Can I make physical modifications to SDRAM SODIMMs to increase its' memory? (It's old)

I know it may depend on the motherboard, but can you do anything that goes beyond the manufacturer's specifications in terms of maximum ram?

So far the only real indication I am seeing as far as limitations goes is whatever manufacturers are making for that type of ram. So for example with my old laptop using SDRAM SODIMM...Refer to
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SO-DIMM

Would it be possible for these ICs to be swapped out on the stick for something more powerful assuming something already exists but just not used in this manner (SDRAM SO-DIMMs in this case)? If you're curious, it's for 144pin.

I can understand that as technology advances old standards get abandoned and they stop making newer larger memory modules, but theoretically is it possible to just make such modifications (or any) to accomplish going beyond what manufacturers abandoned?

How would I go about this? I am looking to pursue this more as a hobby and something I can show off when done so don't even bother criticizing "wuhy wud u do dis??" I just need some guidance on where to start looking/researching. I appreciate any help.

[Is it possible to upgrade SDRAM SO-DIMMs by merely making some physical modifications to existing components to have larger memory as long as it stays within specification of the motherboards' voltage requirements and whatnot?
If so how/where do I start?]

If you dare point at a basic introduction to an electronics course as a possible solution.. That won't help. The direction I need to look at should be as direct/realistic as possible.

If you have any vague ideas on where to look/how to go about it consider sharing. Thanks ^_^
I will share whatever I find out if anyone wants to know or if a real discussion takes place (which I doubt).

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/gxDCZ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fuck off reddit

I'm just asking if it's even feasibly possible in terms of hours/materials/knowledge to do this that way I can know whether or not I should bother. You sir can fuck off. I never used reddit in my entire life.

Ok, so you are wondering if you can increase the ram modules by some physical modification. Maybe soldering them if I understand you right.
Go buy a used computer from the last 5 years. Chances are even the cheapest ones can come with a minimum 1-2 gigs of RAM. There you go, you just increased RAM physically without basic intro to electronics and doing it as direct and realistically as possible.

Thanks for the input. I already made the mistake by not posting in the sticky, but yeah.
I'm trying to put emphasis in using older hardware. Don't get me wrong I have a nice laptop for modern uses but in regards to this there are things from the older era I want to leave as is as much as possible and put together for my autistic amusement. Many people are now finding it to be a hobby collecting older hardware for our autistic desire of wanting to play old games and stuff (whatever excuse we can come up with to justify the purchase and use of such relics of the past).

I'm thinking that establishing a resource on methods to go beyond these abandoned hardware might interest a small community somewhere.
I guess it's more about the process of putting together the best computer with whatever limitations you may have that derives some satisfaction when you're done.
I appreciate your thoughts.. Soldering was already something I have been considering.. Maybe I can look up the ICs' models and their spec sheets and see if there were any similar ones made over the years that could be fitted inside in some manner without short circuiting everything.

I think I'm starting to realize I seriously have to learn and build beyond my small foundation of knowledge and do other smaller electronic DIY projects first that will eventually lead to this. Thanks again. As always I speak before I think.

He obviously wants to use his old computer very badly.
Yes but then
This is your real problem. As you can't just take a old SO-DIMM and add more silica and wiring to it without knowing the original wiring layout for it. You would need to make entirely new units that follow the pin specification and voltage requirements. Here they are at wikipedia archive.fo/gxDCZ . But then you need to be able to do the whole design and fabrication proccess. Along with ordering the IC's if you aren't going to make them yourself. I have absolutely no idea where you would find specifications for the IC's on RAM modules.

Couldn't you find some different sized ram sticks that use the same board layout, and try swapping between boards? Or is there more to it than that?

TL/DR: Holla Forums doesn't know, we are not electrical engineers
go find a Hynix/Samsung/Micron engineer for help

Because each different type of ram has a different PCB board with a different wire layout. No you can not.

Also you are asking about SO-DIMM form factor. You are space limited enough as it is before adding more IC's onto the board which already is presumably using as little copper as possible to connect the IC to the pin layout.

I guarantee it already happens in a recycling facility not far from Shenzen. If there are unpopulated BGAs or exposed but unused pads, then your only limit is the voltage tolerance and the memory controller of the laptop, not to mention heat.

Are you sure? I've got some Kingston SDRAM modules that appear to use the same board layout. I don't currently have them with me, but I found these photos on ebay.

