Fellow Workers

Any other Wobs here? What's Holla Forums's opinion of the One Big Union and industrial unionism in general?

IWW is my waifu

that shit's cool

prefer the SEP personally fam but more power to you

That's the intro to that doc from the 70's, yeah? Great film.

we should remake this tbqh. any /lefty/cucks willing to record their voice?

I'm very supportive, and have been thinking of joining ASAP to actually do lefty stuff instead of just shitposting. I'm just not sure of the procedures for doing so outside the US - I'm a leaf. Do I do that through the main website, or the pretty much dead Canuck one?

I'm a wobbly in bad standing due to negligence caused by school life.

Also yes, I do. I even have an expensive condenser mic as well. Not very comfortable with my speaking voice though.

yeah, we should make simple propaganda

yeah, go to their website. I'm an snake-eating-eagle, I may join too.

gr8, we need 2 more peeps

Hello other wobbss

you drunk again?

Not yet. But you know, IWW could mean I want Whisky.

I'm interning at the General Headquarters in Chicago right now for academic credit with my school and I plan on writing my Political Science senior seminar on the IWW this coming semester. Currently slacking on the academic side of the internship but I'm so in love with all the work I've gotten to do within the union and am willing to answer questions about its current activities and/or structure as best as I can. I normally stick to lurking so I may be slow to reply or I might just be a fuckhead and not reply at all. Sorry in advance if either of those things happen.

The IWW is worth joining now more than ever, I think. It's still a relatively small union but there's such enthusiasm surrounding the idea of the One Big Union that it manages to get plenty (I think) done given the limited resources at its disposal. For those of you entertaining the idea of joining, I've gotta point out that sub-minimum dues begin at $6/month so if you're broke then the financial burden isn't all too overwhelming and, frankly, Wobs go into bad standing all the time and no one really cares all that much given the essentially interpersonal nature of its organizing model. The worst thing you can do is join and fade away without knowing what you're getting involved in.

The website's list of active General Membership Branches isn't quite up to date but that's being worked on and all that info should be more readily accessible once the database opens to more people. Most major U.S. cities host a GMB that meets regularly and you'll find that members are generally a pleasant mix of seasoned workers as well as enthused young folk. Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle, the Bay Area, and Portland are home to the most active branches and the Chicago GMB has rechartered as of May Day. There's also activity in the United Kingdom and Germany but I know less about what those guys are up to. If you're in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere then tbh there's less immediate incentive to join.

What I'm most excited about within the IWW currently is the Incarcerated Workers Organizing Committee, though. It's existed for around a year now and it's already grown to be the largest prisoners' union in labor history with nearly 1,000 members across the country, most being based in the south. A strike is planned on September 9, the anniversary of the Attica prison uprising. All of the organizing is being done through letter writing. It's really something.

here's a pic of a wob socking alex jones in the face at the rnc

as soon as i finnish school im gonna start a workers owned buisness, and have all of us join the iww

Not OP but if you don't mind me asking. What pros and cons do you see between the two

Not a Wob personally, but me and other folks that belong to the NLG do a lot of work with the local chapter

where are you based?

Any Wobs here in the Michiana GMB area? More specifically, Indiana. I'm interested in joining, but I've never seen any IWW action in Indiana. Is it a very active charter worth joining?

I've never really seen a single active charter anywhere at all. They only have a single jimmy john's in minnisota actually organized, apart from that I've seen it almost entirely dead.

Signing up with the IWW and getting that red card is a lefty rite of passage. Actual utility? Eh… Remember being a member of the IWW and another union is dual membership – which can be used against you by your mainstream union.

Does anyone know what unions specifically might have problems with IWW membership? I know of several members who organize with SEIU – public sector unions generally seem receptive. I'm a member of the UFCW, just not full-time so I can see why they don't give a fuck (that and because the workplace is hell and there's no way anyone would have the time/energy to stir shit anyhow). It seems like unions under the Change to Win Federation are generally more receptive than the AFL-CIO.