Musk: LA Hyperloop 17 Miles Long ‘In a Year or So’

Musk: LA Hyperloop 17 Miles Long ‘In a Year or So’

The Boring Company founder Elon Musk posted this photo of the first 500-foot section of the Los Angeles Hyperloop Tunnel, which he says will be roughly 17 miles long "in a year or so."

trunews.com/article/musk-la-hyperloop-17-miles-long-in-a-year-or-so

Elon Musk’s Boring Company is already building a Hyperloop tunnel in Los Angeles that he promises will be 17 miles long “in a year or so.” Tunneling anywhere is a challenge, but doing it in one of the most seismically active locations on the planet is even more daunting. Once finished, the tunnel will reportedly transport cars and people at speeds in excess of 125 mph. Musk started the conversation about the Hyperloop tunnel Saturday with a tweet of a photo from inside the tunnel. Asked about how long the segment currently is, he replied:

Currently, the “405 Corridor” is a 17-mile trip that takes more than hour—sometimes several hours, depending on gridlock—to travel by car. With the Hyperloop, the trip would take less than 9 minutes.

Other urls found in this thread:

portalsoflondon.com/2017/07/02/the-woolwich-anomaly/
youtube.com/watch?v=u5V_VzRrSBI
nytimes.com/1997/10/28/business/intel-and-digital-settle-lawsuit-and-make-deal.html
washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/14/AR2008021401757_2.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What will be completed first: Hyperloop or Hurd kernel?

Hurd kernel for sure.

This looks more primitive than a subway.

So a private highway for the elite? I do not understand how this project is viable unless big bucks go toward supporting it.

portalsoflondon.com/2017/07/02/the-woolwich-anomaly/

Article sort of related, happy spookiween.

It's probably for the best, commie. Have you ever even used the public Metro? It's full of trash, trashy floors, trashy train, trashy people. That's what happens when you price your transportation for trash, Hyperloop will be a train for true scholars and kings. Not peasants

I sure hope so, that way they can all die in it because the idea of hyperloop is fucking retarded.

You wont be saying this when I'll be getting from Irvine to Lancaster in less than 10 minutes while you're still stuck in traffic on the 405 during rush hour, peasant

They just stay at home and collect gibs though.

Nigga, what? Elon Musk is just as useless as Steve Jerbs. Hopefully hyperloop believers will also take him up on the offer of earth travel by fucking rocket. Can't wait for SpaceX to have another fueling accident with richfags onboard. I'll drive a car like every other engineer I know, and no, I won't be rich, but at least I won't be a faggot that believed Elon Musk.

but SpaceX… it werks…

If it weren't for Jobs, there wouldn't be PCs, just mainframe terminals, and GUIs would have remained an abortive niche system confined to workstations. I suspect he became bitter during the NeXT years, and scornfully gave normalfags the future they deserved on returning to Apple.

Why do they all live in or near the valley anyway? It's stupid. Most computer work can be done remotely. You have all this technology, and they all get praised for being so great at technology, but people are driving to work every day just to sit their ass on a chair in the office.

You will stuck too due the water leakage thanks to the vacuum.

No it's not. That's a tunnel for his "cars on skates" project ( youtube.com/watch?v=u5V_VzRrSBI ), not the hyperloop.

Kek

Something about people not working slavishly for their company like Steve Jobs types would have liked. At Yahoo, they started ending their telecommuting program because most people didn't spend 16 hours per day glued to their work. This, of course, didn't improve anything, and it really just resulted in Marissa Mayer looking like a cunt.

What a lot of people don't get about being a software engineer is that yes, you do get paid more than the average American, but you're constantly being conspired against by the businesses you work for. They're always trying to find ways to make you work more for the same or less, or ways to outsource you. Not only that, but "sitting at a computer" is still work, and you still pay for it with your health, relationships, and sanity. The fact of the matter is that cunts like these run Silicon Valley, and they want to use up young programmers and throw them away if it's profitable. The bubble is about to burst, and you're going to find a lot of very talented, and very angry people that were promised steady employment that are going to be working much longer for much less. This is the future.

I think Elon Musk got a little too fucking high off his own farts. Seriously, these are the thoughts of a child.

Someone's desperate to distract from his terrible earnings report.

So what, your thoughts of a mature adult is superior to Musk's? I'd put my money towards people who are able to achieve more over those who have a lower limit of achievement.

Got data to back up those numbers?

Apple's historical importance can't be denied, they helped shape personal computers and graphical interfaces, but they were far from the only ones. Fine, let's say it took Jobs' guts and insight to say "we totally can bring this fancy Xerox invention to affordable home machines" - and other companies didn't have a Jobs. But this concept - a computer that anyone can use easily - is so damn compelling that someone else would eventually find a way.

