The current model of filmmaking doesn't fucking work

Over the course of the most recent years, there have been two types of shows:
>Shows with complex, over the top storylines that regularly arc and intersect with each other, yet are cancelled during the middle of the climax, forcing a consolation ending (Legends though to be fair they ruined it by putting the twist in the very first episode instead of placing it in the finale Hannibal, Grimm, Sleepy Hollow killing the sheboon was a mistake, but using that character in the first place was a bigger one, and to a degree, The Walking Dead when you consider what happened backstage)

Shows are getting cancelled before their time with hackneyed endings that don't make the slightest amount of sense (hell, with shows like 24 the whole second half of Season 8 was a soft retcon on everything that had been building up since S4), whilst films are either not getting the sequels they deserve or getting sequels that nobody wants.

Way I see it, things should be more like the old days where you have to work your way up by directing adverts, direct a handful of small-scale pictures and crack your way into the big time, by which point you can ask for essentially unlimited funding. From there, in my ideal world, you'd get a three-strikes rule, wherein you make 3 bombs in a row the studio doesn't want to hear from you anymore, regardless of your talent or connections.

Similarly, shows should be reserved in advance (e.g. 5 season contract, anything more would have to be renegotiated after the conclusion of the fourth season) and even if a channel cancels it, they should still be able to continue with production, sending them straight-to-DVD instead, or hell, even releasing them theatrically like they used to with serials a long time ago.

Thoughts?

That will never happen. What if the audience dies off in the 2nd season? The studio is now forced to fund another 3 seasons of schlock and either air them, losing more money, or put them in the bargain bin in stores, which will never recoup costs.

Anyways, if the story is good, it will be concluded properly as the studio wants to milk it for money. Name a single example of a show that ended on a cliffhanger with high ratings and love from fans.

The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo
The Zeta Project
Samurai Jack (in its moment)

Crash incoming. Good for the business.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
When it ended it was highly rated, and was/is loved.
It also ended on a cliffhanger.

Sliders
Quantum Leap
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Star Trek: Enterprise

Nearly any and all FOX shows for the last 20 years

Forever
TerraNova

I can list more…
Also, first time poster, long time lurker.

The problem here is that the shows don't have storylines anymore. There is a starting point, but there is no ending point, nobody wants to go anywhere, just blurt out more and more seasons.

Just think about Babylon 5! Straczynski knew the starting point and he knew where he wanted to get in the end. If I remember correctly, they wanted to put the show down after 4 seasons, but he said he needs one more to end it. And he did it.

Legend of the Rangers was utter shit because it had no real purpose, it had no start and no ending. It just was. And series nowadays are all like this.

Who do you know of that has immediately gone into directing a big budget project? Most filmmakers have to start with microbudget short films to even get a look in. And the current model of filmmaking doesn't work for you, the audience, it works just fine for the studios.

The idea of having to have 5 series of 13-23 episodes as a baseline is so American. The Office ran for two series of 14 episodes, just enough to tell the story it needed to and wrap up everything neatly. Compare with The Office US, a bloated nine series of 201 episodes. In the U.K, to have a series of six to ten episodes is standard and it means that shows have to get to the fucking point which is good. The problem isn't that there's not enough time to tell the stories, it's that the stories are too long and producers play brinkmanship with getting renewed without wrapping up plot points.

Studios not allowing shows to continue elsewhere (even as direct to DVD or on SyFy or some shit) is greedy though, as in nearly all cases they never intend to do anything with the rights to it.

I see the American movie industry as being similar to the American video game industry during the 80's.
Everybody is copying each other, there's extreme over-saturation, everything is the same and everybody wants a piece of the pie.
I reckon in a few years the same thing will happen to movies that happened to video games, there will be consumer fatigue which will lead to a huge decline in the market followed by a renaissance in quality as new studios move in, similar to how Atari and Coleco were replaced by Nintendo and Sega.

