How do we fix animation?

How do we fix animation?

It seems good animation for TV series' hardly exists anymore. Looking at some old cartoons is very depressing because of what a significant difference in animation quality and detail and liveliness it has compared to almost all modern cartoons.

Supposedly it's too expensive to do that kind of animation anymore, but is all hope really lost? Is there an art style that's easy to produce but doesn't look like the effort of college dropouts? Do people simply lack the skills to do proper animation because of insufficient education? Is it because it's "trendy" to do stiff noodle arm calarts trash and people actually think it's better? What are we missing and what can/should we do to improve the situation?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CQjruwkyOaU
youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE
8ch.net/faq.html
funnyjunk.com/Better than half chan/funny-pictures/5302582#804bb4_5302138
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMS_Entertainment
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Kill the jews.

Hopefully if Samurai Jack and to some extant Duck Tales do well, it'll send the message to the industry that people want action/ adventure cartoons again.

The Hebrews have gotta go.

can they finish star vs evil first?

Trips of truth.

There are better shows if you want to fap to "waifus" that badly, like kill yourself.

Agreed. The greed and meddling of the industry has brought down or ruined too many great cartoons. It's held back the potential of many others and forced shallow retarded trite down the throats of people. Cartoons can't even be taken seriously because of them. The kikes on high need to all hang. Then we will know peace and prosperity.

Holla Forums jokes aside, its mostly the old men incharge of the network, reading into some of the people working for studios, they'd be more than happy to work on a variety of genres, but its usually the network heads that get the last laugh. We can't forget the need to purge most modern day content creators, they're practically manchildren whose autistic enough to work in the industry. Genndy, Greg, Renzetti and others like them would be more than willing to work on projects but because either there's no interest, they have no freedom or the heads are too cheap Which is justified considering the wage increase season law, look it up they're just wasting away. At least Genndy is trying to improve things, Greg recently got screwed by Disney, who knows what the hell is Renzetti doing.

I just hope Samurai Jack turns out well and we can get at least that one last good out of it all before the industry crashes and burns.

>it'll send the message to the industry that people want more reboots of old shit
FTFY

I didn't say greed has to go, I said jews have to go. Get some reading comprehension.

Greed and jews go hand in hand.

Most cartoons are aimed at children so what children want, children get

The Samurai Jack continuation has a very small intended demo (Nostalgists and Adult Swim watchers)

All the good animation in the past was outsourced to either Japan or Korea. Outsourcing continues to the latter, so why the steep quality drop? I'm guessing because of the storyboarding and the processes through which the animation gets produced. You also have to wonder just how much animation expertise there is available when the industry has been outsourcing longer than many of the people working in it have been alive.

Having a target audience of children is really no excuse.

All this and more is what these cunts need to realize or they'll lose everyone completely to other mediums.

I will say.

Kids are stupid retards and their small brains CANNOT understand allot of differences in animation. They cannot understand bad from mediocre most of the time.

But they can tell great from mediocre. There is a reason why my whole class laughed at classic SpongeBob as a kid.

At the moment in a sense its animation monopoly. Because what's being released is mediocre to bad, there are no amazing shows for executives to point at and say "We need more of that".

Wishful thinking isn't gonna get any Jews gassed, as much as we'd like to meme it into reality.

So, how do we fix animation as independents? As consumer loners? Do we just go the way of Mike Inel and just autistically animate lewds until notoriety gets us hired or we magnetize towards one another into assembling a team?

I'd vote for team building and building up a name for each valued member that contributes. No one's gonna get anywhere on their own. You'll need help along the way one way or another. Forming a team of like minded people who enjoy animation could even improve individual skill.

Hey Reddit

When is this retarded piece of shit meme going to die?

Nothing. Go watch anime like the rest of Holla Forums

This exactly.

To fix cartoons you need to fix western art. Rid it of all the postmodernist, abstract shit that plagues it and bring back actual mastery of classical style and natural forms. Older cartoons were more disciplined and used more realistic proportions and natural movement, despite how stylized the art would be.

Nowadays we have a bunch of art students coming out of their liberal art colleges that couldn't tell Van Dyck from Rembrandt from Jacques-Louis David. Few of them even know how to draw, let alone paint, and an even scarcer number of them could be considered draftsman. The bar has been raised so low for what's considered "good" art that it's pretty fucking insulting.

Animation for tv was always shit with some exceptions.
Wasn't OP's gif from a short made for theaters anyway?

How do we fix Holla Forums?
Holla Forums on /a/ is an instant ban, what the fuck, man?

I think Frank Zappa sums up pretty well why we're getting less creative shit even with the hipsters running the scenes

If one guy can make a video game series big enough to have merch sold in Walmart, the interenet can be a breakout venue for indie anything.

Online learning circles. You don't need physical classrooms and books to learn. A good teacher/tutor is a great help but not strictly necessary.

Always a good idea.

They're being overly elitist to a degree, but it's not like we aren't being shoveled garbage compared to some of the stuff people import from Nippon.

You don't. You just make a thread on a board complaining how shit it is nowadays and realize you'll never be able to do anything about it.

Using reaction faces like this could get you banned for a week.

I just got banned heh.

Serves you right for posting ugly murifat potatoblobs.

But I like Ugly girls!

The more I watch that vid the more I love it. Based Zappa.

I was amazed by that guys work. The fact he was able to recreate Don Bluth's artwork so well.

Agree with your other points as well. Should we start our own animation studio or just have a network were we have our own projects but we help each other animate and if we make money we split it up accordingly or use something like Patreon or Paypal to help with funding.

but you just posted an ugly potatoblob

If Zappa was so based why did he kill himself?

Indie/wannabe indie animators should read about the production circumstances of Daicon III:

This is what they made:
youtube.com/watch?v=CQjruwkyOaU

And after that they gathered a bigger team and made Daicon IV which is still considered an outstanding work of animation:
youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE

Also consider that in 1981 a real anime fandom in Japan had only existed for maybe six years, home video was new too (vital for closely studying animation), and the medium had not yet fully matured. Why are people with the benefit of computers, the internet and decades of hindsight having so many problems?

Depression is a bitch and it was the 70's.

Lack of passion and personal connection, maybe. Looking at that story, it was made by a small group of people that were basically operating out of their friend's basement, DIYing everything they could to save money. That's the kind of environment that feels magical, you and your friends hanging out and working hard, keeping each other motivated.
Now when some one starts getting into animation it's with things like watching youtube tutorials alone, and collaborating with someone is done online. Neither of those things create that same atmosphere, and until a group of animators start working together in a physical sense you won't see something like that again

Guys, Frank Zappa died of prostate cancer.
I don't wanna be That Guy, but FUCK YOU LERN 2 GOOGLE.

That kind of shit would get you KILLED on /mu/.

kys

Shit, sorry about that. I was thinking about someone else.

Webm that shit nigger.

You must be from Germany or UK.
Here is the DAICON III. It is very good considering that it was made by six absolute novices, who also made their own equipment. Other than that is isn't anything all that great, but decent while very rough around the edges.

I could not get it to look good an fit within the file size limit, so here is a mirror link. Hopefully it will work.

webm nigger

Well, here is the webm, although it looks like shit due to filesize limit. This is the first time I have seen vid.me video immidiately blocked. Normally it works to mirror without triggering the takedowns or blocks. If you live in some shithole that censors and monitors internet so much that they even catch that, you should consider proxies or more advanced methods of covering your tracks and bypassing blocks.

Do you have a video that isn't for ants

How does the fuck does something like Daicon III even get region blocked.

*How the fuck

Yeah. Right here.

It doesn't, since there is no copyrighted material in Daicon III. He's just being a faggot.

Step One: Any resume with CalArts goes in the trash.

I guess there's always a need for physical interaction no matter how powerful the internet becomes.

If I remember correctly, those cartoons were made for movie theaters and shit like that since not anyone used to have TVs back then, am I wrong?
That's pretty much the difference, shit made for theaters actually looks good, with the budget and stuff. See how Disney quality drops whenever it have to do with TV.

Ignore and hide, that little triangle at the top left of a post is more than just a snazzy decoration.

Exterminating the kikes.

No, just go watch anime like the rest of Holla Forums

We need more animator anons kind of like how Holla Forums has /agdg/.

We do have but it's mostly just short animations instead of full cartoons.

Honestly I think it's easier to make videogames than proper animations.

There's more things involved in games overall, but the skill floor and monotonous grinding to make a decent animation is much higher than anything in game dev.

I think the webcomic general that cuckchan has is more similar to /agdg/.

fuck off

Where's our active daily webcomic creation threads, faggot.

That's right, we don't have any. Because we hardly have any people doing anything productive, unlike 4chan/co/.