I feel kinda cheated that Euros and the Japanese had such wonderful gaming platforms in the Amiga and X6800. I don't know how Apple went from a multitude of games on the Apple II to almost none on the Macintosh. Early DOS games were pretty terrible too.

Jobs had a weird "serious machine" obsession back then. The first Mac was monochrome because it was intended for work and colors were pretty much a gaming thing.

Which is funny because my dad had SuperPaint on his MacPlus and that's all I did on it. I remember my cousin bringing a floppy with the first jpeg both my dad and I had ever seen. It would have been better in color.

Steve Jobs is a faggot for bashing Xerox. The story is that when he toured Xerox Parc he was so distracted by the GUI that he missed all the other important stuff developed there. This nigger was literally distracted by a shiny bauble. Everything you credit Jobs for was done by Xerox Parc.

Jobs didn't bash Xerox's engineers, he bashed the management, who would gladly sell copiers forever, unable to realize they had something much greater in their hands.

And the GUI is not just some shiny bauble. Jobs was entranced by the idea because he quickly realized that every computer in the world would work like that someday. It was the radical idea that would make computers approachable by common people - without special training, without reading thick manuals, without memorizing commands, none of that crap.

The Apple ][ was a breakthrough machine, because it came preassembled, had video terminal functionality that worked with a TV, and a full BASIC burned onto the ROMs, meaning a customer had merely to buy an Apple ][ and immediately be able to Get Shit Done. It's possible someone else would have done it, and that they would've achieved the popular awareness to make it a successful product, but far from certain.

That said, if I were to point to something much more black & white, it would be something very closely related to Apple, but somewhat distinct: The 6502 CPU. In a time when even the cheapest CPUs cost hundreds of dollars minimum, the a $20 CPU was revolutionary, and it only happened because the Motorola 6800 team's was so insistent against management that it should be cheaper, when Motorola corporate ignored them, they quit and formed MOS to sell a 6800 clone at a fair price themselves. Here's a couple more points to consider: One, the first wave of 8-bit PC products using the 6502/Z80/etc barely existed in the 1970s, but the 68000 shipped in 1979, meaning if it was the M68k team instead that had revolted to form their own MOS Technologies, the 8-bit and 16-bit eras would've been bypassed completely! Two, while the first "integrated" (single-chip) CPU was the 1971 Intel 4004, the technology needed to create such a thing had existed since the mid-1960s, and the 4004 itself was only created as an incidental side-project in the development of another company's terminal console mainboard (which ended up using a discrete logic implementation, forcing Intel to look for other applications to sell the 4004).

The advent of the PC is very much an accident of history that could've happened decades earlier, later, faster, or slower.

Jobs (and Scully's after) anti-game disposition, and the Mac's b&w graphics (not to mention lack of A/V ASICs enforced by a legal settlement with The Beatles, no joke) certainly played a part, but the real killer was the lack of affordable developer tools. Early Macs were completely incapable of "bootstrap" self-development, relying on a >$10k Lisa for development, then when a native SDK shipped, it was the hundreds-of-dollars MPW, which further required hundreds of dollars of Inside Macintosh documentation. Other Mac SDKs like THINK C and Fantasm eventually shipped, they were still expensive and impenetrable for the time, amounting to too little, too late, for the sort of bedroom coders gaming relied on back then. While failure to ship a full Pascal/C/etc environment with the Mac was bad, far more harmful was the fact that no BASIC shipped with it. This was due quite substantially to Microsoft blocking the release of the (completely finished and ready to ship) MacBASIC developed by Apple, with the understanding MS would release a BASIC for the Mac, which they did (a disappointingly un-"Mac-like" product) far too late for it to matter.

As a result, it's unsurprising that the overwhelming majority of early Mac games were written in the only cheap rapid-development environment available, HyperCard. Which itself suffered from attempts by Apple to court 3rd-party devs by spinning it off into Claris.

I bought an Amiga 500 in the US, in 1991. It was pretty popular at the time. Not as much as IBM PC, of course, but still easy to find, and very affordable (unlike Mac's). Every computer store I walked into had shrinkwrapped Amiga software, and there were even some stores that specialized in the platform (I guess those were Commodore authorized dealers and such). All the big computer game magazines also covered Amiga titles. There were plenty of Amiga-specific publications too.
Then in 1994 CBM went belly-up, after a long string of bad management decisions. Then quietly the platform faded into obscurity. Atari didn't survive much longer either. And that was pretty much the end of the era of 80's home computers. After that the average person could only choose between expensive Mac's and boring PCs. And then Apple itself moved to Intel hardware...
What's even more striking is that just a few years before I bought my A500, I was reading computer magazines that covered dozens of platforms. It's amazing how quickly all of that disappeared. For a while I didn't care too much, but now that everything is botnet, I want off this ride, and won't buy another new Intel/PC thing ever again.
Pic was made on an A500 and came out in 1991, which was probably the height of the Amiga scene. The AGA chipset stuff that followed was a disappointment and not enough of a leap forward to sustain the platform. The engineers could have made much better products, but the management was both incompetent and corrupt.

