Kept himself in shape to use himself as a model

They don't make 'em like they used to.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/SXUeA
8ch.net/loomis/hub.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm talking about Frank Franzetta.
Though if you don't know that, I am disappointed in you.

For a second I thought that might've been Chaykin, but yeah.

Stay butthurt that world doesn't need you anymore. If you can't enjoy Lumberjanes, you're a bitter loser and we're better off without neckbeards like you in the industry.

Don't remind me these people exist, user.
I found out there's this whole controversy because Shea Moisture (hair product company) dared to have a couple white people in an ad.
I'm so tired, user. I'm so tired.

Not the user you were talking to but if it bothers you so much then ignore it. You'll feel better.

Hey Holla Forums

If it makes you feel better I could storytime a neat painted comic.

Do it

Aight.

For those who don't know about Moorcock's Eternal Champion cycle, don't worry, it wouldn't make it much less confusing if you were.
Also the panel composition in these spreads is pretty neat.

Holy shit, I haven't storytimed since I was on halfchan, this is so much easier.

And that's the end. For those of you who don't want to read a ton of slightly connected novels but want to know what happens to Erekose: He never finds his waifu, he just keeps dealing with civilizations run by decadent psychopaths over and over until he gets front row seats to a multiversal apocalypse.

wow, that sucks

also this looks like old monkey island art in the last pages

example

And the fucked up thing is he STILL has it better than Elric.

In the process of finding this I rediscovered some other cool shit.

Man back in the day Moorcock got some top tier artists to adapt his stuff. Might start a thread tomorrow and storytime the P. Craig Russel ones.

Also sorry if I'm derailing this thread OP.

Jim Steranko and Jack Kirby were also certified badasses.
Steranko was an escape artist and lion tamer, and once punched Bob Kane out.
Jack was a combat scout in WW2, and would crawl past the front line and sketch enemy positions.

Why is Burt Lancaster in a comic?

He had a pretty good agent back then.

You'd be surprised just how much learning to draw tits can inspire a person to git gud at art.

I think you are nitpiking a lot with your pictures, OP. There were a lot of shitty artists and lame comic books back in the day, as well.

oh my god,
this is it ladies and gentlemen
The ultimate bait

got a source on the Steranko, Bob Kane thing, or the sketching enemy lines story?
I can believe all the stuff about Steranko. he's pretty much a superhero himself.
I think Kirby even based Mister Miracle off him

Also Tom King has most probably shot men before throwing them out of planes

Steranko himself

Here you go:
archive.fo/SXUeA

Jack Kirby also didn't take shit from anyone, including mafia goons.

That may be so, but there aren't any certified badasses anymore. It's all a sea of filth. That is the problem.

She's really quite average, he said what made him marry her was she didn't seem likely to cut and run (ie wasn't a whore or capricious)

She was also essentially his manager. A really good one. I also think you're misinterpreting his words. It wasn't 'eh, she'll be loyal.'

The painting in OP was actually repainted after her death, with him trying to make the woman's face look more like her's.
She was apparently also chill with him drawing paintings of her nude, like pic related. That's her.

No it isn't. A lot of the old masters still draw.

Doesn't make 'they don't make 'em like they used to' any less true. Besides, how many old masters are still drawing? Not only are comic companies not bothering to hire them because they'd rather hire some shit 23-year-old hipster for fucking pennies, but they're also old enough they're dying off or retiring.
What is your point, user?

The only master I can think of that gets work is Alex Ross and he mainly does covers nowadays.

What qualifies someone as a master? Ross isn't bad but he's only big because he's the only fucker left who paints.

I have no idea how some people are able to fight off laziness and actually do shit. All I do every day is play videogames, jerk off and shitpost. It's not a happy life but mustering the energy to get up and take a piss is almost beyond me.

Most people who do lots of things either grew up before social media or grew up somewhere where it was very limited or unavailable.

I never said that it didn't. I was responding to the 'there aren't any certified badasses anymore' notion.
It depends on who you would consider an 'old master'. Off the top of my head, Walt Simonson still draws
The big two aren't the only game in town. Many of them publish independent comics
What's yours?

I dont use social media at all.

This IS social media. It's just not shitty normalfag social media.