When you're no expert it all boils down to whether or not you're willing to risk any adverse effects. So far for me I have tried maybe a year ago using what I thought was the correct type of ram- according to the manufacturer to simply upgrade to the highest allowed size but for some reason the laptop didn't like it (guess I got the wrong one, fuck!). I had like different brands.. One instance the laptop would appear to refuse to boot with the new ones.. Later removed one, put one of the originals back.. It would look it was booting but it behaved weird... I recall the bios telling me some weird stuff about issues with the ram either being removed or being incorrect (idk remember) and it had to run something to make use of the different memory which freaked me the fuck out because I couldn't tell what it was going to end up doing (like ending up with an unusable laptop). I just remember getting really pissed and depressed I wasted my time and money buying the wrong parts when I thought it was all correct. Maybe the same would happen if I make any modifications?
I mean.. it can be like you say and maybe it could be harmless to try. For example, if I had two SODIMMs both from the same manufacturer and specification that both had some unused pads, would it hurt to remove some of the chips on one and place them on the other and put it in to see what the computer is reading or if it runs at all? Voltage tolerances and the like is the only questionable part of this experiment. Heat is also important. I wonder if there's a way to test the voltages and read the temperature outside of the laptop to see if there's any significant differences (and if there is to make any small modifications onto it to bring it regular operating conditions.
A hack for a testing device is in need.. It would at least lower the chances of damaging the motherboard just looking at it logically.

That's because when you replaced the ram either the hardware manufacture had a whitelist of approved hardware and yours was rejected. Or you didn't reset the CMOS battery.

It depends. If the manufacturer was competent they would be using exactly the same IC for each pad. So you could do it as long as you they were the same specification. I don't remember what type of mechinism they use for ram to solder it. I think it was pin through so you could just melt the soder on the other side of the chip to remove it. But if you put a different pad on the chip then you could have heat/voltage problems in usage.

Just stop whatever you are doing. You have no clue what you are doing so lurk moar and learn the theoretical side first.

testing device/oscilloscope is pretty much what I was trying to describe. But they tend to be pricey hence why it doesn't come to mind. Ofc learning the theoretical side is important but fuck too much time and I probably need meds to read properly..
So instead I was trying to picture a way to apply power (correct voltage) to the device as a computer would and read from there.. But as a computer would continue to use more and more of the ram how much of an effect would that have on the operating temperature of the stick when all I can do is run power through it? I just need to know the pinouts which in this case would be for the 144pin probably on google. The low risk financially speaking is very tempting for me and I'm starting to feel comfortable of the thought without the knowledge.

Buy a digital osciliscope, much much less accurate but is cheaper and has more features usually.
You could desolder a SO_DIMM port from a board on a old computer and use that. Just hook up a battery to it with some way to regulate voltage. Make sure the wires from the regulator are at the correct amperage too and connected to the correct ports to power the SO_DIMM. Like you don't want to power a ground port or a data port.
Using the digital osciliscope you could then test the ram for if it's running correctly. Along with being able to put a thermoniter up against it at the same time.

desoldering a port on another old computer is a great idea or maybe some weirdo would be selling one on ebay... And yes I looked a little bit and the digital ones are much cheaper. I suppose I can do this in about a month or 2 when I get the money for the parts yay. It's nice owing ~$4000 to credit card companies when poor af :,)

You should have went to the streets first you stupid fuck.

I got into it too early. Unfortunately I lack much needed self-control which needs to be monitored and medicated for.
At least I'm not stupid enough to get comfortable with all the forensic files on netflix and try to find you. (A good show to watch but as you watch you learn it's not worth it- smartfucks everywhere!)

You can not increase memory size beyond what your CPU/Northbridge/PCH physically supports. Period.

There used to be few examples you might be interested in:

Penryn-based mobile platforms with 2 DIMM slots officially stated to support for 2x2GB max RAM on start because there were no denser memory modules at the time, later when 4GB modules appeared, you could install 2x4GB = total 8GB of memory (4-DIMM models did support 8GB in form of 4x2GB from start)

Sandy Bridge mobile platforms like x220 thinkpad sold with 2x4GB modules, but they can also handle for 2x8GB with higher frequency after special bios patch.

Intelligent Memory made 16GB SO-DIMMs that works on Broadwell-U (2x16GB total), again underadvertized capacity by Intel.

Some Allwinner SoCs have advertised 32-bit address, thus limiting to 4GB or ram total, but actually they have 33-bit address mapping which doubles their memory to 8GB.

So here is your path: