Crypto Miners in JS are Making the News for Some Reason Now

Extremetech Version:
archive.is/5oC8e

BetaNews Version:
archive.is/fdM6s

Link to an implementation of a JS bitcoin miner on shithub:
github.com/jwhitehorn/jsMiner

Let's be honest; this isn't an anomaly, it's the way of the future. I don't know why it isn't already the status quo to use visitor's CPU time as a means of making money augmentary to data mining and ads, though I would probably have to say that I'd sell off the FLOPS instead of mining crypto.

Other urls found in this thread:

torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-website-runs-a-cryptocurrency-miner-170916/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just mining crypto with js on the cpu wouldn't even cover the electricity it takes to compute. If you wanted to actually make any money at all, you'd have to make sure you cover electricity costs.

I read that TPB replaced ads with crypto-mining JS.

torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-website-runs-a-cryptocurrency-miner-170916/

You are the type of person that's killing Holla Forums

(((They))) cashed out of crypto-coins.
Only bad goys use crypto-coins now.

This is actually a great idea

The more websites add this and make people's computer heat up and waste their battery life, the more people will start disabling javascript. The more people disable javascript, the more incentive developers have to make websites work without js.

Honestly, at this point in my life, I just want to take advantage of as many idiots as possible. I have no more faith in humanity.

You're fucking stupid.

Agreed. The sole reason for the existence of lemmings is so we could use them to make our lives easier. Thus is the order of Nature.

Thank god. Hopefully this will become a standard practice and web browsers will start blocking javashit by default.

The real question is this: Do either of you believe that there are enough good people in the world that you can have any meaningful relationships or is everyone else a lemming to you?

Do you respect anyone?

no u

Yeah you're right. Misunderstanding what OP meant makes him the worst person in the world. You should have the privelidge of executing him yourself.

JUST

public tracker fags btfo once again

Not really. I haven't been to TPB in ages and when I do have the misfortune of going there I have JS disabled.

The idea is that you run a website, where the Javascript code is executed on a visitor's computer. You yourself aren't paying for the electricity that the visitor is using, so it's not a factor in how profitable it would be for you to exploit this.

Imo, this is going to be the new ads controversy. Web admins will start running miners on your computer instead of annoying adverts, and they'll bitch and moan when everyone decides to install MineBlock.

If they're really that starved for shekels, they should just make a special page for visitors to run the miner. Ask people to leave it open when they aren't using their computer or whatever. Running a resource intensive miner on every page isn't going to go unnoticed, so it's probably going to piss a lot of people off, and turn them away from the website.

okay dude i suggested browser based bitcoin mining for site funding like jan 2015 as a way to fund Holla Forums during the troubles then. suggested this for blazechan as well. why nobody ever listens to me you faggots?? my name chad chadsworth 1337 /-/4XX0r.

I actually like the idea of this more than serving ads. This could be a great alternative to serving ads in a website except for the fact that is so cpu intensive

Yeah, also with datamining they should have a specific page where you go and put all your info to help them, otherwise it would become a known thing, and people would stop using the sites that do that.

More likely they would run both adverts AND crypto mining script to milk visitors dry.

I am no expert on the web or crypto currencies by any means, but renting some of your computation power while visiting for a useful task like aiding in some third party's research number crunching such as protein folding or even aiding in offloading workload of a small component of their website sounds more useful than burning away all that energy on a whole heap of nothing to establish a web of trust for crypto currency transactions of which many solutions are discarded anyway with only one solution declared a winner of the miniature lottery.
It sounds like a security nightmare to decentralise part of a service but surely there must be a less obtrusive and more ethical means of offloading the cost of hosting a web service.

Yep, and the normies won't give a shit. They accepted ads, they will accept ads + crypto mining.

hey josh