ITT: We find examples of (((Planned Obsolescence))) and ways to avoid it

ITT: We find examples of (((Planned Obsolescence))) and ways to avoid it

Some obvious examples;
SSDs
Limited read-write cycles. Keep buying more goyim. Stick with HDDs instead
OLED Screens
Great contrast ratios right? Too bad they fade over time, on the magnitude of less than a decade, and has burn-in much worse than even CRT
Solution; Just use LCD panels, even if the LED backlight dies on an LCD at least you can still use it
32-bit time_t on Android devices with 64-bit processors
A lot of budget phones with 64-bit processors are still ran in 32-bit mode, making them prone to the 2038 bug. Android has been known to completely brick as a result as some recovery-mode kernels keep time synced with the main kernels and most time software on default Android roms usually stop counting time past 2036.
Not the point, it would be nice for my technology to not have fucking countdown timers on them. Unfortunately the only solution is to shell out for a flagship phone. Even on flagship phones the stock ROM only keeps time to 2036 as a result of lazy porting even if the kernel is in 64-bit mode with appropriate libraries. Custom ROMs like LineageOS fix this however
Lithium-ion batteries
This one is obvious. We have superior battery technologies in the development stages but they're not getting proper funding for ((obvious reasons)). John Goodenough, the inventor of the original litho-ion battery, for example, has several superior battery designs such as the Glass Battery, Sodium-ion battery, and even Potassium-ion battery
No avoiding these unfortunately. Just get those other batteries funded. Elon Musk was no doubt lobbied by his Semitic masters to invest so much in litho-ion shit. Musk isn't stupid, surely he was aware of the superior alternatives

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxpreloaded.com/
puri.sm/products/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

OP, you faggot. The 2037 marker isn't a sign for the end of the Android or some weird shit. That's a sign for the end of 32-bit UNIX time.

Otherwise, I agree with the premise of your thread

I take it you scored fairly poorly at reading comprehension in elementary school?

Most proprietary software are designed with this in mind

People who press the "New Reply" button without reading the thread first make great quality posters tbh

God I hate you Holla Forums retards, you killed this board. Companies that use planned obsolescence think in terms of financial quarters, how the fuck does a 20 year max lifespan help their bottom line? You realize 3/4 of those are real limitations of the current state of the tech, right? Do you even try to think about what you're posting first or do you type whatever bullshit you feel might be right?

>dear kek its a (((shill))) who doesn't want (((us))) to (((talk))) about (((planned obsolescence))) we must be on to (((something)))[email protected]#

please die painfully, OP

Anyone know how to avoid the printer manufacturer cartels? Are there any printers without a literal chip or piece of software designed to do bad after a certain number of print jobs? Why can't we construct our own paper printers now that 3D printers that can print 90% of the parts of other 3D printers are such a big deal? Is the ink industry the real secret to the monopolists' power?

Poe's Law is a real bitch because I honestly can't tell if you're really retarded or just pretending

If anything Planned Obsolescence is a lazy way to keep people buying shit. What about being honest and convincing customers to buy the latest products on their own merits instead of because the "current gen" shit is on a countdown timer?

easy. just put a microcontroller with stepper motors to make a CNC x/y colored pencil mover, and read in some data with a serial connection.

please spoiler bepis

My phone show 1970 after that date.
Good riddance.
I want Nokia N9 or samsung S5 badly, but this scares me.

This. Every modern SSD, that is not complete garbage, should last 300TB writes minimum. I do 3TB a year at max, now do the math. And thats for 100GB capacity, the higher the capacity the longer life SSD has.

It should scare you. I have a Galaxy S4, the interface is permanently burned into the screen and it's about 6/10th as bright as when I first got it. The issues with OLED are very, VERY real. It's the reason why I got an LG G5 as my next flagship, because LG hasn't caved into OLED shit just yet but supposedly their new flagships will use it

I want to pretend this is a joke.

are you sure lithium-ion batteries aren't Goodenough for now?

The joke was too obvious so you lose points for originality but you still get points for trying, 5/10 is the best I can give you

>dear kek its a (((shill))) who doesn't want (((us))) to (((talk))) about (((planned obsolescence))) we must be on to (((something)))!![email protected]#
perfect summary of Holla Forums
/thread

I'll take it, thanks sir.

Don't pat yourself on the back too hard. you might hurt yourself.

