Bought an old Optiplex business computer from 2011 for just 85 dollars. Slapped a GPU and some more ram in it...

Bought an old Optiplex business computer from 2011 for just 85 dollars. Slapped a GPU and some more ram in it. Now i have a comfy gaming machine.

Anybody else do something this comfy this holiday season?

I'm probably going to use some packaging tape to secure a new 3tb WD blue I got into my computer.

why not double sided tape?

yeah get that double sided sticky tape man

also
>>>Holla Forums

Get a mounting bracket or an enclosure for the empty 5ΒΌ" slot, if OP's pic is related.

lol

Build a Ryzen 5 1600x based system in a sound-damping case with FDB fans that have silicone pads and rubber screws to mount to the case with. Cougar > Noctua Even when the fans are at 100% it's still relatively quiet, and the ASUS GPU I got can slave PWM fans to it so that they only spin up when they are needed. The GPU fans themselves stay off when passive cooling is adequate, so they are all currently off, one of the the intake FDB fans that's slaved to it is only running at 40% speed, and in a dead silent blacked-out room with windows that are closed and covered with sound damping foam and blackout curtains in front of that, the computer is STILL quiet.

I think I may actually slave both of my intakes and exhaust fan to the GPU because it works so well. Sucks my cable management was already done, but I think it would be worth it. I'm concerned that the 12CM exhaust fan isn't able to move enough of the air out that the two 14CM fans bring in. I want positive air pressure to help prevent dust, but I might have too much.

Either way, it is top comf for emulation and browsetry.

sounds nice user. i want to build a ryzen 5 or 7 in a quiet case like a fractal design r5 but i cant be assed because of ram prices and gpu prices plus bills take priority since my current rig works fine

R5s was the only other serious contender for a case I had, but the carbide 330r, a case I've built in before, won out again because of the front, but not top USB ports and buttons don't want dust in my USB ports, the 3 5.25" bays I use a 5.25" to 3.5 and 2.5 hdd adapter and prefer a bay's worth of open space above them for cooling purposes and the dust filter being much easier to clean. Aesthetically, I also prefer the 330r, especially with its much more muted front power/indicator LEDs, but now that I'm reading up on the R5 again and see that it comes with rubber grommets for the hdds, I'm wishing I had some of those, because I have 3 7200RPM HDDs spinning really quiet NAS drives, but still and they are by far the loudest thing in the computer, though still mostly inaudible, until those heads start clacking when I'm doing a big transfer or running backups.

also samsung said they were ramping up production on the next gen ddr4 modules, I guess apparently that has been taking up a lot of their resources for production, so hopefully this drought is short-lived. I was just so sick and tired of waiting, I overpaid for both ram and GPU. With the black friday sales I got it helped soften the blow, but yeah, I hope your computer is more recent than 2010. I was struggling to emulate and stuff like that with my previous.

Was about to say the same thing, then I realized 2011 was 7 years ago

Who are you quoting?

Good on you m8. I paid $175 for 16GB of 3200Mhz 14-14-14-34 FlareX and consider that getting a good deal, comparatively. Just fucked.

What processor OP? Those quad core xeons still hold up. I'm seeing something similar for $100, and I'm seeing a gtx 660 for $30 on Craigslist. I'm thinking of putting two and two together and giving it to my sister

not really Holla Forums, but I've been making a kotatsu for some fireplace comfy posting.

going to build a pantorouter after that to rebuild the frame with mortise and tenon joints.

its a 2nd generation i5 processor.

actually you will need to replace the power supply in this case. I did a lot of research before hand and got a GPU that is powered by the motherboard. Just make sure you realize you will need a 6 pin power cord for that GPU

in that case i might just go with a new gtx 1030

I've been buying up old Thinkpads, I have about ten T60s and T60ps and it's a comfy feel. I also have a half dozen of the number series, just about to put OpenBSD on one of 'em for kicks.

Resurrected some old PowerPC hardware I forgot I trash-dove 10 years ago. Had a shattered LCD screen and bent body seams/edges, and I finally got around to removing the screen and reconfiguring OpenFirmware to use Stone_B (VGA out) instead of Stone_A (LCD screen) as the 'default' screen so Linux kernel would display. Perfect for being my ultra-paranoid encrypted Hardened Gentoo GNU/SELinux system for private information, [crypto] finances, journaling, etc.
I christened it "The Flying Toaster," because the screen was likely shattered by the thing being chucked at a wall.

Don't be a degenerate. Mine shitcoins with it to buy goodcoins!

very nice. needs a good cleanin though.

enjoy your botnet

Fuck me. Fuck.

Are you fucking stupid? I got a couple of the same thing for $10 each.

i dont have the resources to look into school surplus stores. I got mine on ebay and 85 includes the shipping of 15 bucks. I know people get ridiculous deals on computers like this

I just walked into Goodwill and they had about a dozen of them for $10 each. Also several pretty decent monitors for $10 each.

too much, but the case looks nice. is it quiet?

There's a hypothesis that Meltdown and Spectre have been revealed to put an end to this. Everyone will have to pay out of their asses to drop old vulnerable stuff and get new """safe""" hardware.

If you're referring to Spectre, then enjoy your Pentium MMX 233 MHz.

What disks/partitioning/OSes have you put on them? Different OS on each, or the same image on each, or multi-boot?

Yep. Time hurts. Imagine yourself back in 1998, you would by all means consider some 486 system from 1991 old, wouldn't you.