Video players in 2018

It's nearly 2018 and there still isn't a good cross-platform video player.
SMH TBQH FAM

Other urls found in this thread:

potplayer.daum.net
github.com/cmdrkotori/mpc-qt
youtube.com/watch?v=eDlf36jjfhI
words.steveklabnik.com/a-eulogy-for-my-20s
youtube.com/watch?v=Vu-gDXqQ5es
hooktube.com/watch?v=D8o9G5DeLQc
hooktube.com/watch?v=hirq60Ago0Y
codecpack.co/download/Xfplay.html).
enlightenment.org/about-rage
codecs.forumotion.net/t2644-mpc-hc-is-dead
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

vlc

Media Player Classic Home Cinema within K-Lite Mega Codec Pack for Windows.
MPV for GNU/Linux.
Mac can eat shit.

MPV is the only and final solution to the player question

Is this bait? The obvious answer is MPV or if you are incompetent use some front-end like baka-mplayer or bomi or GNOME MPV.

mpv. maybe vlc if you really enjoy the taste of cocks.

Is MPV that good? I use a MPC fork (black edition), it has youtube-like preview when you hover the seek bar, does MPV have that?

MPV is very minimalist, there is only pause and fast-forward/backward.

VLC

IT JUST WERKS X--DDDD

I used to be a vlc zealot (or mpc-hc with KCP when on winblows). Tried mpv and oh boy I like it, only has the stuff you need.

it does though

No. MPV is has a very minimal interface. Most things are done from the command line. It can do everything VLC can do, only it isn't in your face about it. Everything is done from the command line or config files.

Those are literally all you'll ever need on a video player. Plus, they work in most operating systems.
MPV also works, but only if you're extremely autistic about keyboard shortcuts.

It's nearly 2018 and you're using a fucking GIF file for the thread

You can run mpv in mac os.
sudo port install mpv
Homebrew is for faggots

its isnt crossplatform
(but it can be, code is freeware)
but PotPlayer is fucking good potplayer.daum.net

What? 95% of everything I ever do is on its GUI. Seek the video, volume up and down, switch sub track or audio track. If I watched videos in playlists, forward/back would beright there to. The only shortcuts ive remembered are , and . for seek one frame forward/backward.
I never did much more than that with MPC-HC or vlc either.

Recommending OSS is always good.

I use mplayer2 on every platform.

MPV is shit

t. brainlet

MPV exists on GNU/Linux and Windows, as well as OSX. You have no excuse, you piece of shit.

I mean, it's good, but MPV is a pretty good fork. I suppose you could pair mplayer2 with some other frontend or simply play it from the CLI if you're full Stallman.

Holla Forums hates VLC because they like being contrarian for no reason other than to be contrarian.

So can it do on-the-fly sharpening or dynamic range compression (I sometimes use VLC just because otherwise I have to crank the volume too high)

Oh, really?

And a botnet to boot:

But VLC exists.

Kill yourself.

This. It's simple and just works

SMPLAYER

When will you stop being so autistic about using characters instead of keyscans?
I'll never use MPV if I have to switch my keyboard layout every fucking 5 seconds because some autistic pajeet didn't code keybinds in properly.

did you bring this up on their gh?

SMPlayer is garbage, Baka is woefully incomplete and excessively "minimalist" to begin with. Bomi was the only MPV GUI that wasn't a burbling fountain of diarrhea, and it's DEAD.

Have hope, there's currently a Linux clone of MPC-HC under development:
github.com/cmdrkotori/mpc-qt

why don't you fork it and make it great again?

What about SMPlayer is garbage, user? It has lots of customization, and all the features a good video player should have are available. Also, what about Bomi was better? I'm pretty happy with SMPlayer as an MPV GUI, the only issue I've found is that it doesn't run certain URLs through youtube-dl so you have to do it yourself.

Cool, I love applications that really clash with my DE.

Unless you're an anime-watching degenerate VLC is all you will ever need. If you happen to be one, then quit listening to Daiz and use it anyway.

Why would you watch anime on your phone in public? VLC works great for early 20th-century avant-garde stage music which is much more obnoxious than onii-chan daisuki.

VLC is more than you'll ever need in not-video-related features but less than you want in a video player.

I recall vlc had poor colour correction, mpv does the job well and ffplay if you want the bare minimum.

I can't get poo in the loo tv shows dubbed in Vietnamese with MVP.

I am an anime-watching degenerate and VLC is all I've ever needed.

Alright, everyone seems to like mpv, but what about for just audio? Whats a good, audio player, and I mean strictly audio since not loading video data should make the audio player run faster right, or does it make no difference?

IIRC you can fix vlc's colors by turning off hardware rendering or something like that.
Still would recommend mpv instead though.

mpd.

