How the fuck did Chrome become so slow over the years?

How the fuck did Chrome become so slow over the years?

It takes seconds to open and finish the initial UI paint (even more for the actual browser to be useful). Firefox used to be the slow one but now it's responsive as fuck.

What the hell has Google done with all those money

Browser threads have always been part of the board culture when /g/ started. When the oldfags came to Holla Forums it stayed.

absolute cancer. kill yourself

It's not a bad question to ask though, even through OP is a lazy fuck.
We need a quick reference guide clearly if dozen to these threads are created on the daily, it's that much obvious

Same way Firefox did. Bloat and feature creep. Problem is, everyone expects the web to do everything now, so it's kind of necessary. Honestly, I still think the net should simply be a document/file retrieval system, and said files should be piped to local applications on the user's system. But what do I know?

The problem with the WWW is that it was built for transferring text and data between universities.
Browsers have extended it beyond that initial purpose.
It's an arms race. One browser has feature X. Second browser competes with feature Y. Bloat ensues.
Is javascript necessary to POST? No, but WWW devs - if you can call them that - are mostly lazy and depend upon it.

let's not.

Most javascript devs wouldn't be able to handle a POST or even the XMLHttpRequest object for handling asynchronous loads, without the hand-holding of a bloated framework.

Fuk off

Web development is less about HTTP than it is about stuffing every connection through port 80.

You're not alone in thinking that, and I'm even more extreme than you: in my opinion only text and images should be displayed, everything else should be downloaded. No streaming of media.

Never used Chrome, but Lynx is still fast, probably even faster than before! Feels good man.

JEWS.

Does it really come as a surprise in your simple mind that browsers are something that people want to talk about?

Since browsers are the window to the internet that people use on a daily basis it comes naturally that it is a topic people want to talk about.

Sounds familiar.

How come nobody has made a C++ widget toolket with Skia as the renderer for making desktop applications?
Flutter exists, but it's all in Dart. Since Skia is written in C++, and is well maintained due to Chrome's use of it, I would think it would be a good base on which to build such a widget library.
Could be better than GTK and Qt tbh.

It's like these niggers have never heard of RSS feeds. Plug a magnet link to your video podcast feed. Congratulations, you have youtube channels without all the centralization and censorship.

>meanwhile the first web brower shipped and web was meant to be made with WSIWG html editor.

despite youtube having rss feeds for every channel, chrome doesn't support rss feeds. it's like they forgot their own feature.

A simple text editor doesn't require much. What makes bloat is when they started doing javascript to turn web browser into a virtual computer and shove everything in there. Even when javascript was only used to add optional "flair" like drop-down menus and crap, things were still ok because you could use any browser and not need bigass mozilla or chrome.

Google has been trying to kill off RSS though, they captured the market with their Reader, and then once most people switched to it, they killed their product and RSS in the process. Apple has been doing the same thing with Safari. They first had decent RSS reader, then that was taken out, then they buried some shitty RSS like reader in the browser, and finally removed it completely in Safari 11. It's almost as if RSS is hard for (((them))) to monetize.

More like RSS was always shit and it went the way of gopher.

gopher was the shit.
All directory and file access was hierarchical.
Easy to navigate.
Easy to maintain.
Licensing was its fall.

I'm posting on Chrome mobile now, looking forward to the hate..

I was around for gopher I used to finger Carmack daily and it was garbage. Veronica was always shit compared to archie and we continued using it up until the web killed it. Strangely, all the millenial tech pros who are giddy on gopher don't seem to recall archie. I guess whatever youtoober introduced them to gopher didn't mention it.
Also, ytalk was fucking awesome. I'm still surprised we never got a real replacement for that. There's a lot of information conveyed in how you type which made it a really unique thing.

Please, what is the better successor? Reddit, Facebook feeds?

Social link aggregators killed RSS. That's widely understood.

Right, so what was so wrong with RSS? The protocol? I'm not the biggest fan of XML, but it was simple enough, and got the job done.

It was the stupidest shit. Everyone grinding away polling websites to get out of date and often low value information that can only be made more current by killing the source. If it had ever caught on it would have been a disaster. Compare it to social aggregators where when there's something new and important you know about it within a minute and the information is always manipulated as part of a genocide.

Finally uninstalled Chrome today because Signal came out with a standalone desktop app.

Because google introduced something that should never have existed.
BROWSER OS

Wake me up when it can scroll a static page at 60fps, like Konqueror could do on my fucking single core pentium 4

I kind of have to agree, not quite that bare bones, but I hate the idea of using a wifi connection to do everything you can do offline. Much like a Chrombook.

Also

Servo is our only hope.

Why not something like DHT+bittorrent? Would solve a lot of issues.

NIGGERS AND JEWS

So what is currently the fastest browser?

Cliqz.

Firefuck Nighly
Enjoy your alpha experience

Firefox ESR

Konqueror 3.5

Browsers are all equally bad at what they do thanks to pajeets and their "features". I have tried so many and they all have problems but even the best of the best aren't that good. My entire OS runs great, other programs run great, the few games i play run great, try to surf the web and my shit feels like an atari trying to render a 4k video or something. I'm not even autistic with adons like most of this board, I cant imagine how bad it would be with like 10+ irrelevant adons installed

The WWW is like a goose being prepped to make foie gras. It's sickened, and it's entirely sickened by the bloat of """features""" built into web browsers.
Initially, the web did well for its intent of sharing data between universities through pictures, graphs, text, tables. When browsers started throwing in """features""" outside of the HTML standard, the tech companies just bought positions on the W3C and had the standard changed to allow those """features""".
It all started with JavaScript...

palemoon

The reason is simple. Firefox is written in Rust and Chrome isn't.

We need Netscape.

Firefox Quantum (57+) says hi. FF58.0a1 is smooth and responsive, at least on Linux where it's 64 bit.

Qupzilla you no brain niggers!

WAHHH TALK ABOUT LINUX

You're the worst type of Holla Forums autists.

triggered

Otter Browser

this

use qupzilla for a superior websurfing experience

ADD ON QUESTION

BEST EMAIL CLIENTS? (THUNDERBIRD IS MOZILLA TRASH)

prefer using on ubuntu
lightweight is a plus

Piece of shit that crashes every two seconds.

In tens of thousands of software install wizards you will find the following sentence already pre-checked.

[v] Yes, i would like to install Google Chrome browser.

after searching around i've found:
i may try out mutt i've been slowly migrating everything else to terminal anyway.

other anons suggestions are welcome, please reply to the redtext post on email clients.

Wrong.

THUNDERBIRD IS AND WILL REMAIN MOZILLA TRASH

He's right, ever since Netscape 6, it's been infected with the same "let's use our browser engine to do our UI" XUL bloat as Firefox.

Hasn't crashed for me yet with 27 days, 3 hours of uptime.

Nethack

The main problem with Gekko browsers is the perpetual memory leaks. I feel like I need "sudo killall firefox" bound to a physical button hooked up through a serial port sometimes.

Claws mail?

bump browser thread

are you fucking retarded? I exclusively use firecox and its forks. i've never even touched chrome. but what you described is exactly one of my main problems with firecox and its ilk

the current state of the tech industry is a complete shitshow, so yes you are correct. what do you want us to do instead, make threads praising corporations for their amazing products?