Tfw you finally get around to moving all your internet-related images you've had saved on your main PC for the past...

How do you fools back up your shit and keep your main PC tidy?
I have an 80GB HDD for internet and chan related images going back to 2009 (I had images from earlier that I never backed up though) Also that doesn't sound like much but I don't save images that often. I have about 20k files in there and it's not even half filled yet. The bulk of the storage space it's taking up is the little webms/mp4s I have saved
For more important images/videos I've taken myself with my own camera I have it all backed up on a 500GB HDD. Again, doesn't seem like much I don't take shit that often. The "oldest" files in this one are actually from around 1999-2000 and they're digitized VHS tapes. The oldest purely digital videos are from around 2006-2007

I'm always rather anxious that the HDD is going to fail one of these days but I heard SDDs also have their own problems to worry about. I'm also weary of magnetic tape backup because it seems easier to physically damage. What is the best storage type for backups overall?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/HGST-Ultrastar-HUS724030ALE641-Enterprise-Refurbished/dp/B01LYVD7ME/
pcworld.com/article/2984597/storage/hard-core-data-preservation-the-best-media-and-methods-for-archiving-your-data.html
openmediavault.org/
freenas.org/
amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q5ZEOCO/)
wiki.openmediavault.org/index.php?title=Installation
omv-extras.org/joomla/
locate32.cogit.net/
forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/5553-SnapRAID-Plugin-Guide/
aliexpress.com/store/product/Orange-Pi-One-ubuntu-linux-and-android-mini-PC-Beyond-and-Compatible-with-Raspberry-Pi-2/1553371_32603308880.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Buy a few of these.
amazon.com/HGST-Ultrastar-HUS724030ALE641-Enterprise-Refurbished/dp/B01LYVD7ME/

Learn how to set up a cheap low power NAS, or if suitable use your current computer. Set up 2 drives in software RAID1 as storage. There are many easy guides on how to do this for just about any OS. Occasionally back up the raid array to another drive that is then put in a protected location.
Redundancy is how everyone deals with hardware failure.
Don't toss your old drives. Just copy whats on them to your storage, and then pack your old drives away and forget about them. If you somehow manage to fuck up so badly that you've ruined everything above, you'll still have the old drives waiting.

SSD's must have power to keep data long term. The charges that are the data will slowly escape over time, and high density SSD's can have data corruption in under two years if left completely unplugged (not just "off").
SSD's deal with this by silently refreshing the oldest data whenever it has power. Other than that, if an SSD isn't being used an absurd amount, then the reliability is fine.

Setup a FreeNAS

I would suggest something very non-reactive, physically stable, resistant to entropy, and uninteresting to thieves and grave robbers. Chiseled stone and clay tablets marked with a reed stylus seem to have good track records. There are stones several billion years old on Earth.

but what if jews stop producing standard HDD's and instead will start selling ones that have built in botnet, mobile modem, CIA?

I have a small M.2 SDD as my OS drive, and 2x dupe HDD for long term storage with backup. I have a cronjob that runs rsync nightly to backup long term storage drive. If you always have backups, there's nothing to worry about other than buying a replacement HDD should one fail. If you're really paranoid, it might be worth it to invest in an external HDD and take it offline after doing a backup or rent cloud backup.

Keith and Mick, to name two.
Also, some form of symbolic representation that would break into smaller copies of itself, based on fractals or something, would be highly resistant to destruction.

I'm not very fussed about actually accessing my storage on more than a semi-regular basis, and I'm just absolutely clueless about data storage servers in general, but what's the redpill on setting one up?

pcworld.com/article/2984597/storage/hard-core-data-preservation-the-best-media-and-methods-for-archiving-your-data.html

Damn, that sounds pretty impressive. What are the caveats to going this route?

you mean CP?

The least frustrating way of setting up a NAS is to use a dedicated distro.
openmediavault.org/
freenas.org/
Are common ones, though there are more.

I personally use Open Media Vault (debian based). It has a plugin system that makes all the functions I need easy to set up.
The step for building are
Needs:
-Some cheap shitty preferably low power computer. I bought this mother board (amazon.com/gp/product/B00Q5ZEOCO/) and used old ram and a 300W power supply I already had in my parts bin. Make sure the motherboard has at least 4 sata ports.
-1 small drive to hold the OS (this drive is not for storing files). Can be a flash drive, (make sure you use the write reduction plugin)
-2 hard drives to set up in software raid eventually.
-Another drive for backups that remains unconnected. Kansas lightning storms have made me paranoid forever.