You're both disgusting.

mpv for Windows and GNU/Linux
IINA for MacOS

mpc-be uses less drive space than mpv or vlc. mpv doesnt even have a gui but manages to be more bloated...
mpc-be supports madvr, better image quality than mpv. much better than vlc.
it also has bitperfect wasapi output. vlc does not
vlc is for normalfags that just use the most popular shit. mpv is for hipsters that think using keyboard shortcuts for everything makes them 1337. mpc-hc is objectively the best media player
foobar2000 w/ wasapi addon for music

should say mpcbe is best. hc doesnt have working wasapi

Nice bait, thanks pinkchan.

VLC has always been, is, and always will be
SHIT

Winamp it really kicks the llamas ass

MPC-HC is the best on window$. MPV is good in linux but sometimes integrated additional subtitle / audiotracks etc. which are "broken" fail when other players still can play them

Mpv is the best on all platforms

Tell me one thing MPV has that MPC-HC lacks.
Actually, I can say otherwise as MPC-HC has LAV filters, MadVr and proper system integration.
Best package for MPC-HC is K-Lite Mega btw.

Foobar2000. It's the lightest and most complete audio player since its conception.

what is this? the 90s?

Never heard of VLC?

All that shit you just named is just mpv, forked and made proprietary.

How many more years until they fix that bug, 10?
Also,

more like

fwiw, I still use mpc-hc.

audacious if you want a featured music player in it's classic interface then it's newer gtk interface.
moc/mocp if you have nicely tagged and titled songs but I hear all the cool kids use ncmpcpp.
You may want to research about how to deal with a NAS setup with music, using the NAS setup to set up a 'music server' and everytime you fire up a music player, it just streams audio to your computer and loads the files from the hard drive or make it play like a jukebox so everytime you jack in it gets a file and whatever.

Music players would try to skip loading the video track of a file with both audio and video, however if the video has only one frame it will try to load that as the cover art if it bothers to do that like more featured music players, then load the audio track. But I think you can configure mpv to skip the video with -vo or some shit with certain file extensions with some scripting. ffplay can also do that but that's low level / basic but not as basic as aplay if you want muh true minimalistic player, when really it's a tool for debugging purposes.

I remember using VLC back then and running into this bug. It seems almost nobody else using that software has ears because there was only ONE thread about it and someone replied saying it's a design issue in how they handle audio and that it will probably never be fixed.
Never used touched VLC again since, mpv has all I need.

fuck off retard

MPV doesn't use either LAV or madVR.

Yes there is it's called VLC.

I'm trying to watch a video with ASS subtitles with no defined size, MPV shits the bed and makes font size half the screen. How do I fix this?

Just press 'u' and it will render all subtitles with the default style.
You can define it in ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf
This is what I use
sub-text-font='Roboto:style=Condensed'sub-font-size=40sub-blur=0.8sub-border-size=4sub-color=1.0/1.0/1.0/0.8sub-border-color=0.15/0.05/0.15sub-margin-x=25sub-margin-y=40

what is vlc 1.11.1
what is vlc 1.11.1
what is vlc 1.11.1
what is vlc 1.11.1
what is vlc 1.11.1
what is vlc 1.11.1
what is vlc 1.11.1
what is vlc 1.11.1
what is vlc 1.11.1
what is vlc 1.11.1
what is vlc 1.11.1

You both are bakas, stop promoting that shit player.

Shit.

serious question:
why is vlc considered shit?

the last two mpv versions make it impossible to use dxva, they force dxva-copy which turns on the nvidia gpu and causes the fans to turn on so they are practically unusable

mpv has the most retarded app with the most retard defaults I've ever met. I have no idea why this board is so obsessed with it.

I add my vote for VLC.

A tech illiterate tries something hard and then comes back to trash.
If you don't like MPV, at least use PotPlayer, or MPC-HC, or MPC-BE.

Tons of alternatives, no need to be a nigger.

Stupid Windows 10 Used.

well?

This was already laid out, discussed and debated throughout the years, not only on Holla Forums, but on 4/g/ and everywhere else you find conceivable.
If every single newfag demands the explanations again, from the start, in the most sponfed manner (usually, they don't understand basic concepts), then I say: fuck you.

Why don't you search for yourself now, faggot?

no

also:
lol

Yeah, you're just sub-18, new on the Chans.
Here we discussed it many times already. It has problems with filters, containers, hardware acceleration and is bloated with bugs.
The most common of them all is the washed out colors.
Really, it's easy, just search it, I know you're able, or do you have down syndrome or something?

Not my screenshots

wow you really convinced me.

You're a living meme, outstanding.
youtube.com/watch?v=eDlf36jjfhI

i already said that you convinced me.

mpv runs in a bunch of Unix-like operating systems. why would you care if it doesn't run on shitty platforms like windows? I mean, why would you demand great applications but not a great operating system?

quod libet (or deadbeef to appease the foobar2k faggots), unless you despise GTK or GUIs altogether

quod libet's library and tagging capabilities surpass every other player, free or otherwise, by a mile and away.

no thanks

I'm not here to convince you, I don't care about you.
I'm here to laugh at you.

I didn't ever pretend, you're the retard here.

