So I finally gave in and bought my first smartphone

So I finally gave in and bought my first smartphone.
I was going through the privacy policy, and they're saying they will gather and store information such as any voice command I use (which will also be used and stored by an unnamed third party service provider), and gather and store information about my wifi connection and nearest cellular tower?

Is this normal for smartphones? Does no one care? I just wanted a nifty phone that let me do cool things on the go.

Other urls found in this thread:

bing.com/search?q=blackphone&FORM=CONMDF&PC=COSPM01&ptag=A43DD53A837&A=results
silentcircle.com/
github.com/cernekee/WinXP
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

This is normal and not just the phone company is going to track you, literally every motherfucking business you can think of from your gas station to everything you drive by is going to track you based off of your wifi mac address being broadcast because everymotherfucking company has access points managed by marketing companies and they already have your mac address because your phone company sold it to them. Enjoy

yes. also police store all this info (maybe not as detailed, but usage logs at least) as well and have done so since ever
yes

reiterating the above, and also wanted to say don't use voice commands. it's definitely true that you can do cool things with a smartphone, and they are very convenient. but it comes at a price, which is your privacy. many people value convenience over privacy. it's up to you whether that's a good thing or not.

We care, but there's not much to be done. Removing Google Play services from Android phones is a start, but it would be nice if there was more. There's a project called the blackphone or something that tries to be more secure, but I don't know anything about it.
Freedom respecting phone in the Xperia X10 Mini Pro form factor when

Just wait until you realize all the top apps are asking for full permissions to steal all your data and log all your moves and people willingly are accepting by the millions.

Just noticed that my S8+ has a slight red tinge on the edges.

Guess I'll return the phone and go back to my dumbphone.

Install Lineage OS

Good decision. If you ever want a true semi-privacy respecting phone get a galaxy s2 and either put the secure or open android forks on it.

pleb

You can partially protect your privacy and security on a smartphone.

- Only buy a phone that can be rooted and has a custom recovery and custom open source ROM from a trustworthy source available.
- Only buy a phone that has a removable battery and removable sdcard.
- Don't install gapps. You can use F-Droid or download apps from the Play Store using yalp.
- turn off everything you don't need... gps, bluetooth, nfc, ir, wifi, etc., and disable everything in settings that compromises privacy or security.
- If you really care, you can put tape over your camera(s) and do something about the microphone.
- Use a firewall like afwall+ and an ad blocker like adaway.
- You can set your preferred DNS servers with overridedns.
- You can use Tor with orbot and orfox apps, and/or use a vpn service. Lightning browser also works with Tor.

You get what you paid for, and I bet you picked one with a "free" OS.

nvm I got to the store and the screen worked perfectly

learn to read nigger

install lineageos (you should have researched it before buying, if you can't then you have been cucked already)
change MAC for wlan
change IMEI
don't turn on any radio activity while you don't really use it

All this assumes that you have complete control over your phone and turning something off actually turn sit off.
Which has been shown to be not the case.

That's why you install a custom open-source ROM from a trusted source. The real unknowns with a smartphone are the partitions you can't replace, the baseband, and the hardware. There's really no way to know what's going on there. But I prefer to play the odds and take the precautions I can, at least.
And if you're really worried about things not turning off, and don't want to check it with an rf meter, you can always just put the phone in a copper-lined container. I think they start at about $20.
As far as the phone not really turning off, which is a known method of attack, that's why you always want a phone with a removable battery.

Where did you come from?

They released an update for that. But if you prefer durability, get a phone with LCD, not AMOLED.

I only have a phone because I need it for work emergencies. It's about 6 years old now and I plan to use it for as long as it stays functional. It's literally only used for receiving calls and reading ebooks. It's rooted, has cyanogenmod installed, wifi and other shit permanently disabled, no gapps. No f-droid either (I downloaded and installed FBReader using my laptop). It was never connected to the internet and I never made a phone call from it. How un-pozzed am I?

Everything is pozzed.

That baseband is going to do exactly nothing inside an rf-shielded bag.