Obviously your draconian regulation will (& should) never happen, but I think you already know that. Your model is a bit simple too, cop procedurals for example are thoroughly episodic for the most part, but also have seasonal or even longer term plot lines. I think the most soluble problem here is shows being dragged out way past their natural end, because they get good ratings. Hannibal felt rather like this, despite the 7 series plan that we were all assured was there. Presumably it was a very loose plan, or perhaps an outright lie. Kinoisseurs like yourself should be more active in criticising studios (specifically studios, not show runners, because it's ultimately the studio's decision) who maintain zombie programs for years after their natural death.

I hate anime, but anime handles it better.

Hell, sweet blog post. Hell, nobody cares what you think. Hell, you should buy a studio and start making shows, you know so much. Hell, you write like a retard.

Yeah, two or three seasons should be more than enough for most series. Just like it's people American TV is bloated, The Office is a good example, House of Cards is another. Even if the long running slogs make it to the end they often aren't the same show they started out as.

The guys who did Snow White and the Huntsman and Transcendence.

Terra Nova was garbage tbh

that was a neat cliffhanger and I'm not even mad it didn't get resolved

That's a very silly dog right there. He's thinks he's a plant!

What now, human? Do you feel in charge?

If I pulled that off, would you play dead?

It would be extremely playful…

Not really popular on release. Became popular once it was cancelled, which doesn't help the show.
You do know that The Zeta Project is actually ignored by many people when discussing the DCAU?
Had pretty good ratings, but CN wanted to try new things and Genndy didn't have a clear conclusion to the show. He only thought of an ending 18 months later, and the show never had more than 10 plot-advancing episodes.

Sarah Connor Chronicles dropped 50% in ratings over 2 seasons and went from top 30 shows to outside the top 100.
Also, there were issues with rights holders anyways.

Sliders wasn't especially loved and just staggered along. Dropped 40 places in 3 seasons and a further 50 in the next 2.

Quantum Leap got a mild ending, in that he chose to continue leaping and could go home whenever he chose. There's also a feature film being written, but that's in limbo.

TNG is a good example, but they did finish off with extra films.

Enterprise never had a good fanbase, mostly due to executives fucking up marketing, but even when they actually put Star Trek into the title, it didn't improve and only got worse ratings.

Forever had a drop of 50% between start and end, and it wasn't terribly good. I only remember women liking it for the MC looking good.

Terra Nova was good in theory but really dropped the ball in the later half with the plotlines. They never set a consistent tone. I'm not sure why this wasn't continued by the network, as it kept strong ratings.

Often times shows do get shipped around, but they don't get picked up as the new networks/producers don't want second-hand goods as they don't know what problems were involved for the original network to cancel it.

You're a good boy!

For you.

Married with children was good throughout all seasons.

>implying that the problem isn't the (((diversity)))

SAD

Only two of those posts are me.

The Next Generation never got closure.
Nemesis was a terrible non-ending to the series.

I believe the term you're looking for is serial. In a sense, we're coming full-circle because most mass-media fiction was serialized back in ye olde days. I'm not an expert in media history, but I don't think self-contained episodic content became the norm until TV syndication was invented. The outlets needed lots of content that could be shown at any time, in any order, without context. For decades, pretty much the only serialized television programs were soap operas, and people thought they were weird because of it.

(checked)
None of the Star Trek series got adequate closure, to be honest. It was always a series that needed to exist either in a rolling timeline like Batman or James Bond or simply in real time. By far, the absolute worst mistake that was ever made for the franchise was jumping ahead ~75-years for Next Generation (another crazy Gene R. idea that should have been pushed-back against). That show should have taken place on the Enterprise-B with the Generations film happening in the 80's in place of ST 5. This would have provided ample opportunities for guest appearances without having to rely on convoluted time-travel plots or age-ups. Star Trek VI still would have happened mostly as-is, only featuring the Excelsior exclusively instead of Enterprise-A.

Keeping Star Trek in a real time and you could've still been making one series today - called Star Trek - with the entire TNG cast and fucking James T. Kirk himself having walk-on roles reprised by the same actors with a new primary cast. They fucked-up and went full-retard over 'muh futurism' in crafting Next Generation though. What the fuck is it really supposed to be? the future of the future?