(checking my hitler dubs)

sure thing buddy. usually if you make a statement, you should have facts to back up what you stated. posting anime is not an argument, btw

That's why I'm fucking laughing at you, we had a thread about this 6 months ago.
Just shows how much of an underage newfag you are.

im actually your boy, steve klabnik.
here is proof that im not underage: words.steveklabnik.com/a-eulogy-for-my-20s
please continue embarassing yourself by sperging out because you cant back up your statements

Christ.
youtube.com/watch?v=Vu-gDXqQ5es

hooktube.com/watch?v=D8o9G5DeLQc
hooktube.com/watch?v=hirq60Ago0Y

anime is still not an argument though. maybe if you could post those video files, one could verify it, but i bet you cant. you can only post memes.
SAD

The only really cross-platform video player and so first VLC,
Second place SMPlayer.
Third Baka Mplayer.

If you strictly adhere to the UNIX philosophy then mpv.
Back when I used Windows the best video quality I had was from an obvious Chinese botnet Xfplay (codecpack.co/download/Xfplay.html). Any how I did not use it for long because like MPC-HC it could not play videos at higher speeds without distorting the sound.

I like Rage.
enlightenment.org/about-rage

Kek, nice argument with that 8 years old screenshot.

Would you guys use a VLC/mpv fork that doesn't play everything?

It would be the same player, but with reduced codec and media file support just to reduce the bloat and attack surface. mpv would be barely above 3 megabytes with the 30 most used codecs.

Maybe update that potato or switch off framedrop.

bravo, just use mpv

in what fucking sense of the word?
it's overly complex and full of features that don't belong in a "simple" media player.

So don't use those features. I have no problem loading files and organizing a playlist of videos to watch. That's the extent of how I use VLC.

Dropped.

I got my first bluray player working with mpv yesterday! I'm gonna start ripping them and watch my Mongolian Cartoons in freedom from DRM.

Examples for you. I'm also curious if someone has made a plugin like for this. I use mpv anyway now.

MPC-BE looks hideous with those borders, at least use a black color scheme or change to MPC-HC

This.

What about GOM Player?

The image and webm were made in 2013, you can see the date in the image. Also see the comment

When I used mpc-hc and even be, most of the time I would either be in the borderless mode or fullscreen.

Honestly, I want to find out if this is possible with mpv on Windows. I know in *nix people say that's the responsibility of window managers, not our programs. So I may be out of luck.

I can't post an example of what I mean since I don't have mpc installed anymore but image viewers like Impressions eyes and feh can display just the content itself like that and I have an example of that one. I think some people call this "chromeless" now too.

MPC-HC is discontinued, only MPC-BE is still actively developed.

K-Lite is continuing MPC-HC.
codecs.forumotion.net/t2644-mpc-hc-is-dead

mpv's owner is currently having a chimpout over the fact ffmpeg won't blindly merge patches to support proprietary nvidia encoding shit
because as we all know, the most important feature of a video player is transcoding and video editing

If FFMPEG is anything like X264, then yes, it's probably all their fault. I remember X264 was so buttmad over stuff like QuickSync he refused point blanc to even add an option to use it for parts of the encoder chain.

Also, tell the fucker he'll be able to complain only after making a decent GUI.

Bomi isn't a front-end for mpv. It's a fork of mpv.

Macfags and subhuman linuxfags can eat shit. MPC.

Wrong, there's Firefox, chromium, google chrome, IE all the browsers*

*Operating systems

Hasn't seen a single commit in 3 years

That's not true at all. The last commit was a little over 1 year ago. Huge difference. However, this is also besides the point. It doesn't just spontaneously stop working because it's not being actively worked on. I literally never have any problems with it.

why do you need a frontend for mpv? it works fine out of the box

It's not a frontend for mpv. It's a fork of mpv.

Works for me. It gets the job done just fine. A up to date fork of mpv, with more optional built-in codecs and a lightweight frontend would be neat though.

you mean keysyms, which are determined by your layout
you mean scancodes, fam. Scancodes can differ across keyboard models (even if they're the same language). Keycodes are independent of your layout, and are probably what you're looking for.
The only thing I'm not sure about with keycodes is whether dead keys (e.g. French has circumflex, diaeresis, and 2 accents) on a layout would affect keycode-based shortcuts.

Their entire defense for being cunts over this is "it's fine if nobody can build it, all our users are on windows anyway"
Like, what? Last time I tried to get a windows user to use MPV instead of VLC they couldn't figure out how to open anything in it and deleted it after 10 minutes

And it uses mpv's libs so it's basically the best of both worlds

mpv is the best on windows
it stuttered on linux because linux is shit

Please tell me you seriously didn't recommend CLI "software" without a proper GUI frontend installed to a Windows user and react with surprise when they couldn't get it to do anything.

but mpv has a frontend??

About the ffmpeg-mpv controversy, I suggest you wait and see if they break support for mainline in the release tarballs before screeching. Also, wm4 did us an invaluable gift by picking the mplayer2 hot potato and still not dropping it; you should at least try to understand his position.
ppsspp has/had the same problem, and honestly it's okay as long as it still builds with mainline.

Let me translate that for you: