I want to learn C well. The web is not helping much: hard to find references/tutorials. I have a job in web 2.0 meme...

I want to learn C well. The web is not helping much: hard to find references/tutorials. I have a job in web 2.0 meme, but I have a USB device with Winblows & Crapple drivers, but without linux driver, which I want to write. Can anyone recommend me some books or tutorials which teach me a to be a productive C programmer?

Other urls found in this thread:

libusb.info
securecoding.cert.org/confluence/display/c/SEI CERT C Coding Standard
gen.lib.rus.ec/
isocpp.org/wiki/faq/c#c-diffs
digimend.github.io/
blog.regehr.org/archives/1393
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Which device is it?

Speedlink Arcus drawing tablet. Got it a few years ago, but I never use it bc I got linux

it would be a lot more productive to spend $100 on a wacom tablet than to spend $1000's in man hours on writing a driver.

or just pirate windows/mac and dual boot for your art.

ここにゴミを捨てないで下さい。
Please don't throw trash here.

Read K&R then the CERT secure standard.

I don't art. And it's not about productiveness in general. It's about being productive in C, and the problem of one of my usb devices not being compatible with anything else than botnet OS. But thanks for tripping over semantics.

Thanks m8, didn't know about CERT

It is not worth the effort in my opinion. But if you insist, I eould learn it this way:

1. watch derek banas C tutorial series to get the general idea
2. go through Learn C The Hard Way, do exercises, but dont listen to authors advice, because he is retarded. still good exercises tho
3. Go through K&R slowly and do Daily Programming challenges at reddit (sort by top)
4. when you are comfortable enough with your skill, read Linux Device Drivers book, it is outdated by it will give you the general idea and help you research further

At this point you are looking at least a year of studying.

Are you wanting to distribute this driver? if not then you don't need to limit yourself to C. Writing the driver in userspace will save you quite a bit of headaches and let you use other programming languages like C++.

I haven't written any userspace USB drivers, only userspace drivers for PCIe devices, but from what I understand the process is far easier. Libraries like libusb should make things go smoothly libusb.info

its fairly obvious they tried saying "dont dump shit here" but retards think its funny they got dump/dumb wrong

It would kind of suck because the project would end here, but have you verified that it doesn't work on Linux? If it is a USB HID compatible device it might already work.

What programming language would you consider worth the effort, then? Suckless & cat -v made some good points imo. That & the low level attracts me to C. High level is so much "common sense", and mostly just werks.
Thanks for the resources & chronological steps, looks promising.
I have time so a year is fine.

If it works well I'd post the source code & ask for judgments on irc. But atm I'm not confident enough to imagine my shit widely implemented.
Thanks for the link!

I laughed, otherwise I wouldn't have saved it. Maybe I can make it up to you with pic related.

Haha yes, I checked a while ago. I wouldn't dare post the reason & model name if I hadn't done simple troubleshooting lol

By the way, you can read part of it here securecoding.cert.org/confluence/display/c/SEI CERT C Coding Standard

I would add Expert C Programming by Peter van der Linden after K&R C.

Any way to read the full book without having to sign up?

Ignore Holla Forums webdevs, C is the best language to know. I'd just recommend learning by working on other people's code where the project has a rep for good code and it's a healthy section.

gen.lib.rus.ec/

go2 library or thrift store and make de purchase on a bookabout linux programming and el c language

I'm learning with this book. I'd say it's very well written. It gives you just enough information to learn everything without treating you like a tard.

Read this [pic] then get lots of practice.

Read 'Expert C Programming - Deep C Secrets', it really gets into the mest of things

I've been doing C for 30 years and would teach you personally in exchange for sexual favors.

I second this. For all the shit it gets, systemd is very well designed and good to learn how to write idiomatic C from.

I'd not use systemd as an example of C programming. The code is largely gccisms and has pushed clang to adopt a lot of them.

gccisms are idiomatic C.

This Super FAQ is a good place to start for anyone wanting learn C as a first language user.
isocpp.org/wiki/faq/c#c-diffs

tl;dr

RhIDF please go.

digimend.github.io/
it probably already works

blog.regehr.org/archives/1393

o

Here's a better idea. Why don't they teach Ada and explain, in the same classes, why C is such a disaster? I already know why. There is a huge industry that depends on security consulting and other money-sucking wastes of time. Ada would actually solve the problem and C shills would be out of work.

The biggest C meme there is. At least tell OP to get a book written in this decade.

It's a good book. Almost nothing has changed with hardware in the past 40 years as far as a beginner is concerned so any low-level architecture book is still just as relevant as it ever was. Only advanced programmers are going to deal with things like vectorization and GPGPU. Most programmers never will.

The fundamentals of C hasn't changed at all. Anybody who studies this book to a good level is more than capable to find modern C syntax and libraries on the Internet.