Independent comics are shit like Princeless and Power Up. If you're lucky there's stuff like Snot Girl. Unless you're in Europe, even independent comics are 'meh, okay' at best.
I wouldn't even call Walt Simonson a master. He can draw, sure, but it's not something like Frazetta. Compare the two.
What would even make him a certified badass?

There was another artist who had that Conan the Barbarian style, used to get dumped on old /tg/ all the time.

Barry Windsor Smith?

Most of everything is almost always shit. Thing is, good self-published books outclass good Big Two books. They are slightly more common too. It's been a decade since Marvel released a book that was on the same level as American Alien, Chew, or Locke and Key. DC only had Vertigo going for it, but they fucked that up too.

How about you storytime that stuff, then, user?
Also, this still has nothing about making artists like they used to. Something tells me none of the artists of those comics are half as badass as Franzetta was.

I story time one decent non-big two comic about once a month. My original plan for May was to storytime new issue of Ekho (as well as past ones), but for some reason translation to English is taking Soleil over a month now. Currently I am looking for something new instead.

That was a really good story. Not the guy who requested it, but thanks for posting that.

Too true. I personally consider Social Media to be the greatest bane of our generation as it allows people to escape the rigors of real life and retreat into a safe echo chamber where they have nothing to fear. This goes for the 'super successful' people on FB as well. Take a look at the average upcoming lawyer and engineer and think.

They're trying to show off on a website to people they barely know or haven't seen in years. That's not a sign of high self-esteem,that's a sign of someone seeking validation from their peers.

Also, I miss classic fantasy.

Is there anyone working on translating the original Dylan Dog comics?

Epicenter Comics was going to translate and publish the books, but so far they only put out Mater Morbi last summer. Hopefully they won't die and will put out more stuff. For some reason they don't have anything available on comixology, which is an easy way to get some extra sales. Besides that, there is Complete Case Files from Dark Horse. It's been out of print for years, but you can get a used copy.
Occasionally there are scanlations put out, but I just seek them out once in a while and don't follow nor am aware of any committed fan translation efforts.

American comics industry is just bizzare. Big names in American comics barely do anything to bring good foreign stuff into the spotlight, and they don't reference any foreign stuff in interviews or their work. Rare mention or reference to Akira or Moebius is the best that you can expect. It's not like that in other creative industries, both American and foreign ones. Say what you want about Hollywood, but at least few big directors and people from industry bring/invite foreign stuff to festivals, seek out and re-release good old films that have gone under the radar, and even give awards to foreign stuff.

It's because the comic industry here is dying, and as a part of that it's becoming insular as fuck. Back in the 70s and 80s you'd at least get people talking about manga or some random French/Italian shit, now you're lucky if anyone in the industry has read shit outside of the Big Two and Image.

This is how it is everywhere here, user. Not just with comics. We like to pretend we're the only country on Earth that puts out anything worthwhile. We ignore foreign films, animation, shows, comics, books, everything. We tune it out. How else are we going to keep the narrative 'America is the best nation on Earth' alive? If we paid attention to foreign stuff, we'd realize how grossly inadequate we are in comparison.

Where do you think you are dude? Shit like this is why anons are becoming hostile to /a/ content. The majority of foreign content is usually just as shit too.

Are we talking compare to current American comics? Because no it's not. The majority is mediocre crap everywhere, but right now ours' are like 98% mediocre crap as opposed to 90% most other places, and combined with how small ours Industry and output is by comparison that leaves very little worth reading. This is almost entirely because of the industry dying and making the community of writers and artists insular as fuck between the main 4 publishers though, rather than because we inherently suck at comics or anything like that. Historically we've produced a few of the greatest/most influential cartoonists of all time.

Not really. Average foreign comic tends to be better than an average American comic. Art is probably the most obvious aspect where stark difference in quality can be seen.

Yeah but that's because there's a larger market for releasing stuff as trades like once a year as opposed to having to do monthly floppies. Also aren't Disney Duck comics technically the biggest thing in Euro comics?

Yeah, user clearly doesn't really do European comics.
Their average comic is better than the best comic we have. Europeans are better at philosophy and deep meanings in their art and writing. Comics or otherwise. Americans always come off either black and white or too goddamn edgy.

Them's fighting words son.

Do you read European comics, user?
Because you sound like someone that doesn't read European comics.
Our best (and I'm talking what's mostly agreed upon, not what you happen to like) is edgy shit like Watchmen.
The problem gets more pronounced when you decide to just compare the modern stuff.

