Krita 3.3.0 is out

Seems to be a pretty solid release. But it looks like the OSX version is starting to suffer because of Apples hostility to open standards.
krita.org/en/item/krita-3-3-0/

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Wacom-digital-graphics-drawing-painting/dp/B010LHRVOY/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
8ch.net/loomis/res/565.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

God these things are convenient.

is it still slow as molasses to use? Paint Tool Sai has always been consistently a smoother experience to use.

As long as you have a GPU with decent OpenGL support, Krita should work fine. Doesn't give me any performance issues with Mesa at any rate.

On all of my computers Krita is noticeably slower than Sai. Especially when using the stabilizer.

Sai is pretty old at this point. So it's no wonder that it's more lightweight; it's not exactly getting many new features anymore either.

Not to mention the fact that you should never rely on Wine for tools like a digital art program, so if you're not in Windows-land, Sai isn't really an option.

it's nothing

Scroll down to the part about OSX. Shit has to be gimped (heh) because of Apple's stupid decisions. That's the interesting bit.

I mean, I guess the Krita project COULD divert some funds to support Metal.

KIKI LEWDS

NOW

Furfriend here. Take it to >>>/fur/

I've used krita 2.9 with a gt730 gpu, and an i5, 4 gig ram with integrated graphics laptop. All loonix machines. The speed is ok for me, will move to 3.0 plus soon. The problem when I used 2.9 wasn't the speed but the stability. It does occasionally crash. If 3.0 + is more stable, and the text tools are getting better then that's good news.

Will you accept LibreOffice lewds instead?

The text tool is getting rewritten. Til that's done, I've just been using the one in Inkscape.

Looks identical to Kiki and really reminiscent of the boy and girl KDE-tans. Tan strikes me as a one-trick pony, and I get the feeling that he's only attracting any attention because of free software-related autism and muh precious CC-BY-NC license, rather than any talent or skill. Dude got lightning to strike once with Kiki and now his work is cropping up everywhere like weeds. Also, I can't think of a single reason that LibreOffice needs a mascot when it's got no free competition, unlike Krita (GIMP) and KDE (literally every other DE and WM), it's not struggling for an identity or marketing.

The guy is actually pretty good, but his LibreOffice mascot seems too derivative and uninspired.
LibreOffice has a lot of competition in the form of MSOffice, OpenOffice, Google Drive and WPSOffice. Not to mention the 500 office clients in Android.

Beats the dozen or so generic hummingbirds and Owls that are also in the running. Though that one Beaver is also good.

Personally, I like the design, but the question is how marketable it is. That's the whole point of a mascot, after all.

After all, the one thing that sells better than sex is cute.

Kiki wasn't his first success at making FOSS mascots though:

That's basically dead, isn't it?

It's a pretty shit mascot. Why would you design a character that you can't even make any sense of? It's way too cluttered and has too many ideas going on at once.

Poked around briefly in his deviantart page -- at least as far as I could without enabling javashit, because I'm lazy -- and all I found were anthropomorphic animals in the same vein as the work I'd already seen. The only thing that maybe is different is the mascot for Kate, but all I see as evidence of that is a thumbnail on the project's page, not a full image, so the jury's still out, but I'm still standing by what I said. He's good at what he does, but what he does is so narrow and same-y that I don't feel bad labeling the dude as a one trick pony until I see something proving otherwise.

Also, the free in "free competition" was there on purpose. It'd take Microsoft exploded violently for Libreoffice to have a chance at beating MS Office, OpenOffice hasn't been relevant since the original fork, Google Office serves Jewgle cocksuckers (and being online, serves a different niche, at least until the online LO project actually gets some traction), and WPS Office is proprietary. It's not like KDE, which competes with GNOME and XFCE and LXDE and the rest; or Kate, which competes with Gedit and vim and emacs; or Krita, which competes with the GIMP and some other small drawing utilities. Save for KDE, all of these projects are not only competing for brain space with the proprietary giants, but also with other (very prominent) free projects, whereas Libreoffice is the go-to free office software. A cute furfag mascot won't save you against twenty+ years of Microsoft cornering the market, but might get, say, someone using the GIMP to reconsider their choice of image editing software.

It's a paper-craft theme. Kinda makes sense for an office suite.

I didn't meant lightning striking in the sense that the mascot stuck, I mean lightning striking in the sense that it's popular. The KDE mascots have a bunch of "official" art but not a lot of fan works. By comparison, there's a ton of people drawing Kiki, probably because they know she exists because they've been exposed to Krita, and Krita is a thing on all of Windows, OSX and GNU/Linux, whereas KDE is limited to being relevant only on GNU/Linux and other free OSes.

He has done humans in the past, but says he finds them less interesting to draw.

Exactly what other kind of mascot is there? You're either getting this, a hummingbird or a beaver eating a pencil.