Full cartoons require more time than short animations.

Have you tried making a video game?

kys

Technically I've already made one, if a shitty flappy bird joke game that I made for a jam counts.

I work on games a lot but haven't finished anything meaningful yet.

I already assumed that.

It's ok to be butthurt about it, but pretending that they don't get a ton more done than we ever could is just retarded.

Isn't it just a matter of sheer numbers? Holla Forums isn't that big, especially compared to 4chan which now houses people from all over the internet – tumblr, reddit, etc.

but beast was white, tarzan too

Andrew Dobson also gets a lot done. That doesn't make what he does any less of a waste.

Being proud of having nothing is a strange mindset to have I would say.

Quality/smooth animation stopped being a primary concern a long time ago. And outside of another economical boom period that'd enable hemorrhaging money, it's never going to be one again.

As for indie animation, the big stumbling block there is that all the advances in things like crowdfunding have outpaced people's willingness to actually put their money where their mouths are. It doesn't help that most campaigns are either thinly veiled pre-order campaigns with or just poorly prepped and planned overall.

We did one once, and it birthed truthseeker.

Most animation tools like flash aren't good for drawing in comparison to paper.

Dobs-devil's advocate, but the reason he even got popular on deviantTART in the first place was because he kept on spamming quickly drawn fanart.

It's funny that he had so much going for him (at least for a guy of his position) and lost it all through his own fuckups and petty insecurities.

user, you are blowing his "accomplishments" way out of proportion.

Nice webm

Well, it stopped being a concern as soon as cartoons moved from movie theaters to TV. But still, there was improvement in animation quality during 90s, thanks to outsourcing to Europe and Asia. But what happened then? Did gooks became more expensive or something?

Why do you think Teen Titans Go and Adventure Time are so fucking popular?

PS: That tripfag is a fudgepacking faggot.

They want something they could draw on their notebooks during class

Shit like this rustles me to no end. It's superb, especially when you consider this was all done by hand. In an age where we have computers with very precise and easy-to-use tools, there's no excuse for eastern or western animation to look as bad as it does these days. You have the Calarts potato heads, the modern Simpsons look…go on and on. It's gotten worse. And then you look at STILL ART, like some of the shit that Marvel's allowed to put to print, or virtually any webcomic…

I mean it's not like all the people who would to 2D stuff went into 3D with Pixar, most 3D is pretty trash too. It's like the flow of talented artists just suddenly stopped. Vanished. I watch good stuff and I feel elated, and then when it stops shaking my damn fist at the wall in rage because there's no excuse to have a basic level of quality with the tools that currently exist, let alone some of the stuff coming down the pipe.

Teen Titans Go Is spammed all over the network while anything better (a low bar) has to battle for breadcrumbs. If it's all the kids have to watch they're going to develop a taste for it.

For adventure time it's sunk cost. The pilot really grabbed attention by being a fun adventure cartoon that did whatever felt fun and cool in a particular moment. It lost that slowly as the series went on.

It's frustrating that the network axed Batman Adventures when they had enough episodes to run it in repeats forever, but they just keep making more Zombie Simpsons and Family Guy and American Dad FOREVER.

Jews have been making movies, cartoons, comic books, all kinds of iconic American entertainment for over a century. Seems pretty clear that their master plan is to entertain you. Is that so bad?

Cable networks love cheap disposable comedy and hate anything that requires investment to really enjoy, and also hate any show they aren't getting all of the money from.

Uhhh, I hate to break it to you but Disney Animation was pretty much in the shitcan until Jews barely saved it. The animation department was floundering directionless and about to dissolve under Roy Disney the airhead (see the profoundly shitty and rudderless Black Cauldron) and then Eisner and especially Katzenberg put together 4 megablockbuster 2D animation movies one after the other.

Just imagine - we could've had proper, anime-like animated action-adventure movies becoming an industry standard. Instead, we're stuck with Disney sing-song princesses and Dreamworks spoofing Disney sing-song princesses.

And any movies that try going against the norm end up utterly failing financially.

Emperor's new groove was good and Mulan had one of the best songs from any didney movie.

Also Treasure Planet, but the one that really breaks my heart is Titan A.E. ;_;7

There wasn't a market and the production was a mess. Western Animation is like a nuclear powder keg ready to explode and no one is willing to throw a match, either because they don't believe in it or see no money in it.

It really didn't need an animated series.

