The anti-scientific character of “race” as a concept

wsws.org/en/articles/2016/08/03/gene-a03.html

By Philip Guelpa
3 August 2016

>An article published earlier this year in the prestigious journal Science, titled “Taking race out of human genetics,” [science.sciencemag.org/content/351/6273/564.full] reviews the “century-long debate about the role of race in science” and demonstrates that the concept of race is not only invalid for the purposes of biological and medical research, but that its use has distinctly negative consequences in those fields, let alone in the larger social context.

>Following the success of the human genome project [wsws.org/en/articles/2003/05/gene-m07.html] in the early 2000s, the growing popularity of individual DNA tests to determine ancestry has resulted in many “surprise” discoveries of complicated genetic pedigrees that do not fit into neat racial categories. This complex reality may not be recognized by the person or family due to the shallow depth of memory or intentional “forgetting” of previous racial/ethnic affiliations in order to accommodate current realities.

>Equally if not more important, research on the human genome has demonstrated that, despite apparent variability in such visible traits as skin color, modern humans have a remarkable overall genetic similarity (99.9 percent), as compared to many other species, pointing to the comparatively recent appearance of Homo sapiens. Indeed, all modern humans derive primarily from a relatively small population that existed, probably in Africa, about 200,000 years ago (a blink of an eye in evolutionary terms), with subsequent minor admixtures from Neanderthals and, perhaps, other early populations (see “The genetic legacy of the Neanderthals”) [wsws.org/en/articles/2014/01/06/nean-j06.html].

Other urls found in this thread:

wsws.org/en/articles/2015/10/23/geno-o23.html]
sun.ac.za/english/faculty/healthsciences/cmel/Documents/taking race out of human genetics.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

History abounds with examples of migrations and intermixing of peoples formerly living in desperate locations. These include (to name but a few):

· The dispersal of early agriculturalists from the Near East

· The “Back to Africa” migration [wsws.org/en/articles/2015/10/23/geno-o23.html]

The Bantu expansion in Africa

· The ancient Greek diaspora throughout the Mediterranean region and beyond

· The invasion of Europe by the Huns

· The Norman Conquest of England

· The Mongol invasion of China, then Central Asia and Russia

· The multiple waves of pre-Columbian immigration from Asia, and perhaps even Europe, into the Western Hemisphere

Interesting, thank you.

sun.ac.za/english/faculty/healthsciences/cmel/Documents/taking race out of human genetics.pdf

Some faggot was in here a few weeks ago calling sickle cell a "black" disease

Will racecucks ever learn?

Learn what? As the paper linked to says many times, race can serve a function in biology and much to their annoyance a better taxonomical system has yet to be devised. Race doesn't give absolutes but is an expression of genetic heritability and as such can be used to make predictions.

from the paper,

basically, stop using excellent language.

problem­atic
probIematic

That paper essentially concedes race as a classification has a purpose in biology and studies of genetics.

The problem I have with OP and this whole line of thinking, is that you would shut down valid research cause muh feels. What if there are smart genes? What if they do correlate with race? Then racial classification would be helpful in dealing with said smart gene. But libtards would rather just ignore this whole line of research. Explain to me how this isn't willful ignorance.

it says the exact opposite you fagtard

Nice try shitmuncher

This isn't debunked. Just ignored.

Unlike earlier disagreements concerning race and biology, today's discussions generally lack clear ideological and political antipodes of “racist” and “nonracist.” Most contemporary discussions about race among scientists concern examination of population-level differences between groups, with claims about the genetic basis of social dif- ferences between races ( 20 ). Finally, the use of the race concept in genetics, an issue that has vexed natural and social scientists for more than a century, will not be obviated by new technologies.

then,

Literally, stop using probl­ematic language.

Race exists, but it isn't a strict category.

However, the "white" race is an American & formerly British colonial social construct.

The Irish, Italians, Greeks, Slavs, even the Germans at some point, wouldn't be included in the white race for various reasons.

Even the name itself is confusing, since white is just a colour.

The Anglo-Saxons promoted the term for themselves and it included others based on their sympathies, just like Hitler and the Aryans.

Other than that, I think that races have to be accepted formally, but they need to be re-defined on modern terms.

As a fun game, what are the various races and what should we call them?

Exactly this the "white race" translates to "whoever we're not currently imperialist against". For example in the height of the struggles with the IRA and such, many people would see "irish" as a distinct race from "white", despite it probably being closer to them genetically than say, German, despite them including that in the same category of "white".

.>>837463
Some geneticists argue that there are as many races as you wanna look for. There is no strict definition for race, so it's open to political interpretation. You could say that there is no race, and that we're all variations of the same human species, but that is equally unfullfilling. Maybe race is an unstable category, depending on what you're examining, and it's inherently political.

This is a good point. Race is only useful in it can be a helpful indicator. X belongs to group Y so will likely have Z genetic traits.

Please. I never said that. I said that "our" (as in our culture generally in the west) defines race ideologically to justify imperialism.
Imperialist ideology and nationalism is obviously not exclusive to the west and "white people". That's just the example I gave.

Exactly, but there are many combinations of such groups, and the uses for which you might want to group them. So no "stabl" race.

This too. However I feel to block reseach on the subject cause taboo is anti-scientific.

Fair enough. But I think what you said is inaccurate. Are Russians white? Cause they're presented as our main enemy these days and have been for the past few years.

There is quite a lot if good research on genes going on, but no conclusions I'm afraid. No one wants to be the next James Watson in this climate.

This is the fucking problem. The idea of taboo scientists is pushed by the faux-left SJW shitcunts and the establishment is scared of telling them to STFU.

It's Cultural Marxism I tell you

Many would consider them not white. This is the point I am making; they are considered our main enemy and so some people will view them as "slavic" rather than white.

Why does Holla Forums have to take articles from WSWS seriously? Can we take articles from a better Trot organization instead?

No, they did not. The Irish were painted as the other and something to be suspicious of but they were never depicted as something alien the way Muslims are these days.

Actually it's literally "stop using unscientific language"

Because "race" is an arbitrary, socially defined concept with members of any given "race" being at times wildly heterogeneous.

kys tia

What's the matter with WSWS? Did they say mean things about some pseudoleft organization that you like?

Even though the classic races are stupid, it doesn't mean that the show is over. Especially with genetic engineering possibly becoming reality, we could see another type of race in the future. Rich/genetically enhanced - poor/plain human.

Uhhhhhh

That image looks like it might just predate that start of the troubles in the late 60s. If you're referring to the period during which Eire became independent, fair enough. Wouldn't have phrased that as "struggles with the IRA" myself, given later events.

It was from Punch in either the late 1880's/early 1990's. But anyway, at the time there was a lot of lit devoted to discussing how the "Ibero-Celtic" race were the "Negroes of Europe". So yeah this is pre-Troubles, but the theme of painting the Irish as less than white (and thus less than human) as been around for awhile.

It's okay, they're our white brothers now :)

Found the mick

i find the concept of race catastrophic on a social level, beside being scientifically invalid.
it creates unbreakable walls between humans who aren't fundamentally different otherwise.

you'll find tall asians with a big dick and a low IQ, short white rednecks who's only purpose in life is to shit kids, live off welfare and occasionally break the law.
you'll also find introvert blacks with high iq.
statistics are inherently accurate.
using general statistics on an individual level is retarded

This didn't make much sense. Whether race exists or not won't be decided by dick size or IQ.

dat ass

Upload your Ushijima folder, comr8

Those girls look like a different race to me.

They look "the same" to you?

No, they look pretty alien to me. I'm sexually attracted to them, but they ain't me.

t. Cletus

When science doesn't back them up, they always resort to what they know best