Why Christopher Nolan will never be Stanley Kubrick

Perhaps more than any other filmmaker in recent years, Christopher Nolan has a following. These so called "Nolanites" love to tout the brilliance of his films, and one of the most popular statements has been to call Nolan a modern Kubrick. Despite being a big fan of Nolan i've never quite understood this statement, especially considering Nolan's visual style does not have much in common with Kubrick's. But I think it goes beyond that, and after seeing Interstellar it finally clicked for me what the biggest difference is: Nolan's films lack subtext.

It really is that simple. For whatever reason, Nolan wants his characters to say exactly what they are thinking at any given time. If a character is mad at another character, they will state it plainly. The same goes for every single emotion. There is no misdirection, lying, innuendo, or nuance. It's as if Nolan wants to make sure we understand what the character is feeling and doesn't trust us to infer it by context.

This doesn't just relate to character feelings, but also to plot and theme. Look at the ending of Interstellar. When he gets to the weird Library near the end, we get it. We're literally seeing it happen. We don't necessarily understand how it's happening, but we do understand what is happening. Despite this, Nolan decided to have McConaughey and Chastain both state out loud to themselves what is going on, multiple times. Why? We already see what's happening, why exactly do we need the characters to awkwardly reinforce it by talking to themselves?

This is especially interesting when you compare this scene to the ending of 2001, a film that Nolanites have been trying to compare to Interstellar since the film was first announced. In that famous ending to 2001, Kubrick doesn't explain anything. He just presents it, and leaves the meaning up to your own interpretation. This forces you to think about the film and what was happening, and is key to why the film is so iconic all these years later.

This is night and day different from Nolan's approach to a similarly bizarre event. Nolan chooses to explain it numerous times, just incase we were sleeping I guess, and the ultimate result of this is that we get it. There's nothing to solve, and we leave the theater not questioning "oh what did that mean?" but instead saying "huh, that was interesting" and then proceeding to realize all the plot holes in the film.

I admit I was in the crowd of people that was really hoping Nolan would finally "grow up" and make a picture that treats the audience with respect, but after seeing Interstellar i've realized he's just not that kind of filmmaker. Which leads to me the "why that's ok" part. You know what? I really enjoyed Interstellar. It was a blast and one of the most enjoyable theater experiences i've had this year. Despite being 2h49m, which is actually longer than 2001, I never felt bored for a single moment. This is the great skill of Nolan…he makes the most enjoyable blockbusters out there. And I accept that. I no longer wish for him to "grow up", because I actually really enjoy seeing his films. Sure, I don't think about them much afterwards and I will never put them on the same level of the great filmmakers, but for pure entertainment nobody does it better right now than Christopher Nolan, and for that I will always be a fan.

Nolan lacks subtlety, not subtext.

Excessive posting of Nolan has only been going on a few days and I already hate it. Nolan is a hack. He makes films that are only a little smarter than the average blockbuster and gets praised for it. And you are right, the characters say out loud what they are doing, but Nolan believes storytelling should be done not through dialogue. So instead of trimming dialogue, he makes it garbled or fucks with the audio. Tell me this isn't retarded. And the simple stories are not by design, he thinks they are clever and can't stand audiences not knowing how clever they are so he makes it blindingly obvious.

So far he has made nothing that would really mark him as an amazing director. Unless he can move away from action, spectacle and simplicity he will never be a great director.

Tarantino has more creepers than this lad
If anything i believe Nolan has been reversing his skills, rusting them at a point of distrust when trying to unfold them
Following and Memento demonstrated he was a highly advanced director by his age and experience, but what happened? he made an unnecessary remake with Doubtfire and Dunk, which actually was a step down from the original
Then Batman started, and when he tried to flex his muscles, The Prestige, it resulted in horrid stuff in terms of casting and dialogue. The rest i can't speak, haven't seen them, Interstellar was pretty but generic in its center, normalfags hype anything

And let's be honest, i like to shit on Kubrick every time i can, but the man had something that is absurdly rare to the point maybe he's the only one that has it: A classic in every genre he touched
Crime - The Killers, World war - Paths of Glory, Sci-Fi - 2001, Modern war - Full Metal Jacket, Period - Barry Lyndon, Epic - Spartacus, Comedy - Dr. Strangelove, Psychodelic/Edgy shit - A Clockwork Orange, Horror - The Shining
Really, how do you compete with this son of a bitch?

He just needs to stop being drawn away from action scenes. You can see what a big difference is between the Bank and Plane Scenes and the rest of the movies.

I don't need to write an essay on why Nolan will never be Kubrick

Nolan fails or is mediocre at almost everything and stanley mde like 7 or 8 masterpieces in different genres that infused horror.

Because he isn't an irrelevant hack kike, but an anglo masterrace capekino director.

People have surpassed Kubrick in every genre but you are right, he is a real jack of all trades.

You're very, very new.

Because his magnum opus already surpassed hacks like Kubrick.

this is why everyone feels smart after watching a nolan film. the dialogue is so straightforward you'd have to be an idiot not to get it.

Can we stop pretending the final third of 2001 was high art already? All Kubrick did was drop a ton of acid and take a shit all over what had otherwise been a great movie up until that point.

2010 > 2001
Interstellar > 2001

Get rekt sycophants.

do you guys even try anymore?

Don't forget Redpill - Eyes Wide Shut

What do you think Damon Lindelof? Since you seem to think so highly of confusing bullshit "that makes you like, question things maaaan" you must be pretty smitten with him too.

unlike damon lindelof, kubrick could actually write and not have to resort to mystery box tier type of shit.

Just saw Dunkirk. The movie was okay but it really lacked depth. It really didn't have much wrong to it but like it had no plot. I would say it's most definitely worth the pirate but not worth the pay. Also I felt the ending was dragged.

This isn't strictly true. CIA was thinking about his stance when he introduced himself to Dr. Pavel.

Oh you poor sweet summer child. Cool your head.

Redpill is not a genre, brah
Plus the main protagonist went to be in a silly cult himself

>Excessive posting of Nolan
A couple of would-be oldfags like yourselves should know that Nolan is a hack who's only contribution of note is the plane scene.

Because he is already better than him

I'm doubtful that the jews will consider you a jew if you convert.
Plus he's already better. The plane scene is above everything that Kubrick did combined.

It's been excessive for quite some time, newfriend.

Well yeah but early crime-era Tarantino had actual raw talent. Most of his creepers come from the later -era hipster tino.

Nolan is a supreme craftsman though, which deserves some credit. His films though lack any kind of pathos (or something) you'd find with other signature directors.

Nolan is the best director ever, he just lives in a different era where idiots have a louder voice.

Then why all his movies are filled with plot holes and exposition?

Y-you don't understand.

Who created this pic lol

Here is a better one. Wish I had the image without the text.

Nolan is no genius, it's just the current movie climate is such shit.