So just what's popular then? That's kind of a bullshit standard. We have plenty of comics that'd be better than the average Euro comic, probably by your own standards that you're ruling out with this.
If you think what makes Watchmen important is the edgy capes then you're missing the actual relevance of Watchmen, that said it's a fine story and dismissing it with 'edgy' is also bullshit.

user in obviously went overboard, but he has a point when it comes to pointless edginess. Watchmen is great, but let's just take a look at widely acclaimed series.
Take Sandman for instance. It is an acclaimed book by both "critics" and regular readers. Despite trying to be more ambitious than an average comic, it still has plenty of needless edginess that would fit right in Crossed. Off the top of my head, at one point Cain literally grinds Abel into sausages.
Another example is Saga. Most of nudity and violence in there is just used for shock value and not much else. Same goes for Preacher. In the end it just feels cheap.

There is no doubt about that. However, standards are higher outside of the U.S. When Americans create a book about girls fighting monsters you get Lumberjanes, but when French an Italians do it you end up with Witch. Latter blows the former out of the water on all fronts. And yet, Lumberjanes is showered with paraise and awards. Why does that happen? Why are American Disney books are not as good as European ones?
In defense of modern American comics, they generally tend to have a bit better grasp on horror than foreign stuff.

Oh, definitely. I was just calling that guy on being so hyperbolic because, well really I thought he was a troll and I just do that when I'm bored sometimes.
Honestly the only thing I'd say American comics do have the edge over Euro comics in is progress and experimentation in panel composition. Euro comic artists are generally just better artists, but we have far more artists pushing and experimenting with the nature of the medium itself.

Also I always saw the Cain and Abel stuff in Sandman as trying to be almost cartoonish, but there was some needless edge in Sandman. Mainly a lot of the shit in the Cuckoo arc that seemed unnecessary in light of the payoff. Also how Gaiman keeps playing up the magnitude of the endless, it felt kind of dumb and pretentious after a while. I get it Neil, The Endless are hot shit.

A shame where that beautiful natural maiden image is no longer strived for design wise, now we're seeing these shaved headed sassy whores and dyed hair having daddy issue ridden weirdos
Unfortunate really, older style looks so interesting, lumberjanes looks like a preteen girls book that was donated to the school library

Is the Dark Horse Case Files a good translation?

Frazetta is a big inspiration. I made this drawing challenge last year based on one of his famous boasts-and of course because I made it I had to go through with it. It was very exhausting (I drew for around 16 hours straight with only a few interruptions) but pretty cool. Of course doing something like that won't make you a pro after the fact but it was interesting to live what amounted to just another day in the life of an absolute madman®.

I'm tempted to go through with it but I feel like my hands would fall off afterwards.

interesting

If I can do it you can do it, user.

I think the most important thing about it isn't that it will instantly turn you into a pro, but at least for me it was very liberating psychologically. It will show what you can do in one single day if you just try-even if the drawings themselves don't look great (not that Bridgman's often inscrutable sketches are the height of draftsmanship in either case).

8ch.net/loomis/hub.html

Thanks man.
I feel like this is something that could be done several times to imprint the designs/schemes/notions into one's mind.

What experimental artists do we have? American comics have the most boring use of composition, with Japan being on top in that regard. Give me examples, user. Because I don't believe you.

wow what a hero

I could only compare it to Polish and Serbian translations, since I don't speak Italian. It is as good as the other too. Only major gripe is that Groucho is changed to Felix and has his mustache removed, because of the American copyright laws.

There is a rare attempt at something interesting once in a while, but results are mixed. 2011 Marvel books like Daredevil, Moon Knight, and Hawkeye occasionally had something original.

Japan isn't more experimental, it's just that a generic manga panel composition is far better than a generic American one. You get stuff like Ultra Heaven in Japan every now and then, but for the most part they have their styles they stick to as well.

That's kind of fucked up. Cerebus never had legal issues with that, why would Dylan Dog?

I never said Japan is more experimental, I said that Japan is better than America in terms of composition. Other than those two examples, the average American comic is bland and often hard to read, because American comic artists seem to think that a comic is just a picture with words over it. It's often also coupled with long-winded descriptions of stuff, because the writer's can't seem to understand that comics are a visual medium, and the entire point of a graphic novel/comic is so they don't have to describe things like they would in a book, and they often cover way too much ground way too fast.