I liked it

To be fair a lot of the Disney movies didn't need cartoon series yet they made cartoon series for them anyway like with Lilo and Stitch. *I actually like that one somewhat*

Titan A.E. was pretty good

2 * on each end

damn right

Thanks fam didn't know they changed it.

buddy, it's been that way since the start
just say thanks and don't pretend

Really? I used the one * and it worked for me.

been using it for over a year bud
here is the newer version of the guide pulled from /test/
and a shitty one from know your meme
and the oldest pic of how to I know of, at least in the first few months since exodus 1
look up spoiler here
8ch.net/faq.html

I see now. I think I misremembered when it came to the on * then. Thank you fam.

and just for clarification, that third one is dated
09/21/2014 so I think it was around the first exodus to be honest
funnyjunk.com/Better than half chan/funny-pictures/5302582#804bb4_5302138

alright man, don't forget it's in the site faq

By giving all the animation money we have left to the Japanese and making them do it instead. Cue BatmanTAS.

did we really have the japs do the animation for that?

WEW

So you would rather have Liefield animate for us?

Defrost Walt Disney.

TMS was one of the animation studios

noice
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TMS_Entertainment

Too soon

Nah, that's after things go to shit

Businessfag here. Iv'e said this before and I'll say this again.

The only way to fix the industry is by changing the executive's incentives. In free markets, consumer satisfaction is at all time highs because the executives are incentivised to produce quality goods and services or lose customers to their competitors. We don't have a free market of entertainment, and television has never been a profitable medium for cartoons.
Why do you think Dreamworks spends over 100,000,000 dollars on their movies, but is too stingy to spare Voltron any shekels? Because Voltron isn't profitable itself, it relies on Netflix subscriptions, not people buying the show itself like they would with vidya and movies. Their movies on the otherhand sell relatively well, and thus they're willing to shill out their money on something that'll pay them back tremendously. Same people, but different attitudes towards two distinct mediums. The solution here is to switch to TVOD. You know, the way books, movies and games are sold? SVOD has the same problem with cable, as it's still not profitable to the executives and studios. If you want executives to give shows high budgets, make sure the shows themselves are lucrative enough themselves to warrant that financial action. No competent executive wants to throw away large sums of money at something that isn't going to give them high returns. It would be senseless for them to do so from a business perspective.
But even if you manage to jump ship from television and Netflix, you still have one major problem. And this problem is the reason Games and Movies have been complete dogshit. That problem is the lack of true competition. That might sound stupid at first, but when you think about it. There's a lot of popular IPs people love, and therefore they have high demand. So what's stopping the executives from going,
"You know, we're the only ones who can legally make works of these popular ideas people love, we're guaranteed to profit no matter how lackluster we make them, and it would be needlessly risky and stupid of us to invest time and money into something that's going to give us the same amount of profit as we would if we just play it safe. And even if people write us negative reviews, it's not gonna hurt us. When we have a monopoly, we're more than secure."
And that's the mentality of Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Disney, Fox, Marvel and Warner Bros. among others. They make shitty decisions because there's no one to compete with them. You may complain about their practices, but they couldn't care less what you think, they've got legions of fanboys who'll buy from them nevertheless. The same thing will happen to cartoons even if you got them off television and Netflix.
What would happen without copyright is that creators would be free to work with other networks if their current one screws them over or gives them a shitty deal. They'd lose creators to their competitors who would then host their creator-sanctioned works, the fans would buy from them instead, and the bad press would dissuade creators and new consumers from working with or buying from them. It would make executives treat creators with respect instead of screwing them and sitting on their ideas to never be used again or turned into franchise zombies, which are a result of copyright.
And on a final note, SJW content would be non-existent. Sales statistics from Marvel Comics prove that progressive garbage flops. Therefore, it would be stupid for executives to waste their time on those cucks. The progressive execs might, but they'd just be wasting their money.
In summary, once you start selling cartoons on TVOD and circumvent or abolish copyright laws, we can have cartoons of a quality never before seen in animation history. Budgets would be sky high due to the new lucrative business model, competition would ensure that the best creators would be chosen, and executives would be dissuaded from being the tyrannical kikes they are now. Just like any other thriving market.

double dubs confirm

So we need to destroy copyright law?

Hitler trips speak the truth. To answer OP's question though, the fact is you can't save the animation industry. All the old talent has been driven out, or has died out. There is nobody left to teach the new generation. Thanks to political correctness we're back at square one.