How logical/realistic is it to attempt to join foreign forces with the YPG? Has anyone on leftypol ever joined the YPG...

How logical/realistic is it to attempt to join foreign forces with the YPG? Has anyone on leftypol ever joined the YPG? I'm pipedreaming about joining and curious about if it's a legitimately feasible option for an American with no knowledge of the area outside political/geographical type shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/05/26/first-images-emerge-of-u-s-special-operations-forces-in-the-fight-to-retake-raqqa/
theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/20/us-airstrike-allegedly-kills-56-civilians-in-northern-syria
ypginternational.blackblogs.org/
facebook.com/TheRojavaRevolution/?fref=ts
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There is a sizeable group of Westerners already there, you can take a look at "Lions of Rojava" on Facebook and they will give you some tips. From what I understand getting there is the hardest part, but it probably involves sneaking over from PKK controlled regions of Turkey.

Also apparently inexperienced Westerners (basically anybody without prior military experience) get to be glorified cops unless they really need troops. You'll probably be patrolling areas firmly under YPG control and looking pretty for propaganda pics.

This pretty much, you will be helping but you won't be some kind of badass. They might welcome you into the armed forces if you have military experience though. American troops are probably trained specifically for desert deployment at this point.

So would it be safe to assume that the YPG are acting as peacekeeping forces, or as the actual government in those occupied areas?

From what I've read the Turkish route is pretty much closed. Most westerners are going through Iraq.

Yeah honestly at this point my main goal is to just help out with a group that agrees with my values, I hate sitting at home preaching without actually participating within the movement. No military experience but martial arts experience.

If only the same could be said for the ISIS held part of the boarder. pic related.
where you reading to find this out btw?

Honestly r/syriancivilwar is a good aggregate for mostly unfiltered information. I know it's reddit but I find it pretty useful.

Is this the level that Holla Forums has sunk to?

They are Kurdish nationalists in name, but are easily the most ethnically and religiously tolerant political entity in their region. For comparison, the Black Panthers were black nationalist in name but were fervently anti-racist (and not in a hypocritical or Tumblr fashion).

What? The US is giving them tons of air support as they're the only people fighting ISIS who aren't Al-Qaeda or Assad.

Why this makes Rojava a bad thing is beyond me.

The only thing Kurdish about their names is the language they are in. About half of the area they control isn't majority Kurdish. This is a multi-ethnic movement.

The Black Panthers started as a Black Nationalist group, but they dropped it pretty early on (before anyone cared about them) and became internationalist Maoists.

Revisionists belong in >>>/gulag/

Nationalism is progressive, as long as it's goal is liberation.

As far as I'm aware, the US has been helping everyone but Assad, ISIS and the Kurds.

Because it's not PURE100%UNFILTEREDCOMMUNISMRIGHTNOW. The Kurds have to operate in reality which booty bothers ultras.

washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/05/26/first-images-emerge-of-u-s-special-operations-forces-in-the-fight-to-retake-raqqa/

theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/20/us-airstrike-allegedly-kills-56-civilians-in-northern-syria

Ah, now it's jogging my memory. They were giving far more support to groups like the FSA before and getting pissed off at Putin bombing them after asking for Russian air support.

It seems like the US is changing strategies a bit. They seem to be moving towards the SDF and only offering token support to the FSA. I think the international communities little love affair with the YPG is pressuring them slightly. The qts are working.

Putin bombing the living fuck out of their proxy forces probably made them seek out new allies elsewhere too. I lol'd when watching the headlines roll in for that one:

"Obama calls on Russia to bring air strikes to Syria"
Shortly after…
"Obama chastises Putin for bombing Western backed groups"

They did support the other rebels, but that program was seen as a massive failure that gave weapons to groups pretty much identical to ISIS. The only group they are still strongly supporting is the SDF.

There's plenty of indirect support to the other rebels though through our gulf proxies.

Next you're going to start talking shit about based Uncle Ho.

Not to mention that the FSA is getting BTFO at every turn whereas the SDF is quietly cooperating with Assad and kicking Daesh's shit in. Hopefully Assad won't turn on them once the war ends and they will be allowed to keep their own little autonomous libsoc utopia.

Saw a video of some "US backed moderate muslims" beheading a 10 year old they caught from ISIS the other day… That sort of shit makes it hard to back them I guess!

The special forces seen in the "battle for raqqa" was spectacular… They got loads of US guys to have their photos taken near the city inc. high level generals, "leaked" it all through kurdish social media, ISIS reinforced raqqa, drew in troops from elsewhere, then the kurds ploughed in to Manbij, and should secure the turkish border

What are the chances of putting a leftypol group together to go and fight in Rojava?

Depends on how many /k/ommandos number among us.

The SDF isn't cooperating, they have a very uneasy truce that almost blows up like once a month. Neither of them do anything for each other, the only cooperation is that they aren't fighting directly aside from skirmishes here and there.

Caught from the SAA, not from ISIS. Which is even worse.

KCK began as left-nationalists but they've basically dropped that from their program. They support Kurdish language rights and have a majority Kurdish membership, but they also support Assyrian language rights and seek the dismantling of all nation-states, not the establishment of a Kurdish one.

Count me in.

Don't join the YPG if you aren't ex-military. you'll just get in their way.
If you really want to do something, then join the Peshmerga in Iraq, they are larger, richer, and actually able to train you.
but you need to be in shape, and you should learn the language before you go.
Your plane ticket will be for either Erbil or Sulimaniyah.

But Peshmerga aren't even a leftist force - the KRG is dominated by a conservative, tribal wannabe-dictator.

Australian government considers it treason to fight for another army so any Australian that would assist would lose citizenship and potentially spend over 20 years in prison.

i think it's better if you organise in your local area trying to spread propaganda, gather funds and protesting things like>>830592

Ironically it's actually the other way around. Despite the KRG having far more resources than the YPG they basically don't take Westerners unless the are 1337 oper8ers. Basically the KRG is strong enough that they don't need help from outside apart from what they're already getting from the West.

The YPG is in a far more precarious situation so they basically take all the help they can get. Even if they don't have you fighting they still need people to help with reconstruction efforts, logistics, handling refugees, and the day to day administration of their territory.

#notmycomrade

They've been abused by Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Iran- they've more than earned their right to a nation that was denied to them by idiotic French & British map makers.

Anyone have that pic of the U.S. recommendations for the partitioning of the Ottoman Empire?

ypginternational.blackblogs.org/

'…the official path to support [the] YPG in Rojava.'

facebook.com/TheRojavaRevolution/?fref=ts

"Comrades, we are looking for Anti-Fascist volunteers from around the world both male and female to come and join the YPG/YPJ. We have a new academy established for Internationals and we are looking for good left wingers to come and join in the fight against Daesh. There is still loads of work to do! Please spread the word as best you can - we need left-wing solidarity with Rojava."

also

bumping for interest

Managed to get one.

KURD IS GREAT WARRIOR; ALWAYS CLOSE OF KNIFE

BUT TOVARISH HEFF YU OF MAKE THOUGHT ABOUT GLORIOUS PEOPLES REPUBLIC OF DONBASS?!?

That's a pretty awful comic tbh fam.