Yfw we live in a world where official designs are doodled onto post-it notes, and shown in official art books...

These are previews of the official art book of Steven Universe that's getting released.

Wasn't that how The Simpsons was presented? Didn't the creator state he doodled them onto a napkin (or piece of paper) a few minutes before his presentation?

Yeah, supposedly Walt Disney did that a bunch of times too.

And it's made a joke of how silly it is. Do you want this to be the norm, user? Because this is literally the norm in Cartoon Network.

Sketching out an idea before finalizing it is not what's being discussed. He may have came up with an idea through doodling on a napkin, but that's not the same as having ALL your concept art just being shitty drawings on post-it notes.

Post it notes are used a lot in the animation industry. They're really handy.

user. user, please. Look at what you're trying to compare, here.

I hate Steven Universe as anyone else, but I don't see how is that a problem in cartoons in general.

Nigger, you weak ass shit.

Is it wrong if Iike the storyboard eyes more than the final clean-up's?

It's crazy how much more expressive those Dexters are compared to the Steven Universe and Clarence shit. When did Calarts forget how to draw?

I also never noticed that Steven Universe's dad is just an off-model Homer Simpson but it's really obvious from those concept sketches. He'd look right at home on bootleg chinese Simpsons merchandise.

You like Mr. Sparkle?

They didn't forget how to draw. It's that studios don't want them to.

Expressive animation is expensive as fuck. Watered down shit takes less frames(and time) to animate.

the artbook's introduction is gonna be written by Genndy Tartakovsky…

Man there's no iteration of Steven there that doesn't look ridiculously punchable.

I'll admit it does look a bit weird seeing so much yellow rectangles on those white pages of early character concepts.

Post it notes can be handy for things like costume changes (by laying the note on top and drawing a new costume as done by Stephen Silver and can also be seen in Pilot Pearl with the "conch shell inspired stuff" costume post it note" (4th image ).

Another thing that has to be mentioned about concept art (in all industries), the stuff that's released to the public is the "approved for public viewing" concept art. There is concept art stuff you are never going to see. Who knows why, maybe it's boring, copies and rips other stuff off or could even be offensive?

Rough drafts tend to look rough.

want to bear my child ? my wife can't

I'm not cherry-picking, and I'm not moving goalposts. 3/5 of the pictures I picked are just crap like that. Really stupid doodles that are nothing but jokes. Even the cleaned up drafts that are shown are sketchy and badly made.
Look at your own examples. Great line confidence and style, and probably from getting autographs from these artists (aside from the first pic). This isn't something that an artbook is going to be filled with.

user, why are you trying so fucking hard to defend SU? Do you actually like that piece of shit show?

They never learned to.

Reminds me of AT. Didn't one of the artists (either Sugar or the injun cunt who made that scam of a cartoon, Bee and Puppycat) make some doodles of the Adventure Time characters swearing and doing lewd shit, and get in trouble for it? Other than the Bee&Puppycat chick getting in trouble for trying to claim that Marceline and Princess Bubblegum are gay.

Did they draw that on all those post it notes? Seems like they drew it on one piece of paper and photoshopped it on some notes.

You did move the goalposts. You can shit on SU without using bad arguments.

Not really. Everyone here should know post-it notes are used often in the animation industry, but today's are half-assed. Read the OP again.

Nope, I agree user.

(OP)

Have a feeling he has to hold his tongue when he's writing it.

What makes you think he doesn't like the show?
Whatever he says in the intro is most likely going to be positive and genuine.

You need to start with internships and get worthless experience that's only technically "in the industry" before they'll look at your resume.

Entry position in almost every industry require 3 years experience. You can disregard that and keep applying. If you are good enough, someone will pick you up sooner or later.