You guys wanna talk about the Power Rangers? Not the new movie I am talking about the past seasons...

You guys wanna talk about the Power Rangers? Not the new movie I am talking about the past seasons. I was watching the Power Ranger marathon on Twitch and its great to catch up on my favorite versions.

It also let me rewatch the New Zealand seasons and ill admit the 1st 3 Ninja Storm,Dino Thunder, and SPD were great.

Ninja Storm is really fucking underrated people dismiss for its DUDE BRO attitude but honestly it's the best NZ season.

Saban, since getting the IP back, is making it better.
Samurai was average, Megaforce was trash, but then they pull fucking Dino Charge out of nowhere, and it's great.
Didn't expect them to make a team of 10 rangers actually work that well.

Now Ninja Steel started last month and I'm yet to watch it, but the synopsis and cast photos give me doubts. I'll give it a go like every other season, but the red ranger looks much older than the rest, and even the other 4 don't look under 21 years old.

So, is there any barrier to getting into Power Rangers or can I start with Dino Charge?

All Power Ranger series are their own individual thing for the most part so you can just jump into the latest series with no issue. Besides the cameos/crossover specials you will be good to go.

The first few series were somewhat in order.
Starting with Lightspeed Rescue, every season is standalone and can be enjoyed in any order.

Disney owned the franchise between Ninja Storm and RPM. Some say there was a clear difference in quality, but I personally think that people just remember the original series with nostalgia goggles.
In Space and Lost Galaxy are pretty bad.

Saban gets the franchise back in 2010, and the first season is Samurai. They're using a different model now: 1 season of normal Power Rangers, then another season with extra team members and shit.
Only reason I can think of them doing this is so they can pick between two Super Sentai series, giving them more freedom in what can be done (IE that Gobusters series with trains wouldn't work in the West).

Samurai was decent, Megaforce was a mess as they tried to do a giant Power Rangers anniversary season, and it got pushed into the 2nd season, which then forced them to adapt fucking Sentai Pirates, causing a great deal of confusion.

Watch Dino Charge and Dino Super Charge. They're the best the series has to offer since the mid-2000's.

Most dont have a large entry barrier it is a kids show afterall.

Some of the 90s shows that arent mighty morphin like In space,Time Force, and Lost Galaxy are alright. Dont remember Turbo and Lightspeed rescue a whole lot and Wild Force is dog shit. The first couple NZ power rangers seasons were great (Ninja Storm,Dino Thunder, and SPD) but after SPD power rangers sorta went

Not really outside of the Zordon era which covers the first six seasons. MMPR is iconic and adapted some of the best looking suits BUT the writing is pretty trash with characters straight out of an anti-drug PSA.

In Space
Lost Galaxy
Time Force
RPM

Zeo
Lightspeed Rescue
SPD
Dino Charge

MMPR
Turbo
Ninja Storm
Jungle Fury

Wild Force
Dino Thunder

Mystic Force
Operation Overdrive

Samurai

MMPR(re-edited version)
Megaforce

Is Ninja Steel bad? Fug me ded.
Samurai wasn't complete trash, it was just nothing terribly amazing and new; very formulaic and conservative.
Megaforce was a fucking travesty. I have never seen such a disjointed plot in all my years of loving Power Rangers.

oh yeah and then there is megaforce which is just a cluster fuck its a pirate theme but the gimmick here is that they can "loot" the past seasons power rangers powers its just bad

Nah, you've got to look at how it was made to understand why it failed.
Megaforce was meant to be a giant 20th anniversary season. The problem was they fucked around and tried to shoehorn in a proper plot alongside that, then the plot took precedence over the anniversary.
There was also lots of fucking around with trying to get cameos form previous rangers which set back filming.

Then by the time they had finished s1, they still hadn't done the anniversary shit they promised, so they moved it into Super Megaforce, season 21.

The problem there was that Super Sentai had moved on and decided to start another series in the mean time, which was about Space Pirate Rangers going around searching for a magical treasure on Earth and a few other planets.

So then, Power Rangers have run out of source material and are desperately trying to cram together a plot and still use all the stock footage of pirates and fit in all the props and costumes they have from it.