To be fair, you could say the same thing about Kiki.

Honestly, i think it's more or less the blocky artstyle that makes it look unapealing.

my main problem was it never worked on any display resolutions I have. my current is 1360x768 and I have a 1280x720 laptop. all the menu popups and shit i couldn't click because the windows don't resize/provide scrollbars intelligently

It seems ok at 1920x1080. At 768 and 720 it gets wonky. I have not tried this latest version but yeah, it really seems to require 1080p for it not to get fucky.

literally no one on Holla Forums gushes over shit like this

You mean Kiki or Appimages? Every fucking time there's a Krita thread there are at least half a dozen anons asking for lewds (and the ones who bitch are the ones who REALLY want to fuck her).

As for AppImages, these things are life-savers for people who like to stick to LTS distros. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to be stuck with the ancient version of Krita from the repo anymore. Sure, you can sperg our about 'muh Unix way', but you cannot deny the convenience.

Now might be the time to invest in a 1080p monitor. They're pretty affordable these days.

He won't find any there.

They're shit, but they're good for cases like th is where you want to install something dependent upon an entire desktop without making a huge mess.

I mean, Flatpak is better for distribution, but AppImage will always be more convenient for testing out alpha and beta software.

More recent versions of Krita aren't nearly as bad when it comes to deps.

inkscape is better

Comparing Inkscape to Krita is like comparing Krita to Gimp. Totally different use case.

don't feel like it. the one i have works great i love it. till i get a new one i have to use Green Is My Pepper which works on all resolutions

Have you tried MyPaint?

Krita is a digital painting program and the GIMP is an image Manipulator. There is some overlap, but they don't directly compete.

Technically, MyPaint competes more directly with Krita than the GIMP.

Apparently, this is the chibi version.

Where does fiji/imagej fall in all of this? And don't say in the street or in the loop.

Using it with a ThinkPad/Wacom tablet running Parabola GNU/Linux-libre. Fucking brilliant!

no I haven't. most of the graphical stuff I have to do I use inkscape for. which isn't ideal either. hopefully a good vector art program comes along on Linux soon

You mean GNU/Linux.
Linux is a kernel, which is a component of an operating system. A kernel is not an operating system in and of itself.

what are you retarded or something? operating systems running on the linux kernel are generally referred to as 'linux' for short.

Now you're just being redunant.

I'd just like to interject for a moment
What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

alright guys whos behind this epic prank

Too blocky and "edgy" for me and I don't like the half-eye-always-closed style.
Interesting. Has he ever drawn any lewds? Would he do commissions?

Simi-lewd is where he's comfortable at the moment.

It's supposed to look like paper-craft. Kinda makes sense for an office suite.

I use Krita 3.1.4 on my ThinkPad T420 and I have no issues working on such canvases as 4096 × 4096. Try disabling "Instant Preview Mode" (Shift + L).

kiki a CUTE

Indeed.

Kinda.

Me. Whenever I see Kiki I smile and go daaaaaaw how cute.

Are you sure that's all?

Maybe I imagine her wearing slightly less clothing

Too many angles.

Are the wacom tablets good? Should I get one if I want to start?

Different user but I use them with Krita on Lunix.

They're good. There are clones that have similar or even better build quality, the problem is the driver support can be spotty with some of the clones depending on the software and OS.
Get the medium sized one if you can, no need to spring for a cintiq or a pro grade model lines right off the bat. The medium sized tablet can serve a beginner up to advanced tbh.
You can get a cheaper monoprice clone tablet, but wacom is almost a guarantee to be a plug and play work out of the box. Whether that is worth paying the extra coin that's up to you.

Saved!

Most of the people start either Bamboo (some model similar to CTH-470K) or with one of the small Intus models like CTH-490AK. I'd recommend the first one.

Personally I use one of the more recent Inutos models. Shame out of all the desktops, Gnome Shell has the best support for drawing tablets.

We need to meme this rivalry into reality.

So are you into traps or furshit?

squirrel > goat

owo

Well, that's his art style. He can do other stuff, though, as evidenced by his 3 or 4 works with other artstyle.
Like it or not, LobreOffice competes against Microsoft Office. One of their goals is to get companies and governments to migrate from MSO to LO.
Is it an impossible task? Maybe. But it's not about how 'easy' the task is (otherwise they wouldn't have started the project in the first place), it's about doing it. The hard work and a polished free as in freedom product.

But she's super cute! I don't understand all these folks wanting lewds of such a cute and pure squirrel.

To be fair, Tyson is drawing her sexier these days.

There's just something about cute and lewd. It's a potent mix.

Degenerates want everything to be sexualized, be they faggots or furries.

Now that's some "edgy" stuff right there. I'm really not a fan of the one eye closed, it looks like she's chronically smug. To be honest, I don't even know if having a mascot for an office suite is a good idea; a drawing application is something creative, so a playful mascot fits, but an office suite is something rigid and serious.

Maybe, but as an author you should always use this for marketing.

The point of a mascot is getting people's attention. Having some boring hummingbird or owl doesn't really achieve that.

wait

continue

There's no mascot in ms office, yet it is still popular. Having childish like mascot is useless in office work software. It could bring up a false impression that it was designed for man children nerds and such.

You're one dumb nigger.

Except he wasn't, you low functioning autist. was comparing MS office to Libre Office, not MS Office vs Krita.

Pull the stick out of your ass, user. Having a cute mascot never hurts. Just look at Nipland.

Moar?

MS Office is popular today for historical reasons. I seriously doubt having a Kiki-like mascot would change it's popularity one way or the other at this point.

You really do have the reading comprehension of a nigger don't you.
was talking and quoting the part about MS office and Libre office comparison.
This nignog somehow thought was comparing an office program to a digital painting program. When it wasn't.
Then you came along and somehow out-retard that nigger with "durrrrr having a cute mascot never hurt heerrpppp". Stick to your Fagioli containment threads you latent abortion.

it all makes sense now

But user, it really never does hurt to have a cute mascot. It's science.

Pumpkin, no mascot can match your cuteness. Don't let anyone tell you differently.

MS might not have a mascot for office, but their OS and browser do. You really have to stop equating 'professional' with 'boring'.

This is my post, quoting , which isn't mine. The part that you seem to be focused on for some bizarre reason and now blathering about
as if you are some Newtonian scientist who just discovered the moe law of gravity because you post a pic of the Yuu&Ai twins and the browser slut instead of Nanami or even Claudia, you disgusting no taste having weeaboo wannabe. I thought furfaggotry is the lowest, but good job on proving that wrong.
And you really need to stop opening your yap like a nigger who is functionally illiterate. Do you know why
is a stupid misinterpretation by a nigger in this thread. Yet you still continue to somehow read pointing out that mistake as
Do you even use Krita, or are you just here to dazzle people with how cute your prom dress is.

Libbie is currently way ahead in the votes. Thought you'd like to know that.

Alright enough of your autism. Try to keep the topic on Krita. LO and any potential mascots can have their own thread.

I guess it's better than the fagioli cancer that keeps getting posted.

I don't even think the user is really upset so much as they're trying too hard to fit in.

all me lol

I take it back, this user is just a faggot.

Two out of five, nignog.

lists 4
Wew.

You counted yourself again in the post moron.

You can do whatever counting method that helps you sleep at night, you cutie patootie. You're #1 in the cute poll and that's all that matters.

I'm just going to stop replying to you and bury your comments in Kiki posts.

Pretty cool and goes well with the welcome screen of LO, but it's a bit too Kiki-like.

Checked out my local Best Buy (yeah yeah, I know) and the only ones they had were some INTUOS tabs and large wacom ones. Like only 4 to pick from.

This thread is getting gassed.

Just embrace Kiki and her cute fluffy body, user.

Wacom changed the naming scheme some years back, into something needlessly confusing. It used to be:
If you go further back there was other name lines but it's usually consistent that Intuos was their pro line name. That's changed to:

Just look for either Intuos (without the Pro designation) medium sized, or Bamboo medium size. Sometimes they will have the added Pen & Touch designation, it doesn't matter as long as the size is medium and the price is somewhere between 170-200$ depending on where you are.
Example
amazon.com/Wacom-digital-graphics-drawing-painting/dp/B010LHRVOY/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
The important specs:
Item Dimensions L x W x H 10.75 x 0.25 x 8.5 inches
Unless you absolutely need the wireless version, just go with wired and save some money.

Alternative nibs material if you run out of the official wacom pen nibs and holds up equal or better to the official nibs at a cheaper price. Lawn trimmer line, check the diameter for your specific model. I bought a .065" ROUND trimmer line that works perfectly as a pen nib for a Bamboo Small tablet. Thanks to /loomis/ for the tablet tricks and hints. Pic related.
8ch.net/loomis/res/565.html

TL;DR
The tablet's Active Area size is more important than very high level of pressure sensitivity, 512 to 1024 is honestly good enough even for a lot of pros.

If you are on loonix, it's usually safer bet in terms of plug and play to get the wacom but it's more expensive.

If you are on wangblows, you might be able to work with cheaper alternate brands like HUION or Monoprice.

Another option is used wacoms if you are on a very tight budget.

Trisquel GNU/Linux user, and will check out best buy in the morning. I think one of the models was $69.99 and the large wacom tablets were $350. Thanks a bunch!

Tyson Tan has a rather distinct style. Quite a bit like his predecessor Gashi-Gashi. So to some extent, all his stuff looks similar.

Not him, but I like Tysons art. It's pretty, detailed and very cute.

You're welcome and good luck dude.

Now THAT'S cute.