Reading thread!

What are you reading right now Holla Forums? I know you've got the time. Put it to use and read, read, read!

General thread to discuss what we are reading, ask for help on any particular passages that stump us and to talk about what reading techniques help us retain the information.

Other urls found in this thread:

theanarchistlibrary.org/library/monsieur-dupont-nihilist-communism
marxists.org/archive/marx/works/sw/index.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So I'm finishing up my reread of The State and Revolution.

I've been consciously working more on note taking, it helps so much. Nothing else makes an idea stick like writing it down for yourself. I've been reviewing after every chapter for note taking. Sometimes it feels redundant because the ideas aren't too complicated, but it keeps it in your head and gives you a short paper to read that will refresh your mind on the main points.

Mods delete this shit

y?

ANARCHY LIVES

Just kys fam

I recently started reading "The History of the French Revolution" by Carlyle, to understand how a conservative of the 19th viewed the revolution. Say what you want, but at least the book is well written.

But then I started re-reading "Notes from the Underground" again. Dostoevsky is life.

Just picked up a couple of Richard Wolff's Books, as well as State and Revolution. Currently reading Free to Choose just so I am familiar with Ayncrap ideas and logic. Just finished Conquest of Bread.

Also I'm just trying to be funny

Reading: theanarchistlibrary.org/library/monsieur-dupont-nihilist-communism

Just started The Ego and Its Own
Not even memeing.

I think you would like this pdf.

It's fun. A lot of the passages are fun to quote. They feel like things you could shout while you clenched your fist in a comic book.

Dialogues of Plato (just for funsies)
Zizek's Living in the End Times

and whatever trashy fantasy novel I'm on at the moment

Hegel's lectures on the philosophy of history.

It's shit

My favorite book, Vonnegut's mother night. Highly, highly recommend reading it if you haven't already

Started Reading Lenin's What needs to be Done? While going to read Imperialism the Highest state of Capitalism later.

Going to go back to Das Capital later when I read a bit more of Marx.

What are your favorite dialogues? Socrates is comfy.

I recently finished a brick of a book on counterinsurgency. It was a hard read because the author, Douglas Porch, didn't organize or structure the book very well. He also stretched out his points and had a lot of unnecessary remarks, some of them quite petty for an academic. At least he knew his literature. I dunno what the editor got paid for; clearly nothing.

That said it's very informative. COIN originates from colonialism; it's methods were forged in the colonies; and its litany of failure is no barrier to it returning once again so long as imperialism exists. Every time the West becomes entangled in some foreign occupation COIN raises its ugly head, brutalizing the population and accomplishing little but an extension of the conflict.

The French hold the world record for their occupation of Algeria (1830-1962) and it almost resulted in a military coup. French COIN directly influenced the US who were then entangled in Vietnam doing the same shit and failing the same way. The brits take pride in their COIN "achievements" like fucking up northern Ireland (twice) and losing Palestine, but are really just a bunch of wankers who couldn't hold Basra to save their lives. The Germans trialled their concentration camps and pre-lebensraum population displacements in Africa, not that they alone used those methods. And so on and so forth.

Everywhere COIN is used the costs are extremely high, but apologists of imperialism and disingenuous COIN theorists are ever-ready to gloss over the wider context and assert that the tactics were correct, and would have prevailed, if only they had more time, better implementation, etc. Porch takes the view that the best tactics in the world can't save COIN when it's completely savage towards the people it purports to save and blind to larger political and strategic barriers. He backs conventional soldiering with a solid strategy and clear political goals; COIN tends to appear when the latter two are nowhere in sight.

I'd post a pdf but there doesn't seem to be one available.

kek i feel sorry for you anarkiddies

Can you help me with a reading plan? You seem well read. Treat me as if I'm just being introduced to leftism but skip the most basic things like Communist Manifesto (also lessons from the Paris commune and the state and revolution, I just finished those rereads/notes)

I've always been told the reason I don't retain a lot of stuff is because my reading is all over the place and not structured. How do I structure my reading?

quit your ironic "i is so smartest" posting and visit >>>/marx/ lad

B-But I'm not ironically trying to be smart, I'm just not good at this and trying to encourage people to read with me.

I'm also not a Marxist-Leninist.

I checked the archive on /Marx/ as well and saw a few threads like what I wanted to ask with 0 to 2 replies as well and none of it seemed structured either, so I just assumed it was more of a place to discuss theory. /anarcho/ is much more inviting and welcoming to new posters.

Ignore

A great place to start will be at Marxists.org with Marx's works. Read the short list for beginners, found at marxists.org/archive/marx/works/sw/index.htm

To go alongside this, pick up either a university reading course* in the sort of subjects you think might interest you. If you're not sure, read about on Wikipedia, particularly the Sociological section, with the main thinkers. This should give you a general idea of what you want.

If you're just looking for an exercise in how to retain stuff, throw stuff down in a notebook. Try to look for casual connections and insights which bind together the content you're reading.

*Use Sci-hub.bz for the reading courses journals. Find the journal title, and its identification number, stick it in sci-hub, and you should have access to it.

Cool, thanks. I'll mess around with this reading journal thing, I honestly have no idea what to do with it, but I'm sure I can figure it out.

I love how you've posted this twice now as if I'm actually trying to be subtle about my intentions to shitpost this board into the ground and assimilate it into the milk shop gulag.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You can have it, just make it more often plz

It only saged yesterday fam.

I had something special planned for today because it's my last day on leftypol ngl

No need to a make a thread fuck off anytime plz

Sorry ;_;

What am I reading right now? You want me to be honest?

required reading :^))))))
no seriously, if you have no idea start here