en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockingboard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Management_Mode
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80386#The_i386SL_variant
wired.com/story/macos-update-undoes-apple-root-bug-patch/
lists.apple.com/archives/Mt-smp/2001/May/msg00007.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I kek'd

I have no words for this.

Doesn't happen on El Capitan. Apple is measurably getting worse as time goes on.

it just works

Genius

Haha.

R.I.P. Lemi. Also can't Apple sue him for not disclosing it privately?

They can't do shit, he's not breaking any law. The "responsible disclosure" shit the companies are doing is just getting researchers/exploit discoverers to not spread the bug in public by offering them gibs.

Also it can be done using remote desktop. Hmmm...feels more like a built in feature for NSA tbh.

That's what you get for using an unsafe language to write your OS

nice soothing passive aggressive response from the apple bot

Don't say that! It's getting more culturally enriched and sensitive every single day you bigot!

people who use mac's are fucking idiots

Haha. Surely that's a sockpuppet for the lulz.

this guy is also butthurt that this was released at all and not quietly sent to apple

it's not a sockpuppet it's the guy from OP who made the tweet

isn't root disabled by default on max?

According to the twitter's if root is disabled, this bug enables it, hence the advice is to set a strong password but leave it enabled, I guess you can invoke the root access and an empty password when root is disabled with a password?

maybe if it delete's the password when you disable the root account. how do you even operate a computer with no root account. I guess the average apple goy is never going to leave safari and the handful of apple applications, itunes, etc.

nvm i guess there's no need for a root account for root access

ぁそ。

Can't you get admin privileges on Macs by ctrl-alt booting and deleting a file or something?

Doesnt iPhoneX have some display problems too?

Apple isn't looking too good.

Amazing.

Finally, just like android (tm).

this

lmao

he should have sold this shit to the cianiggers

lmoa

forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79235#277225
Nov 13, 2017 12:48 PM

is that not the way ubuntu et al operate per default? you just sudo what you need to

yeah
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo

Apparently it's a built-in feature, not a bug!

well, the account itself is still disabled/locked, is it not? you can't log in as root

XDDDD

github.com/LineageOS/Superuser

Wasn't there a similar loonix exploit at some point?

loonix is written in unsafe c. so yes of course there was/is.

What are the chances this guy won't recognize the rainbow apple logo if someone shows it to him?

I think it was a problem with GNOME, specifically.

(((Linus "security problems are just bugs" Torvalds)))
Dude! It is 2017! The year of TempleOS!

stop shilling your arcane OS here, Terry.

When I installed High Sierra, I noticed the root account was curiously enabled by default, which is strange because that deviates from past behaviour.

Found this, absolutely hilarious.

Holy fucking shit.

Apple, not even once.

CIA NIGGERS LOSE THEIR FRONTDOOR INTO MACS

HOW WILL THEY EVER RECOVER??

OSX,linux and just about every other unix is shit. You can reboot in to single user mode and set your init to /bin/sh. No password needed.

What is an encrypted disk?

Yeah, renaming cmd into microsoft narrator gives you the highest privilege escalation on a login screen. You can backup the password, remove the password, and restore when you're done or maybe leave it be for shit and giggles.
Works on any windows version. WONTFIX

lol Windows BTFO

could they not simply use a hashsum check to prevent that?

Dont remember exactly, but I think it was a systemd or LightDM bug when you could bypass login by pressing some button lots of times in less than 1 second. Doesnt really matter since you shouldnt be using neither systemd nor lightdm ever.

It was a bug with xscreensaver and gnome-screensaver, you could bypass a locked machine

At this point wouldn't you have already owned the system because you can rename the command line you would have to boot another os.... physical access means you own the system, Linux, windows, or Mac.

A real flaw was in the XP days you could log in as admin without a password. Windows is ahead of Mac in security but as far as vs Linux that's debatable.

For generic servers with a gui, windows is good. I prefer Linux for command line though.

I hate Valley speak.

