Intel Management Engine is a proprietary technology that consists of a microcontroller integrated into the Platform...

Intel Management Engine is a proprietary technology that consists of a microcontroller integrated into the Platform Controller Hub (PCH) microchip with a set of built-in peripherals. The PCH carries almost all communication between the processor and external devices; therefore Intel ME has access to almost all data on the computer, and the ability to execute third-party code allows compromising the platform completely. Researchers have been long interested in such "God mode" capabilities, but recently we have seen a surge of interest in Intel ME. One of the reasons is the transition of this subsystem to a new hardware (x86) and software (modified MINIX as an operating system) architecture. The x86 platform allows researchers to bring to bear all the power of binary code analysis tools.

Unfortunately, this changing did not go without errors. In a subsystem change that will be detailed in the talk of Intel ME version 11+, a vulnerability was found. It allows an attacker of the machine to run unsigned code in PCH on any motherboard via Skylake+. The main system can remain functional, so the user may not even suspect that his or her computer now has malware resistant to reinstalling of the OS and updating BIOS. Running your own code on ME gives unlimited possibilities for researchers, because it allows exploring the system in dynamics.

blackhat.com/eu-17/briefings/schedule/#how-to-hack-a-turned-off-computer-or-running-unsigned-code-in-intel-management-engine-8668

web.archive.org/web/20170923182403/https://www.blackhat.com/eu-17/briefings/schedule/

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/LAAhH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

out of all the dumbshit threads why did this get deleted?

A bit strange. I thought there was a thread for this earlier that had a lot of posts.

So what does this mean for us anons? Completely wiping out the ME? Coreboot on Skylake? Libreboot on Skylake?

Not possible for Skylake, and the situation is only getting worse.
If the ME’s boot ROM does not find in the SPI flash memory an ME firmware manifest with a valid Intel signature, the whole PC will shut down after 30 minutes.

In that case we really need alternative architectures like OpenPOWER and RISC-V to succeed. Also hopefully this at least means it can be neutralized more reliably on current hardware.

While there is the ME_Cleaner, the internal system still exists on the system. I'm gonna stick with my Libreboot system until a better one comes along or I can save up for a kickass desktop.

Yeah ME_Cleaner doesn't get rid of everything, but afaik it gets rid of all its networking capabilities (aka the spyware botnet shit).

Fuckineh. Any word on when the 24core POWER9's are coming out? I find it it very ironic that the 'big brother' Steve Jobs thought he was fighting back in the day very well may be the savior of open hardware.

yep, intel ME after ME_Cleaner is totally useless, it cant do jack shit to your system, ME_Cleaner removes everything except subsystem that is needed for normal operation of PC 30 min after boot(so the PC doesnt just shut off after 30 min)

Can my dream of a worm that self-replicates using only ME without AMT now be realized?

This would still be the best outcome. Even with me_cleaner available, stop supporting a company that can't secure their hardware any better than a chinese security camera and refuses to provide end user control to disable it.

dont know but its going to cost probably over $3,000 for one cpu

Right now the only thing i've seen for RISC-V is that little lowRISC thing. Hopefully we see more stuff soon.

OpenPOWER has TALOS, which is really expensive, but at least it's modern, powerful hardware that might be getting RYF certified too

Hopefully TALOS or something like it eventually comes out with an affordable desktop laptop configuration, because right now as pozzed as Intel AMD and even ARM is. They can be had for relatively cheap especially on the used desktop market.

Would you be interested in 32-bit RISC open hardware?

archive.fo/LAAhH

In related news, Blackhat hackers discover water is wet.

I'm just an end user, I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy. I think cost is a real factor and metric, and the number and types of software available for it. If that thing can run lunix, have a decent enough speed and capacity for most average computing task for most people, repairable or upgradeable on the parts that matters.

Bring it on to the market and at least be the thorn on the sides of the cancer that is current era hardware trend.

*nix is cancer. When we get a chance to dump x86 and the PC architecture, I want a microkernel.

Are all these misused soldering iron stock photos taken by the same retards?

I'm not on the team that developed it. If it turns out to be as open as it appears to be, then it is an awesome board and I will encourage Linux-addicts to use it.

Either you must write the OS, or else you must motivate a trusted coder to write an OS that you will like. If you want microkernels, start researching microkernels.

hurd is a microkernel

seL4 looks pretty badass. It's very minimal, and is made with security in mind. As a fun project I've decided to write a microkernel. It will be x86_64 and geared towards parallel processing, what with things like threadripper coming to market. If anybody ever ends up giving two fucks about my little project, I may port it to power architechture one day.

Current PC starting from the Wintel beige boxes days has a lot of legacy software good and bad. Like I said I'm just a meat and potatoes guy and end user. If it has enough software, attracts enough momentum and isn't pozzed. It needs to be strong enough right from the start (because it will be attacked by the usual suspects) to make it to market. Damn it if things continue the way they are with hardware, things are looking really fucked.

Gets my dick hard