To use a laptop or a desktop? or have both? if both, how to synchronize stuff?

to use a laptop or a desktop? or have both? if both, how to synchronize stuff?

item (WHO WINS): reasoning

size and portability (LAPTOP): laptop is smaller and more portable, lighter.
using in travel (LAPTOP): laptop can be used in travel, on train etc. desktop can't.
backdoors (DESKTOP): laptops are backdoored from factory, have all integrated components.
quietness (DESKTOP): laptops are very loud (on load), desktops are noiseless.
energy/cost (LAPTOP): laptops are energy efficient, use low amount of electricity.
screen (DESKTOP): laptops have crap screens, and maybe a single VGA out. PC have up to 3 monitors.
power (DESKTOP): desktops are way more powerful, faster, stronger.
peripheral devices (DESKTOP): desktops allow to connect way more devices, cards, usb devices etc.
encryption (DESKTOP): if police comes to you, in case of desktop you just unplug it from electricty. laptops have batteries so cannot be unplugged.
thiefs (DESKTOP): laptop is small, light, thin, and doesn't have much cables. it's very easy to steal it.
ups (LAPTOP): laptops have built in UPS in case of power loss. desktops need to buy a separate expensive and heavy UPS.
comfort (DRAW): desktop offer supieror comfort with big keyboard, mouse, etc. but laptops can use them too.

Other urls found in this thread:

www1.cs.fau.de/frost
aliexpress.com/store/product/Orange-Pi-One-SET5-Orange-Pi-One-Transparent-ABS-Case-Power-Supply-Supported-Android-Ubuntu-Debian/1553371_32642615408.html?spm=2114.12010108.1000023.5.7d847a7oAhryQ
amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9/#
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

buy an ipad

tablets are useless

I have a desktop for vidya and a laptop for studies and travel. I use an encrypted external drive for my files. Make sure you keep a backup obviously, just in case you somehow lose your external drive. Also Google Drive is good for documents, but assume anything on there can be read by the government

If you're paranoid you need Tails on your laptop. If shit goes down, you pull out the Tails USB and it should shut down. Never leave it unattended. Police have a trick where they will distract you and make you walk away from the laptop, then they grab it

FX is shit, you will pay billions in electricity. and enjoy your sauna

so all your personal files (projects etc) are on this drive? and you either plug it to laptop or desktop?

it's jewish botnet

I don't think so. Laptops do not have a power switch. Tails is loaded in RAM.

So basically, you cannot really use it.
If I use laptop when traveling by train, they will come at me and take it from my hands. Encryption won't help as laptop will be running. I could only knife them or shoot them.

And if I cannot use laptop on train or public places, what's the point of laptop at all?

to take off battery I would need to uncover battery cover, then remove it. When will I do that, when they can take my laptop within one second from my hands?

Got ya covered, bud!
t. your lappy

now that's something
but they could see what you wear and prepare for that, like catching you and your laptop and then cutting your keychain

Somewhat related: how do I run rsync right before shutting down? I backup everything hourly using cron to an external hdd and a usb stick, but I want it to run on shutdown too. I don't want to manually write a service on every computer I use, a package from the debian repository would be preferable.

Desktop

You have a shitty laptop then. Get a different one that lets you take the battery out by pushing a switch in.

But really who comes to a raid with liquid nitrogen? This is assuming your RAM is not encrypted in memory. But it could be decrypted with enough time.

Option D) Laptop plus home server.

A laptop with a dock. You can carry it wherever you want, and when you get home you stick it in the dock and you can continue using a proper mouse and monitor, with all your peripherals ready. Only downside is that it looks like docks are on the decline with newer laptops, being replaced by a USB-C adapter. They're also fucking expensive on newer laptops.
For backups, have a home server and use a small script that mirrors your data to it.

being able to upgrade your system (DESKTOP)
cheaper (DESKTOP)

vidya and high CPU activities
everything else
syncthing, ssh

Here's your problem: liquid nitrogen and soldering don't go along quite well, dealing with ddr3 an attacker has around 1 minute time frame before data rots. However, if special bios features were mentioned, and attacker is aware of them, he can keep the ram cold while desoldering or reflashing the bios chip, then boots tiny live os from it and starts copying all ram to external drive immediately, this is how smartphones are unlocked. Freezer > Recovery mode > Forensic OS flashed from computer and immediately booted.
www1.cs.fau.de/frost
Best scenario would be to make flash chip access as hard as possible, i.e. few drops of compound, ideally one that has melting temperature higher than solder's.

Le upgrading desktop meme was viable in the 90's when processors doubled their speed every 6 months, when there were dozen of different fpus or isa cards. Today you buy a desktop, use it for next 5 years barely noticing any difference, then you buy completely new or put chinese Xeon and few ram sticks in old machine in case of poorfaggotry. Nothing to "upgrade" in modern PCs really.

I didn't even know such things existed yet. Holy shit where can I download it? Or is it just FreeDOS with a DMA copy program that is soldered onto the board?

This is yet another reason why phones are such shit tbh. What is the equivelent of system management mode on ARM/android? Kikezone maybe? Yea it's probably kikezone. I wonder what device they replace for kikezone to get past a self signed boot image.

This is the fucking truth, not that it's a bad thing.
Hell, it's almost true for laptops at this point too. They're most of a 3 year cycle.

Get a good desktop, desk and chair.
For travel, pick up the best piece of shit laptop you can find for under $100. Used or refurbished, it just needs to barely work. This is for opening a browser and various documents, and that's it.
Now you have everything you need.

Me the three thousand dollar laptop that defies many of your "negatives" given for laptops.

Worse than that, it can be read by the notorious faggot terrorists called Google employees.

I use both

I have on owncloud server running on an Orange Pi One

aliexpress.com/store/product/Orange-Pi-One-SET5-Orange-Pi-One-Transparent-ABS-Case-Power-Supply-Supported-Android-Ubuntu-Debian/1553371_32642615408.html?spm=2114.12010108.1000023.5.7d847a7oAhryQ

its a little slower than when I run a VM on a real machine but it works great

the software also syncs on droid and I think apple products too

I don't know about you guys but I didn't use my laptop out in public when I had it, I needed it primarily because laptops have a battery and buying a battery for desktop wasn't worthwhile to me, and I actually use my laptop connected to additional monitor and with wireless keyboard, the laptop just sits there. Also because I had to keep moving back and fourth between two houses every couple weeks and packing a desktop computer would have been much more difficult.

Now I have an All-in-One though and a power-bar that can at least keep going for about 7 minutes after power goes out and I'm working on solar for my bunker.

t. constant power-outs / flickers here, dwells in a bunker and sometimes moves out to a cabin

is it quiet?

It was quiet as long as I wasn't playing Team Fortress 2 or Dota 2 or whatever else Steam games for linux and even then it wasn't all that loud.

My new computer is a 4k Touchscreen All-In-One, a lot of components same as a laptop, and it's completely silent. PCCIE Solid State Drive (512 GB), Radeon R9 graphics card ( amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r9/# ), etc.

There are now "ultrabook gaming laptops" also which are very quiet.

Also I bought a laptop some months ago for a fellow operative who paid me back slowly overtime in cash and what I got him is powerful enough to play any games, QHD resolution, and silent.

I only ever buy high-end computers. The cheapest I got was $800 dollars, most I get (on sale and with steep discounts) at $3,000 CDN.

Very powerful, lightweight, silent, high-resolution, ultrabook gaming laptops have been a thing now for about a year or two.

Pick one unless you use broadwell+ which is a fucking botnet because intel ME and linux/bsd kernel firmware blobs are mandatory. But if you do that you are a stupid fucker.
Or you are a cianigger who is stupid to spend 3000+ on what you could get for 600$.
What's the battery life on it when not gaming? I would imagine anywhere from 5-7 hours at best

I have this setup using a Dell laptop and dock I took from my old job
It's pretty comfy

use neither. buy a tablet