The End Of Atomistic Individualism: A Theory On Who You Are

Imagine a large series of overlapping circles: a Venn diagram reflecting all human beings. The full set of mankind exists within the rectangle. Draw a circle around Christians. Now narrow it to Protestants. Draw a circle around Anglo-Saxons. Draw a circle around North Americans. Draw a circle around all those whose ancestors lived in Tennessee in 1861. Draw a circle around fathers. Draw a circle around intellectuals. Continue doing this and eventually you’re going to get down to a very specific person like myself.

Wipe away the circles and do this for yourself: draw a series of Venn circles until you are able to zero in on you and you alone. Only use circles which relate to your identity, are definitive of yourself, and are valid throughout your life; don’t use your address, office number, or irrelevant facts which change like belt size.

Now read the list of circles that you created. You probably have religion, ethnicity, sex, and profession as circles. You might have sociopolitical identities. You might have circles with something to do with your ancestors and your descendants, if any. You may have circles representing your home town, high school, or regional identity. In order to make a Venn diagram which only includes yourself and excludes every other person on earth, you probably need a very complex interaction of multiple variables. If any one of these variables were removed, the diagram would no longer represent you.

The purpose of this thought experiment is an attempt to formulate a new, sustainable, non-atomistic understanding of the concept of individualism. Modern individualism, as a product of the Enlightenment, has the function of isolating and alienating individuals from God, society, and eventually even from themselves. From Putnam’s Bowling Alone to the transgender movement, modernity loudly proclaims the inability of people to belong, even to themselves. It instead offers a vision of individualism, in which the person creates themselves in their own image, as if Adam were to form himself in the Garden.

Other urls found in this thread:

socialmatter.net/2016/10/20/new-theory-individual/
archive.fo/O2sA8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Just as it is vain to think that a lump of clay will form itself into a man, so it is equally vain to think that an alienated, atomized person can create in themselves a personality out of the muck of consumerism and mass media. Modernity tells us that we can form our own personality with tattoos, body modification, consumerist consumption, and status objects like automobiles.

Ultimately, what is created is not human, however, but subhuman: one’s personality is merely a combination of external signifiers devoid of inner content. Ironically, in an attempt to form a personality out of the components provided by modernity, the end result is a kind of perfect conformity. As the cliché goes, the nonconformist is the greatest conformist of all, conforming to a pre-determined image of the rebel, complete with Che t-shirt, black beret, and canned talking points written years ago by some Red professor and distributed to all nonconformists.

Today, these nonconformists come equipped with multicolored hair and stretched earlobes, among other signifiers, but the changing fashion of nonconformity doesn’t change the nature of the act. Modernity’s alienated individual is all superficiality without substance, because the only tools provided to the individual are surface decorations.

Let us return to the Venn diagram above. In contrast to modernity, a healthy person and society requires a vision of individualism in which particulars and content are not rejected in favor of superficial distinctions which mask inner conformity. From the pre-Enlightenment tradition, we have resources to consider, but let me be clear: a return to the past is impossible.

We are incapable of simply restoring old notions of identity and personality as though they had never been rejected. What is required is a renovation of old concepts into a new vision of the Self by working off of principles, rather than simply copying old signifiers.

A beginning of this must be a multipolar vision of what it means to be an individual. Look again at your list of circles. These are the basic, most fundamental components of who you are, of your identity, and of your personality. Each of these contributes, in some way, to defining who and what you are, as well as your place in the world.

Summed up, the idea is basically that the human individual is located within a unique nexus point of a vast, interconnected network of identities and communities.

In other words, if you imagine a vast multipolar scale of identities and communities, you as an individual are located in a single point wherein each of your Venn circles intersect. The consequence of this theory is that each circle on your list is an essential part of your personality, and to be deprived of any one of these circles is to be deprived of your individuality.

Your family, your ethnicity, your national citizenship, your culture, your faith, and all other circles cannot be removed without grave psychological and spiritual harm to you as a person.

It doesn’t matter if someone else removes them by, for example, displacing you from your home, or whether you remove them from yourself by taking up a modern leftist ideology.

The latter needs to be seen as something akin to cutting; the purposeful self-mutilation of the person is no different, even if it is psychological and spiritual. When your Venn circles are stripped from you, you are less than what you were. You lose an essential part of yourself and are no longer whole. In this way, your membership in communities and identity groups is itself a substantial part of your identity and personality; we cannot fundamentally distinguish these spheres of being.

socialmatter.net/2016/10/20/new-theory-individual/

archive.fo/O2sA8

when this thread has 0 answers and a thread like

Alex Jones under attack by a Hillary ad has 200 replies

or

I Haven't Had Sex in Weeks. I Blame Donald Trump. bullshit has 300 replies

you know:

Holla Forums is full of low IQ white virgins that if tomorrow would disappear no one would miss them

How large of a screen would you like for that projection?

go fuck your anime pillow loser

tl;dr

your thread is garbage OP

spot on m8

This is the TLDR, or yeah, I forgot you low IQ niggers can't read more than two lines.

You got me, bro.

not really its just that the majority of replies on Holla Forums are arguments
theres nothing to debate here its just an user's complicated philosophical reflection on the self

This kind of behavior is not welcome here cuckchan rapefugee scum assimilate or GTFO

Reported and saged for cross linking in another thread go be a kike on >>>/cuckchan/.

Ayy lmao

see if some feminist wrote more clickbait, you won't need TLDR for that.

you got triggered by the truth?

Kek
tell that to the gala of Sumer :^)

the majority of arguments on Holla Forums are: shill, slide, reddit spacing, JIDF or in the best case, dude SOMEONE DID SOMETHING STUPID lmao.

sage

I like how you losers pretend to be superior to cuckchan, but you are not. You are too much of a losers to even fit in that shithole so you retreated here in your safe space were there is 0 discussion, only LULZ at SJWs. Which basically, makes you an autistic version of SJWs.

I'd rather be a useful tool than a worthless individual.

Report and sage for pseudo intellectual horseshit that no one care about.

Why the downvote friend? Intellectual horseshit yes, compared to the usual horseshit you eat in your safespace.

Do you think you even exist?

Did it to trigger you. I know the truth triggers you 8chucks.

I enjoyed it but I don't see the point. Yeah, your ethnic and cultural identity is important to your sense of who you are as a person. We know that, you're preaching to the choir. I was going to try and be nice and positive about your thread, maybe try and spark some discussion related to what you said, but then I read the rest of the thread, namely your replies to it.

Yeah nah, go fuck yourself faggot. Back to plebbit with you.

Nice post, OP. But you need to learn to control your butthurt.

checked

tl;dr

this caught my attention tho
you sound dumb as bricks son

I actually enjoyed reading this until I saw the rest of your posts.
You aren't very intelligent yourself if you are simply copy pasting this and are attacking others for not immediately recognizing or even caring about what you copy pasted.

And here I can see you are just a retarded cuckchanner, who mistook board speed for people not caring.
Not everyone had time to read your thread, dumbass. Stop acting like a petulant child because people aren't patting you on the back and sucking your dick right away.
This isn't cuckchan, adapt or leave.

(checked)

You ruined your own thread, and you have no one to blame but yourself.
If you were patient you could have had a pretty decent thread. But nope, fuck you.

So where's your argument?

Read Rene Guenon's "The Reign of Quantity"

There is but you're not finding it because you don't read.

That is the typical cancer-tier 'quality' that stayed behind on Cuckchan when we left. Now the trash is knocking on our door demanding to be let in and to be accepted and tolerated.

Fuck off back to your cuck shed.

The attention span of you 8chucks is exactly two lines. You are twitter tier, but worse due spending too much time in your safe space. You don't realize much of what you read and comment on is CLICKBAIT shit for low IQ niggers.

you made 3 multi-paragraph posts user
tl;dr means too long didn't read

see
too

You are not superior in any way to cuckchan, but inferior.