This was a major cause for the downfall of other platforms, content to rest on their laurels while wintel slowly crept up to their level from the early '80s to ~1995, instead of releasing a steady stream of fundamental hardware upgrades and entirely new models the whole time. Apple wasn't as vulnerable, since the Mac relied on raw CPU power and unrestrictive software A/V I/O interfaces rather than inflexible ASICs like Commodore/Atari/MSX/etc, but Apple was still incredibly lazy about new mobo designs, for instance failing to update or upgrade from NuBus when it got long in the tooth.

Another major mistake by Apple, with dire consequences for other platforms as well, was the decision for Motorola to kill their 88xxx RISC in favor of PowerPC. This threw nearly every non-Intel platform (Commodore, Atari, Sinclair, Sharp, Nintendo, Sega, Namco, Sony, HP, Sun, SGI, NeXT, Apollo, Alpha, etc.) into chaos as they fled M68k to migrate to PPC, make their own RISC ISA, sign onto someone else's, or cave into Intel. This was compounded when various attempts to gang up with Microsoft against Intel (PowerPC's CHRP, Dec Alpha's FX!32 & AlphaPC, MIPS' Magnum/Jazz & ARC, etc.) all floundered horribly due to targeting the overpriced workstation market (where MS was weak against *N*X) instead of the commodity PC market (where Intel was weakest and MS was already dominant).

680x0 was CISC. It would have been a challenge with either 88xxx or PPC, and 68040 wasn't exactly on par with i486. PPC was the right move at the time. MIPS and PPC could have easily taken ARM's place, but SGI went belly up, and IBM was content to leech off US government funds. Now Freescale (Motorola) pushes ARM just like everyone else. IBM's OpenPOWER is too little too late, and I hope they rot. They've condemned the PC market to be Intel/AMD and everything else to be ARM. It would have been really nice to have DEC still around, but HP bought and burned it down just like they did their history. Oracle is doing the same to Solaris and SPARC. The only silver lining in these forced niche monopolies is that China will be world leader and they don't give a shit about intellectual property. I hope they bury Intel and ARM both.

I still think M88K immediately bum rushing Intel at full speed with all or most of the then-current M68K licensees would've been a much stronger prospect than crashing M88K and haltingly sidling up to IBM (who, remember, was the Evil Empire at the time) a year or two later. At the very least, it might've caused Intel to abandon x86 in favor of the i860/i960.

You remember those were all related, right? HP's own PA-RISC ISA was sabotaged by an HP exec named Rick Beluzzo, who created the VLIW EPIC ISA. Beluzzo convinced Intel to sign on with EPIC, renamed IA-64, and then Intel convinced others (IBM, SGI, Bulle, NEC, and even persistent rumors of Sun) to sign on as well, with one of the first to pledge allegiance being SGI, in large part because Beluzzo jumped ship from HP to become CEO of SGI, which he proceeded to run into the ground (SGI having bought MIPS & Cray a while before Beluzzo's reign, also damaging their finances, Beluzzo devastated both of those companies as he spun them back out of SGI) before leaving SGI to take an exec position at Microsoft. For the astute reader, Beluzzo's story may recall the later tale of Stephen Elop, who sabotaged Nokia, killing the last major opponent of Android/iOS/Windows Phone, the Symbian platform Nokia inherited from Psion, before gaining a position at Microsoft. Incidentally, Elop had presided over the murder of Macromedia by Adobe just before.

As this was happening, Intel had been caught by DEC stealing trade secrets while under contract to fab Alpha chips, but in the ensuing lawsuit, Intel somehow managed to negotiate a "settlement" that handed them all of DEC's own remaining fabs, swathes of Alpha IP, plus the rights to the StrongARM ISA DEC had jointly developed with Acorn and Apple. This severely weakened DEC, who then got bought by Compaq, in turn swallowed by HP, who nearly choked to death in the process under Sturmführer Fiorina.

At the end of this saga, regardless of IA-64 imploding in the face of AMD64, wintel managed to singlehandedly obliterate both the RISC workstation/supercomputer/mainframe market, and the various *N*X OSs that ran on them.

