Has any american superhero comic ever dealt with the Iraq war?

Has any american superhero comic ever dealt with the Iraq war?

Other urls found in this thread:

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Iraq
marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Iraq_War
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I remember during the first Gulf War, Freedom Force got ganked by an Iraqi superhero team. Super Sabre got his head cut off, Crimson Commando got blown up, and Pyro and Blob were captured. Then they retconned that Arabian Knight, who had supposedly been forced to join when his wife was taken hostage, was actually working for the Pantheon and his "wife" was a Pantheon agent, and then they turned Crimson Commando into a cyborg, and then they retconned Cyborg X from Erik Larsen's Return Of The Sinister Six into being the Crimson Commando cyborg, and that was funny because he'd explicitly killed him off so no-one at Marvel could use him, being an early version of Superpatriot from Savage Dragon. One of those funny little stories that show up in the back of an annual to tie up some dangling plotline that's bugging an editor, but no-one else read it so it ends up questionably canonical due to later stories messing with it so much.

And of course Rob Liefeld killed Saddam Hussein in the first issue of Youngblood, but you couldn't really tell where they were because Rob refuses to draw backgrounds or do any research on locations or uniforms or hardware.

How many of the old war-origins of characters have been retconned to the Gulf instead of WW2 like Nick Fury, or Korea like Reed and Ben in The Fantastic Four, or Vietnam like Iron Man and The Punisher?

didn't that happen in one of the Iron Man movies?

I find it odd everytime we see superheroes in war its only WW2. We never seen them in Vietnam or the Gulf War.

Didn't Ultimate have Cap fight in the Middle East a few times?

Isn't there a Frank Miller comic that puts "Batman" in Iraq?

You're forgetting someone.

This counts?
To be fair, USA was a bad guy in Vietnam war, so actual non-ironic superheros shouldn't have fought in there anyway

If you count Elektra Natchios as a superhero, then BMB had her fought in Irag in her 2001 ongoing series.

marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Iraq
marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Iraq_War

Mostly Flash Thompson lost his legs and D-Man enlisted…

DC wiki doesn't have anything, apart from noting that although "Qurac" is a stand-in for Iraq, the DC universe also has actual Iraq.

I believe Mark Millar's unfinished War Heroes addressed the hypothesis of a superpowered US military being deployed in the Middle East. The last issue of what was supposed to be a six issue miniseries came out in 2009.

Didn't Bill "Unsolicited Opinions on Isreal" Willingham have Tim Drake parachute into the Middle East during his Robin run?

Holy Terror takes place in Not-Gotham.

I know in Garth Ennis' Punisher Max they had Frank fight in Iraq back when he was in the Marines.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't. Americans are traumatized by war and crashing planes most of them can't write anything but that.
All the fucking english novels in my local library is either high school rugby, crashing planes or an it's-like-vietnam–but-in-another-war setting.

Is the author's name William Wilson, or some variation thereof.

What? In Max, he's a Vietnam vet like always. He does have an adventure in Afghanistan.

I just want one comic about using superpowered people to fight wars and establish some kind of peaceful world. Is that too hard to accomplish? Not at all. But the big two won't be the ones providing it.

while we're on the subject, there wasn't a Spawn character who fought in Vietnam or some fucked up war like that?

Oh ok then. I remember reading some Punisher comic from the early 2000's where he was in Iraq and was merciful to some Iraqi terrorist but the terrorist tried to blow himself up and take the Punisher with him but his CO stopped the Iraqi terrrorist and explained why you don't show mercy to them. Maybe I'm just remembering a different comic.

Yeah. Spawn himself. And his assassin, both of them actually. The fake one and the real one.

Good ol' Rhodey Rhodes-War Machine lost two thirds of his body (and became a cyborg, he was cloned at the end of this run) on a vaguely middle eastern war back during Dark Reign. Does that count?

Maybe it was a tie-in with the movie, where they had Frank be an Iraq vet.

How about Watchmen?
Dr Manhattan
Adrian Veidt

That was in one section in a flashback. I mean a whole comic about them fighting a war.

That makes sense.