Want to hear something funny? Made an experiment, posted pictures from cuckchan here, of course you niggers had no idea, but you ate that shit up like a nigger eating a melon. Reply after reply to pictures from cuckchan.

You are creating 0 new content niggers, you just eat shit.

It's obvious Cuckchanners won't like it here because you stayed behind on your SJWchan getting cucked by the staff and being surrounded by retarded shitposting.

Yet you're going out of your way to visit us and tell us 'how shit this place is'. And that is exactly the level of the garbage that we left behind, and we'd like it if the garbage didn't come knocking on our door demanding to be let in and tolerated.

Your argument was:

That's no different than the usual bullshit you stupid losers use for an excuse of not understanding or liking something like: sage, slide, JIDF and so on.

Look at this Holla Forums-tier shit. 'muh content, muh OC'.

Fucking nigger-tier trash that we were so glad to leave behind. Fuck off back to 4cuck you cancer.

Trash thread and OP is throwing a fit. Please delete thread and ban OP. Can tell he's not from around here.

I love your pathetic superiority. You are not superior to cuckchan, this is just a safe space for losers.

You left nothing behind loser, you could not handle cuckchan so you ran away here were you pretend you are better, in your little safe space.

You have no one to blame but yourself.

the quoted line caught my eye
it's a false statement
you say something as truth and we call you a retard
you argue poorly we call you a faggot

this is basic shit and if you wan't a group to to listen to what you have to say you need to tailor what you are saying to the group

a quick glance at your posts makes it obvious that your words are lacking in presentation and content, so git gud or hang fro ma tree

The fuck you doing here then eh?

YOU HAVE TO GO BACK

checked for on point

I am laughing at you losers. Triggering your SJW ass.

Enjoy your bumplock, nigger.

Oh man. My 4cuck radar is pretty accurate. I didn't even read the OP and I suspected it was some cunt from 4chan shitting up the board again.

That's all, 4cuck? You are 8niggers.

you're boring son

Nothing that you have posted in the OP is even that profound. We all have come to a similar understanding of what an individual's identity actually entails. You are talking about fundamentals at this point.

The fact that you are this ass blasted that we aren't fawning over your personal revelations proves you are some dumb newfag that needs to go back to 4cuck.

No we stood up against the mods across boards when you did jackshit and even complained that we should stop mentioning SJWs, even calling the mods on us.

Then when we finally saw 4cuck was beyond saving we warned everyone, gave directions and rallied the troops for the great Cuxodus. But YOU, YOU chose to stay behind in your cuck shed. It was YOU and your nigger-tier shitposting blogposting shit quality that decided to remain with the gutter, the SJW mods and the shills.

And now the trash is knocking on our door demanding to be let in, accepted and tolerated.

No, you're going to fuck off back to your cuck shed and enjoy your SJW staff that you praised so much. You made your bed, now lie in it.

this
nothing new was revealed here.
OP might as well have made a thread proclaiming he has determined niggers to be of a lower quality of human bean than huwites

You came to that conclusion between LULZ at feminist clickbait and butthurt at Clinton's ad of Alex Jones? Or while reading what some irrelevant GOP jew wrote on reddit?

So just a worthless shitposter then, exactly the trash we left behind.

Fuck off back to 4cuck.

Oh boy, you got me there.
Expect you're the ones who stayed in that cuckshed for years after it went to shit.

honestly looking at the pictures I thought he was going to start talking about how he is skeleton jelly

That's what you don't understand friend, you are as bad as cuckchan, or even worse. There is nothing here but low IQ shit. I kind of feel bad for you virgins.

You're making the mistake by assuming they were even in 4cuck/pol/ at the time. these are obviously subhuman cuckchan/b/tards that came to this board because its the most popular.

Trips of truth.

You did not left anything, you were kicked out of cuckchan because you were too much antisocial niggers even for that shit.

