What is the best linux distro for making a web server? I doesn't need to come with a DE, just tty is enough for me

What is the best linux distro for making a web server? I doesn't need to come with a DE, just tty is enough for me.

Other urls found in this thread:

w3techs.com/blog/entry/ubuntu_became_the_most_popular_linux_distribution_for_web_servers
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

debian or centos

debian.

2nding centos

People who eat anything other than rare or medium rare should be boiled alive.

Gentoo.

Even your sage can't counter the obviousness of what you said.

Medium rare master race.

Debian has some neat scripts to help with Apache. Aside from that pretty much anything will work.

Anything other than well done is for fags who enjoy pozzed meat in their mouth.
I'd say probably Debian, I guess.

Nthing centos.

I'm going to find you and eat a well done steak while chewing with my mouth open right next to your mother. Look forward to it

FreeBSD

I don't know what that means but those double dubs demand I respect it. Cuck license is best license.

Cuck license is worst license. It helps the ((CIA niggers))

Cuck license is bad license. It helps the ((CIA niggers))

CUCK

You need stability, security, and a long support cycle. Basically means hosting on either Debian, RHEL, or Windows.

Why Gentoo? Is it stable?

It is, and because everything is configurable, you can lessen the attack surface of your box.
You can also avoid glibc/openssl bugs by using musl/uclibc and libressl.

Gentoo, Ignore newfags.

I use Void for my web server and love it.

Not Linux, but Illumos:
SmartOS or OpenIndiana.

I like void for a desktop but would never consider it for a server.

Alpine linux is fan fucking tastic for a web server. Been running it as a LEMP server for an atypical Wordpress (I know) install for a few years. And not some Docker bullshit like Alpine seems to be associated with these days. It's honestly a fucking great server distro

RHEL or if you have no money then CentOS.

Ubuntu has edged out Debian in popularity for web servers, especially in top-ranked websites.

w3techs.com/blog/entry/ubuntu_became_the_most_popular_linux_distribution_for_web_servers

Really, why not? And what do you like so much about Alpine?

Lel, color me surprised - usage of shit framework for hipsters and brogrammers is corelated with usage of shit distro also for hipsters and brogrammers.

Webdevs are retarded. They regularly pull completely unsupported software and chunks of code straight from total nobodies that no one has ever reviewed, and often even have their sites pulling code straight from the master branch of random github projects. They're largely legally insulated now from consequences of your data getting stolen so this is only going to change once a more destructive payload goes around.

What do you recommend? C with FastCGI? Rewriting the network drivers in assembly so you can run a truly minimal server on kernel land, the fastest land?

Even fucking django, as shit as it is, is still better for web-dev crap. Seriously, people that use PHP or server-side JS need to be euthanized.

I tried django recently and I'm not sure why anyone uses it. It seems to require writing user account management mostly by hand, requires something like uwsgi to host it, and only winds up being useful for providing a shitty ORM and an /okay/ templating engine. And the whole thing is fork-based and bloated.

I use windows server and love it. It has so many options to configure. also it has most of the open source software. linux is shit

Out of those two only RHEL is "expensive", CentOS is basically same thing but for free and with no support. Also, those two are arguably the best options from linux world but as far as I'm concerned OP may join Node.js brainlets that use ubuntu for this purpose - not my problem tbh.

Why pick a poor imitation of Windows when you can use the real thing?

Debian GNU/Linux