Oh, well then you're definitely right, especially when it comes to action.
In terms of experimentation on America's side though, most of it is based around the larger tradition of translating cinematic techniques like Eisner started, and then people like Gene Day expanded upon, but outside that there's stuff like Cerebus the Aardvark which tries anything and everything, and I just realized everything else I was thinking of is technically British. Does British stuff count as American yet?
Other than that there's Usagi Yojimbo, it seems pretty simple, and it's not blatantly experimental or out there, but the panel composition is fantastic, and his methods show real progress into exploiting what makes comics unique rather than just aping cinematography. It's intuitive and seems basic, but if you actually dissect a lot of the stuff Stan Sakai does you realize it wouldn't work(or at least wouldn't work as well) in anything besides comics.

And here's some Japanese examples to compare. Things happen much more emphasis is put on small reactions, and it feels much more natural. It's one of those things where, when done well, you don't even notice it. The only Japanese comic I can think of at the moment with plan, flat terrible composition is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure– and I don't think it's a mistake that Araki is so influenced by American stuff in his comics. I think his shit-tier composition just comes from that.

Usagi Yojimbo is likely heavily influenced by manga, that's probably why it's so good.

You'd think so, but it doesn't seem to be. At least not anything modern, maybe Lone Wolf and Cub and some older, pre-Tezuka manga. It lacks action lines and doesn't use panels to emphasize minor motions, but that's because it doesn't put too much detail into its action. It's layouts are pretty basic and blocky, but it uses that basic style in an extremely efficient manner.

Well considering the reference to it through Lone Goat and Kid, I'd expect so.
Looking at it, it seems to have a lot more in common with manga than with American comics. There's stuff here and there that reminds me of Peanuts or Calvin and Hobbes, but Japan has similar manga, too.
Pics related– comparing Usagi Yojimbo to Calvin and Hobbes to Toriyama Akira's Cowa!
And a bonus page that's far closer to manga and less similar to the blocky comics you're mentioning.

Huh, you're right, I guess I was focusing more on one particular style of manga. Come to think of it, there's a lot of stuff in Cerebus like that bonus page. By the way, is Cowa worth reading? I read the first few chapters in Viz Jump like 10 years ago and never looked into it.

Yea, Cowa's really good. It started out as something relaxing for Toriyama to do after finishing Dragon Ball finally, so it feels very childish at first. Like really childish, for 5-year-olds. But then it gets rolling when they meet with an ex-Sumo wrestler. The story is heartfelt and cute. It's not like it's something that's super popular and should win awards or anything, but it's cute once the story starts catching up. Might even cry, if you're a softie.

Yet another thread hijacked by the /a/ poster.

>>>/a/

Why is this board so obsessed with lolcows? There's people constantly making accusations based on vague shit, in addition to people who literally stalk lolcows across websites just to bait them into derailing threads.

I know this faggot has probably never fired a gun before, but would it kill him to google it?

Copyright. Comic book industry tends to be a bit more lax than Hollywood when it comes to it. Translators are just trying to avoid potential lawsuits.

What is going on there? I understand that Goku hits his opponent, sending him back a bit. How about the rest, specifically what are kids dodging?

I can get changing the name, but altering the art is fucked up, especially since I'm pretty sure it was unnecessary.
Everyone else is just reacting to how easily Gohan wrecked Buu. The kids were in the middle of a fusion dance, so they look like they're dodging but they're actually just posing.

Groucho Marx is a special case. His likeness is probably copyrighted too, and whoever holds rights most likely makes money off of every pair of Groucho Marx glasses. Even if it wasn't, comic companies like Epicenter or even Dark Horse are small fires compared to Hollywood studios. They would surely lose the lawsuit and would likely be wiped off the map. They are just playing it as safe as possible.

Thank you, that explains it. Maybe it's just me, but sometimes manga is no better than American comics when it comes to the action scenes. Shonen stuff especially. Panels full of indistinguishable smudges are the worst.

I'm pretty sure his likeness isn't copyrighted, and that there are tons of generic brand Groucho glasses that exist without any legal issues. Cerebus the Aardvaark had a character that was literally just Groucho Marx for like 24 years and Dave Sim never got into trouble.

