What goes into a good gun action scene?

What goes into a good gun action scene?
What goes into making a HEAT style gun fight?

Other urls found in this thread:

alluc.ee/download/heat 1995
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Well if you're using Heat as a metric, you need blanks, actors that won't pussy out from firing blanks and lots of suppressing fire.

HEAT had the army guys on set to instruct them on guns and firefights. The result is an incredibly memorable gunfight scene with top notch sound design that pulls you in. Feels urgent as well as both the bad guys and cops are trying to end it quickly.

tfw I've never seen HEAT

Every Hollywood movie nowadays has their gunshots added afterwards. The director of Heat hated the sound and decided just to use the sounds the blanks made

Didn't he have guys literally following the actors around with boom mics?

You'll find out the aspects that you take for granted if you watch bad films.

Anyway, what stuck out for me in HEAT was the good sound design, good editing, and good sense of geography. If your gun sounds entirely weak, then your scene will sound weak. Michael Mann does his sounds very loud and they have a lot of weight to it. Instead of looking like it was shot stationary on a set. It had brief tracking shots and camera movement that followed a point of interest.

Just like drama and comedy, action needs specific set pieces with a beginning and an ending, a brief suspense ended with a blast of disbelief
Like many have already said, sound is king, this happens in video games too, the whole game feels weak if the guns don't have punch or sound. Also IMO the perspective of constant movement, desperation, and clear view.
Clear view as seeing how people get blasted instead of very fast editing that doesn't let you know what's happening, although this is valid when the director wants you to be a bystander in panic, making your sentimental state more important than the shooting, which would make it a drama and not a action flick.

Got you covered. Crank your ublock/adblock, pick a stream, and enjoy.

alluc.ee/download/heat 1995

Try to treat it as a drama film with good action scenes as opposed to an action film and you'll dig it.

Vid related. Big gibs and dramatic death spasm.

Are you me? We seem to have same tastes.

I think it's a common sense that Dirty Harry is shit due to the lack of gibs despite him wielding the "biggest handgun in the world that would blow your head clean off". What an overrated flick.

The best recipe for great gunplay is tension climax, static or precise moving camera, loud sound effect, lots of smokes, lots of gibs, and lots of spasm. Bonus points for muzzle point of view. Vid related

You could at least have the common fucking courtesy to post the Heat scene.

Post the entire scene in glorious HD next time, user.

Great movie. Could be like 30 or 40 minutes shorter though.

bump, can someone make a few keypoints on how to make an gun-action scene good?

see

ah, didnt see that post thanks

You sound like a Tarantino fan boy

I liked Dirty Harry because it had good writing. I don't think it's the best action movie, but

Just practice making some. HEAT was a remake of a TV movie called LA Takedown.

One of my favourite things about Heat is how McCauley tells Vincent that he shouldn't get attached to anything that he isn't prepared to run away from in 30 seconds, then just before the end McCauley takes roughly 30 seconds to decide to abandon his girlfriend and attempt to run away. Really nice attention to detail.

More like Fulci fanboy, fag. Besides, it's a 44 magnum, it should've been more destructive.