Yeah I installed an update, but it was still red.
So I went to get a refund and the screen looked perfectly fine at the store.

fml I'm not sure I like the edge though.

The thing is, if you have a working phone you are tracked 100% of the time because of how mobile phones work. Doesn't matter if you have a smartphone or a dumb phone.

Until it falls out and leaks everything.

In this case, everything is just some .epub's so who cares

Booo. Are you even trying?

Whatever you say. It's a cell phone, you're either using it and compromising opsec or larping. Or you're just stupidly allowing a device around you for no reason. Which is it?

So I'm equally as pozzed as everyone else? Shieeeet.

Obviously, that's unavoidable. As I said, I need to be available 24/7 because of the nature of my work.

Don't be a silly dork.

You no have a secure smartphone

Don't forget to remove the gyroscope also

I've had AMOLED phones since 2011 and haven't ever had issues with the screen.

Bpackphone

Ccavat eptnoer

bing.com/search?q=blackphone&FORM=CONMDF&PC=COSPM01&ptag=A43DD53A837&A=results

nah

Lol. I love how the people here are too stupid to take good advice. Either that or they're just trying to spread FUD.

You have to go back
>>>/reddit/
>>>Holla Forums

fucking kike just give a link to their goddamn website if you want to shill instead of some fucking microsoft botnet.
silentcircle.com/
screencap included its android.

I bought a Replicant Note 2 pone today. Waiting on it to ship.

You have to go back...

I should have just stuck to my dumbphone...

>he bought an (((iphone)))
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You brought this upon yourself. Don't call it a grave. This is the future you chose. You could have prevented this. If only you had listened.

The electrical wiring leading to your house from the pole is a botnet, go remove it.

Well they do spy on you through variations in your electrical usage and times of peak usage so you aren't wrong.

learn to read nigger

Holy shit this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much

Please kys

Every phone is pozzed, even the dumb phones. Smart people don't even give their work place a cell phone number. Get VOIP or a landline and give them that.
Sounds like slavery instead of a job user, perhaps it's time to consider employment elsewhere.

So how do I root my phone? I think I'll hold off on installing a custom ROM since that seems to void the warranty.

I want an upgrade, but goddammit the phone market is as much cancer now as it was when Nokia released this stillborn. I would beat a rabid bear senseless to own a phone with a physical keyboard, and the ability to port Sailfish to it. Mark my words, once we've exhausted all of these bells and whistles these environments have given us, well slowly find some other gimmick like reviving the keybosrd as a last step to rebrand or innovate in a stagnant economy.

DROPPED

GET A JOB

You need to stop taking Apple dick for a moment and really think, user. You're putting yourself in a proprietary, walled garden ecosystem. Willingly putting the handcuffs on yourself and sacrificng your freedom.

Bet you vote for the Libertarian Party

nvm ;-;
github.com/cernekee/WinXP

different user, I was lucky my phone's bootloader was unlockable and lineage OS supported.
Been trying to lower my dependence on google services, the only problem I have so far is finding a reliable replacement for google maps.
Tried a few of the open source ones on F-droid like Navit but it is very confusing doesn't seem to track my location when I turn GPS on.

Use Maps.me

Not only is it awesome and you can set pin points. You can use it without a gps and download maps and not have to use wifi or cellular for it. It uses openstreetmaps for the maps though. So the driving directions are shit depending on where you live. Hasn't been updated in forever though. So if you want up to date maps you are copy pasting it into the data directories which is a pain.

install osmAnd~ it is the only app based on open street map that is not utter shit

thanks, I'll investigate these options

OP you are now carrying a GPS tracker, microphone, camera, and chipset that by default makes automatic contact with cell phone masts and wi-fi hubs everywhere you go.
your manufacturer will probably get slack about kernel updates soon, and so soon enough you will be running a device with widely known security holes.

What are we supposed to read from the word "nigger"? That you're edgy, retarded and painfully deficient in vocabulary because of your depraved upbringing and useless parents?

Idiot.

McAfee is building a phone that is supposed to have hardware switches