In all fairness, Windows XP was still aimed at consumers and single users and, despite being NT based, still carried over some security flaws with winlogon from the Win 9x days. Microsoft never intended the consumer versions of Windows to be used for anything serious so there was no encryption involved when logging in for example. I think Microsoft made these decisions because having a difficult to access admin account for making system changes and encryption for user account passwords would've been an inconvenience for the average normalfag of the era. It wasn't until the majority of computer users actually got internet that Microsoft had to get serious about security.

Linux conversely has roots in *nix and thus UNIX so it was designed from day 1 with networking in mind. People always rag on Microsoft for having poor security in the early days but you have to remember that in the early days security was simply an inconvenience for the end-user, Microsofts target audience, and it wasn't deemed necessary yet because the end-users didn't generally didn't really get internet until the early 2000s. (when the World Wide Web became available to the average pleb in the mid-90s the internet in general was still exclusive to "power users" )

Sierra?

I'm pretty sure I used this same trick years ago to recover passwords when I was working for a school district. They bought Macs for everybody and teachers are retarded and can't remember their simple passwords.

I thought Macfags were aware and thought this was a "feature".

Woosh.

it's command-S while booting, mounting the root filesystem in read-write mode (instructions printed to console upon startup) and then deleting /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then reboot.
To be fair though, linux is not that much harder if you have physical access.

User-password-login concept was not designed for home computers an attacker can get a direct access to.
It's a legacy thing for timesharing systems .
For home computers, you always need full disk encryption and hardware integrity module to get reasonable security from sufficient physical attacker.

You can set a firmware password on macs to prevent people from doing that. Apple do have a master key to that though.

Update:
objective-see.com/blog/blog_0x24.html

This is beyond incompetent. I'm not particularly surprised though

What blows my mind os that for all the issues Mac OSX has had since launch, from buggy font engines crashing your shit to things like this, retards will still lie to themselves and pretend OSX was ever "polished". It just blows my mind

I'm running out of laughing reaction pics

Well compared to the user experience of Gnome3 or KDE, I think it's fair to say it is polished. Prior to High Sierra, stability was there too, but they seemed to throw everything out the window for this release. I'm waiting for them to say the real fix is to run iOS.

At least Apple is fixing it. On linux if you get a username that starts with a number systemd will happily give you root. They call it "Not a bug".

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237

They Apple may have ruined OSX with Sierra but its still 100x better then the total clusterfuck that is the linux ecosystem.

They're already insinuating that iOS is the (only) future in their marketing. There's a commercial that gets played over and over on Hulu these days that's some androgynous mulatto kid fucking around on some Apple device all day, in different locations, doing different stuff. At the end of the commercial the child is in its back yard still fucking around on the device, and a neighbor looks over the fence and asks if it's playing on its computer, and it says "What's a computer?" The ad is for a MacBook running iOS maybe? Something like that, I haven't paid that much attention because I'm not a fag.

nice try apple troller

It's great how Pottering completely misses the fucking point. The issue isn't invalid usernames you numale queer, the issue is there's clearly a privilege escalation exploit some malicious user can exploit

bullshit, if it's encrypted then they won't get anything this way
adb only accepts debug sessions with previously authorized keys (which can be done only when screen is unlocked) and rebooting to bootloader/recovery will remove encryption key from RAM, so attacker may at most damage some data or maybe plant backdoors into the unencrypted parts, but not simply steal user data.

and of course normies don't do encryption, or when they do, they use shit password which can be bruteforced.
but this is OS-independent.

Absolutely disgusting. That sounds like a phantasmagorical nightmare of various millennial archetypes.

The move to unify the two operating systems wouldn't surprise me though, as despite the veneer, the Mac is still an 'old school' unix machine built for a group of people that are decreasingly seen as Apple's priority customer. Their ideal consumer is a low IQ mud race person who wishes to post selfies of xerself using a plethora of apps pushing most computation and storage into the "cloud". My father had a home PC in the 80s to run accounting software, LOL that's so lame in CURRENT_YEAR+X... who needs to think about figures when we're just on the voyage of moving forward experiencing the sharing economy together!!!

Linux was a mistake.

That's on purpose, so sysadmin can bring the machine into single user mode and do maintenance. You can always encrypt the disk if that bothers you.