Dino Charge broke this mould by grabbing lots of costumes from both the series of Sentai they were adapting and other Sentai series, then actually looking at all the costumes and props and filming the vast majority of scenes themselves.
Costs more money, but is better for ratings, thus earning more money.

That description makes it sound like you're insulting the original sentai which is anything but bad. also you forgot the first part which is angel themed

Eh didnt Kamen Rider do the whole "use the past seasons heroes powers" thing first?

Kamen did it, but that's not what the series was in Sentai.
It was the 30th anniversary or something like that, so they wanted to celebrate the past teams.

Yes but Decade had an unintelligible plot that only had Kiva's and Black's original actors appear.
Gokaiger is a love letter to its' franchise and managed to get at the least one rep from every season to make an appearance, and a team made up of lovable rogues.

I sort of lost track of PR after SPD so im kinda lost after that and have only seen Dino Charge which is alright I would say. The twitch stream is on Operation overdrive right now and its terrible

Only seen a couple actual Sentai should watch those more but when it came to jap shit I always liked Kamen Rider more.

If you think Dino Charge is only "alright", the rest of the seasons will leave a bad taste in your mouth, except RPM.

Decade was ass but yes they did something somewhat similar.

I mean same but there are still seasons of sentai that are good and even better than the kamen rider they air alongside example: Zyuohger vs Ghost

For that to happen it usually has to be one being really fucking bad. Like Ghost is absolute trash. So of course the Sentai running along it will look even better than usual.

Ninja Storm was unashamed comedic season which for some reason I don't understand people didn't liked that much.

Really? I started watching it and looks like the same trash as Megaforce, which is sad because I loved the Megaforce costumes, same with Mystic Force.

Man I miss Kat.

I haven't seen this one in a while but IIRC it was a love it or hate it season.
Really? I won't quit it then.
I just remembered Justin, fuck you.
This low? I really liked it, it was a good sequel to MMPR
Damn shame. The directing was Fairly Odd-Parents tier of autistic.

I just remember that seasons like Lightspeed Rescue take a slightly older audience to be liked, like if it was made for the kids who grew up with MMPR.
I'm really liking the BOOM comics though, they're really good.

It seems that and excepting "Time Force" the more original and separated (And coincidentally the less budget) the season is from the sentai the better it is.

Honestly? I'm telling you it looks like the same trash, though I just started.

As it turns out the movie wasn't utter dogshit, the actors acted their asses off, and really carried the movie. Honestly the movie drops hard when they get into the suits, but gets better. Has the best/worst product placement ever, it depends on where you got your donuts as a kid.

Wouldn't pay full price for it, but it doesn't shit all over my childhood like transformers.

Also had a few lore things that made my dick explode like aliens from aquatar, and the Zeo crystals.

If were doing a PR/Sentai thread

What the fuck happened with this? I thought the consensus of this was a pretty good american kamen rider? I honestly wish we got more like it

Shill harder.

Dino charge is a huge step up from the shit that was megaforce, and samurai.

Honestly I wish we got more original IPs like the mystic knights. The acting and CGI were piss but I fucking love the suits.

Just watched it thanks to the stream. It's like a victory lap after In Space
I mean I only really took points off for skipping Go-Busters. the one season that pays lip-service to PR and Saban's just gonna skip it?
I know but the episodes that help set up In Space are actually decent and worth a view
All it had was Tommy and the tribute episodes going for. The rest of the cast is extremely weak. Frankly it really was only okay.
Pretty much. Though Time Force has plenty of original concepts that it executes expertly namely the main villains.

low ratings? I'm actually thankful Saban didn't develop Power Rider. Would've butchered Fourze.

Saban really should have just made his own thing instead of making a minor success off the work of others. But that's show business. Greed takes over sensibilities.

I can understand not wanting to create his own props, but what he should be doing is buying the costumes/props/plots from various Sentai and tokusatsu shows, then making his own thing from them.
The half-arsed adaptations are killing me.

But then we'd have to give him shit for butchering the suits. Which he does do from time to time.

I'd take Saban butchering suits/props over trying to adapt fucking pirates randomly in the middle of a series.

Anyone got the infograph for Sentai/tokusatsu series? I'm wanting to try something a bit more mature than Kamen and Masked.

