Peter Jackson was forced to do the Hobbi-

Peter Jackson was forced to do the Hobbi-

still better than capeshit tbh.

What's with all these sniper thread lat-

More like pressured.

Really setting the bar low there user

Originally Del Toro was supposed to make it but he backed out and then Jackson was pulled in to make it. However unlike the lord of the rings, he didn't have a whole plan for it and then the studio butted in too, making it a trilogy and what not and Jackson himself said that he had no idea what he was doing when making the movies.

Are you the type of person who likes something like this on youtube?

Compared to the Lord of the Rings-books, The Hobbit was always a weaker story, aimed at children.

Why make the movie grimdark when it's supposed to be a child's-tale? Should have made in the style of those 80's fantasy-movies instead, like Neverending Story or something like that.

Who the fuck is Alfrid?

It was a reasonably good movie up until they came to the elf king. From then onwards, it was beyond shit. The amount of badly done CGI spiked off the charts and the solutions were retarded.
Really?
Good thing that Viggo rejected the role of Aragorn, based on his knowledge of the books.

The LOTR trilogy felt like it had decades of forethough behind it and years of preparations with months of filming time.
The Hobbit was a bloated mess that I could honestly mistake for a Lucas film.

Oh, that's what's it called. Thanks, user!

have you seen the Mapple fan edit?

I watched the tolkien one.
I'll give maple a try since I got some lotr universe cravings.

Tolkien edit is terrible, very amateurish. Well, I guess I shouldn't say that, the guy still did his best.

Tolkien edit was the best edit ive seen but still it falls apart around batfa

Tokien edit was one of the first edits to be made. It's just by some one random guy. With due respect to him trying to fix the mess, it's still a shit edit. Mapple is borderline professional. They cgi'd out Smaug getting covered in gold so that the scene with him flying to Lake Town could be used etc.

there was a final version from dec 15 maybe its not the tolkien edit im thinking of

There's nothing "weaker" about Hobbit. It's simpler story made in simpler times but its literature heft is still above that of GoTshit. It's simplicity is what makes it a perfect prequel.

Ironically Tolkien himself, in fact, wanted to re-write Hobbit after he finished LOTR and make it more gritty and serious on part with the trilogy. But then, being an actual intellectual, realized what a terrible idea that was and stopped.

Tolkien would have hated all the LOTR movies, except maybe those old cartoons.

Fellowship is solid. In fact his grandson said that the family kinda hates the movies but the Fellowship is the closest thing to the books and kinda alright.

Yep. Hobbit is made specifically for children. With different stages that make Bilbo overcome his shyness and get into adventuring.
That's why he probably didn't redo it.
The reason why Hobbit fell flat on that account is becouse it tried to be LotR.
If it was made like some Pixar movie, it would be superb.
And then make the Fall of Gondolin or Beren and Luthien for the grown ups.
So it would cover all the generations.

Why? They were more than solid adaptations for the screens. Yes there are some difference from the movies but most were an improvement. F.e. Theoden's death.

Not exactly. While that in itself is a bad idea falling into the "prelude is bigger than the adventure" folly, why it fell flat was because it tried to be LOTR but fucking couldn't. Everything about the Hobbit felt like 2017 Brendan Fraser to 1999 Brendan Fraser. Every location looks like a cheap set or shitty blue screen, every returning actor is old and miserable, the direction is flat and uninspired, music bland and unremarkable, action scenes unintentionally comedic and political virtue signalling now installed.
LOTR was this great event of the new millennium, an adaptation of the nerd bible previously thought unfilmable. Everyone who worked on it gave it their best, even the guy who sweeps the floor swept it slightly better for this movie. The making of is almost as interesting a watch as the actual film. It had the air of freshness about it - cast superbly with nothing but unknowns and B-listers, having an entirely new studio do the special effects. All that translated into the final product.
And then comes Hobbit trying to poorly imitate the result without the process and looking like a shitty fan film, a cold studio aborted fetus.

Tolkien's family is all kinds of fucked up, they claim to hate people messing with the work but let Warner Bros make that fanfic-tier Shadow of Mordor shit.

I'm pretty sure they had no say in the matter as the games are based on the movies and they have zero rights over movies.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Are you fucking going to argue?

How is Christopher Lee an unknown or B-list actor?

please don't bully me ;_;

finland is strong here

Tolkien sold off the film rights to the Hobbit and LoTR, but retained literary rights. Nothing else of his has ever been sold or licensed, which is why the only commercialization you see is based entirely off of what happened in either the Hobbit or LoTR as his son won't let anyone near the rest of the works.

His son already has one foot in the grave though, and once he's gone expect wave after wave of Star Wars EU style shit to start appearing everywhere after the grandkids sell it all off.

They have let some games licence the books. War of the Ring was pretty cool.

Orc Wars was a better film 😊

You can't have that. Inspiring awe and the adventurous spirit? Impossible, not allowed, you can't have good white entertainment like that in the current year.

Fucking newfags don't even know about candlejack thr

The Star Wars Hobbit prequels are kino, Lucas Jackson was pushing technology to the absolute limits and plebeians didn't understand the deep lore, classical romance, and worldbuilding because they're fucking simpletons. Go back to reddit.

Too late fam, check out sexy seductress Shelob.

There's already enough of that

I don't know anything about the board game but I wouldn't be surprised if it actually was licensed from the film rights. They company that has the film rights has free reign to use anything that existed in either of the books for just about any purpose. Characters, locations, any part of the story, all of this is fair game.

Christopher Tolkien has attempted argue that the rights sold by his father should only apply to film, but hasn't been legally successful.

All the video games filled with ridiculous bullshit like

comes right off of the film rights, as since Shelob is in LoTR they can do whatever the fuck they want to.

I was wrong about nothing else being licensed though; I remember there was that power metal album loosely based off The Silmarillion. That would have had to be personally approved by Christopher Tolkien, so I guess he is just very judicious when it comes to the faithfulness of adaptations of his father's universe.

Not only that, but the titular character for the fucking book was a side character in the scheme and scale of the story. The Hobbit was not a fantasy epic like LotR, it was a simple adventure story about a relatively normal and unsuspecting hero facing adversity he was ill-equipped to handle and growing to a role where he could.
They turned 6 chapters of book into 3 hours of final movie, which is just fucking insane.

Daily reminder that this trilogy got positive reviews

and Lucas' prequel trilogy got shit on

rightfully

Not an argument.

k

How is Sean Bean and Ian McKellen

The core of the ho bit movies problem was that it shouldnt have been a trilogy. If it wete two movies like jackson originally wanted they wouldnt need to dump in all the shitty filler.

if they had done it as one movie, and hadn't added anything not from the books, it would have been great

All were completely unknown prior to the trilogy. Go you fucking millennials, kill yourself.

The tranny wormtongue knockoff.

His whole life was foreshadowing!

that was funny, fuck off buzzkill

Sean Bean was at his peak before LotR. Ian McKellin was a big-time theater actor

You know the 77 cartoon exists and is still great, right?

Nightfall in Middle Earth is great though.

kys

Ehh Hobbit is kinda hard to fit into one movie. The journey is about as long as the Fellowships, and there's a lot more pauses in the journey that make for good stopping points (Beorn's House and Elf prison) that a sequel could pick up on. I think 2 would have been the golden number.