Linux was supposed to be just a fun passtime until Hurd was released. It ended up like the Perl script that got pushed into production because it did the job good enough and they needed something working by yesterday.

Found it. It's even worse than than I thought it would be.

Just what the fuck is this thing?

Looks like the typical macfag.

Jesus christ.

No wonder their desktop lines go 5 years without revisions.

Disabled as in you can't log in as root via the GUI you dumb cunt.

How in the fuck do they think that's a good marketing strategy? They're really doubling down on the idea that people who use apple products are tech illiterates?

Apple finally makes an ad for their target audience, little mulato children who have no idea what computers are and live in some inner-city ghetto

You need to take a breather, chump.

Since Steve died there's been a disturbing number of these incidents. I believe he was actually redpilled on a number of issues, it's said he used a G4 PowerBook instead of an Intel Mac as his main machine.

Is there even a brand out there for master race patricians like myself, or do I have to make it myself? Kinda hard for a laptop.

Yet he was fine with his customers being exploited? To be fair though, I'm not sure if the Intel chips Apple use have ME. They certainly didn't when Apple first made the ppc->x86 switch.

you're in luck

Jobs was literally a Pajeet whose mysterious Indian mother gave up for adoption. The Woz was the only "redpilled" one. Jobs even went to India to do drugs and shit between Apple and NextSTEP. Although he probably did that because the Beatles did it and he wanted to come across as some worldly artsy type.

"Patrician" usually means "elitist who is never satisfied" so probably not
Apple quite literally fucking INVENTED the concept of a "Management Engine"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Management_Controller

What the fuck are you even talking about? People willingly paid for every Apple product made.

Not only do they have ME but Libreboot supports several Apple laptops with ME.

Proofs? They switched right around the ME times, I believe to comply with the Information Assurance laws.

I believe that Jobs' pick was Ive and that he was killed with cancer like we've seen before. (((They))) took over Apple one bit at a time.

Totally different thing, there was no way for the SMC to hook up to the Internet and spy on you. Fucking shills GTFO.

How fucking DARE you call me a shil when your blatant Apple fanboyism is being falated around

Yep, totally right, nothing like Intel ME, it just enforces hardware-level DRM and controls sleep and wake functions that's all

>calling out a legit concern about modern-day (((Apple))) makes you a fanboy
>implying the SMC in a Powerbook was the same as the SMC in an (((Intel))) machine
Your hollow shit is repeated on cuck /g/ too. I dare to call you a shill because you hit every single shill meme in your post, you faggot.

Get your head checked, something is wrong with you

I own one of these, the 1.5 rev is pozzed as are all the later ones.

Get a 1.0 if you can.

I'm sorry, but the ability to follow a conversation is a pre-requsite for this site. You'll have to go back.

It's not, though. That's your problem, your premise is false. The SMC in Powerbooks doesn't handle DRM, has no network functionality, and in fact you can audit the whole thing yourself. There's even a Debian package for OpenFirmware hacking, and OF runs the SMC.

Nice try though, you'd have some Windows norman with your bullshit.

You're hitting all the memes here you butt fucking shill.

Holla Forums thinks Apple shouldn't make a profit on their products for some reason, your tired rhetoric on this issue is BTFO and you have no argument.

Argue some point any time. My point is only that G4's and earlier aren't pozzed in the hardware.

They all have these logos on them

The SMC was nothing like ME and had none of the remote administration and management functions of ME. How was it a spiritual successor to ME?

You're fresh out of memes.

I'm obviously not Holla Forums, do you really think they would post Wernher von Braun? I took issue at your claim that Jobs was redpilled using the G4, but still decided to sell intel computers to his customers.

No, you need to convince someone with root access to configure a service to run with a username that starts with a digit. Having a username that starts with a number doesn't get you anywhere.

Ok well at least that is something I can consider.

There was a 5 year deadline to implement this tech after the secret parts of the Patriot Act were passed. It's no wonder why all this fuckery started in about the 2006-2008 time frame.

That's why it wipes itself whenever you try to read from it, right?

