8ch not utilizing infinity-next

files.catbox.moe/vwmec7.mp4

oh my fucking god

Other urls found in this thread:

206.223.147.214/cow/res/242183.html#q242929
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Josh is a worse programmer than Ron will ever be. I wouldn't touch Next with a 10-foot pole. Reminder Josh was the reason for 8chans database bugs in the early days. I don't care how polished the tweaked-out Florida trailer trash made Next on the surface, its probably a rats nest underneath, and I still have PTSD from when Josh went live with Next and the site DDOS'd itself in minutes

look man, nobody told Josh that this spit-and-twine operation was held together with vCPUs.
How are you going to run a site with vCPUs?
They're virtual. They're not real.

Cripple's captcha DDOS'd it. Technically Josh shouldn't have loaded it inline but it still wouldn't have been as bad if Cripple didn't loop through every pixel in the PHP interpreter.

No, he wasn't.
There was a statistics bug, not really a serious database bug, with a really easy fix, it was just shouted from the roof tops because cripple wanted to make josh look as bad as can be. The only database bug remnants were a result of the tinyboard ancestry where 1 board = 1 table.

Oh, I can tell you about INext. I ran that shit for about 5 months. I hate it so much. Josh may have had his best intentions when creating it, but the software made me want to neck myself.
PHP
First off, the language choice was a mistake. Josh thought that by using a common language like PHP, he could attract contributors. Well, Josh, that only fucking works if you're using raw HTML and not a framework that only some people use.
The PHP system is also a horrible mess. The config file (a config file for a programming language environment!) is versioned and it is separated for fpm, cli, and mod-php. There's so much shit you need to tweak in order to make PHP run like how $modern_lang runs OOTB.
Laravel
Laravel is the most ass-backwards framework I ever used.
etc. etc.
The caching system will store keys indefinitely by default. What this means is that eventually your cache will be full, and it will start evicting other apps' cached keys.
The Blade template system has fucking dumb quirks. For instance, sections will not get overwritten by for loops, which caused a bug where all action menus for attachments pointed to the first attachment's actions. This cost me 2 days and half my hair.
The routes don't check for overlap. There was a bug where the route for files overlapped those for file actions. When you visited an attachment moderation page it just gave you the attachment file.
Joshcode
Josh is not an adequate programmer. There're a lot of nonsensical stuff in INext.
The permissions system is a broken mess. There are some which you can't override, permissions get denied because it's Tuesday, and the roles page sometimes likes to explode. I could not fix it during our use of the software.
Fucking Josh. This made our server load go to 30 when Librechan first died. Every single file has to go through PHP to get the correct path. We mitigated it back then by using an nginx proxy cache which is a god-awful hack.
The captcha was bad. It also didn't have high entropy and didn't mangle/warp text (because enabling sine would get the server load up to quadratic tire fire levels), so we had lots of botspam.

There's a fuckton of stuff I don't remember that's in my IRC logs. I could try going through them and find the stupid shit in INext. Now, I do realize this comes off a bit hypocritical as Blazechan has problems of its own, but at least I listen to criticism instead of doing /ignore in IRC. Fuck.

infinity-next is infinity-nobodygivesashit until its tested again with massive load for months
last test failed with 8ch so spectacularly nobody wants to touch it again
i dont care who fucked up

That's no excuse, it's so fucking bloated, you should need 8 physical cores to run a fucking website with ten posters. He's a fucking clown.

Oic, josh is here. Hi josh. This is your thread isn't it. God damn josh, just fuck off.

Well meme'd.

It was tested with massive load without the captcha and it worked fine.

Fuck off, retard.

The only person who has any room to criticize Josh is right here, not retards who don't know what they're talking about.

I dunno, I installed 7.2 recently to play around with a cesspit of a forum I wrote in the mid-00s and never even had to look at the ini file. If you need to change the defaults then it's more likely the codebase you're using is fucked (which is the case here, no?)

