Otaking patreon

Otaking, the guy who did those Dr. Who and Tie Fighter anime shorts, is trying to crowdfund a full length realistic mecha animated movie, I guess like one of the better Gundam shows.

This would be so much better than another fucking series of Steven Universe or Zombie Simpsons. Please give this British faggot all of your moneys.

Don't care for mecha but good animation is something I can support. Sadly I don't have money to just give to a complete stranger.

Shill elsewhere.

Well I supported this. I DO wish ye olden animation.

Might be cool. It's nice to see animation coming out of Britain. When was the last time that happened? Danger Mouse? I'm not really a big fan of the way he draws and animates people though. There's something off about it.

Looks nice but I would be suspicious. There's always a catch to these things.

Well, compared to Gurren Lagaan or Voltron or whatever.
More like Mechwarrior, probably.

If it's anything like his TIE Fighter or Dr. Who animations, I'm in.

He's still improving, some of his Youtube is studies of things like huge spaceships moving and lighting on turning heads. With every project, I can see an improvement. He's gone from a retro-eighties anime style to a stylised realistic, this is the most lifelike I've seen his human models. If he gets the funding this could be amazing.

He's been around long enough that I don't think he'd take the money and run. From my observation he sticks to a project until it's finished, it's the guys who pop out of nowhere full of hype, and the ones with a string of abandoned projects that you have to watch out for.

I'll link his old shorts for y'all, so you can see what he's about.

When will you people learn?

He rotoscopes pretty heavily, so that could be it.

As I understand it he rotoscopes 3D animation, but rotoscoping shouldn't result in animation that looks "off." He's doing something wrong, and not just with people.

It makes me cringe when people say his animation looks like anime.

It's as realistic as you want to make it. See Patlabor 2 for example.

That's not true communi- no wait… uh…
THE FREE MARKET WILL FIX IT.

*nailed it

I could belive him if he has a /k/ member telling how it should be

While he is capable of making decent animation, there's also something about his work that I can only describe as "deeply janky" which makes it painful to watch, really.

Trickle down effect!

Open your mouth.

I think it's the fact that he's so dead set on the 80's-90's anime look. You get western shows that are inspired by anime to some degree but they also have their own feel. When you see someone sticking this closesly to a template, I don't know, it just feels cheaper.

Maybe "draw your own anime" books have just made me associate that particular style with cheapness.

The ships look cool, reminds me of the game star conflict, but the movement of the characters look weird, if you are going to use an angular retro anime look your characters should be more stiff, also their proportions are to realistic, those necks look huge.

If his stuff really looked like 80s-90s anime, it would be a great achievement. But it doesn't.

No. I will let other, stupider people fund him, and then I will reap the rewards (if any, because we're talking about Patreon).

The animation really looks uncanny

Now if only someone could make a decent webm of that.

Its good work but the CGI is still pretty noticeable.

I wonder who's behind this thread…

I'm not Otaking.
I'm the faggot who hates the Tumblr image file name autist, if you really have to put a face to me.
Sperging out at that moron is about the most notable thing I've done here.

Don't fall for the bait kid

I can understand if Paul Johnson was pitching 20+ a month, but seriously you're bitching over what amounts to an annual twelve dollars donation for TVPaint files.

I do think Johnson is overrated, however. Even though he rotoscopes less these days he's evidently an animator who depends upon heavy rendering and high frame rate to hide his poor grasp on anatomy, proportion, volume, and fundamentals, like deviantART. A lot of times (especially in the more recent Street Fighter streams) he'll brush over mistakes by saying that he doesn't want to fix them and hopes the audience won't notice, which is points off in my book if he's not willing to take the effort to polish his work. You can especially see how his Warframe short is super-rushed and why he's not working for an actual anime studio; conversely, works that have a heavy mechanical focus like his R-Type short tend to shine and stand out more in his portfolio. I don't blame people who don't want to fund him.

I remember R-Type having really wonky animation.

Otaking's animation looks wonky because he learned the polish (there's a reason the SHADING meme is associated with him) before anything else. He can't actually animate very well, he's just autistic enough to then polish what he didn't do well to a sheen enough to fool a ton of normalfags. Remove all the colours, you're left with a man who can't keep consistent volumes, shapes, construction, etc.

At least it's not "story-by-Tumblr, art-by-Calarts" tranny noodlearms potatohead snowflakes in coffeeshops.

That alone makes it worth funding, because the syndicates are convinced we want tranny potato shopping adventures, and that is all they will give us.

A dollar is still too much for this tripe.

He's getting better I'll give him that.

This

user I think you need to lay off the internet for a good while.

Patreon needs to die.

We'll eventually see, if he does well people well contribute if not, thisnt a Kickstarter.

Agreed

what the fuck, why is it deforming like that

Looks like he's rotoscoping off a low-poly 3d cgi object, and the surface details went a bit wonky because he eyeballed them.
I'm sure he'll do better in the final version, the TIE fighter short had great asteroids.

fuck off

You fuck off

No you fuck off

Hey Holla Forums

No you.

sup faggot.

Hey reddit

Hey now hey now a now sing this corrosion to me

I got nothin' to say I ain't said before