But it isn't. It handles control of system hardware and power distribution, it functions completely separately to the CPU

That logo is cancer though.

youtube.com/watch?v=YcjlhFVTY50

No, you can in fact poke into every part of it by booting to OF, which is just a Forth. You can audit every bit of the whole thing yourself.

You're still trying to conflate the SMC functions of modern Intel Apples with the OF of PPC Apples. It's retarded but I commend you for having the latest shill talking points, you traitor.

Meanwhile the Commodore 64 had more or less had an identical processor with superior sound a graphics capabilities

Apple was always overpriced trash, kill yourself fanboy

The C64 had a similar CPU but that's where the similarities ended. Everybody knows the Apple ][ was the superior machine. Does the C64 even support SCSI?

You fucking millennial shitbag.

The Apple II didn't support 8MBs of RAM until the end of its life. Nobody could afford 8MBs of RAM when the CrApple II came out even if they could upgrade it. the C64 was also significantly cheaper, again, despite having superior sound and graphical capabilities

I owned both as a child, the C64 was a great machine but it was shit compared to the Apple ]['s, can the C64 even HGR? No. Does it have a large hobbyist community like the Apple ][ series does today? No.

Sorry kid you're out of your league here. Also if you count expansions, the Apples blew away the C64.

youtube.com/watch?v=oKoisNv1ftw

I'm watching you two argue this, and just wish we lived in a time when the debate was Apple vs Commodore, instead I get to live in the world of androgynous mulattos asking "What is a computer?".

I'm very tempted to find some non-pozzed hardware (preferably something open) and go full Terry in writing a non-portable OS specifically for it. No one would use it, but it'd be fun.

Also, Commodore did release official RAM expansions for the C64 as well.

The Commodore 64 also had a GUI later in its lifetime (GEOS) that completely fucking destroyed the Apple IIs DeskTop, again, do to the superior Sound and Graphical capabilities of the C64

And being cheaper did make it better, considering the superior sound and graphical capabilities that utterly destroyed the Apple II

And who the fuck are you kidding "Hobbyist community"? The C64 was the best selling computer model of all time. Have you even taken a look outside your Apple sheep bubble?

Check out ForthOS for Intel architecture, also TempleOS is a great start for this kind of thing. Terry wrote it to be a portable C64 type thing for Ctards after all.

God bless Terry.

lol how much RAM?

GEOS was on Apple as well.

Again, Apple destroyed the C64 with cards, which was kind of the whole point of an open architecture like that. It also came with a number of superior features which expanded as models were released.

Ever look at the Apple II Pi? The C64 is dead, Apple ][s will live forever.

Nice pilpul though, you got anything else kid?

Thanks, shall do. Although the fun for me will be creating it all from scratch... we'll see.

HAHAHAHA!
Look at this hot garbage compared to the C64

Man, if only the C64 version wasn't so grey. It's pretty much superior otherwise.

I agree, the UI designers should've just left the grey out of the main window backgrounds. I think they wanted to give it a sort-of "smoother" look compared to the otherwise sharply contrasted Apple II version

It was neat and such but 16-bit toolkit apps were the ultimate evolution of Apple ]['s legacy.

If you're holding GEOS up as a benchmark of success you clearly didn't live in that era. I didn't even run it until the 2000s and only in an emulator.

Do a LISP please, god I'd love some CL written in ASSY. But anything you do will be awesome I'm sure, hobbyist OS's are the new wave. Pajeets are stuck in a narrow blinder by the CIA, it will take a new approach to advance the state of the art.

Let's see... They were about the same with CPU and RAM.
C64 had tons of games and tools, but so did Apple II. Well they're probably close here.
Apple II had worse graphics but you had the option of 80-column screen and running CP/M. C64 couldn't, you needed to upgrade to C128 for that.
Apple II had worse sound, but you could buy sound board like this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockingboard
C64 had not much expansion options. Apple II had slots for boards, to do just about anything (good for the equivalent of today's arduinofags)
I guess C64 was a good option if you were a poorfag, it's just you wouldn't have as many options to upgrade. Anyway whatever, any computer back then was kickass, unless maybe you got stuck with a stock 1K ZX-81 for a long time.