Yeah like rewriting the entire webapp from scratch as a long-running coherent app server for starters. Nothing else in existence still uses this 90s-CGI model of setting up everything per request and tearing it down at the end erlang on xen doesn't count

Uh? That's not true.
set() and get() exist, if you want to code like a damn pajeet.
How is that a problem? Unless it's a hidden feature, you just set a duration for the cache.
Thats because you're talking about two minor versions that specifically have lots of changes between them - 5.3 introduced namespaces, which is the reason why nothing written for it will work on 5.2. Should it have been PHP 6 instead? Maybe. But the fact is, compatibility between 5.3+ versions is much better than 5.2 -> 5.3. Hell, I work with PHP 7.1 on my dev machine and deploy code to a PHP 5.6 environment, and found exactly ONE incompatibility: the behavior of array internal pointers on a foreach loop (which wouldn't have been a problem if the goddamn idiot who wrote the code didn't use the internal pointer to manipulate the array while looping through it, which makes no fucking sense).

I'll take your word for it being shit, because I skimmed through it and it looks adequate - but I'm sure the actual implementation is an unholy mess. Case in point:
This makes me kek to this day. How neither Josh nor Cripplekike thought that this would be a problem? Probably those two idiots were too high on their respective drugs to care.

What do you mean with that exactly?

Then Laravel is doing it wrong. What Django does is supplying *Field classes as class variables and then discovering them when generating migrations. Laravel makes you write your own migrations.
>set() and get() exist, if you want to code like a damn pajeet.
That's actually not what that's intended for. The way Laravel does it is more convoluted than it should be.

Example, you have to change 3 settings in unrelated parts of php.ini to change the max upload size, something that should be determined solely by your application.

I was talking about Laravel versions. Semantic versioning exists for a reason; you can guarantee that something will be able to work on all minor versions of a major version, forward-compatible. Backwards compatibility exists for a reason. Keep the breaking changes to Laravel 6. The Laravel 5.2 -> 5.3 update page is 20 foot long.

Josh made INext so that attachments would get a route like //file//name.jpg. The there is the database attachment ID(!), so everytime I request an attachment, it needs to go through a whole Laravel request cycle to give me the attachment. This made us hit 30 load average on the first Librechan exodus.
Blazechan fixes this by giving links of the form /.(file|thumb)/a6b7abda729.../thing.png, which gets internally converted in Nginx to $BLAZE_ROOT/storage/(file|thumb)/a/6/b/7/a6b7abda729....png. The extensions must match, but the filename can be anything you want.

This board was doomed from the start.

enjoy writing 120 pages of error checking

Daily reminder internet tough guy Josh hid in the bathroom while his mom dealt with the unexpected visit of one of the trannies he makes fun of in his forums

literally? suace please

Daily reminder hotwheelz is rolling in passable ladyboys after selling an exotic PHP text2text board to a burnout sysadmin

Why would Hotwheels want to discredit Josh? He already gave him every cent of the money and paid his expenses far beyond the original intent.
The software wasn't used because it was garbage.

Go to bed, Josh.

(checked)
His only escape is to jump into the pig-pen.

the thread is long gone, the only thing I could find are these posts

206.223.147.214/cow/res/242183.html#q242929

>>>/cow/288843

That's a given. Laravel does A LOT of things wrong for the sake of "simplicity".

It's a fitting punishment for having sold us out to Jim "The Mason Kike" Watkins.

What exactly did he "sold out"?

He didn't "sell out" exactly but his admin rights were revoked by Jim/Codemonkey. I may have played a part in that, indirectly, since I was the creator of the first "KRIPPLEKIKE FIX YOUR SHIT" thread here. #;UUameFW if I remember right.

His "selling out" resulted in a largely more responsive administration team, returning contact from administration at all because we keep conveniently forgetting that Hotwheels' reign was largely characterized by apathy and complete radio silence, and vastly, vastly better coding than Josh Moon's in spite of Codemonkey's oft-simplistic or room-for-improvement fixes. There's plenty of complaints about his coding in general but he actually speaks like a programmer instead of Josh's fumbling around and insisting PHP was the place to be.

infinity-next is shit and will always be shit. 8chans engine is never going to be updated to anything better anyways, best bet is to jump ship off this shit site once other sites get a more acceptable population.

Josh didn't even know what recursion or time complexity were. He probably still doesn't.