Is there any capeshit out there right now that isn't garbage

Is there any capeshit out there right now that isn't garbage

Don't care if its from the big two or not, just need some good capeshit currently running.

Other urls found in this thread:

parahumans.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Madman is good and is sort of currently ongoing. There's no current run but Allred puts out a big special every now and then. Also you should really consider reading older comics, there's a fuck ton of them and once you get past the dialogue even the older capeshit can be pretty good, like the original run of Nova.

I'm already a huge Nova fan, or was. Not really big on what their doing with teen nova. Thanks for the suggestions though

Christopher Priest's Deathstroke is pretty good, although it's not exactly "capeshit" and the pacing might be an acquired taste.

There's also Judge Dredd, which is kind of like capeshit but more violent, with better worldbuilding and no retcons. It has like 40 years of weekly stories worth of material and is still currently running, with the original writer and a lot of the original artists still working on it.

There was Genndy Tartakovsky's "Cage!", but that was a limited series.

can confirm, that is a fun little series.

Oh shit Genndy made a comic? Did he do any of the art?

Yes

Gwenpool with art by Gurihiru is more fun than it ought to be, but I'd pirate it first to see if it's to your taste.

I always thought (still do) that her comic was just trying to hard to be the lol so randumb female wadepool. I mean I like wadepool as much as the next guy who didn't get to know any better but that cover can't make me think of anything else. The art looks good though.

It's written by McNinja's Christopher Hastings and he turns in a solid product.

Unlike Marvel's other writers, he seems aware that MEMES can't replace good writing.

didnt she get blacked

The DCEU

… Not even memeing. I'm being completely serious. This shit is kino.

A lot of DC Rebirth content is okay, and I would look into Image weeklies and seeing if there's anything you like if you insist that it is currently running.

Invincible

Jojo's bizarre adventure is kinda like capeshit, but it's actually good.

Astro City

I'm surprised no one said it yet.

>>>/a/
>>>/jojo/

I think that's the other Gwen (Spider-Gwen).

All this Gwen shit makes me hope they never release another retarded Gwen version of whatever ever again. Though to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel replaces Whor with some iteration of her, like Gwen Odinsdottir or some bullshit.

Astro City is a must read and while it's not currently running, and is an anime but Tiger and Bunny is amazing capeshit

What's with all the anime fags lately?

Oh I'm sorry, let me suggest western cape shit
there are such great classics as

I missed a few, but you can support all of these wonderful feminist™ products at any one of the nerd culture™ stores near you!

Or you could just buy trade paper backs of older works that are good.

are you retarded?
Is there any shit out there that's good?
Is there anything good out there that's shit?

do you mean Waypool?
I like it, he's learned that constant 4th wall jokes get stale.
Gurihiru's art is great in it.

hang on.
you're confusing runs with characters here my retarded friend.
classics implies old.
all that shit you mentioned is new stuff.
There's been plenty of great classic cape series.
Maybe if you weren't so new you'd know that

Aside from all capeshit being garbage, I've heard Astro City is good, but I don't read it, because I don't read superhero comics. Pretty sure it's still continuing.

I just noticed this

The unspoken implication here is "for capeshit," which means that "okay" amounts to a 3/10 at best.

I'm pretty sure you're the retard, friend
Incorrect

Cape shit is inherently lower and middle class nerd shit, not of the higher classes as classic would imply, faggot.
Maybe you should learn to read before you try to defend your points without greentext, redditor.

If you're into the comics, Rebirth is okay. If you want some real interesting capeshit, read Worm. Realistic character interaction, deadly Kaiju attacks, Holla Forums gang with superpowers, intelligent villains, a superpowered conspiracy group, and a hero that goes by the moniker of Clockblocker. The whole thing is longer than the Harry Potter series.

It doesn't have pictures though.

parahumans.wordpress.com/

Shill elsewhere.

I didn't like Cage at all. It was only 4 issues but only the first and last had any content, and the story was very generic with the characters all forgettable aside from Professor Soos

Genndy's lowest work, I'd say.

Fuck dude, I just finished reading it.

It's a pretty wild ride. The ending is kinda shit though. Everything after the timeskip is worse to be honest.

But the stuff with the slaughterhouse 9 was fucking amazing. Everything around that place in the series was top notch, best of the best.

I'm not an avid cape reader but I liked a few series, mostly from a past recommendations thread that was on Holla Forums before.

A man who could adopt the special abilities of animals near him tries to be a superhero and use his powers to protect people, while constantly getting ridiculed by those around him for not being "a real superhero". The stories demean animal cruelty and explore the unique traits of living creatures in a light-hearted/humorous manner, while neutralizing that with bloody almost gore-ish action.
Read the first volume by Grant Morrison, the later volumes take the character too seriously and get a bit too preachy which I personally didn't like.

Following his death, a former government special agent gets revived by a secret cult that enhanced his fighting abilities and trained him to do their bidding and perform assassinations. The agent is later appalled by the cult and escapes, then struggles to stay alive as the cult sends clones of him to take him out. He seeks the help of an interpol agent to help him destroy the cult once and for all.
This is all one, contained volume by Archie Goodwin. Pic related.

After a deadly confrontation with a mad doctor who escaped prison, a private detective gets buried in a cemetery only to emerge alive and well afterwards thanks to getting exposed to a weird liquid made by the mad doctor. He puts on a mask and adopts the name "The Spirit" then goes on to fight crime anonymously.
Light-hearted, mostly episodic action/crime stories. Read the original series by Will Eisner made in the 1940s.

Seconding Astro City, one of the best cape series I've ever read.
It has been storytimed here >>>/storytime/7538

Wasn't Coil killed by tattletale by means of shooting him in the head?

Skitter did it, but Dinah said there was a 3% chance of her handing the gun over to Tattletale. Coil said something to the effect of Skitter not being a murderer but she came back with "in a round-a-bout way, you made me one", or something along those lines. Lisa was just the one who set up the whole thing.

i liked the ex machina comics, even with all the liberal and queer shit in them, it usually works well
deadpool was fun while also being semi-serious/dramatic for the first 60 or so issues
spiderman unlimited (the one where he's in a universe where humanoid beasts are in charge) was great, but sadly canceled
hulk vs thor had the best marvel fights i've seen in a long time
hulk vs wolverine was a good contender for that, but not as great

A reasonable critique. Still, the least of Genndy's work is still lightyears ahead of anything being done by the vast majority of mainstream media output.

Then again, I guess most stuff is shit in any era, and time eventually filters out everything mediocre for either the exquisitely excellent or the hilariously awful.

No, mediocre garbage gets remembered all the time assuming it was somewhat mainstream.

Interestingly, the vast majority of mediocre stuff can be completely forgotten about, and it will still likely dominate what is remembered, since mediocre basically occupies the central 80% of the spectrum (sliding around, obviously, due to taste - one person's 4 may well be another's 7, but the extremely good and extremely bad tend to be more stable). Further, by volume, what is mainstream is more likely to be mediocre, since large companies have disproportionate influence over what is mainstream, and tend to go for safer, boring choices in their material, that inevitably turn into more mediocre, paint-by-numbers works.

On topic, I've enjoyed Empowered. I bought the first 7 volumes, but the creator has since turned the series into a webcomic. Unfortunately, the early stuff is kinda hampered by the fact that he was basically making a living off of drawing smut of the main character.

no thanks

Just give all comics to Genndy already.

What's wrong with that? The comic doesn't stress it and he's not portrayed as you would imagine today's fanatic vegans… Give the comic a shot at least.

helping not-peta is kind of the same thing

We didn't know what we had.

If you're gonna dismiss everything as a more extreme version of itself then why bother reading comics in the first place?
There was a logical fallacy for this but I forgot what it was

yes?

WANT

alright, explain this to me
why are 90% of comics capeshit?
even if i liked capeshit, it's all generic marvel/dc stuff
why are western comics so similar, fucking animu and mango has so much more variety

Comic Code Authority faggot.

So an 80s man who has seen animals get tortured decides to not eat meat on his own accord, yet doesn't give anyone shit for doing it including his own wife. Yup, sounds like a crazy vegan to me.
And of course any fictional animal rights group MUST be a representation of PETA, not like there are hundreds of other groups in the world or anything right?

If your head is so far up your ass then you're better off not reading comics at all.

That's still a thing? They couldn't possibly be too controlling though, I mean they did greenlight the Sandman series which I thought was very disturbing for a comic.

Animal Man is pretty great. Did he ever meet up with B'wana Beast?

The Code and the Authority stopped being a thing years ago because every publisher besides DC and Archie had long stopped submitting to them for review. And the Code was already toothless for years before that when it came to indie comics in the direct market.

Seriously?

u wot
he scolded his son for eating a burger

i'm just looking at the stuff i can read online
pic related is supposed to be the most popular shit
only about 7 or so comics from the first page aren't capeshit
every other page after it is 90% capeshit

They met the first time in volume 1 and it was glorious… Then in volume 2 B'wanna was all civilized and shit so he handed the torch to a nigger. Not even joking

That's in the later volumes which were shit.
I was talking about volume 1 only, see

Is that a parody?

I'll see if I can find it and I'll do a storytime.

Nope, it's part of the DC Nation line of shorts. There's a bunch, each with their own art styles and stories. I recommend Batman of Shanghai, Tales of Metropolis, Superman of Tokyo, and the Green Arrow shorts (and Animal Man, but you can guess that). Most of those only have two or three parts.

The league of superpets, plastic man, super BFFs, Shazam, Metal Men, and Deadman shorts range from tolerably bad to awful, and comprise the bulk of the work. Lots of awful humor and disgusting art.

Why would they do that? Who even thinks that's a good arc for someone like B'wanna Beast?

user that short was terrible and reduces AM to a useless comic relief "hero" à la Teen Titans Go.
That being said it might be funnier in the case of the more well-known capes, so I'll be checking those out.

The creator himself, apparently. Surprisingly both volumes are written and edited by the same people yet are stylistically very different.
Might not be the case for later volumes but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

There's your problem.

When has that ever not been true with timeskips?

I stopped reading a little after the timeskip, because the author started to 'Tell, not Show', and I only saw it going downhill from there. Sounds like I was right.

I could tell that 1 arc before the timeskip, the author started heavily drinking the AIDS kool-aid.
"Oh, we need to go to India because our story is too American-centric! Here's a team of Chinese!"
As well as starting to use all the fun words like "problematic".

then what the fug do i use

There was a thread here some time ago where an user was compiling a list of comics that Holla Forums enjoys, maybe check that when it's done?

No but it shaped history so that (to burgers) those are the comics that sell the most consistently and decently.

STORYTIME!

This one always cracks me up

Thanks for this.