>Apple II had worse sound, but you could buy sound board like this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mockingboard
It wasn't just upgrading, you could really tinker with an Apple ][ and they gave you the backplane to do it on.

I don't want to disparage any of the golden age computers but we have to recognize each had their own individual strengths and weaknesses.

Recap because diversion worked:

>Jobs is dead and (((they))) run Apple now
Time to audit Darwin, can a person compile it and switch it out with Apple's Darwin? Hm....

What was the max RAM of a C64 anyway? I'm saying with expansions but not modern day hardware hacking and so on.

systemd ≠ linux but the kernel is probably pozzed

remember the PRNG bug that existed for at least a FULL FUCKING DECADE?

I was thinking of doing it in Ada, and Scheme for the scripting language.

Ada would be amazing, and it frustrates chinks and pajeets like c does.

They just can't into it.

A miserable little pile of blobs

Fuck off Commodore was shilling the fuck out of GEOS with the C64C

Yet it still flopped, still at your pilpul game?

You clearly didn't experience the era first hand.

AFAIK 512 KBs was the official "Maximum" used by geoRAM and the Commodore REU. But even during the C64s heyday people had memory expansion up to 1MB

C64 Just Werked. It could do it all out of the box, until the power supply failed. I never heard of anyone modding their Apple IIs, but maybe that was a urop thing? I loved my C64 but I was too young to do more than BASIC stuff and sprites with it. Got into assembly with the XT.

It didn't "flop" in fact at its peak it was the 3rd most popular OS in use behind MS-DOS and Mac OS. It lead to a couple successors that did ultimately flop but it's clear you're a raging queer who needs to step outside his Apple bubble

Chuck peddle, the team leader of the 6502 processor went to Apple and made the fucking Apple 2 work. Commodore was superior and cheaper that's a fact. I have great respect for Wozniak, Apple 2 is a nice computer for it's time, but C64 is much better. Later on you have black and white Macs vs multitasking, stereo 4channel sampling, 4096 colors displaying amiga. Apple btfo.

I sweat pic related is a perfect description for what's happening in this thread

There was a nearly complete lack of applications for GEOS. Nobody used it.

That's because they had expansion slots, but there were a plethora of mods as well including new CPUs up to 20 MHz.

It came stock with better sound and graphics than an 8-bit Apple ][, but for various reasons already elucidated it wasn't superior to the Apples.

Amiga would have done better if Commodore wasn't such a totally shit ass company.

I understand why you shills were shilling against Apple when Steve was in charge, and he wasn't giving you access to the platform through backdoors, but why keep this up? It doesn't make sense.

If anything you should be shilling against Intel and AMD if you care about privacy. It's funny, wherever a person goes on the Internet they can see textbook examples of shit-tier shillops like yours.

Perhaps Apple still won't let you into the iPad?

Stop replying to this shitpostimg retard guys Christ you guys are easy to b8

Poe's law can be a bitch tbh

Seeing the attempts to FUD PPC-era Apple gear in this thread, you'd know that the shills are really the dumb ones.

Really good job diverting the topic though, I see your new instructions are being implemented.

This is a thread about gaining root on OSX with 2 mouse clicks. Nobody here is shilling for the NSA, you're just retarded

Oh I don't know user, seems like there could be some shilling ITT.

Intel did it earlier with the 80386 SL.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Management_Mode
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80386#The_i386SL_variant

In Windows you can replace sethc.exe with cmd.exe, and then reboot and press shift five times, and an admin cmd prompt will open. I know for a fact that this works with Windows versions as recent as 8.1, although it probably even works with W10.

GEE BILL

If you reboot any modern Mac with OS X while holding down the 's' key, it will boot into single user mode and present you with a root shell. Of course you need access to the console to do this.

you're all a bunch of fags, everyone knows that the zx spectrum was the best home computer out there, fuck the 6502 the z80 is still used today

The Z80 was always overrated, even in the late 80s it was finding its way into cheaper, more embedded applications like the original Gameboy. The Commodore 64 conversely did not actually use the 6502, it used the 6510, which is basically a slightly more expensive 6502 with an additional 8-bit general purpose I/O port

