It Was Real in His Mind: Israeli Officer Says He Made Up One of the IDF's Most Iconic Tales of Heroism

It Was Real in His Mind: Israeli Officer Says He Made Up One of the IDF's Most Iconic Tales of Heroism

Col. Zvika Greengold received Medal of Valor for 'single-handedly destroying 60 tanks' in Yom Kippur War, but senior reserve officer says tale was spun to boost unit morale.

A senior Israeli army officer who fought in the Yom Kippur War says he made up one of the most famous tales of Israeli heroism in that war, in an effort to boost morale.

In a report broadcast Friday night on Channel 2, Israel Defense Forces Brig. Gen. (res.) Yair Nafshi said he concocted the story about how IDF tank commander Lt. Zvika Greengold single-handedly destroyed dozens of Syrian tanks in the Golan Heights in October 1973, holding off the Syrian advance.

Nafshi, a battalion commander in the 188th Brigade in which Greengold also served, said he created the story in order to improve morale in the unit, which had lost a large number of troops in the war.

“We had to rebuild [the unit] from nothing. What did you want? We needed some kind of story,” said Nafshi.

Another officer interviewed for the report, Col. (res.) Amnon Sharon – who fought with Greengold and was taken prisoner by the Syrians – said that when he finally met up with him, Greengold made no mention of destroying the tanks. “The public needs to know the truth, so I can’t remain silent any longer,” said Sharon.

Haaretz has found that Sharon made similar claims as far back as 1984, when his comments were investigated by the Knesset and the Defense Ministry. Consequently, the IDF decided to review the story of Greengold’s heroism. The IDF spokesman later issued a statement, saying that Greengold had honestly earned the Medal of Valor he was awarded after the war.

Greengold’s alleged exploits were initially reported in 1974 by Renen Schorr in the weekly IDF magazine Bamahane, Channel 2 noted. In 2013, in a joint interview with Greengold for the army publication, Schorr said he happened upon Greengold by chance while looking for magazine stories in the Golan Heights. In a 1984 article in the daily Maariv, Schorr wrote that claims seeking to undermine the story of heroism were baseless. (Schorr now runs the Sam Spiegel Film & Television School in Jerusalem.)

The headline in the initial Bamahane story about Greengold’s exploits suggested he had single-handedly knocked out 60 Syrian tanks. “The Zvika Force was no more than one tank that on its own repelled the Syrian attacks,” the article said.

Schorr told Channel 2 on Friday that he had been dismayed when he saw the original headline because he hadn’t wanted the story to be blown out of proportion. However, Schorr didn’t express those reservations when he and Greengold were interviewed by Bamahane in 2013.

Reserve Maj. Gen. Menachem Meron roundly rejected the claims made by Channel 2. “The story of the Zvika Force is not a myth but rather an act of bravery on the part of Greengold and his comrades in arms,” Meron told Haaretz.

After the war, Meron headed the committee that decided on recipients for medals and commendations, and which awarded Greengold a medal of courage in 1975. Meron told Haaretz that the members of the panel, which included senior, experienced officers from a number of units, were aware of errors and exaggerations that crept into battle accounts. They were therefore insistent on verifying and cross-checking their information, he said.

Only eight soldiers, including Greengold, received medals for their service in the Yom Kippur War. They were conferred by the IDF chief of staff at the time, Mordechai Gur, on the approval of then-Defense Minister Shimon Peres.

Greengold, meanwhile, has never made reference to 60 tanks and, over the years, even expressed reservations about what he called media “exaggeration” over the number of tanks he had destroyed. In a number of interviews, he said he didn’t know the actual number.

“Intentionally or otherwise, my combat was very significant in the course of [efforts to] stop the Syrian army, and my story is larger than I am,” Greengold said in 2013.

He didn’t respond to the new claim that the entire story was concocted. However, when similar doubts were expressed in 1984, he said: “They are trying to undermine and sully a story of heroism that generations of troops have been educated on.”

archive.is/9poxR

Other urls found in this thread:

cryptome.org/jya/traitor.htm
nytimes.com/2014/01/15/opinion/keep-pollard-behind-bars.html
nationalreview.com/article/421730/inexcusable-release-jonathan-pollard-tom-rogan
archive.is/7IjUH
archive.is/D2Pgc
archive.is/TGKqB
archive.is/ZWIuL
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

When I was in gradeschool we had a speaker came in and talked to us in the gym room. Mind you I grew up in a small white town up until I was twelve years old, but we ere all sitting in the gym room and he walked out, he told us this fantastic story about how he fought a giant or some bullshit.

He said "A show of hands, how many of you thought this story was a lie?" Everyone naturally raised their hands, shy of the couple class clowns, and then he said "No, it wasn't a lie because it was real in my mind, therefore it exists right?"

The rest is blurry, but I'm pretty sure he told a couple more stories and did some other shit and thinking back the kike was trying to blur our lines of reality.

Shifty jews, not even once.

Kikes are delusional and schizophrenic. The only kike I know that occasionally pops up into gatherings of people I know has this problem. He's constantly telling stories he thinks people will believe or even find interesting, but none of us are kikes and we know he's a liar so we just nod our heads then talk shit behind his back.

Yeah guys, where's my wall of text? Are you casul?

fuck of freech, no for real go take Oyyyboy and buttfuck each other with a live hand grenade

Its obviously copy pasted you low energy cunt.
This meme needs to die.

There is no such thing as reddit spacing, but there is such thing as bad text formatting.

kill yourselves

I'm surprised someone in the IDF actually came out and said it.

I'm sorry, descreet modanon, I will hide and report next time, don't rape my boypussy.

Fuck off.

This shit is tales from Great Patriotic War tier bullshit.

And 60, as in 6

The greatest oxymoron in history. It's faker than King David.

They love to lie. Love it

The only one I know constantly tries to talk about how tough he is and shit at local meetings.
He's a fucking furfag FFS.
He's a USBP kike trust fund babby who only got a job with USBP because he couldn't get a job with a real department. He calls himself a "cop" when he's basically an ID checker and checkpoint bitch.

do you like the idea of a jew responsible for checking IDs, checkpoints, and security?

have you ever heard of jonathan pollard?

cryptome.org/jya/traitor.htm
nytimes.com/2014/01/15/opinion/keep-pollard-behind-bars.html
nationalreview.com/article/421730/inexcusable-release-jonathan-pollard-tom-rogan

Jimmy Carter has really let himself go.

Oh ya this one is the same way. He's fat, has half a dozen health issues, but won't stop with the tough guy gimmick. He too lives off the wealth and connections of his parents. The funny shit is he's nearly bankrupt his parents with his constant degenerate faggotry.

REMEMBER THE 60 TANKS GOYIM

IT WAS 6,000,000 TANK DIVISIONS YOU ANTI-SEMITE

they just cant help themselves

If anyone should be wise to kike deceptions it's themselves right? Yet they never learn

Enjoy your dysfunctional rat-man race, yids. I hope you eat each other someday

Which only proves that Jews are insane.

Search for "Jewish Insanity"
Nuff said

If they would have used a picture of a niglet from the right era that would probably spread.

The jews suffer from many disorders so it is safe to say that most of them are clinically insane.

archive.is/7IjUH

archive.is/D2Pgc

archive.is/TGKqB

archive.is/ZWIuL

archive.is/ZWIuL

Too many problems within the jews blood.