Do you know what's the ratio of footage/original PR?
Last time I checked RPM was mostly PR and that's why the director got kicked out.

Lets thank the power rangers movie for one thing

It bought us the PR marathon on twitch and hopefully more Kat art

I suppose. Maybe Saban just isn't the right fit. Maybe we need a partnership with Japan and fans of toku in america to create something genuinely great that isn't pure cringe cheese like Power Rangers.

If you want different stuff, try GARO or Ultraman. There's a lot of toku works out there to choose from.

The silver lines on the green ranger's helmet were Disney's doing and the Titanium ranger, while still being ruined, was an american invention anyway so it's just ruining your own stuff there.

I do not. I was speaking more along the lines of the villains for that season.
the head writer was kicked off RPM which is unfortunate but he was replaced by Judd Lynn who is responsible for the best seasons of the series so the fallout wasn't as bad as it could've been.

Yeah adapting to PR is its own tradition now. Maybe if funimation was on it?

I REALLY MISS KAT
IT WAS ONE OF MY FIRST FAPS

Spoilering cause I don't want to open a can of worms but I'm curious, why isn't Kat an example of strong independent woman; knows how to fight and could direct SPD, but she doesn't care and would rather be a scientist.

I've watched Ultraman, but I'll give GARO a try, thanks.

If I had the money/time/knowledge, I would just go out and get the rights to something like Kamen, then adapt it as close to 1:1 as I can and sell it to Netflix as a mature Sentai series.

Commander Cruger was okay, people like Kat more because of how awesome she can potentially be, also technically Kat is more based.

In answer to your spoiler: Nobody knows shit about power rangers outside of the Mighty Morphin seasons.

and thats kinda sad really PR can be super shitty but it can also be great and in SPDs case it was a great season.

SPD also had the 1st featured female red ranger but she and her team betray everyone at SPD

>Spoilering cause I don't want to open a can of worms but I'm curious, why isn't Kat an example of strong independent woman; knows how to fight and could direct SPD, but she doesn't care and would rather be a scientist.
Also had a black dude that despite being a competent cop would rather be on the streets even if helping people, it was a positive example plus really understands the general mentality of the sub-culture.

Huh, you would think the only ones as autistic as us in the internet would be Tumblr.

FUCK YOUR MOTHER
U
C
K

Y
O
U
R

M
O
T
H
E
R

Wild Force was utter shit you beaner The dubbing made it somewhat better)

Wild Force is the same as Dino Thunder only has the tribute episodes going for it while the rest is preachy environmentalist garbage. OO is bad but it has the one time when former rangers come back that makes it almost bearable.
come on, user

BIG ANIME GOOGLY EYES

Meta is the only way PR can be great isnt it?

Only in the case that it's trying to be serious and dark but can't reconcile the extremely goofy sentai it's adapting

Jesus Overdrive is terrible would RPM save it?

I would just hire costumers who've worked on Kamen Rider in the past and a famed writers for the various seasons. Then make my own Kamen Rider for America.

Power Rangers isn't a cartoon.

That's a fairly good idea. You'd need to get the writers to tone it down for the beginning, as the west is ready for straight up Kamen Riders.

It's not allowed on Holla Forums, so everyone just allows it here.

>>>/autism/

what? Yes it is. Fuck off.

Of course it's allowed on Holla Forums.

Tone down in a few ways perhaps. But really the mindset would be to not be power rangers. We can still make a somewhat silly show but it can still take itself seriously enough to where you don't cringe every moment someone says something.

>>>Holla Forums

Well then there's the case that "/intv/"'s a Holla Forums meme board who can't never talk beyond "Drive", "The Thing" and /bane/.
Also not the guy you're answering too or OP but I too feel Power Rangers belongs more on Holla Forums for some reason.

Sounds like a Holla Forums problem. And I don't care what you feel.

live-action show not based on a comic or cartoon, goes on Holla Forums

Its a comic and in the same territory as The Batman 60's show.

Ignore and report him he's just a shitposter.

Is one going to watch the movie? I hear its not complete shit.

It's usually at 23k

As long as they don't over do it, though when they take it seriously like in time force it works well.