How does that make it overrated?
Anyway, besides getting embedded into tons of stuff (like cash registers and TI graphing calculators), the Z80 was used in the Sega Genesis as a co-processor.

really miss those days. millennials have no idea what they missed. (picture most of the internet having the same kind of of hostile attitude as imageboards still do today).

next step: guess disk encryption password with ~120 bits of entropy or more

It's not even funny anymore
MacOS Update Accidentally Undoes Apple's "Root" Bug Patch
wired.com/story/macos-update-undoes-apple-root-bug-patch/

Holy shit. This is beyond embarrassing. We laugh when very small hobbyist operating systems do dumb things, but this is not what you expect from a company with the market cap of Apple.

At this point I hope Apple just puts OSX out of its misery.

It once was a pretty decent UNIX(tm) but now its just a hot mess. The downhill slide started when they switched from PPC imo. My bet is (((they))) replaced the old OSX dev team with H1B streetshitters who just cut and paste code from FreeBSD.

Some jackass at a computer company signed off on this ad, saying that it would help them sell more fucking pocket computers.

Also this tbh, it's not as good as Mac OS 9 was

No one other than RMS took Hurd seriously. They didn't even have the programmers for it until like '94.

Where the fuck are all the mac fanboys defending Apple now?

jesus christ the cringe

Didn't even have preemptive multitasking.

The strategy now is to ponder the glory days of Snow Leopard.

Please refrain from using words and idioms you do not understand.

You will lose this argument.

In fact I'll preempt your argument. You're going to send me this:
lists.apple.com/archives/Mt-smp/2001/May/msg00007.html

I'll just quote the last sentence for you
multitasking with cooperative tasking and doing so with high compatibility with existing apps on OS 9 is difficult. We probably
could make this better given time but our mandate is OS X.

You have been admonished. Now be quiet.

Applefags everyone

Have a nice day.

see

LOL

faggot

I could have called him the paragon of Holla Forums retardation, but I would never do that. It's best to shut down tripfags like that and move on. I do hope he has a nice day though.

>>>/jidf/

SMM isn't the same as a Management Engine even though there is an identical word in both.

Nice doublethink.

Mac user here.
First of all, the root account is disabled by default - you have to manually enable it in order to use it without sudoing. Second of all, macOS has something called System Integrity Protection (SIP), first introduced in El Capitan, which limits what root can do (there used to be a way to silently disable it with AppleScript, but now you have to disable it from Recovery Mode if you want to disable it). Third of all, some Macs don't have the "Other" user login option because they're only used by a single person, like mine. In order to login as root and fuck up your Mac, you have to enable the root account, disable the SIP, and then use the "Other" user login option. You can login as root even with the SIP enabled, but the whole point of SIP is to prevent you from fucking up your Mac with things like rm -rf /. Also, even if you do fuck up your Mac, you could always boot into the Recovery partition and either restore your drive from a backup, or start fresh with the backup copy of macOS there.

In a nutshell, this is one of those security issues where a dumbass user is to blame, and not computer. Apple doesn't need to patch this, YOU need to disable the root account when you're done using it!

But all the mainstream distros do use systemd now.

The handfull of autists who run gentoo, slack, void, etc are just pissing in the wind now. They have to burn more and more manhours modifying software packages to make them work on non-systemd systems.Always one or 2 steps behind the rest. Less the BSD userbases.

Systemd is Linux.

Ment for

It's not exactly the same as Intel ME, but it's the foundation with negative cpu ring that OS can't control. Good target for hackers and cianiggers.

Holy shit, Poettering really is as bad as they say. It's funny how he shifts the blame onto others while ignoring that systemd should NEVER run something as root unless it is explicitly told to do so. It's also strange how, in his last post, he conveniently glosses over the fact that useradd allows usernames that adduser does not. And how he thinks that fixing this privilege escalation bug would somehow "break compatibility" (even though this behavior is completely unintuitive), and how he doesn't admit that, if they are to enforce a policy about usernames, systemd should reject unit files with invalid usernames rather than running them as root.

Poettering seems to spend more time justifying bugs than fixing them.