Further proof that 4cuck is SJW central.

how new r u

HAHAHA

No one gives a shit about your cuck board nigger, you don't exist. If tomorrow you would die no one would miss you.

what you dont understand is your attempt to rustle our jimmies is in vain.
we have let go of our jimmies.
enrustlement is ours
the continual war against truth by your masters have only created a monster by survival of the fittest.

Nope. H8chan is still banned on 4cuck to this day because they feared users leaving.

Now fuck off back to your cuck shed.

STOP REPLYING TO THIS THREAD
THEY ARE FISHING FOR REPLIES
THEY ARE INDISTINGUISHABLE FROM CHATBOTS
DO NOT REPLY TO THOSE WHO FAIL THE TURING TEST

Cuckchanners are garbage because cuckchan has the lowest standards of all the imageboards.

Got a stupid fucking opinion that no person in their right mind wants to listen to? Post it on cuckchan! The mods will treat your stupid fucking opinion with the same weight as somebody who actually knows what they're talking about!

That's the thing, I read :

This place is full of virgins.

Such is the quality of Cuckchanners.

Triggered son? It's bumplocked. Can't handle the BANTZ cuck?

Redtext spam should be a bannable offense

This is looking awfully similar to Holla Forums:

he is on point tho

This is what I was talking about. You are autistic as fuck you can't even understand your position on this whole thing. You are nothing but a worm, not even that. You are nothing. You mean nothing to no one. And that is due to your safe space and SJW mods. You like to pretend you don't get triggered? Read some answers from this thread, see how many other threads are deleted. Sorry bro, you are losers.

I know you don't care about anything. At least be honest about it. You losers are dead. Trump won't ever win and half of you will kill themselves.(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

?????????????????????

This strategy is actually in that supposed CTR leak, they are supposed to say we are "worthless" and "virgins" etc. It won't work because they stick out like a sore thumb.

you aren't?

cuck

I knew of this as well but didn't wan't to say

it's low grade bantz

It also won't work because we know we're worthless and we know we're virgins.

They can't call us 'racist' anymore because we're happy to be racist, so I guess they're trying every other insult in the book to try and chip away at our egos.

Joke's on them; there are no egos to be hurt on an anonymous imageboard.

it speaks the words of our people but it doesn't understand them

As I said, you are dead inside, stop lying to yourselves.

that was made by you as an excuse for when someone calls you what you are

great thread OP take ur assburger meds and go back to where you came from

wot

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Tip Top Kek about time>(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

I wasn't kidding about them acting like bots.

yay
forgive me it's copy pasted from google search

I wish you guys would get better at this, my jimmies remain unrustled.

Did 4chan turn into an unofficial training ground for unpaid CTR shills?
It's like a chess board, and they're the pawns used for simple insult shilling.

I would like to give 4chan more credit than that but I haven't been back since the first gg exodus

le downvote

Hey congrats, it only took you 12 minutes to find another proxy.

12 minutes? I was shitposting in other threads, laughing at you 8virgins(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

cuck

Since this is clearly a dubs thread I can post Mongolian puppet show girls (if anyone wants me to).

easy on the acid you long winded faggot

xD so deep u guis!

Philosophy threads have the potential to be legendary, some of the best threads you'll ever read on the internet. Unfortunately this will never be one of them.

its always some english 101 fag flexing the vocabulary he learned from professor shekelstein without saying anything

Maybe they're still reading, also keep in mind that the election focuses a lot of energy that would've been distributed otherwise.

I suppose Germans are triggered by raping refugees? We aren't "triggered" we just will not accept your inability to adapt to the dominant culture and the mods will purge your cancer. That's not being "triggered" that's a sign of health.

Oh. Wew lad.

Breddy gud OP. However i want to know if what inspired this was written on the basis of my post on identity according to Buddhism(my one line)?

Holy shit that's autistic.

I'm getting the nice vibe OP is not native to the English language