And Master Of Kung Fu had "Rufus T. Hackstabber", who showed up in the Defenders, too. The Southern Squadron had all three Marx Brothers show up as bank robbers…
Usually this kind of thing isn't a problem unless they give them their own book.

Maybe you're just not used to manga? I don't really understand how you could have thought that those panels were anything but just the characters reacting.
Toriyama's one of the best at composition, especially for action scenes. Here, I'll throw some more of his stuff at you, if only to piss off the user who keeps bitching about /a/.

Well, in that case it is retarded of them to be afraid of legal repercussions.

Well, Groucho has some of his own books, so maybe that's why Dark Horse was afraid. Although, if they would not translate them there should not be a problem.

My experience with it is pretty limited compared to American and European comics. I got a bit lost in some of the initial chapters of Berserk and One Piece, but never had issues with Lone Wolf and the Cub, OPM redraw, Soul Eater, etc. The ones you just posted are clear too. It must just be too many smudges and action lines causing confusion, since they are not seen that often outside of manga.
In case of the first DB page I just wasn't sure whether they are dodging something, reacting, or maybe got interrupted.

what is going on in that last page?

I'm sure he wouldn't have that problem if they were in color.

From what I know of Punpun I'd say he's about to have miserable sex with that girl.

The bird thing is Punpun (the main character)'s uncle. The girl is a girl he was fooling around with that he met in an art class that, iirc, he taught. He's trying to tell her to move on with her life because he's a deadbeat loser and she's way too young for him.
I think she fucks teenage Punpun shortly after this.

I think coloring is too much of a crutch for a lot of American comic writers. It makes them focus too much on making a pretty picture without caring about composition or the simplicity of panels. It also makes it more expensive and take longer to shell out comics.
Though I don't know why you think color would make any of these less confusing? For that, you need to look at Jojo. Shit's all over the place. He was the worst in Part 5 with it, but it still shows through to Part 8. A lot of the time I can't read his shit unless it's colored.

I thought I was crazy for thinking that. I can't read JoJo at all because I have no idea what's going on during the fights. Baffled me how everyone was constantly singing its praises.

I couldn't buy comics much as a kid, since there's not really a market for them in my country. Instead, I read a lot of webcomics. Maybe I'm biased or something, but a lot of the art in Big 2 comics is just… worse than what some people are doing for free, at a much faster pace. Why can't major comics companies afford to hire better artists? Is there just no incentive to have better art? Do they not think that a better artist will sell more copies?

I guess I can see the logic of that, since they're mostly banking on nostalgia and cool story moments for their backbone franchises. And maybe truly good artists see working for them as a shitty deal - I mean, look at how much a terrible artist like handstab makes in a month from Patreon. I know my cousin makes bank off his art (as an "influencer," since he's got an instagram following, but his pieces sell for a song as well). So the only ones left in the field would actually be in it just for their love of the craft - and if that's the case, they might as well make their own comic, since distribution online is free and patronage is probably more reliable than salary tied to sales, given how much churn the industry has.

Don't you mean artists? Unless they color their work themselves, they might not have that much influence on how somebody else does it. Especially if the colorist is juggling several books at once (colorist page rates are shit).

"Better art" doesn't necessarily equal better sales. And being technically proficient at drawing is at odds with being able to quickly churn out several pages a month, a bigger concern to even the shittiest comic editor.

Understand that the creative talent for most Big 2 books aren't the primary attraction, as most readers will pick up headliners like Batman regardless of whether they know who the fuck Scott Snyder or Greg Capullo are. This even trickles down to the [American] indie scene where the buzz for some books is usually a reflection of whether their creative teams have an actual presence in the mainstream scene.

Handstab's webcomic predates Patreon by almost a decade and got in on the ground floor with a few other webcomics, so of course he's going to have his "fans" in spite of the quality of his work

Half of the comics I read growing up were black and white and never had problems. is right that too many artists in the U.S rely on colors as a crutch.

I would disagree when it comes to simplicity part. For example, Barbucci's drawings for Ekho are packed with detail, but perfectly clear even without shading or coloring.

I wonder why Blizzard haven't pulled dmca on this yet.

Because Blackwolf came before and this character was clearly inspired by him…?

Watchmen is an european comic made for americans. Britain is in Europe. The problem is that when you work for americans, they won't translate your works right away, they will ask you to do a Batman or a Spiderman.
Moebius' works got translated only after he did Silver Surfer. And only because he was Moebius.