Basically you follow the instructions here to install: wiki.openmediavault.org/index.php?title=Installation
I just hook up the NAS to a monitor and keyboard while installing. After that you can unhook them and access the OMV GUI through a brower after finding out the IP that the router assigned it. Make sure you have an internet connection while installing. I was playing around with router bridging at the time, so my internet connection was all sorts of fucked. Turns out that installing OMV in such a situation will somehow cause problems that are way beyond my ability to fix.

After installing you add the sata drives and fumble around in the GUI until you are able to set them up in software RAID1
Then you add the plugins you want. Be aware there are extra plugins available that you have to manually enable: omv-extras.org/joomla/
You can set up samba to be able to view files in windows as a network drive. This is where user permissions become important. If you are like me you will be confused as fuck at first, and screw everything up. Eventually I worked it out though frankly I couldn't really teach anybody anything. If you have a persistent problem, I could look at how my shit is set so you could copy it. What I do is I deny all but a few whitelisted IP's (which my router permanently assigns to a chosen device), and those whitelisted IP's have to enter a name/password for a user I setup on the NAS that can only access the drives. This way no one else can connect to the network and rummage through my 5TB's of lebanese handholding photos. Windows won't index network drives, but that's find since locate32.cogit.net/ is far superior and faster to use once you learn how.

I also use the snapraid plugin: forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/5553-SnapRAID-Plugin-Guide/
Fail2ban is a must.
Docker is available, but I don't need that or streaming or any other bullshit so you're on your own for that.

Use decent sata cables, and have extras to try. When I set up a raid array, First things were fine but eventually I encountered all sorts of seemingly random problems that were impossible to replicate. Turns out the sata cables were fucked, and sometimes worked and sometimes didn't depending on their position. After days of trying to figure out if the drive or software was bad, I replaced the cables and everything was fine.

Make sure you test things and play around a bit before committing to anything as your primary spot for holding data. What you'll find it is it takes a few "I fucked the setting up too badly, time to start from scratch" moments before you work out the peculiarities of a system and learning how to set up what you want to achieve. Once you finally get it right, you can basically forget about the system except to login and do occasional updates. My setup has worked perfectly for 2 years now.

If the drive the OS is on dies and you don't have a backup, you can just get a new drive (disconnect the raid drives first), reinstall, and put the raid disks back in. Worst comes to worst you can actually take out the raid drives and read them fine on any linux system.

Finally, make sure that things you aren't using are disabled. SSH, and whatever is should be turned off if you don't.

Holographic storage would fit the bill. When you cut a hologram in half, you get two complete holograms with half the intensity.

A while back I started setting up personal in home only owncloud servers, its like dropbox
All of my Computers sync on this server and I use it for syncing all manner of projects and shitposting material across the network on all my computers

Currently I use an Orange Pi One with a 16GB microSD for the main drive and I have all the cloud files on a 64GB USB3 stick plugged into it, it's mounted to the folder where the cloud files are stored

I never got around to sharing how I set it up on an SBC but I did post how I made a Virtual Machine of Ubuntu LTS with owncloud on it if you're interested
>>>/poltech/184

>freenas.org/
what's up with the bloat tho, it's a BSDĀ® system that fucking stores files on
fucking rotational velodiscency drives, and has a web page interface for braindead normie "admins", right?
yah nah m8, i'm fine with my OpenWRT arm box, no Intel CIA niggers are gonna get my precious files.

The Orange Pi One I use for my cloud server only has half a gig of ram and it runs a little slow but works fine

aliexpress.com/store/product/Orange-Pi-One-ubuntu-linux-and-android-mini-PC-Beyond-and-Compatible-with-Raspberry-Pi-2/1553371_32603308880.html

I'm a recovering data hoarder so this is what I did. I took a harsh look at what I really needed and valued vs crap that I simply hoarded.
Then I moved on to simplifying the technical stuff.
OS is on main drive. Secondary drive is where I put data or content I have or made. I try to have a scheduled review what I need to backup, onto external HDD and optical media backup.

If I'm using a single drive or SSD on the machine, I'll make a folder labelled WORK DATA or something and review that for backups. I'm still a recovering hoarder but I try to simplify and reduce the cruft.

ZFS loves RAM for caching. You can run it on less if you want, but I guess performance can suffer a bit.

It's for ZFS
You can run it on a router with under 100mb if you tweak it

My rule of thumb when I'm housecleaning is: "Have I actually accessed this file in the last year?" If the honest answer is "no" and there's no clear, compelling reason to keep it, it gets axed.

That's a pretty good guideline, I got some stuff that I need to do a review soon that can probably free up at least 200 gig or so on my 500gig portable HDD.

But what about all the old memes?

Bumb

It's really, really not. LTO tapes are solid and fuck and don't care if you throw them across the room.

But of course, don't do that. Put them in a cool, dark, dry place, in their individual cases, and forget about them until they are needed.

They return to becoming dreams again.