Some guy edited a version of Windows 8.1 to have less spyware shit and to look like Windows 7

Some guy edited a version of Windows 8.1 to have less spyware shit and to look like Windows 7.

I thought it was gonna be a meme so I downloaded it and installed it in VirtualBox, it's actually Kinda neat. He called it "Windows 9" most likely for the attention, but either way it does feel like what Windows 8 should've been.

eastcoast.hosting/Windows9/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zvfD5rnkTws
makeuseof.com/tag/make-lubuntu-look-like-windows-xp/
actrons.info/ame.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Will he work on windows 10 next and call it windows 11.

Besides the mandatory
what reason is there to use this over Windows 7?

The compulsive need to update your software even if it works perfectly without any flaws.

Now you got me.

Hey, this is pretty fucking neat. I always went for Tiny7 but shit like soulseek and some other stuff doesn't work on that.

Works better than any GNU+Linux OS I've ever tried.

youtube.com/watch?v=zvfD5rnkTws

10 YEAR OLD STREETSHITTER OS. LITERALLY WHY BOTHER. YOU SHOULD BE USING EMACS. FUCK YOU FAGGOT OP.

Depends on what you need to do. If it's not proprietary it likely works better on looonix. Of course, most software and drivers people want to run is proprietary.

I had a dying stick of RAM once. Windows would BSOD, Ubuntu kept chugging along fine.

why would you even use 8+ if you want win7, just use win7. what does this bullshit even do? teak GUI, a bunch of notes about adblocker. the fuck does adblocker have to do with an OS?

Will this allow me to play my old eroge games with a sense of peace and tranquility?

That's kinda neat. I think I'll move over to Windows 8 after Windows 7 becomes insecure shit after EOL.
Or Loonix once game support becomes acceptable.

insecure botnet, but at least it looks more presentable now.
Still, wouldn't dare run anything off this besides muh vidya gaems.
Can i make this look like xp?

when that happens i will simply keep using win7, it will be worth it to get malware (my win7 boxes get malware all the time anyway)
aside from being a bunch of useless garbage, win8 requires (((U)))EFI, or maybe only 8.1 or 8.2 or some bullshit, i can't remember the versions. fuck that

What are you on about? I've used Windows 8.1 and 10 on machines without UEFI/EFI and it works as intended.

Microsoft lawsuit when?

Now instead of Microsoft's botnet you get some cracker's homebaked botnet. The Windows 8 user interface may be shit, but at least I can be reasonably certain that Microsoft won't use my PC to traffic crack from.

It doesn't matter what OS you run on the main CPU, when everyone is running MINIX on the IME.
Board owner should force everyone to have a MINIX flag on this board.

Looks interesting. Hopefully is not even more botnet that vanilla ISO, or actual malware.

You can definitely make Guhnoo/Loonix look like XP.

So that barrel-scraping cocksuckers can cave in to vidya developers forcing new wangblows while maintaining their delusion of being clever. Admittedly I'm partly to blame as well since I should've forced myself to move from 7 around two years ago to some babby shit like Ubuntu, or even just bite it and install Gentoo Debian at once.

You've been able to get Aero back in stock Windows 8 for years. This really isn't anything new.

Do you have instructions on how to do this? This would be great for people like my mom/grandma who have a hard time using anything past XP.

If my memory doesn't fail me, the pic posted by user is from the installgentoo wiki, where it was said that the DE used was KDE.
In my own experience, I got a similar result with LXDE/Openbox.
Here's a guide I've found: makeuseof.com/tag/make-lubuntu-look-like-windows-xp/

Just use IceWM with the win95 theme or FVWM95.

This was running a Debian derivative called q4os that uses Trinity (KDE 3.5 fork). There was a tool called XPQ4 that someone posted a link to on the forums that was able to do this with almost no hassle. If you do a search for it, it will probably come up.

Ubuntu chugging along is not good, it saved some of those failed bits from the failed RAM.
Windows uses BSOD to tell you that there is an error and stopped you from writing failed bits to hard drive.

EFI is faster, allows for better GPT use, and is overall cleaner than BIOS while allowing multiple routes for BIOS compatibility.

If you'd only learn how to use EFI, you'd see its far better than the bloated BIOS.

Perhaps you're thinking of (((secureboot)))?

How about removing all of the botnet?

Seems impossible

Why would you want to do that? Linux actually has far better desktop environments. The very few alternatives on Windows are crappy or haven't been updated in ages.

I think some people just like the look. These usually involve a theming to Xfce or some other DE, so they retain all the good features. It's just aesthetic.

I will say that it's a fucking travesty that all the GNU file managers I've ever used fail to incorporate some of the basic file arrangement options that Explorer has (i.e., do this by name and then by type, or per-folder arrangement options).

Good find.
Personally I don't find it useful without DX12 but oh well

You can't be certain of literally anything in a black box, nigger. Grow the fuck up.

You can be totally certain though of just one thing, that whoever closed it did so to control your life as best they could.

Start with windows server (gui, not full install), then remove all DLL files you can't explain or replace with ReactOS if possible. Then you should get out most of the NSA fun stuff.

Enjoy your corrupted bits of data, dumbass.

What about gaming and emulators?

No bullying please.

windows 8.1 embedded industry pro/enterprise (what the website says this is built on) has to run as lean as possible for computers that are running on things like lcd billboards, kiosks, etc. so they just left out the telemetry.
The reason you would need to switch from windows 7 to something like this ever is because if there are only usb3 ports on a machine you cannot install windows 7 on it because microsoft never added support to that os.

Download link?

You could also use a PCI card, I presume?
Or, a good 'ol-fashioned DVD drive where windows is engraved in laser cuneiform.

And how do you check that he didn't plant his own backdoors there?

He doesn't says anything about these programs being safe. The biggest worry is the explorer replacement hack. The look is just not worth this kind of liability on a computer.

Checked for you. :)

Best Windows I ever used was Windows 8.0 (not 8.1) with all of the tiles updating shit disabled in group policy and classic start menu added. It was still shit but better than 7 IMO

This might be okay for certain purposes, probably even better than what I used which was years ago.

based windows

(((Some guy)))

aka Russian spook

While we are at it, there's also this one alternate version for 10 too. It aims on making it more stable and have less or none of spyware stuff, but I'm not certain if this is legit or not.

actrons.info/ame.html

The main issue is all the botnet stuff
Even if it looks better, it is the same system...

Now make win10 version of this shit

If people can't get over their habit of using Windows can they at the very least stop pretending like it can be, "made good"? While 10 may be such an egregious example, that even normalfags noticed it was shit, you still have to come to grips with the fact that Windows itself, and Microsoft are the problems. Eventually older versions of Windows are going to be so deprecated that you can't even play GAYMZ on them, then what? Are you gonna be like one of those retards that still uses WindowsXP, are you going to suck it up and take a bigger dose of MicroShaft's ass-reaming, or are you finally going to realize that Windows isn't the only operating system?

No, Windows 12.

And it looks like Windows 8.1

Or a Windows 17 that looks like GNOME riced to look like Unity, and that comes with Ubuntu on Windows preinstalled and preconfigured. Then, take it a step farther and have Wine installed in Ubuntu so that you can even play old XP era games that don't work well with modern windows. It's the best of all worlds, the ultimate OS.