They sell you the idea that free software is simple, just download the sources, run "make/install" and you good to go...

They sell you the idea that free software is simple, just download the sources, run "make/install" and you good to go. The thing is EVERY FUCKING PACKAGE I TRY TO COMPILE GIVES A SHITTONS OF ERRORS

I'm not returning to windows world because of this btwJust pissed off

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg.git
krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/
appimage.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Well these errors often say things, OP. Perhaps you should try reading them and following their instruction. Most times they are pretty direct about what they want from you too. In fact, I haven't met one that wasn't, unless it was a segmentation fault caused by a shitty bash script.

>back to (((winblows)))
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Maybe read the fucking manpage on how to disable some warning messages.

And it's a wonder people haven't switched en masse, with all of Microsoft's fuckery in politics, education, business, and technology?

you need to have the headers and libraries it depends on. when they don't document what those are its sort of shitty having to google what package each thing it tells you you need is in.
sometimes you also need to configure the makefiles a bit.
ive never gotten any errors more obscure or difficult to figure out than this, though in the case of fucking wine they were too overwhelming to deal with it all.

this is another thing. it seems like a lot of people just dont even read what errors say, their eyes just glaze over and the folds in their brain smooth over when it doesnt just DO THING ME WANT
then even if they do read the error message, and under any other circumstances if you posed it to them as a question and asked them to guess what one would do about it they'd be able to guess a nearly correct answer, but now that they've gotten it they just sit their drooling.
fuck, I remember being kind of like this when I first started using command line software.

make 2>/dev/null

you know what will happen next…

Crashing this program, with no memory surviving.

Most errors can be avoided simply by reading the readme's that come with the source package, and making sure you have all dependencies installed, all of the required build tools installed, etc, etc. Then if there are still errors, just search the compiler output for them and fix the issues. It's not that hard, unless you're impatient, lazy, or stupid.

Either you don't have the right compiler+build tools, or you don't have the right dependencies. If you are getting compile errors, that's the problem almost every time. Either that or it's a legitimate bug in the program, but a show-stopping compilation bug for an established program is fairly rare.

Ha ha ha! Look at all these autistic Linux apologists trying to convince OP that it's his fault that software can't be installed easily!

Year of the Linux Desktop postponed for the foreseeable future, at least as long as these elitist faggots are still alive.

You can return to Windows (obv. avoid version 10) and still enjoy Linux stuff in it: check out the MSYS2 project.

That's why I never compile. Too much stress and wasted time.

There is nothing wrong with Windows 10, homolord. Anyone with a JOB (ie not autists like you) happily gets their work done with it

Yes, I recommend that all cognitively challenged individuals stick with Windows. They'll be a lot less agitated and there will be fewer tardrage Holla Forums threads.

You're probably just missing a few of the libraries that you need. If you install them then make and install should work.

Everyone knows that you are supposed to follow instructions or pay someone to assemble it for you. Why do people always throw common sense out of the window when it comes to software? OP downloaded the source code and attempted to compile it without following any instructions. If you don't know how to compile software use a package manager or download a pre-compiled binary.

t. never wrote or even compiled a program in his full 12 years of life

You usually need to install some dependencies, too.
I recommend against compiling your own software if you can avoid it. Always check to see if a package for your distro already exists.
If you want to compile something to get a newer version than what's packaged, and you use Debian or something based on Debian (anything with apt) use the apt-get build-dep command to install the dependencies you need for compiling.

Threads like this make me glad it's not. Despite an unprecedented level of spoon-feeding there are still a bunch of retard niggers that can't do simple things, and are afraid to learn.

Your elitist attitude is what keeps Linux from being suitable for normies. Don't worry though, you can keep it!

Do you know why MS-DOS beat Unix? Never mind.

nope, the right answer is
undefined behavior

Use package management software like apt or pacman or rpm instead.

Android is Linux and normies like it, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Because the IBM PC was shit and needed something equally shit to run with. You weren't going to run Unix on an 8088 in real mode, faggot.

Expecting people to be able to figure out that

and apply the apropriate solution is not "elitism". There should not be some horrible clusterfuck bloat that enables compiling programs without having the godamn dependencies and build tools etc. Install from the package manager or read the README/google what package 'libXt.h' is in when it says its missing.

Two out of one software should list Google as a dependency.

disgusting

Are you some kind of quiche-eater?

You must be using debian or ubuntu. Try a source based distro.
I had trouble compiling i3-gaps on a raspbian because of a bunch of dependencies that is not in the repo so I decided to stick with i3.

I know that feel, bro. It happens.

I didn't build with -Wall once and had to reinstall Gentoo to rid my computer from the illegal aliens who got into my program.

What was the point of this post? What do you expect aside shitposting? Idiot.

Source isn't a package, it's source. If you want to download ffmpeg, for instance
apt-get install ffmpeg
If you want to build from source it becomes a bit more complicated. You'll need to download a compiler and some additional tools. This will hopefully pull additional shit you might need.
apt-get install build-essential cmake automake autoconf m4 libtool-bin git
Now lets get build dependencies for ffmpeg.
apt-get build-dep ffmpeg
You're now ready to download source.
git clone github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg.git
On bigger programs, you might need to git clone --recursive to get everything. If you see CMake files in the source the easiest way to handle this is
cd source && mkdir build && cd build
cmake ../
make
make install
For most source code, it's as simple as this
./configure
make
make install
If you happen to see a .ac file like configure.ac
autoconf
Occasionally you might see a shell script file in the root directory of the source folder.
chmod +x *.sh
./*.sh

This will compile 99.9999% of source out there. If you don't have apt package manager, you had better hope yours has a build-dep equivalent.

compiling C/C++ code is mega gay, have to agree with you there

Install NetBSD.

this is why MS charges money for Windows and Linux is still 'free'

Linux is slowly suffering feature drift toward Windows-like function, but it's still years away from being equivalent.
and always will be.
that's why next year is always going to be "the year of Linux on the desktop"

...early on Linux didnt install any GUI, and lots of people got stuck on trying to install a GUI, so they gave up. and now most of the distros install a GUI and boot into it by default. just like Windows.

...early on Linux didn't even try to automatically detect any hardware and install the right drivers for it. all you got was the CLI and the keyboard/mouse and screen, and everything else you had to ID and install by hand. Now Linux does that stuff automatically, just like Windows.

...early on Linux didn't have any utility to help with updating all the critical OS files, so you were expected to check dozens of system utilites for updates--each separately--by hand,,,, when you had no idea what to even check..... Now most of them have one GUI-interface 'updater' that you click one button on, and it checks most of that stuff for you, and then it can go and download whatever needs to be updated and install it. just like Windows.

autists may screech--but everything Linux needs to get more users involves copying Windows looks and features.

Android doesn't compile from source, so it skips all of OP's problems entirely
also writing anything complicated for Android sucks, because hardware manufacturers write shitty drivers and then don't publicly document them

yea but,,,,,
if you're gonna compile it, then you need to do { all that stuff } anyway
so why doesn't komputar just get that stuff automatically?

if you wanted to keep the option would be fine, but there's no reason to make a user type all that shit out every time, when they're always going to do the same things anyway

how about a [[[one-click installer]]] ???????

Jesus Christ, really?
Install Gentoo

NO! Install NetBSD!

Good post but I disagree with the above conclusion.

The copying peaked with KDE3 (Windows XP) and a damn good period that was. But now the time to copy Windows has passed. Now the time is to refine Linux and they're fucking it up. They bury the Desktop while it's still alive because they want to play around with greasy touchscreens and invent new ways to cloud things up.

Source based distros are autistic. If OP wants to compile programs himself, he should use a minimal but sane system like CRUX or Slackware.

There's already an OS for helpless retards called "Windows". Please use that and stop asking why Linux isn't for helpless retards, too.

That's like asking "if I can buy bread, who doesn't the flour and yeast just bake itself?". The source code is the raw ingredients, and compiling it is like baking the bread.

What you want is a package manager. It's like a baking machine: you type in what you want and the manager will download everything you need and compile it for you.

You have multiple options. Compiling from source is the One True Way, and package managers build on top of that. If you decided to compile from source you have no one to blame but yourself.

That's a pre-compiled binary. Some software offer those. Krita for instance can be installed from an AppImage:
krita.org/en/download/krita-desktop/
appimage.org/
It's just that AppImage is a fairly new thing, so not every software supports it.

Now, imagine being a developer trying to use a library:

This so goddamn fucking much. It's like nobody reads fucking errors except "Error". Even if it's something like
They come to mailing lists and IRC pasting the fucking message. I'm fucking livid about this shit.

disregarded
Slackware is good, but I'm autistic about USE flags.

Well no, point is you are free to modify it.

You're also free to write your own operating system, but that doesn't mean you want to do it instead of having the current one just fucking work.

This may come as a shock so I hope you're sitting down before you read this: development tools are intended for developers

Software doesn't grow on trees, somebody has to take responsibility to configure your software for you. The only person who is responsible for your software is yourself and nobody else. If you can't take the effort to do it yourself, this means that you need to find a skilled helper who can do it for you.

We"re not fucking responsible for your brain cancer.

babbys first build from source.

excellent.

You can always demand a full refund.

Who?
Here's your refund. Fuck off.

Android is not "Linux". It includes the kernel Linux, but referring to Android as "Linux" would be like calling an automobile a steering wheel.

An automobile includes a steering wheel, but referring to an automobile as "a steering wheel" would be like calling the GNU operating system "Linux".