What do you guys think of the idea of having a home server for spinning up VMs of random OSes...

What do you guys think of the idea of having a home server for spinning up VMs of random OSes? It seems like a fun project for learning some good sysadmin skills and just clowning around. What hardware would yall use to build this? What VM managers? has anyone already done this?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.brianmoses.net/2016/07/building-a-homelab-server.html
proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Debian + KVM. If you're considering anything other than KVM you're wrong.

How does it feel to a be a kernelcuck? Baremetal ftw!

lol this guy's desktop isn't a server what a noob

Please explain what's wrong with virtualization. Do you just enjoy having idle servers sitting around?

If this is just for dinking around and you don't need that many VMs running at the same time, hardware wise you don't need anything fancy. Probably any computer from this decade could do it.

Decent article on the subject:

blog.brianmoses.net/2016/07/building-a-homelab-server.html

I actually have an old AMD Trinity laptop in the garage. The screen is broke, but I bet it'd be a great host.

Kubernetes+Docker.

it's like you learned nothing from Next

So VMs are a thing of the past then?

The only reason I ever even bother to touch a full blown VM is when I need to spin up Windows for some god forsaken reason. Linux doesn't need it.

> 32GB ECC DDR3 RAM Good luck finding that now
> Proxmox: proxmox.com/en/proxmox-ve

Linux needs it as containers are extremely insecure. Real setups also tend to need different kernels.

Enjoy your rowhammer.

thats what the ecc is for

Might as well suck dick.

Centos and virtualbox.

ECC doesn't prevent it.

Bullshit

Qemu takes a shit every time I try to use it.

Fucking this. Proxmox works out of the box with a web ui but you can jump into a terminal at any time and see what is happening or experiment.

If you want to learn (((enterprise))) there's VMware ESXi, they do limited free licenses for this purpose.

If it's just one server then any GNU/Linux with qemu/kvm and some webinterface like kimchi on top works fine. Larger ones like oVirt are more fun, but are often overkill.

What's wrong with overkill?