It was already mentioned that users may have usernames with Unicode characters like umlauts, accents, cyrillic characters, etc. If the administrator uses useradd instead of adduser (and thus is never told that the username is not valid,) then we have a problem.

It's not anything like ME, which serves to provide remote administration and management tools invisible to the user.

It has the word 'management' in it, that's about the extent of the similarities. Nice FUD though, it's part of the standard disinfo pack that demotivational shills have been using lately.

When you install High Sierra (at least from clean), the root account is by default enabled. I have also heard (but not confirmed), that the root account trick actually had the side effect of turning on the root account.

Wow is this ever high viral load. THIS is the result of them bringing all the ad production in-house. Some disgusting barely-human androgynous female chimera that's totally stronk and indypyndynt but 11/10 autistic based on its clothing/fashion sense and the activities it performs on the tablet doing all kinds of shit no vagina ever would to music literally no one listens to.

Compare to another current year ad. Product is shit but the ad borders on bona fide fucking ART.

Clever ad indeed.

I thought ads were supposed to be relatable

Was so fucking great. Fast as fuck even on shit hardware and a clean and comfy UI. Then Lion came out and fucking ruined everything, what a piece of shit release.

Fun fact, there was a 10.6.9 update ready to be released that would have enabled the use of icloud but they pulled it at the last second to force macfags to shell out 29.99 for the Lion downgrade/pozgrade.

Even if it does enable root its still very low risk because you still need to be physically at the mac to use this. And if your physically in front of the mac then you can reboot in to single user mode like any other unix.

The ssh daemon is not running by default. And even if they enabled sshd it wont work remotely because OpenSSH blocks root and blank passwords in the default config.

Retarded and halfassed Apple's part? Yes
A big risk for end users? Not really.

Tyrone knocking them out and jacking their MacBook is 1000x more likely to be an issue for mac users then this bug.

Right, which is why it is essential to encrypt your disk, and power down during transit. The latter part is to protect yourself against LEO searches, as Tyrone cannot extract keys from RAM.

Systemd is an init, GNU is the OS, and Linux is one of it's kernels. Use Upstart, runit, Openrc, or Shepherd as init.

It's the very foundation with negative cpu rings the OS doesn't control. And the memory sinkhole bug was able to exploit it on chips prior to Intel ME. That's the only critical thing for me, not that it was or wasn't designed for remote admin purposes. The hacker or cianigger doesn't care what it's called, so long as he can exploit it. They will use it for remote administration and just shrug while you claim it's not possible. Instead of getting indignant about semantics, you should be looking for hardware that doesn't have such high privilege areas that the OS can't control. Yeah it's tough, you have to go back quite a bit more than Core2Duo, or even switch to other old architecture. My 8-bit computers, and even my Amiga 500 didn't have anything exploitable like this. Every power cycle brought you back to factory default, and that's the only way I can really trust a computer.

rms pls go

That was a long bunch of nonsense, you sound really flustered.

It’s OK to be Jewish user, just know when to lay off the pilpul. SMM is not the same as the ME, stop trying to confuse the two.

Downplaying the risk doesn't make it go away. This paper cites at least a half dozen examples of SMM exploitation. Intel ME is just one symptom of the problem. Do you want secure computers or not? If so, you would do well to look for hardware that doesn't have such shenanigans as Intel's negative cpu rings along with writable firmware. Unless maybe 100% of it is only writable by opening the case and manually setting jumper, but beware of complicated architecture and long chains of trust, as those inevitably hide bugs.

There was a time when OS X was good. I used Macs around 2006-2011, and Tiger to Snow Leopard were really solid OS's. After the iPhone came out, they've totally gone to shit, and they deliberately cripple each product that comes out to maximize disposability. The OS has basically been reduced to an interactive baby-mobile in a shiny metal case. The only reason they haven't discontinued their Macs is because Apple knows that people will always pony up the shekels for more resolution/better CIA camera/thinner build/burqa emojis..

At this point they could literally go into any business that will net them the most profit using their vast hordes of money, whether tech related or not. For people still hanging on to the idea that Apple makes products for artists/productivity, realize that you're a dumb niggercattle goyim being milked by a company that hates you and calculates how quickly they can destroy your purchases to extract money.