if AMD will decide to end old BIOS support

No one NEEEDS a real computer anyways, now that Facebook Portal and other assistants like Siri and Alexa are here. Now we can connect, share, learn and grow together using Machine Learning intelligence which benefits ALL of us. I mean seriously, other than browsing your news feed and connecting with friends what do you actually "compute"? All the complicated stuff is done for us anyways and we just search it. Like you may need to write some cool algorithm but now we can just execute javascript in the cloud which is neat. So yeah, like we really just need to rethink this computer thing and move to more lower energy, greener chips that can connect us to the Internet of Things that'll be here tomorrow. Our data follows us around wherever we go so as long as the security is down at the cloud level I don't think we need to worry so much about intel security, since not much of our data is going to be stored locally anyways. Hopefully this intel hiccup can be a teachable moment in moving us to forward thinking computing rather than the decades old paradigm of yesterday.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_mode
What are you even trying to say? This was x86 relative to ARM in terms of TDP. Which x86 proves it can match because of existing scaling
Because its not a complete instruction set you fucking idiot. Why would you want too? There's a reason only x86 instructions are exposed to the programmer. Its not smoke and mirrors

It is smoke and mirrors if you can't fully control the hardware.
unreal_mode archive.fo/v6HA6
>protected mode archive.fo/JFiJ7
For the most part, the binary compatibility with real-mode code, the ability to access up to 16 MB of physical memory, and 1 GB of virtual memory, were the most apparent changes to application programmers.[25] This was not without its limitations. If an application utilized or relied on any of the techniques below, it wouldn't run:[26] Segment arithmetic Privileged instructions Direct hardware access Writing to a code segment Executing data Overlapping segments Use of BIOS functions, due to the BIOS interrupts being reserved by Intel[27]In reality, almost all DOS application programs violated these rules.[28] Due to these limitations, virtual 8086 mode was introduced with the 386. Despite such potential setbacks, Windows 3.0 and its successors can take advantage of the binary compatibility with real mode to run many Windows 2.x (Windows 2.0 and Windows 2.1x) applications, which run in real mode in Windows 2.x, in protected mode.[29]
Fucking kys.

The execution core of modern x86 processors is "RISC-Like" not full-on RISC. Its just a rudimentary interface for exposing x86 instructions in such a way to maintain compatibility

The last bit was actually a tad interesting too me, since I understand you can use protected mode from UEFI-based systems to jump to real mode. But I'm not sure how well compatibility will be maintained without BIOS interrupts regardless. But since a massive chunk of x86 shit is still using 32-bit OS' I would like to see how the fuck Intel plans on tackling that

WTF did I just read?!
This is Holla Forums. We know "complicated stuff". We are the ones who do "complicated stuff" for (you).
Go >>>/back/

stop giving (((them))) ideas

=gas=

That's the future, wether you like it or not.
These security considerations won't lead to better platforms but to more locked down ones, and our hopes and dreams of software freedom will die with x86.

Not possible. The architecture has been fucked since the beginning. The only way to make it better is to make it more like x86.
Which includes specexec, you know. So you either have expensive underperforming shit or an expensive hipster x86.

Ok fellow intel engineer. We must protect x86

Retard, Intel is why computers are shit since the mid 90's. Before that you at least had actual choice to buy other architecture like m68k. Hell, even a Z80 worked fine for most tasks like word-processing, spreadsheets, and connecting to your Internet shell account. Since then everyone jumps on Wintel botnet and bloats the fuck out of every OS (even Linux) and does the Web 2.0 dingleberry jingle-jangle while wearing a shit-eating grin. FUCK INTEL!

Yes we all get it you're a LARPer who thinks they know about computers

What we really need are more than just 2 companies making IBM compatible PCs. We need more companies upholding standards, not more companies making more useless standards

bitcoinfags btfo
how many $500 radeon's are going to go up in smoke in the middle of the night. they might even start a fire and burn goyim's house down.

I'm not arguing for the current botnet, but companies will jump on the chance to sell locked-down drm-laden remotely backdoored ARM chips that disallow execution of non-kosher code.

isn't it possible to make the execution planning a compiler's problem? where the CPU doesn't need to do a whole lot of thinking and parallelization of code is done by compiler

yes, i think gcc implemented that

Optimizing code for VLIW µarchs isn't a trivial problem.

You know that's the worst part about all of this. These awful botnet backdoors are causing hardware to look like swiss cheese with security, but never in 10,000 years will the answer be "remove the botnet backdoors". It's going to be

I don't think you can buy a Radeon 1070

That's exactly what the Itanium architecture was about. And it failed.
You can do *some* optimizations with a smart compiler, but it's not magical pixie dust and can't to everything.

are you a special kind of retard?

Just to trick retards into thinking AMD has a problem too. Fuck [ms]'s bs

Explain to me how government oversight in our lives fails to keep us safer? If you want freedom, then you have to give up a bit of privacy. Freedom isn't free. I wish the government would monitor me 24/7, it would help me become a more productive person.

What man needs is a strict libre motherboard/bus standard.
Manufacturer/architecture independent CPU sockets, free and open source firmware+microcode, and remote access to hardware being physically disabled in standby modo.
Has this ever been attempted?

This.
OPEN AND RESPECTED industry standards are backbone of usability and security of the product. They allow to grow smaller companies and help maintain healthy competition across the whole market.
And that's why kikes despise them so much.

They could have predicted this would happen, but they had to disable that in the last microcode update.

To exploit this, all an attacker needs to do is reboot or power up the target machine and press CTRL-P during bootup.

can we use this to flash CFW?

NO! BAD GOY!

Read the very next line. It requires the machine to have the default password. That isn't an issue on Intel's end other than this feature existing at all being an issue, obviously, it's an issue with whoever owns the laptop being retarded and not even changing the password.

Up until today I never even knew such a "feature" existed nor needed to have a password set in the first place, nor that the way to access it was to press Ctrl+P on boot.

No, because AMT isn't about flashing anything, you fucking retard.

That was likely a joke post.

You're not trying not to be an Intel shill either you obvious Intel shill.

that's shitty talk, what's it mean? more frequent? smoked weed and then rebooted?

"higher" reboots indeed

Yes goyim, being able to run previously purchased software with better performance is bad. You need to buy new software for each new computer goy.

>because I can't see an alternative to x86 right now, you just need to die
t. CEO of (((Intel)))

WEW LAD!

Yeah, that's not always practical. Plus, the longer an architecture is around the better documented it tends to be. That's fairly important for being able to develop good software.

do u even install gentoo nigger

That's your own fault for using proprietary software.

You can spend time upgrading the machine but can't spend time compiling the software you need for your upgraded machine?

Intelspeak for "crashing". Yes, they mean the computer crashes more often. lol it's just unplanned reboots goy.

ReactOS is getting there so you should be able to jump in a few versions

Wew, all XP users migrating to react OS confirmed