You autists are not going to dictate the minor ways in which people format their posts. This is like being one of those faggots who loses arguments online, and resorts to calling out minor typos. Whether you're actually retarded, or just pretending you're still a blight on this website.

kek

Why didn't space everything like a good boy user?

Just don't swap on it. These things will last forever if you're not retarded. Look at my samsung 840 smart data:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 100 100 010 Pre-fail Always - 0 9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 094 094 000 Old_age Always - 25726 12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 098 098 000 Old_age Always - 1904177 Wear_Leveling_Count 0x0013 095 095 000 Pre-fail Always - 50

It lost 5% of its expected minimum write durability in 25000 power on hours. At this rate, I have at least 475000 power on hours left until I reach the threshold. That's 54 years. 108 years if I were to have my computer on 12 hours a day. And these have been shown to continue operating beyond the threshold for quite a while in stress tests.

Sounds like a poorfag whinging thread. None of these are examples of planned obsolescence.

They wear out because of the fundamental physics and design behind NAND/NOR technology

Look really proper good, don't burn-in if you don't leave your screen stuck to the same image for hours, replaced by AMOLED anyhow

bad/lazy programmers

Are fucking amazing, keep your mouth shut

There's no way to actually be honest and get big. Purely because of competition

>>(((801984)))
found the (((kike)))

This is no longer true unless you are stuck with very early gen SSDs.
I have yet to experience LED backlight failure personally yet, the LED itself tend to be robust. I have however experienced delamination. Solution, look for monitors that has more than 1 year warranty, there seems to be a higher lemon lottery effect for those regardless of brands. Most monitors nowadays carry 3 years.
OP, while I share some of the sentiment of not supporting lazy planned obsolescence. Realize that a lot of the shit you are talking about falls in the consumer grade electronics category. Those have been near disposable tier trash due to bad design philosophy that goes hand in hand with planned obsolescence. Even if you have a long lasting 6 gorillion cycle battery, it can be made into disposable tier by soldering and bukkake the fuck out of it with industrial glue into the board and making it non user replaceable.

Anything that isn't a Toughbook, laptop wise.

OP here
Never had an SSD I want one for muh gaymes though
But I have experienced AMOLED degradation first-hand and it is very real. Most AMOLED panels look like garbage anyways with factory "color calibration" basically meaning "let's over-saturate everything to stand out at the Walmart display wall to draw in normalfags!" They are not meant to last

Litho-ion aren't bad, but you should hold yourself to a higher standard instead of praising mediocrity. Superior battery designs exist but nobody has any interest in funding them just because litho-ions are "Good Enough" No pun intended

OLET and Laser are already better technologies that are being put on hold.

Want to know how I know you only discovered chans sometime after 2014?

OP is so retarded it isn't even funny.

What happened to this place? Why does this shit thread have 39 responses?

HDDs have limited read-write cycles as well.

I have an OLED screen on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S and it's still like new.

This is the only part I truly care about in your thread. We need the new battery technology out already. Fuck lithium ion. I'm so fucking tired of lithium ion, it's inferior as fuck.

Oh man my mother right now is looking for another printer because of exactly the shit you've been saying. No matter what it seems to be impossible to get a printer that doesn't shit itself.

Lithium-Ion fails fast and is bad for the environment and literally every lithium-ion battery relies on a single mine in South Africa to be able to source an economically viable supply of lithium. It's fucking terrible and we need to move onto the new battery technology right the fuck away.

On paper they have infinite read/write cycles. It's only in practice where mechanic parts may fail. But even still it's not as if HDDs are on a countdown timer.
I guarantee you it's not if you ever compared it to a new OLED screen. Unless you run it at half brightness all the time, but even then that screen is not going to last forever. Again, LCDs will still function long after the back-light dies. With OLED you're completely fucked. And I seriously do NOT believe you on this one

They're all on a countdown timer silly. We're talking about physical matter. They all eventually die. There are people who have been trying to create hard-drives that will hold information and put them in time capsules so a hundred years from now people can retrieve it and access the information intact. Guess what? A thumbstick or solid state drive will probably last longer in such a situation. HDDs will die. So will SSD. That's just the nature of technology. It all falls apart. If you truly want your information to last forever, you need some kind of self-repairing (and if possible upgrading) robot, that maintains itself indefinitely, and is able to source material somehow for this maintenance.