You're fucking idiot
Also Marvel played a massive influence for its current incarnation.

Don't you mean murder tier?

It is complete shit. Anyone who says otherwise is lying through their teeth or a casual moron who can't think for themselves.

He used his wild forceā€¦

You talking about the Kyuranger suit designs or the fact that Marvel and Toei's partnership helped shape early sentai?

Has potential

Probably both.

You know I actually would like to see a heavier set bike be used as a weapon. Rather than just a blatant new toy or device to get from A to B.

Great until they kicked off the head writer
No
But anyway here's a reminder of what we managed to avoid.

I'm aware of both there statuses.

Nigger, I'd buy Kamen Rider gummies if I could. A tiny Fourze burger would be my jam.

Eh, I think it took too long for them to start doing ranger shit and Rita's actress was awful. And I'm tired of hearing that Kanye song in everything.

I prefer Power ranger series with a smaller cast of rangers.

>>>Holla Forums

Holy shit so im using the stream to finally watch RPM.

This is fucking amazing the Scottish Ranger is top tier

Maybe now RPM will get the respect it deserves.

And?

Except for the main villain's dev.

Wait, what? They re-edited MMPR?

It was the first half of MMPR, recut with a new opening sequence and updated SFX.
It was so jarring with the old and new, I don't know why they did it.
I also don't know why they only did half of it.

They did something similar with the original Star Trek, replacing some of the models and effects with CGI. Looks like shit to me, but who knows why they do it. It's going to look awful in ten years anyway.

Pretty sure it was due to low ratings.

Overdrive was trash with the exception of Once A Ranger. It was some damn good nostalgia and made me wish they could have continued with the Adam led team.

It's just so impressive. How they dropped the ball so badly from SPD.

I think the most dissapointing thing was going from RPM to Samurai/megaforce/supermegaforce

Well there was a year of nothing between RPM and Samurai.

Does anyone find it ironic how apparently Power Rangers is banned from being shown in New Zealand? When some of the best seasons were in NZ

Ban was lifted when Saban made Samurai, from what I can find.
I assume that means all previous seasons are allowed to be screened now.

I think it's actually great. It's cheesy and silly and also has some awesome monsters and zords, and the fanservice with the old rangers is rad as hell. There hasn't actually been a Power Rangers season I've seen on the stream marathon that I've disliked so far, but I've missed a few seasons so I guess that isn't saying too much.

The show is rad as hell and the kind of cheesy, for-fun vibes are so long lost in modern story telling. Everything has to be gritty or super feelsy or some shit nowadays, and Power Rangers isn't having any of that shit. I've only been watching Megaforce so far, but I hope Dino Charge and Ninja Steel are gonna be cheesy and fun and have cool, weird giant monsters and stuff as well.

The best part of Ninja Steel is the pink ranger's Brazilian booty.

I can't enjoy any of it knowing the original stuff is a far superior product. Especially in just lines. Power Rangers is so fucking noisy and over the top. They dub in so many unneeded grunts and lines for no reason.

I see the appeal with some seasons though.

Oh? Such as?

Pics, faggot.

Fuck off Holla Forums

I just can't handle the writing, characters or acting.

I jumped in in the last 5 episodes and was just utterly baffled at how bad the deus ex machina was, like Gosei just randomly saying things like 'hey, ya'll have been brave, take this power that helps you beat this enemy'
how they have the pirate theme but never explain why they're pirates of all things
Or parts where they're losing then suddenly just get charged by the power of friendship and win. IT's not like this hasn't happened before, but most of the time it's justified by a powerup hinted towards earlier in an episode or something.

It just feels more jarring here for some reason

Sentai carryover failure?

I thought Wild Force was the best along with Ninja Storm. The wolf guy in Wild Force was really complex I remember thinking.

That was it. Megaforce wasn't thought out well, and they wanted to keep spending as little money as possible, so figured fucking up the plot was better than filming their own scenes.

The latin dub was good.

Really cheesy, animus was annoying, characters weren't as endearing as the ones in time force (not bad though), CGI was really iffy. It just ios average at best (apart from forever red)

Ninja Storm was good in a mid 2000s kind of way

>>>Holla Forums