Musk got lucky and filled a niche. That's how he got rich from paypal. He didn't get to be rich because he pushed retarded ideas like the hyperloop or earth to earth rocket travel. That shit is retarded and anyone can see it. It's called hubris, and Musk has got it. If we're going to follow your line of reasoning, then anyone who has more money than you must also be considered smarter than you, no matter how retarded they are on the outside. Better stop questioning Obama, Shillary, and everyone like them because at least they've held high-tier positions in society.

Which they didn't really want to, but the G5 ran too hot and power-hungry. Since Apple's big money maker was notebooks, that was unacceptable. And who's to blame? Pic related.

Maybe IBM felt safe selling a fuckton of PowerPC chips for console makers, as all major consoles at the time (Wii, PS3, X360) used them. Catering to Apple, a smaller and very demanding client, did not seem worth the time and effort. But it backfired in the long run, as all console makers have dropped the PowerPC since, and Apple has become absolutely huge.

It was Apple itself that chose to integrate AltiVec on-die with the (legendarily cool-running) G3 core, eating up ~40% of its transistor budget and cutting yields/efficiency for an industry-leading but extremely situational (especially back before practically anyone else used vector instructions that much) performance boost in both the G4 & G5.

Further, almost immediately before the x86 transition, a company named P.A. Semi produced a new G5-class PPC CPU called PWRficient, that substantially outperformed Intel in laptop applications, specifically targeted at Apple. P.A. Semi ended up bought by Apple.

Aside from all that, the greatest performance hurdle G4/G5 Macs had wasn't actually the CPU, but the FSB, RAM, & peripheral bus, all of which were perpetually one or more generations behind due to Apple's unwillingness to design new motherboards.

You don't get lucky filling a new niche by being inadequately skilled. Being lucky is a matter of having the proper skills at the right place and the right time. There is always an opportunity to make your own luck by being prepared to make your own lucky time and your own lucky place. Well Musk has proven that he's got the skills necessary to achieve big things.

Hubris is a necessary trait of entrepreneurs. Nobody takes on the world's car manufacturing industry and the gas industry without an underlying understanding of the elements involved. It's not about the presence of cash in your bank account. It's all about having the skills to make your own luck that you start and maintain a business for years to come. Musk has proven that he has these skills.

So hey, in the matters of starting business, Musk is getting high off his own farts. It's obvious that you must have an accurate assessment of his skills.

Hurd's kernel has been mature since 2001. It's called GNU Mach.

Not going to lie, picture looks like low grade CG. Next Metro game looks more realistic.

I think IBM shopping PPC to console makers was an attempt to capitalize on the work they had already done with Apple. Wii was still G3 (PPC750) based because they didn't want to break compatibility with the GameCube. XBOX 360 and PS3 were G5 (PPC970) based. I don't think IBM had any intention to continue working with console makers. They can exist on fairy dust AKA government contracts.

This was a marketing tactic to get fanboys to accept the change from PPC to x86.
There was a lot of resentment by Mac users when Apple switched Macs from System 9 to OSX. Apple wanted to avoid this resentment. Instead that marketers used the architecture change as a selling point for all the foamy, rabid Apple fanatics to latch onto and spread their irrational virus to normies and take the bait.
IBM was producing G5's that ran substantially cooler than previous fabs, but Apple blindsided IBM with the switch.

sage as off-topic

Why is this blogspam allowed to infest Holla Forums? Where is botmod?

WTF? It sounds like there was massive corruption for intel to win when they were in the wrong. Smells like cianiggers tbh.

Uncle Sam was actually in the middle of efforts to roast Intel over antitrust issues at the time, and the settlement was widely seen as an attempt to take some of the FTC heat off Intel:
nytimes.com/1997/10/28/business/intel-and-digital-settle-lawsuit-and-make-deal.html
washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/14/AR2008021401757_2.html

Given the sheer amount of divisions and products Digital was divesting itself of at the time to make selling the company easier"increase competitiveness", and the legendary incompetence of Digital's management, it wouldn't surprise me if they actually thought Intel was giving them a good deal.

Oh, on a related note, after Compaq ate DEC, one guess as to which RISC ISA's devteam ended up sold to the Pentium slave mines to add SMTHyperthreading™?

Stopped reading right there. It happens all the time. We have plenty of examples of superior technology failing to something that is objectively worse, and yet it happens. You're deluded or an Elon Musk fanboy if you think otherwise.

That's hardly filling in a new niche. That's working with a me-too product. This luxury electric car by Tesla is very much a new niche.

not a surprise hyperloop and the boring company would be used to the same ends. two of the biggest complaints about hyperloop are thermal expansion and the difficulty in maintaining a safe and reliable vacuum. but burying it solves these problems, mostly. what will the critics say next.
musk super fanboy club (premium member)

That being burried means you won't have to pay for funeral costs when seismic activity inevitably breaks your shit.

Underground tunnels are actually one of the safest places to be during an earthquake.