I run it at full-brightness. The original Samsung Galaxy Tab S was an usually well-designed product man. The Galaxy Tab S2 is a few millimeters thinner but it's shit.

I maybe keep my Samsung Galaxy Tab S powered down a lot though and probably haven't used it nearly as much as other stuff so that may be a factor in its longevity.

I have btw a shitload of computers of all sorts including LCD screens and right now I'm typing to you on a very old LCD screen from the early 2000s with a lot of damaged pixels from when some water damaged happened a couple years ago but it's still working. The computer I'm using with this monitor is a 2007 computer but originally I had a different older computer connected.

You are literally complaining about the laws of chemistry and physics.
Done for compatibility reasons, there are still 32bit phones around which run Android.
People started buying phones with OLED screens over LED screens and manufacturers shifted towards them in response. You are complaining about market forces and manufacturers changing their products so they don't do bankrupt. But don't worry, I am sure there are millions of retards well informed people like you just waiting to be catered to with a brand new phone with an LED screen, so what are you waiting for? go start a kickstarter.

Seriously batteries and energy are the limiting factor in most of our computing technology today. We've advanced very far in terms of memory storage and ram but battery technology hasn't caught up.

Most of the weight and price limitations in our technology is all because of these fucking lithium-ion batteries.

Chainsaws and other power-tools, vehicles, phones, laptops, vr, and everything is going to be revolutionized if glass batteries finally actually come out to the public.

linuxpreloaded.com/

puri.sm/products/

I like these guys.

Wrong. Flash cells lose their charge over-time making them unsuitable for any archival purpose. They require power to be "refreshed" every once in awhile or that data is fucking gone. You're so retarded it hurts

I know that. Now lets say you're building a time-capsule user. You got to put your massive collection of memes onto something and you want it to last as long as possible... what are you going to use and where are your sources proving it's the best?

Magnetic tape

I would use neither HDD or an SSD. Blu-Ray M-Discs are specifically made for data archival and have a shelf-life on the magnitude of thousands of years. Even standard Panasonic Blu-Ray discs have a shelf-life rated at least 100 years which is already greater than SSD or HDD

Magnetic Tape is a popular archival medium but the magnetic nature of them limits their shelf-life as well. Blu-Ray M-Discs are the only real consumer option here and are relativelu inexpensive

Planned obsolescence ends where Moral obsolescence begins. Your Thinkpad works for 15 years strait, not a single dent, cool. But what about screen resolution? Graphics capabilities? Processor speed? Software gets bulkier and slower and new codecs can't efficiently work on older hardware because they are obviously designed for modern systems with new processor instructions and high-speed buses in mind..
Example: you could work with 256 colors VGA screen on 8 megabytes of video memory, but not with 10 billion colors 7680p screen. (don't try to feed me with me 24fps is enough-esque bullshit, more PPI means smoother curves and no shitty aliasing, more colors and fps are visible too)
Linux kernel gets bloated every year carrying lots of legacy and compability stuff, then there are memory-safe software writing and hardening practices, vulnerability patches, they all contribute to bloat too.

Lithium batteries are indeed kike-tier that pollute our planet, and Musk pushes production even further. I hear about meme graphene-based capacitors and all sorts of similar tech every single year, but those are still in development by le ebil corps.
As for phones, there is a solution. A group of developers are porting Busybox/Linux operating system to expand mobile phone life cycle up to 10 years. Postmarket OS

2010 advice

I understand you're underage and probably have only seen a record on TV. But vinyl records were always known for wearing out after so many plays. The fact a needle has to make contact with the groves already implies friction against the disc.

Biggest problem with amoled is not with burnout, etc. The biggest problem is that they are unusable even when fresh, because for some dumb reason they are deployed with dreaded PWM with low frequency and therefore there is visible flickering. On some devices like nexus 6p it flickers event at maximum brightness.

What's wrong with you, degenerate? Why do you think modern 3D imaging and laser technology exists? As far a I know, visible light does not destroy the disc topology even after 10000 reads.

it's literally just people who don't understand that everything breaks down in the end crying about how dur jooden are making everything break down.
Seriously, I challenge anyone itt to name me any piece of semi-modern equipment that's built tough enough to last even most of the rest of your life.
Also

I've never seen people who weren't open communists complain this much about exchanging money for goods. Either quit being a poorfag or stop drooling over tech fads and you won't have to be so upset.